Today's North Practice Recap

33 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I am just praying that a few things fall into place for the Jets for this draft.  We have the potential to go a LONG ways to rebuild a couple positions in one draft if things fall into place.

Meh...we will have a "top" defensive player (DL) fall to us in round 1 and 2 (safety( and then in the 3rd after all the OL and WR are gone in a big run we will take BPA at ILB and then "shore up safety again for good measure. We will then take UDFA graded OL and WR from small schools in the later rounds...

9 minutes ago, section314 said:

Agreed. Hockey question. You believe in the AVS? Starting to hear bits on NYC radio from the hockey fan hosts that Lundqvist would fit perfectly for them.

I wouldn't do it if I was the Avs' unless he came dirt cheap.  He is ready to fall off and his save % is no better if not worse with who the Avs already have.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Meh...we will have a "top" defensive player (DL) fall to us in round 1 and 2 (safety( and then in the 3rd after all the OL and WR are gone in a big run we will take BPA at ILB and then "shore up safety again for good measure. We will then take UDFA graded OL and WR from small schools in the later rounds...

I am actually doing my end of season Mock draft tonight.  It is so interesting to see the actual needs these teams have. And not 1 team has a first need Running back and there are 3 first round talents in this draft.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I am just praying that a few things fall into place for the Jets for this draft.  We have the potential to go a LONG ways to rebuild a couple positions in one draft if things fall into place.

This is the most down to earth comment about the draft - but it also happens to be where Mac was so terrible.

IMO, the GM's job is not player evaluation, its asset management.  After the first 2 rounds, the GM isnt an expert on every player, he has to rely on the scouting department.  What he needs to do is judge the board, surmise/guess who will be there and then more up or down accordingly.  Mac had NO CLUE how to do that (look at his idiotic mid round trades). 

There is no doubt that there will be receivers available in the 2nd and 3rd round, there are simply too many.  There "should" be IOL and OT's available on the 2nd day too, BUT the entire league has been hurting for OL for the past couple drafts so who knows.  I personally think IOL get undervalued, not because of their ability, but because teams take shots on skill position players, which is why guys like Elton Jenkins and Eric McCoy are mid second rounders who come in and contribute right away.

Lets hope JD learned from Ozzie and Roseman how to manage the draft as its happening and he can wind up with a Ben Brendenson if he happens to fall to the early 3rd.  Thats how you crush a draft.

• Upvote 1