The actual use-case of the NFL Salary Cap.

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Ah, the "we can't win it all with Jamal Adams and 52 scrubs" argument.  

Khalil Mack wasn't on a winning team this year.  Neither was Von Miller.  Or TJ Watt.  You could swap Adams for any one of those guys and we aren't a playoff team.  But you need a certain amount of those type of guys or you never will be.  Accumulate great players until you can't afford them all and then worry about who to let leave.  Right now we can afford all one of the great players we have on this team.  Or we can trade him for the unknown of a mid-1st round pick that could easily turn out to be....say a Garrett Bradbury, who is a very average-looking Center taken with the 20th pick last year.  If you could easily turn Jamal Adams into Jonah Williams, than I'm all for it.  But there's a lot of ways that can just make the team substantially worse, and draft history (especially ours) says you can't ignore that possibility.

I don't expect Jamal Adams to single-handedly win games, but he also doesn't do the things that contribute to wins, outside of, incidentally, generating sacks, which, isn't really what you want him out there doing, because when he doesn't get home, like we saw in @Patriot Killa's thread, he leaves the whole defense vulnerable.

I'll take my chances with Mack, Miller, or Watt over Adams in a heartbeat, and the thing is, so would you.

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

The 49ers pay their SS 6.5M per

The Packers pay their SS 9M per

The Titans pay their SS 6M per

The Chiefs pay their SS 4M per

The most expensive SS in the league is employed by the team picking 2nd overall, at 14M per.

7 of the top 10 paid safeties in the league, made the playoffs.  The idea you dont pay safeties is a complete and total fallacy.  The best teams in the NFL pay for safeties.   The 7 teams below who made the playoffs, make it just about every single year. 

NFL's highest paid safeties (average salary per year):

• 1. Titans safety Kevin Byard: $14.1 million
  • 2. Chiefs safety Tyrann Mathieu: $14 million
  • 3. Redskins safety Landon Collins: $14 million
  • 4. Ravens safety Earl Thomas: $13.75 million
  • 5. Dolphins safety Reshad Jones: $12 million
  • 6. Raiders safety Lamarcus Joyner: $10.5 million
  • 7. Vikings safety Harrison Smith: $10.25 million 
  • 8. Patriots safety Devin McCourty: $9.5 million
  • 9. Packers safety Adrian Amos: $9 million
  • 10. Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins: $8.75 million
  • Upvote 2

Just now, JiF said:

7 of the top 10 paid safeties in the league, made the playoffs.  The idea you dont pay safeties is a complete and total fallacy.  The best teams in the NFL pay for safeties.   The 7 teams below who made the playoffs, make it just about every single year. 

•  10. Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins: $8.75 million

Strong Safety and Free Safety are not the same thing.

• Sympathy 1

I think the argument from most Jet fans who want to trade Jamal is that they would rather use those funds available to pay his salary on a 'premium' position acquired through FA or in the draft. The other argument is that the Jets would get compensation to the tune of a 1st round pick if they were to trade him- with which they could draft a much needed WR or OT. It's as simple as that. I don't nec. think its a concern with an inability to pay him, its HOW the money could otherwise be used. 

Jamal is not a FA but if he was, do you re-sign him for 15mil a year or do you sign a guy like Conklin or Scherff (also both costing around 15mil) to protect Darnold and shore up the devastated O-line. I think its a fair question. Do you trade Jamal, netting a first round pick so you can target O-line or WR, knowing full well you won't re-sign him next year anyway, then use the money you would have used on him to go after a shut down CB or top Edge rusher in FA next yer? Again, a fair question.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JiF said:

• 10. Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins: $8.75 million

Image result for stop making sense

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

But, what if  I can make the payments.  But, once I've done that, I can't say, get another quality car that has room for my children.  Upgrade my apartment.  Go on the vacations I want to go on.  It's a percentage of resources.  Jamal Adams' contribution to the Jets winning isn't worth the percentage of resources he will cost long term.  We have actually seen that 1st hand, as three years of Jamal Adams hasn't produced a winning season.  And, just because, today, we can technically afford to make a poor allocation of resources, doesn't mean we should.

Then you didnt properly assess. Your changing the Jets situation. This isnt a team that has "juuuuust enough money" to where signing Adams would be a luxury and at the expense of not having enough to deal with more practical/foundational signings. 

The Jets have 65 million dollars in salary cap space, when the league average is 44 million. The highest safety contract in the league is the newly signed Eddie Jackson at 14.6M. 500k more than the previous high in Kevin Byard. Say if the Jets decided to make Adams the Highest paid safety in the league at an even 15M per season, the Jets would STILL be 6 million over the league average with 50M left to spend. 

This isnt about a poor allocation of resources, this is about correcting your incorrect scenario. To prove my point...
Here's a list of the top 100 Free Agents in 2020. The jets can make the Jamal Adams the highest paid S in the game, and still have enough cap to go after anyone on this list...or just relax and get another quality car with enough room for the kids, upgrade the apartment...etc.

The Jets have more than enough cap. 

https://nfltraderumors.co/top-25-2020-nfl-free-agents-list/

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

By this logic we shouldn't pay a single player on the roster. 

Adams can get paid and we can still improve the o-line, skill positions, coaching staff, etc and become a good team. Paying Adams doesn't prevent us from drafting o-line. It doesn't prevent us from paying Darnold in the future if he is worth it. It doesn't prevent us from doing pretty much anything we need to do to improve the team.

Because we suck isn't a strong argument for making fundamentally bad decisions.

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Ah, the "we can't win it all with Jamal Adams and 52 scrubs" argument.  

Khalil Mack wasn't on a winning team this year.  Neither was Von Miller.  Or TJ Watt.  You could swap Adams for any one of those guys and we aren't a playoff team.  But you need a certain amount of those type of guys or you never will be.  Accumulate great players until you can't afford them all and then worry about who to let leave.  Right now we can afford all one of the great players we have on this team.  Or we can trade him for the unknown of a mid-1st round pick that could easily turn out to be....say a Garrett Bradbury, who is a very average-looking Center taken with the 20th pick last year.  If you could easily turn Jamal Adams into Quenton Nelson, than I'm all for it.  But there's a lot of ways that can just make the team substantially worse, and draft history (especially ours) says you can't ignore that possibility.

But if you had one of those guys(An Edge, a serious LT, a serious WR), and Eric Weddle or Honey Badger(does he really make $14 million?)  or that kind of safety who comes on the FA market every year for a fraction of what Adams is looking for, you have a better team. Not knocking Adams, simply no matter how good an SS he is, doesn't contribute as much as premium slots do. 

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

The 49ers pay their SS 6.5M per

The Packers pay their SS 9M per

The Titans pay their SS 6M per

The Chiefs pay their SS 4M per

The most expensive SS in the league is employed by the team picking 2nd overall, at 14M per.

The Redskins had over $20 million in cap space left over in 2019. The money they spent on SS didn't prevent them from spending elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The 49ers pay their top-3 WRs an average of about $3MM/year.  The highest paid WR in the league is on CLE.

KC pays their top-3 CBs and average of about $600k/year.  The highest paid CB in the league is on CHI.

Clearly we're onto a winning formula.  Or maybe not.

Cool.  They all have different formulas to win, one thing they have in common is they all didn't break the bank for a SS.

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I don't expect Jamal Adams to single-handedly win games, but he also doesn't do the things that contribute to wins, outside of, incidentally, generating sacks, which, isn't really what you want him out there doing, because when he doesn't get home, like we saw in @Patriot Killa's thread, he leaves the whole defense vulnerable.

I'll take my chances with Mack, Miller, or Watt over Adams in a heartbeat, and the thing is, so would you.

The fact that he blitzed so much had less to do with him as much as it had to do with failing to generate a rush with anyone on your front 7. 

• Sympathy 2

I'm still not sure why, with our new GM, we can't find a way to fix what's broken AND keep our best players.  Remember, Jamal is under contract for next year at low cost.  He will be under contract for 2021 at market rate under his 5th year option (somewhere around $13-14M is my guess) but with no longterm security.  He could also potentially have the Franchise Tag held over his head for 2022 where he'd be paid the average of the Top 5 Safeties....which would still be the right market rate for him yet still give him no longterm security.  That's 3 more years of control over Jamal where he'll feel like he's getting strung along year to year.  The Jets could use that leverage, find a way to sign him longterm and up his compensation next year, taking a bigger $$ hit earlier rather than later and get him cheaper over something like a 5-year deal.  By 2021 or 2022 we could have him under contract with Cap hits that are lower than the $15M many people here think he'll want (in cash and on average per year, NOT in Cap $$$).

Listen, if Joe D gets good value I have no problem trading him.  People seem to want to free up money so that the Jets can go get their next Le'Veon Bell, Kelechi Osemele or Trumaine Johnson.  This is the "grass is always greener on the other side" mentality and people wanting what's behind Door #3 (a Draft pick that becomes some currently unknown player) instead of keep the good thing we have.  If Joe can get a package that including an above average staring OLineman and a high Draft pick then maybe that's the right move.  The thing I'd hate to see happen though is the Jets move Jamal for picks this year, repair the offense, finally start putting themselves in a position to compete and then realize they're missing that presence in the Secondary that would make the difference in a playoff push, the way a Tyrann Mathieu is making this year in getting the Chiefs to the Super Bowl.

In fact, look at the AFC Championship Game and tell me those teams went cheap at Safety.  I thought paying a non-premium position keeps you from competing?

Chiefs - Tyrann Mathieu - 3 yrs, $42M

Titans - Kevin Byard - 5 yrs, $71M

Those are not budget Safeties.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Then you didnt properly assess. Your changing the Jets situation. This isnt a team that has "juuuuust enough money" to where signing Adams would be a luxury and at the expense of not having enough to deal with more practical/foundational signings. 

The Jets have 65 million dollars in salary cap space, when the league average is 44 million. The highest safety contract in the league is the newly signed Eddie Jackson at 14.6M. 500k more than the previous high in Kevin Byard. Say if the Jets decided to make Adams the Highest paid safety in the league at an even 15M per season, the Jets would STILL be 6 million over the league average with 50M left to spend. 

This isnt about a poor allocation of resources, this is about correcting your incorrect scenario. To prove my point...
Here's a list of the top 100 Free Agents in 2020. The jets can make the Jamal Adams the highest paid S in the game, and still have enough cap to go after anyone on this list. 

https://nfltraderumors.co/top-25-2020-nfl-free-agents-list/

25% of the cap isn't what you think it is when consider Robby Anderson, Brian Poole, Jordan Jenkins, and Beachum, which still doesnt' fix the OLine.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Bugg said:

But if you had one of those guys(An Edge, a serious LT, a serious WR), and Eric Weddle or Honey Badger(does he really make $14 million?)  or that kind of safety who comes on the FA market every year for a fraction of what Adams is looking for, you have a better team. Not knocking Adams, simply no matter how good an SS he is, doesn't contribute as much as premium slots do. 

Yes.  I agree.  If I could trade Adams straight up for TJ Watt or Khalil Mack, I do it without blinking.  But trading him for a draft pick is not the same thing.

Having a versatile safety is incredibly valuable for NFL defensive schemes and game planning. A blitzing safety with no coverage skills could only be used in and around the line of scrimmage, and his presence there would immediately tip-off the opponent that a blitz, not coverage, is the safety's only option. As a do-it-all safety in the Jets' defense, Jamal Adams has proven to be an asset, and he's no liability when matched up in pass coverage, either. This season, he's allowed a passer rating of just 80.7 on throws into his primary coverage, which is way below the league-wide average for safeties (93.6). Adams’ pass coverage skills make him a complete, every-down safety in a league where teams will be using three such players more often than not.

His knack for pass-rushing combined with his talent to defend both the run andthe pass has made him the only defensive back in the NFL who has played at least 200 snaps yet earned a top-10 PFF grade in coverage (86.1, seventh among safeties), against the run (81.6, seventh), as a tackler (89.7, second) and as a pass-rusher (90.4, tied for first).

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-examining-the-nfls-best-safeties

1952604142_ScreenShot2020-01-23at11_44_30AM.png.2f26815963a26611d2a0e856f62d18d4.png

Whether someone plays Right Guard or Left Guard, whether a Cornerback like Sherman only works one side of the field or a guy like Revis follows WR1s everywhere, whether a guy plays FS or SS......I think what matters most is production and impact on the game.  Jamal Adams produces and impacts football games.  He's great against the run and great against the pass.  The people who seem to send him to Hawaii every year see that even if some Jets fans don't.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You haven't made the case that it is a fundamentally bad decision. You miss the point of the thread.

Have you made the case that a guy with 2 picks in 3 years at a position that's one of the lowest paid in the league is worth 15M per year?

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Strong Safety and Free Safety are not the same thing.

LOL I agree with your point but in this particular case, with Jamal, it doesn't matter. Let's be honest, he can play FS or SS or LB. He's a special player and more than measures up with all those guys on that list. There will be plenty of teams willing to pay him 14mil once he hits FA and they're not all morons getting duped. So let's not play this game. Jamal is a stud. It's not a mirage. He's one of the best safeties in the league and he's only 24.  

The question is, are the Jets in a position where it makes sense for them to bring him back at that kind of money. I honestly don't know the answer to that. I love him as a player and think they can figure out their finances and win without having to trade him but that depends on how well they draft. They have to start hitting on their draft picks and find value in FA.    

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Fun fact; of that list I shared, only 2 actually play FS .  None of them play it exclusively.   The rest are strong safeties or hybrids like Jamal. 

Plenty of "hybrids" fine.  But, then perhaps we can look at this from the INT angle, if we want to see who's making a difference as a pass defender?

• Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm still not sure why, with our new GM, we can't find a way to fix what's broken AND keep our best players.  Remember, Jamal is under contract for next year at low cost.  He will be under contract for 2021 at market rate under his 5th year option (somewhere around $13-14M is my guess) but with no longterm security.  He could also potentially have the Franchise Tag held over his head for 2022 where he'd be paid the average of the Top 5 Safeties....which would still be the right market rate for him yet still give him no longterm security.  That's 3 more years of control over Jamal where he'll feel like he's getting strung along year to year.  The Jets could use that leverage, find a way to sign him longterm and up his compensation next year, taking a bigger $$ hit earlier rather than later and get him cheaper over something like a 5-year deal.  By 2021 or 2022 we could have him under contract with Cap hits that are lower than the $15M many people here think he'll want (in cash and on average per year, NOT in Cap $$$).

Listen, if Joe D gets good value I have no problem trading him.  People seem to want to free up money so that the Jets can go get their next Le'Veon Bell, Kelechi Osemele or Trumaine Johnson.  This is the "grass is always greener on the other side" mentality and people wanting what's behind Door #3 (a Draft pick that becomes some currently unknown player) instead of keep the good thing we have.  If Joe can get a package that including an above average staring OLineman and a high Draft pick then maybe that's the right move.  The thing I'd hate to see happen though is the Jets move Jamal for picks this year, repair the offense, finally start putting themselves in a position to compete and then realize they're missing that presence in the Secondary that would make the difference in a playoff push, the way a Tyrann Mathieu is making this year in getting the Chiefs to the Super Bowl.

In fact, look at the AFC Championship Game and tell me those teams went cheap at Safety.  I thought paying a non-premium position keeps you from competing?

Chiefs - Tyrann Mathieu - 3 yrs, $42M

Titans - Kevin Byard - 5 yrs, $71M

Those are not budget Safeties.

Once the Chiefs reupp Mahomes, Honey Badger will be cut. 

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

Have you made the case that a guy with 2 picks in 3 years at a position that's one of the lowest paid in the league is worth 15M per year?

Paying the all-pro player we drafted to keep during his prime years does not and will not prevent the team from being built into a winning program. It won't prevent us from paying our QB if he becomes worth it. It won't prevent us from drafting offensive linemen or signing free agents. Essentially, there's nothing signing Adams long term prevents the team from doing. The cap goes up every year and the only major potential upcoming contract we need to worry about is Darnold.

Stop being scared of some salary cap boogie man that's going to bite us if we sign Adams long term.

If we get to a point where we have too many good players where it looks like they won't all fit under the cap, then we'd have to start to worry about things like this. But then - that would be a great problem to have.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Yes.  I agree.  If I could trade Adams straight up for TJ Watt or Khalil Mack, I do it without blinking.  But trading him for a draft pick is not the same thing.

Would note they could have drafted TJ Watt instead of him. 

So here's a fun factoid to add to this debate.  It's merely anecdotal but if you, like me, remember years of watching TEs absolutely shred our defense as if they were stealth fighters, here you go.

5 years ago (2014) TEs racked up 810 yards and 14 TDs against our defense.  Those 14 TDs were the worst in the league and the yards were 15th.

This season (2019) those numbers were 702 yards and 3 TDs.  The yards were 25th in the league and TDs were tied for 2nd best.

That's what good Safeties do for you.  I'd like to NOT go back to watching TEs convert on 3rd down every single series., 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, jmat321 said:

The next CBA - they should really push to make players a franchise drafts exempt from the salary cap AFTER their rookie deal expires.  The purpose of the salary cap should be to prevent teams from buying championships.  You shouldn't be punished for drafting well.  

Interesting. This will definitely make free agency more obsolete then it already is since the drafting team could pay more. But, I agree, a team like the Cowboys is struggling to stay under the cap because they have to pay players they drafted. 

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

So here's a fun factoid to add to this debate.  It's merely anecdotal but if you, like me, remember years of watching TEs absolutely shred our defense as if they were stealth fighters, here you go.

5 years ago (2014) TEs racked up 810 yards and 14 TDs against our defense.  Those 14 TDs were the worst in the league and the yards were 15th.

This season (2019) those numbers were 702 yards and 3 TDs.  The yards were 25th in the league and TDs were tied for 2nd best.

That's what good Safeties do for you.  I'd like to NOT go back to watching TEs convert on 3rd down every single series., 

well part of this is not playing gronk 2x.  and it's not all jamal defending TEs if he's blitzing a lot.

16 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

25% of the cap isn't what you think it is when consider Robby Anderson, Brian Poole, Jordan Jenkins, and Beachum, which still doesnt' fix the OLine.

And this cap isnt what you think when considering that we can cut certain players and bring in cap savings and push off some of that dead money until next season. 

There's always ways around this. A guy like Avery Williams can be traded or cut, save 6.5M this year, pay 2M in dead money next year, and then use that 6.5M as a way to pay Robby his 11-12M. 

After all, there's no reason to pay Avery Williams 8.5M when C.J. Mosley is getting paid 17.5M and Neville Hewitt had a really good season along with James Burgess.

There's always a way EY. 

2 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Interesting. This will definitely make free agency more obsolete then it already is since the drafting team could pay more. But, I agree, a team like the Cowboys is struggling to stay under the cap because they have to pay players they drafted. 

but then the draft becomes even more important if you can sign your own players for less.