My thoughts on Robby Anderson

15 hours ago, Warfish said:

Isn't everything? :)

We can certainly try and find out. 

Means he's not a NY Jet.  He's a Free Agent.  

Gotcha, at first you said that he wasnt a free agent, which made it confusing. It was just a typo. 

Like all the other Free Agents.  He isn't special just because he played here in the past.  

Then I dont know why we get all amp'd up talking about cap space and potential free agents. They're not even special. ?

If we can do better, we must.

Facts, which is what we're doing. Robby Anderson as the #2 WR would be the best #2 we've had since Eric Decker and Santana Moss. 

Robby isnt a #1 WR. That's what we need. We already have a #2 WR who's just been playing out of position for 4 years. 

He's our Will Fuller, we just dont have a DeAndre Hopkins. 

Nope, I'm done doing all the legwork for people for them to turn around and tell me numbers don't matter/can't be used/aren't relevant/something something "eye test".

So you do all the leg work for folks who didnt care for it, then the moment you come across someone who cares for it, you provide an excuse based on folks who actually didnt care for the leg work? I mean, if you did it so many times then all you have to do is to provide a link to where I can find it. 

Agree to disagree.  I wouldn't pay Robby a penny, personally.  We can do better.

Like who? Or is that too much leg work? ?

What we paid Apple when Pear was GM is irrelevant to what we might be willing to pay Orange when Pineapple is GM.

I dont know what you're saying, but what I do know is that suddenly I want a fruit smoothie. 

fruit smoothie vegan GIF by Petter Pentilä

• Haha 2

On 1/22/2020 at 7:38 AM, GREENBEAN said:

look at Anthony Barr last year as an example. He had more money on the table from the Jets but wanted to stay on the team he was on.

Barr played Macc like a fiddle. He used the Jets to up the Vikings offer, just like Cousins. That's happened way too often in the past.

I hope JD is able avoid these guys.

• Upvote 2

Barr played Macc like a fiddle. He used the Jets to up the Vikings offer, just like Cousins. That's happened way too often in the past.
I hope JD is able avoid these guys.

And I don’t think he regrets it one bit. lol

I wouldn’t go near anyone from the Vikings for the next decade. They have a habit of getting the better of us.
Like you I hope it’s in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

And I don’t think he regrets it one bit. lol

I wouldn’t go near anyone from the Vikings for the next decade. They have a habit of getting the better of us.
Like you I hope it’s in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

but they end up with Cousins for 3 years at a high cost.  He has one more year left.  Was it worth it?  It's all or nothing for them with Cousins next year.  I think the 3 year fully guaranteed novelty of the Kirk Cousins contract didn't work, but mainly because he isn't good enough. Now they have a tough decision to extend him for even more money.  Glad it's not us. 

19 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I didn't think I harped on the arrests too much considering I said I want to pay him $16m for 1 year haha but I mention the 2 incidents because those are absolutely red flags. You don't need to be charged with a crime to be suspended by the NFL. 

Funny thing is, when the story first broke I was ready to run Robby off the team, I envisioned him and the cop smacking each other right on the pavement.  After all that was dropped and in the end Robby only got reckless driving, I felt the story was a big nothing after all.

I don't think Robby has done anything to be stuck with a "red flag".  Not compared to the drag-a-hooker-by-the-hair-across-the-stage-at-a-strip-club level the league had attained awhile ago, and so much more.  Robby's stuff is barely worth mentioning, let alone red flagging.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kelticwizard said:

Funny thing is, when the story first broke I was ready to run Robby off the team, I envisioned him and the cop smacking each other right on the pavement.  After all that was dropped and in the end Robby only got reckless driving, I felt the story was a big nothing after all.

I don't think Robby has done anything to be stuck with a "red flag".  Not compared to the drag-a-hooker-by-the-hair-across-the-stage-at-a-strip-club level the league had attained awhile ago, and so much more.  Robby's stuff is barely worth mentioning, let alone red flagging.

Yea he was charged with those 9 things purely because of the comment he made. They threw the book at him because of it. I think it's something to be aware of. Most teams are building in escape hatches into contracts so they can get off the hook if things go sideways.

9 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

This. 

Robby's history is literally nothing that would consider him as being a red flag. 

If a person who knew absolutely nothing about Robby, simply read these forum posts regarding Robby over the years, along with the constant posting of his mug shot, one could come away thinking that this guy was some hardened criminal who should be in a cell next to Aaron Hernandez. 

To show how irrelevant this is, we're in an era where the NFL is fining and suspending folks for damn near anything, (such as making a football-play in football) and yet the NFL nor the Jets front office directly found it necessary to suspend Robby or even fine him. That's unprecedented for a guy who's such the red flag.

Speaking of fines, the only blemish on Robby's record is a 12K fine from 2017....for throwing his helmet on the field in frustration. 

When it comes to the over-the-top reaction from fans, do you know what this reminds me of? John Abraham. I remember for years and years Jets fans criticizing him for not playing hurt and taking time off and refusing to play given his injuries, calling him selfish or anything else that came to mind. 15 years later John Abraham is a poster child for sports-related concussions and massive memory loss, due to playing a sport so violent that when he tried to take time to actually heal himself, fans lost their sh*t. 

• Post of the Week 1

52 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

When it comes to the over-the-top reaction from fans, do you know what this reminds me of? John Abraham. I remember for years and years Jets fans criticizing him for not playing hurt and taking time off and refusing to play given his injuries, calling him selfish or anything else that came to mind. 15 years later John Abraham is a poster child for sports-related concussions and massive memory loss, due to playing a sport so violent that when he tried to take time to actually heal himself, fans lost their sh*t. 

Wasn't the issue with Abraham the minor injuries that are easy to play through, not the concussions/head injuries? 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

@Villain The Foe

If Robby is as good as you think he is, won't there be lots of interest around the league for him, driving up his price?

It seems like there is some sort of interest there given that just this past december this was posted as a thread. 

Also, you said "If Robby is as good as I think he is...". Are you suggesting that Robby Anderson isnt a #2 WR in this league? 

21 hours ago, Warfish said:

#1 Justin Jefferson (WR), LSU.  6'3", 192 (2nd Round 2020 Pick)

#2 Jamison Crowder (On Roster)

#3 Michael Pittman Jr., (WR), USU.  6'5" (3rd Round 2020 Pick)

If you want to flip use of our #1 (which I would use on O-lIne) to WR (and do O-line in the 2nd), the replace Jefferson with Jerry Jeudy (Alabama) | 6'0/192 or CeeDee Lamb (Oklahoma) | 6'1/189, one of which will be available at #11 IMO.

Anderson?  He's a #4 in the group.  Pay him as a #4, or get another #4 in to replace him.

JMO.  

Pittman an Robby are two completely different WRs, one a speed guy the other a big WR.  

Out of this group, until proven otherwise Robby is the same as he was a year ago, the 2nd receiver to Crowder

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

@Villain The Foe

If Robby is as good as you think he is, won't there be lots of interest around the league for him, driving up his price?

THis is , aparrently, RA's plan. See what the market says. SHrug. We've spent plenny o time wondering EXACTLY what type of WR RA is..   we all basically know if we have watched. Some say this, some say that....   facts say he's a WR#2 type.

He was an UDFA and he's done well on a talent poor team. Shrug again.

We need as good as Crowder and Robby PLUS ANOTHER BETTER WR. If we get ridda Crowder or Robb, we need to replace w/ as good or better. Much easier said than done, tho, of course, not impossible.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Losmeister said:

THis is , aparrently, RA's plan. See what the market says. SHrug. We've spent plenny o time wondering EXACTLY what type of WR RA is..   we all basically know if we have watched. Some say this, some say that....   facts say he's a WR#2 type.

He was an UDFA and he's done well on a talent poor team. Shrug again.

We need as good as Crowder and Robby PLUS ANOTHER BETTER WR. If we get ridda Crowder or Robb, we need to replace w/ as good or better. Much easier said than done, tho, of course, not impossible.

Jeudy and Lamb are such good route runners they can go to the nfl and be impact players right away

trade Jamal for picks so we can get one of them please

On 1/25/2020 at 9:04 AM, bla bla bla said:

Wasn't the issue with Abraham the minor injuries that are easy to play through, not the concussions/head injuries? 

yes.  To the best of my recollection, it had nothing to do with concussions at the time.  Or at least the public wasn't informed thereof if that was the case.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

You mean when Abe did a Porzingis and sat out games while healthy?

How do you know he was healthy, because of the "team doctor"? 

Based on the current results, he wasnt as healthy as fans pretend to know. What's worse is that fans can see the outcome and dont give a sh*t about it. This is why I 100% supported Revis with what he was doing. He was approaching it the way he should have, as a shrewd business man.

On 1/22/2020 at 8:45 AM, FidelioJet said:

Keeping Robby should be a priority.  

Yes, he’s probably needs to be your 2nd threat or even 3rd but he would become invaluable if we can find a true #1 type that will require double coverage over the middle.  We need speed...

I would def. try and keep the guaranteed money to under 3 years though - once he loses even a bit on his quick twitch he becomes basically useless.  My guess is he has 3 more years at or close to this level and he’s done..

Yes we do. Look at the Chiefs with Hill, Hardman & Watkins and a fast TE in Kielce. Hollywood with the Ravens and Debo and Sanders with 49ers with the best overall TE in Kittle

On 1/26/2020 at 10:40 AM, Villain The Foe said:

Based on the current results, he wasnt as healthy as fans pretend to know. What's worse is that fans can see the outcome and dont give a sh*t about it. This is why I 100% supported Revis with what he was doing. He was approaching it the way he should have, as a shrewd business man.

The entire league and media knew Abe could play it leaked out and he was called out by teammates for it

POS sat out multiple playoff games because he had a contract year coming up

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

The entire league and media knew Abe could play it leaked out and he was called out by teammates for it

POS sat out multiple playoff games because he had a contract year coming up

This doesnt sound like a guy who's healthy, nor does it sound like the entire league and media felt differently. It sounds like he was protecting himself from further injury since he wasnt healthy enough to play and he feared being injured. 

Who would know that more than the man himself? Oh, you would of course. You're Philc1. 

https://nypost.com/2005/01/06/john-wont-put-himself-on-spot-abraham-isnt-sure-hell-play/

JOHN WON’T PUT HIMSELF ON SPOT – ABRAHAM ISN’T SURE HE’LL PLAY

January 6, 2005 | 5:00am

What was such great news only a day ago now has become a somewhat murky situation, leaving the Jets a bit on edge.

Despite John Abraham’s improved status on the injury report and the fact he’s been practicing since Friday, he suddenly doesn’t seem like such a lock to return to the field Saturday for the Jets’ wild-card playoff game against the Chargers in San Diego.

After Herman Edwards had, since Monday, given the impression his Pro Bowl defensive end, who missed the past four games with a sprained right knee, would be ready to return, Abraham yesterday left everyone with this distinct message: Not too fast.

Abraham sounded a lot less optimistic than the impression the club had been giving. It’s clear he’s torn between taking a chance on reinjuring himself for the sake of his teammates and wanting to remain healthy to secure his future.

Abraham, who had 9 ½ sacks in the 12 regular-season games he played before he was injured, is an unrestricted free agent after this season, and the Jets have made no overtures toward re-signing him.

There’s rampant speculation they’ll put a franchise tag on him to keep him here another year, but who knows what his fate would be if he found himself facing offseason knee surgery?

“I want to be out on the field, but also I have to be smart,” Abraham said yesterday after practice. “I have a long career ahead of me and I can’t go out there and hurt my knee again. Right now, I’m not planning on having surgery, so I don’t want to run back out there too soon and get another injury to this knee and have to get surgery or something like that.”

Though Edwards yesterday said, “The player always has to protect himself,” it seemed clear the team believes Abraham is well enough to play.

Asked if there’s “any doubt” Abraham will play in some capacity, Edwards said, “Yeah, some, because he has not physically done it yet. He has to, in his own mind, say, I can go full speed and this is how it’s going to feel when I go full speed. And when I get hit and fall down on it, this is how it’s going to feel.

“He has not felt that because he just started trying to go full speed again [yesterday].”

If Abraham decides after today’s short practice before the team departs for San Diego that he’s ready to play, Edwards said it would be “big” to have him available to rush the passer. In Abraham’s absence, the Jets have nine sacks in four games.

“If 94 [Abraham] comes out there, he’s a guy of concern now,” Edwards said. “He’s a different dimension. You have to know where 94 is at if you’re going to lean back and throw the football, that’s for sure.”

Abraham, headed to his third Pro Bowl next month, said he’s “weighing” his options.

“I want to be 80 or 90 percent before I go out there,” Abraham said. “I have to know if I go out there, I don’t want to have to injure this knee again and have to get surgery. I think we avoided surgery just letting it heal for the last four weeks and I don’t want to have to put myself in a situation that I am going to need surgery if I go out there and get hurt again.”

Asked what exact percentage he feels he is at now, Abraham said, “I am practicing percent. I can’t really judge the percentage I am right now because it is different when you put pads on. Right now I am just going through the motions, but [today] I will probably be a little more knowledgeable about what is going on and how I am feeling.”

Asked if the Jets are leaving the decision to play up to him, Abraham said, “Pretty much. I don’t think they can make me go out there. I am not trying to say that in a bad way, but I don’t think they can make someone go out and play.”

Asked if the team is “suggesting” he play, Abraham said, “Yeah, but I am suggesting I want to play, too. Everybody wants me to play. There isn’t anybody that wants me to sit out. I have to think about the long-term right now. I don’t want to go out there and seriously injure myself any more than I already have.”

Robbie Anderson's numbers say he's a good receiver. Better than average but NOT great. We also must discuss his past because he's not always the sharpest knife in the drawer. Although it seems as though he may found his brain recently. I would like to see JD resign but ONLY if the price is right. A player with similar stats and a clean off the field record should get more than Robbie because he hasn't been a d*ckhead. I'd offer him 10 per with contract language that takes away money if he becomes an idiot again. If he doesn't like that, or finds another suitor? See ya, Robbie. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/22/2020 at 12:31 AM, bla bla bla said:

Do we resign him?

- Career earnings so far $4m

- never broke 1000 yards

- Tyrell Williams got 4 years $44m last year

- Robby has a thing for peanuts on ladies faces or at least that's what I got from the police report.

Great work. Always look forward to your vids

• Post of the Week 1

19 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Multiple?  I can buy the hangover story, but 2004 was a crock of sh*t.  He couldn't go and everyone knew it.

16 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

This doesnt sound like a guy who's healthy, nor does it sound like the entire league and media felt differently. It sounds like he was protecting himself from further injury since he wasnt healthy enough to play and he feared being injured. 

Who would know that more than the man himself? Oh, you would of course. You're Philc1. 

https://nypost.com/2005/01/06/john-wont-put-himself-on-spot-abraham-isnt-sure-hell-play/

JOHN WON’T PUT HIMSELF ON SPOT – ABRAHAM ISN’T SURE HE’LL PLAY

January 6, 2005 | 5:00am

What was such great news only a day ago now has become a somewhat murky situation, leaving the Jets a bit on edge.

Despite John Abraham’s improved status on the injury report and the fact he’s been practicing since Friday, he suddenly doesn’t seem like such a lock to return to the field Saturday for the Jets’ wild-card playoff game against the Chargers in San Diego.

After Herman Edwards had, since Monday, given the impression his Pro Bowl defensive end, who missed the past four games with a sprained right knee, would be ready to return, Abraham yesterday left everyone with this distinct message: Not too fast.

Abraham sounded a lot less optimistic than the impression the club had been giving. It’s clear he’s torn between taking a chance on reinjuring himself for the sake of his teammates and wanting to remain healthy to secure his future.

Abraham, who had 9 ½ sacks in the 12 regular-season games he played before he was injured, is an unrestricted free agent after this season, and the Jets have made no overtures toward re-signing him.

There’s rampant speculation they’ll put a franchise tag on him to keep him here another year, but who knows what his fate would be if he found himself facing offseason knee surgery?

“I want to be out on the field, but also I have to be smart,” Abraham said yesterday after practice. “I have a long career ahead of me and I can’t go out there and hurt my knee again. Right now, I’m not planning on having surgery, so I don’t want to run back out there too soon and get another injury to this knee and have to get surgery or something like that.”

Though Edwards yesterday said, “The player always has to protect himself,” it seemed clear the team believes Abraham is well enough to play.

Asked if there’s “any doubt” Abraham will play in some capacity, Edwards said, “Yeah, some, because he has not physically done it yet. He has to, in his own mind, say, I can go full speed and this is how it’s going to feel when I go full speed. And when I get hit and fall down on it, this is how it’s going to feel.

“He has not felt that because he just started trying to go full speed again [yesterday].”

If Abraham decides after today’s short practice before the team departs for San Diego that he’s ready to play, Edwards said it would be “big” to have him available to rush the passer. In Abraham’s absence, the Jets have nine sacks in four games.

“If 94 [Abraham] comes out there, he’s a guy of concern now,” Edwards said. “He’s a different dimension. You have to know where 94 is at if you’re going to lean back and throw the football, that’s for sure.”

Abraham, headed to his third Pro Bowl next month, said he’s “weighing” his options.

“I want to be 80 or 90 percent before I go out there,” Abraham said. “I have to know if I go out there, I don’t want to have to injure this knee again and have to get surgery. I think we avoided surgery just letting it heal for the last four weeks and I don’t want to have to put myself in a situation that I am going to need surgery if I go out there and get hurt again.”

Asked what exact percentage he feels he is at now, Abraham said, “I am practicing percent. I can’t really judge the percentage I am right now because it is different when you put pads on. Right now I am just going through the motions, but [today] I will probably be a little more knowledgeable about what is going on and how I am feeling.”

Asked if the Jets are leaving the decision to play up to him, Abraham said, “Pretty much. I don’t think they can make me go out there. I am not trying to say that in a bad way, but I don’t think they can make someone go out and play.”

Asked if the team is “suggesting” he play, Abraham said, “Yeah, but I am suggesting I want to play, too. Everybody wants me to play. There isn’t anybody that wants me to sit out. I have to think about the long-term right now. I don’t want to go out there and seriously injure myself any more than I already have.”

That green kool aid must taste yummy

9 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

That green kool aid must taste yummy

I think the one drinking the green Kool Aid is the one that doesn't understand that injured players can't play.   If only Abraham wasn't in a contract year, we'd have won!  Boo hoo!  I saw him try to practice for the 2004/2005 playoffs.  He wasn't going by anyone.  He could barely get out of his stance.  People were already hating on him for missing time for the migraine/hangover.  Otherwise, this would be a non-issue.

On 1/26/2020 at 10:40 AM, Villain The Foe said:

Abraham left an impression of of a player who wouldnt play when others would have all on his own.   

He announced that it was his career and if he was hurting or didn't get back to where he wanted to be to play he wasnt playing in that playoff game and risking re injuring himself.

Not going with the "what if" defense for him sitting out when Herm, staff and players all made it clear they thought he could play.  Who know, but I'm not guessing either way and not going to blame anyone who didnt agree with him sitting.

On 1/25/2020 at 3:12 PM, Jet Nut said:

Pittman an Robby are two completely different WRs, one a speed guy the other a big WR.

Yes, correct.

IMO one is much better suited to Sam Darnold's skill-set and talents.  One is not.

On 1/25/2020 at 3:12 PM, Jet Nut said:

Out of this group, until proven otherwise Robby is the same as he was a year ago, the 2nd receiver to Crowder

Actually, till proven otherwise with a contract, Robby is a Free Agent :)

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Yes, correct.

IMO one is much better suited to Sam Darnold's skill-set and talents.  One is not.

Actually, till proven otherwise with a contract, Robby is a Free Agent :)

Not actually seeing how a strong armed QB who can make every throw needed would benefit one or the other.  He could make both work IMO. 

Not to argue semantics but Robbys not a free agent.  No one is yet, FA period is March and I think Robby could sign with the Jets tomorrow if they wanted too, right?  

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Not actually seeing how a strong armed QB who can make every throw needed would benefit one or the other.  He could make both work IMO. 

Agree to disagree: Sam (so far) has been less than stellar at the deep pass, and is not (IMO) an accurate or strong deep ball thrower at the NFL level.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Not to argue semantics but Robbys not a free agent.  No one is yet, FA period is March and I think Robby could sign with the Jets tomorrow if they wanted too, right?  

Technically correct IS the best kind of correct, that's true.  He will be a Free Agent in March.

I honestly don't know the rules, if he can sign now or has to wait.

I will say I don't expect him to be signed here, but we'll see.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Agree to disagree: Sam (so far) has been less than stellar at the deep pass, and is not (IMO) an accurate or strong deep ball thrower at the NFL level.

Technically correct IS the best kind of correct, that's true.  He will be a Free Agent in March.

I honestly don't know the rules, if he can sign now or has to wait.

I will say I don't expect him to be signed here, but we'll see.

Any analysis of Sams ability to throw long has been effected by the inability of the OL to hold off defenders long enough to allow a deep passing game.  When he has had time Sam to Robby has worked pretty well.  

Thats all I'm saying