Eli Manning to Retire on Friday

Welp

37 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

He shouldn't be but he probably is because people think QB's win championships in the ultimate team sport. No way he ever deserved superbowl mvp either.

He also passed for a ton of yards, never missed a game, iconic moments with the Tyree and Manningham plays, the GB game in subzero temps, his performance against an all time defense in SF and obviously the name recognition. I think you can make a case either way but he's a lock to make it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He also passed for a ton of yards, never missed a game, iconic moments with the Tyree and Manningham plays, the GB game in subzero temps, his performance against an all time defense in SF and obviously the name recognition. I think you can make a case either way but he's a lock to make it.

He was never even a top 5 QB amongst his peers. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

I’d sign up for Sam to have half the career Eli had.

Absolutely.  That’s why I could care less if he ever wins a MVP or gets the same attention the running QBs are getting.  If he gets us a Super Bowl that’s all I care about 

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

He shouldn't be but he probably is because people think QB's win championships in the ultimate team sport. No way he ever deserved superbowl mvp either.

That and him also being top 10 in every single QB stat that counts.

53 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I keep hearing from my friends who are all giants fans that us jets fans all hated Eli

thoughts?

Excuse me while I whip this out!!!

I think Eli Manning is a huge goober with a really bad haircut and a permanent stuffy nose, who lived off his older brother's reputation.  He got lucky in two Super Bowls.

Whenever they play the Mayberry music on WFAN I laugh till I am in tears. Now watch out for falling Frozen iguanas the weekend may be windy.

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

He was never even a top 5 QB amongst his peers. 

I completely agree, and personally, I wouldn't vote for Manning for this basic reason. To me, a hall of famer has to have been among the very best (top 3-5ish) at his position for a significant period of time. Manning arguably never had a single season in which he was a top 3 QB. 

Having said that, he is 100% going to get in. 

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

I keep hearing from my friends who are all giants fans that us jets fans all hated Eli

thoughts?

I never hated him and I rooted for him in the first Superbowl against the Pats. 

I do think the NY media overrates him dramatically because of the two rings. Week in and week out, he was never a great player.

But he had two iconic playoff runs and you can certainly never take that away from him. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

And again, hes top 10 in every relevant number.

Right, because he was solid for a very long time. That is a testament to his durability. 

But what people are saying is that he was never dominant and/or "great" on a consistent basis. He never was close to being a top 3 QB in any given year. Week in and week out, he was anywhere from decent to good, but was rarely great. 

Basically, he was a good QB for a very long time, but he wasn't a great one.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Right, because he was solid for a very long time. That is a testament to his durability. 

But what people are saying is that he was never dominant and/or "great" on a consistent basis. He never was close to being a top 3 QB in any given year. Week in and week out, he was anywhere from decent to good, but was rarely great. 

Basically, he was a good QB for a very long time, but he wasn't a great one.

I agree, he was never an elite QB, he was a really solid QB.  Toss in longevity and 2 SB rings along with MVPs of both games.

Best ability is availability 

Hard to argue with the recipe, it spells HOF, even if he was just, well Eli

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

Says who?  He played in an era with an abundance of real Hall Of Famers and outside of two miracle drives against the Pats he looked quite average by comparison. 

SAR I

His best games those seasons were not the Super Bowls. He was phenomenal in two road NFC championship games.

I have been on the fence with whether or not Eli is a Hall of Fame quarterback but I am now in the Yes category.  He played a long time, put up some big numbers, and shined brightly during the most clutch situations. Winning one Super Bowl is something that we all hope we get to see our Jets do at some point. Eli won 2 and was the MVP of both games. He delivered when the chips were down and belongs in the Hall of Fame.  Only two quarterbacks have more Super Bowl MVP awards, Joe Montana and Tom Brady. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

I never hated him and I rooted for him in the first Superbowl against the Pats. 

I do think the NY media overrates him dramatically because of the two rings. Week in and week out, he was never a great player.

But he had two iconic playoff runs and you can certainly never take that away from him. 

If Eli had won one single lucky Super Bowl this might be true. Winning two is a big deal. Dan Marino has zero rings.  Aaron Rodgers only has one, in part due to Eli preventing him from winning the NFC championship game in Green Bay in 2008.

Eli also is a 4-time Pro Bowler with 57,000+ yards passing. I can’t argue for a guy like Joe Klecko to be in the Hall of Fame but say that Eli shouldn’t be there.

Eli may not be a first ballot guy, but he deserves to get in there.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

If Eli had won one single lucky Super Bowl this might be true. Winning two is a big deal. Dan Marino has zero rings.  Aaron Rodgers only has one, in part due to Eli preventing him from winning the NFC championship game in Green Bay in 2008.

Eli also is a 4-time Pro Bowler with 57,000+ yards passing. I can’t argue for a guy like Joe Klecko to be in the Hall of Fame but say that Eli shouldn’t be there.

4 time pro-bowler just isn’t enough for me. I want hall of famers to have been elite at their position for an extended period of time. I don’t want pro-bowls (which are popularity contests anyway), I want all-pros.

Also, the fact that Dan Marino doesn’t have a ring and Eli has 2 only emphasizes how poor of a metric Super Bowl  rings are for assessing QBs. Dan Marino is a top 5 GOAT and Eli is . . . Not. 

I just have a high standard for the hall of fame. 

But Eli was a good QB and what his teams accomplished in the playoffs can never be diminished. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

His best games those seasons were not the Super Bowls. He was phenomenal in two road NFC championship games.

I have been on the fence with whether or not Eli is a Hall of Fame quarterback but I am now in the Yes category.  He played a long time, put up some big numbers, and shined brightly during the most clutch situations. Winning one Super Bowl is something that we all hope we get to see our Jets do at some point. Eli won 2 and was the MVP of both games. He delivered when the chips were down and belongs in the Hall of Fame.  Only two quarterbacks have more Super Bowl MVP awards, Joe Montana and Tom Brady. 

that’s fair 

He was a gamer, but I wouldn’t say he was “phenomenal” against the 49ers in the second title game. 

That defense mostly beat him up. The Giants won that game because of 49er punt returner muffs. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Something tells me @nyjunc    willl bludgeon you to submission telling you in intimate detail why he won't.

Right up to the day he takes his playe in the HOF

I don't think we'll have to worry about that but maybe 50 years from now when they have the 150 class like they did with the 100 this year.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Favre was the QB in the NFC championship game in January of 08.

Eli earned just 2 pro bowls, he made 2 others as a replacement when the real pro bowlers dropped out.

He never made any all pro team, whether the official one or the million unofficial ones.

He was never a great QB, he had a nice career.  He doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame and from what I'm reading I'm encouraged he won't make it in.  Many say he's in because of the SBs but so many see the whole picture and realize he was never a great QB.

• Upvote 1