Today's South Practice Recap

Good news for us Jet fans. The offensive line was very impressive in the one on one drills. Only one defensive player held his own and is a player and yes his name is Javon Kinlow. He is a stud. Simple he should go in the top 12.  Now back to the offensive line. Two players here I don't know anything about. The two are the Canadian OT Ben Bartch and the other OT is Alex Taylor of South Carolina St.  Bartch seemed like he was over matched but who is this Alex Taylor. He looked really good. He is long and has quick feet and his hands are excellent. He looked better than a lot of OT I watched. I need to see him Saturday.    Others that looked great are Logan Stenberg who for me was the best guard on the field. Damien Lewis of LSU is a pile driver also as a guard. He bends so low and just drives. And another guard I put check marks is John Simpson of Clemson. Again he is another that drives the DT back but he blocks way higher than Lewis.  And my 4th best lineman I watched was the center from San Diego St ...............Keith Ismael.  He for me was the best center I watched so far here at the Senior Bowl.  He just beats out Cushenberry of LSU who also looked real good with his feet and power. 

Now to the receivers.  Collin Johnson looks the part and is the part as a long receiver.  He came back for his senior year and didn't have the year he wanted. His teammate did Devin Duvernay who is a speedy receiver but also built strong. These two will move up the draft board. The other receiver who really impressed me is Van Jefferson who runs nice routes and like his father Roy Jefferson has excellent hands.   You really don't have enough time to evaluate all these players since it is just an hour and half.  

My defensive guys beside Kinlaw was Dane Jackson at Cornerback and A.J. Green at the same position. Again they impressed just like they impressed me during the college year. Just have to include one Alabama player who on the last play of practice Terrel Lewis made a great play to cause a fumble by the QB.  

At QB all three QBS did a good job. Montez probably was the third best and Jalen Hurts was a little more impressive than Herbert. After that Oklahoma game against LSU he needed it more. 

Funny moment I have to share with you.  The Defensive coach for the Bengals who looks like an old DT himself was explaining the drills to these Defensive players and he told them to do the steps and than push him back, and the last thing was to go through a dummy bag. But not to tackle the bag but to drive the bag while lifting the bag up. Well he explained it to Kinlaw who was having a problem understanding and goes through it twice and both times he tackles the dummy bag to the ground.  So this coach gave it to him big time.  So what happens next the next player goes through the drill and tackles the dummy bag too.  Everybody was hysterical and this coaches face toward that player was worth a million dollars.  I wish I could get that link and show you. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Good news for us Jet fans. The offensive line was very impressive in the one on one drills. Only one defensive player held his own and is a player and yes his name is Javon Kinlow. He is a stud. Simple he should go in the top 12.  Now back to the offensive line. Two players here I don't know anything about. The two are the Canadian OT Ben Bartch and the other OT is Alex Taylor of South Carolina St.  Bartch seemed like he was over matched but who is this Alex Taylor. He looked really good. He is long and has quick feet and his hands are excellent. He looked better than a lot of OT I watched. I need to see him Saturday.    Others that looked great are Logan Stenberg who for me was the best guard on the field. Damien Lewis of LSU is a pile driver also as a guard. He bends so low and just drives. And another guard I put check marks is John Simpson of Clemson. Again he is another that drives the DT back but he blocks way higher than Lewis.  And my 4th best lineman I watched was the center from San Diego St ...............Keith Ismael.  He for me was the best center I watched so far here at the Senior Bowl.  He just beats out Cushenberry of LSU who also looked real good with his feet and power. 

Now to the receivers.  Collin Johnson looks the part and is the part as a long receiver.  He came back for his senior year and didn't have the year he wanted. His teammate did Devin Duvernay who is a speedy receiver but also built strong. These two will move up the draft board. The other receiver who really impressed me is Van Jefferson who runs nice routes and like his father Roy Jefferson has excellent hands.   You really don't have enough time to evaluate all these players since it is just an hour and half.  

My defensive guys beside Kinlaw was Dane Jackson at Cornerback and A.J. Green at the same position. Again they impressed just like they impressed me during the college year. Just have to include one Alabama player who on the last play of practice Terrel Lewis made a great play to cause a fumble by the QB.  

At QB all three QBS did a good job. Montez probably was the third best and Jalen Hurts was a little more impressive than Herbert. After that Oklahoma game against LSU he needed it more. 

Funny moment I have to share with you.  The Defensive coach for the Bengals who looks like an old DT himself was explaining the drills to these Defensive players and he told them to do the steps and than push him back, and the last thing was to go through a dummy bag. But not to tackle the bag but to drive the bag while lifting the bag up. Well he explained it to Kinlaw who was having a problem understanding and goes through it twice and both times he tackles the dummy bag to the ground.  So this coach gave it to him big time.  So what happens next the next player goes through the drill and tackles the dummy bag too.  Everybody was hysterical and this coaches face toward that player was worth a million dollars.  I wish I could get that link and show you. 

appreciate the time and effort.

also, the last part only reinforces what i have always believed you cant blame coaches for player brain farts.

ya think ANY QB coach says...hold onto the ball until they sack you, just hold onto it...

1 hour ago, Tony The Wiz said:

the other OT is Alex Taylor of South Carolina St.  Bartch seemed like he was over matched but who is this Alex Taylor. He looked really good. He is long and has quick feet and his hands are excellent. He looked better than a lot of OT I watched. I need to see him Saturday. 

I've been watching some tape of Taylor and haven't been overly impressed. What he does have going for him is size and length which is incredible in that regard but he still weighed in on the light side. Purely a developmental player I could see going in the 4-6 round range.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, RobR said:

I've been watching some tape of Taylor and haven't been overly impressed. What he does have going for him is size and length which is incredible in that regard but he still weighed in on the light side. Purely a developmental player I could see going in the 4-6 round range.

I think a lot of this "had a good practice" gets overhyped.  In addition to Taylor and Bartch, I also saw the OT from UCONN Matt Peart mentioned as a "riser" but he seems like more of a legit possible day 2 guy.  

As for the interior OL, Bredenson, Cushenberry and Nick Harris are the guys who could also really make an impact as pros.  Harris has to get stronger and heavier, but he is very talented.  We should be able to easily come away with 2 OL and a WR with the first 4 picks, all of whom are good values.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I think a lot of this "had a good practice" gets overhyped.  In addition to Taylor and Bartch, I also saw the OT from UCONN Matt Peart mentioned as a "riser" but he seems like more of a legit possible day 2 guy.  

As for the interior OL, Bredenson, Cushenberry and Nick Harris are the guys who could also really make an impact as pros.  Harris has to get stronger and heavier, but he is very talented.  We should be able to easily come away with 2 OL and a WR with the first 4 picks, all of whom are good values.

I haven't delved much into the interior guys and have zero clue when it comes to Bredenson. When I did watch Cushenberry during games I wasn't overly impressed but I have yet to watch any true game film. Harris is going to get destroyed at the next level.....he's just too small and doesn't have the frame to add more. He looks like a great college player whose game doesn't translate to the next level.....you can't fix 6'1". 

1 hour ago, RobR said:

I don't no what tape you have been watching but what I seen on ESPN 3 today impressed me a lot. I have never called him a first round prospect but I did read an article now about how he could be the sleeper offense lineman of this draft.  For me I don't see too many OT going in the first round. In fact I only have Wirfs and Thomas that should be drafted in the first round.

7 minutes ago, RobR said:

I haven't delved much into the interior guys and have zero clue when it comes to Bredenson. When I did watch Cushenberry during games I wasn't overly impressed but I have yet to watch any true game film. Harris is going to get destroyed at the next level.....he's just too small and doesn't have the frame to add more. He looks like a great college player whose game doesn't translate to the next level.....you can't fix 6'1". 

Im not and OL expert, but Harris at 6'1 295 is small, but he has long arms (32 3/8), and how many teams are putting a Vince Wolfork over the center in 2020?  For comparison, Garrett Bradbury was 6'3 305 at the combine with 31 3/4 arms and he went in the first round. 

3 minutes ago, Tony The Wiz said:

I don't no what tape you have been watching but what I seen on ESPN 3 today impressed me a lot. I have never called him a first round prospect but I did read an article now about how he could be the sleeper offense lineman of this draft.  For me I don't see too many OT going in the first round. In fact I only have Wirfs and Thomas that should be drafted in the first round.

Here's one and there is some more out there. He's not a sleeper, he's a really long guy that played crappy competition and is a work in progress. Will he ever get there....I don't know but he should be drafted in the later rounds.  

We definitely don't see eye to eye if you are only grading Wirfs and Thomas as first rounders. This will be a historic OT draft.

10 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Im not and OL expert, but Harris at 6'1 295 is small, but he has long arms (32 3/8), and how many teams are putting a Vince Wolfork over the center in 2020?  For comparison, Garrett Bradbury was 6'3 305 at the combine with 31 3/4 arms and he went in the first round. 

I don't place much stock in arm length for a center so that is a moot point for me. Being 6'1"(lets wait for the combine measurement because they are always different) and under 300lbs. would probably make him the lightest and shortest OLineman in the league....I'm guessing. 

I've watched some of his tape and he moves incredibly well but I don't see the upside to his game because he is going to get abused at the POA and I don't care what blocking scheme you use. 

3 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I hate when they call a young man who at most is 22 years old and 295 pounds small.  Obviously he will get bigger and stronger. At center it is his toughness and technique to play this position.  I watched him many times and he is one of the top 4 to 5 centers in this draft.  You got him, Biadasz, Cushenberry, Shackelford, and Hanson were the five that most people talked about. Now after this week with the East West Shrine game I have to boost Daryl Williams all the way up there. And after today I see potential in this kid from San Diego St.  And lets not forget Ruiz from Michigan who declared for the draft. Now we have to be real.  All  of these centers prospects are not Nick Mangold or Maurice Pouncey.  Those guys were top 10 talent.        

16 minutes ago, RobR said:

Here's one and there is some more out there. He's not a sleeper, he's a really long guy that played crappy competition and is a work in progress. Will he ever get there....I don't know but he should be drafted in the later rounds.  

We definitely don't see eye to eye if you are only grading Wirfs and Thomas as first rounders. This will be a historic OT draft.

Yeah we don't see Eye to Eye when you say Historic OT draft. I don't see anyone but those two right now. I see OT who should be Guards who are slow in reaction time in pass blocking. I watched bad tape on Jedrick Willis and Isaiah Wilson just like you looking at bad tape on this player. But those guys are supposed to go in the first two rounds. What I need to see is at the combine and these all star games if they can prove themselves.   And for this player I just seen a different player at the practice than this play playing the third game last season.