CeeDee Lamb vs Jerry Jeudy Who should the Jets take in 2020 NFL Draft?

CeeDee Lamb vs. Jerry Jeudy: Who should the Jets take in 2020 NFL Draft?

If Joe Douglas wishes to go WR, these are the top two choices

By Scott Thompson | 2:44PM
  • Share:
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
CeeDee Lamb/Jerry Jeudy CeeDee Lamb/Jerry Jeudy 

Among draft experts, there is a great debate bout which wide receiver is the best in this year's NFL Draft. And that debate revolves around Alabama's Jerry Jeudy and Oklahoma's CeeDee Lamb.

Both receivers check off all the boxes play evaluators and coaches alike look for. Whether its top-notch speed, route-running, ball-tracking, and sturdy hands, Jeudy and Lamb possesses the attributes necessary to translate their stellar college careers into an NFL career as a No. 1 receiver. 

And the Jets could definitely use one of those for Sam Darnold

The Jets current depth chart has Jamison Crowder as the team's No. 1 receiver. He was a solid free-agent pickup, but that obviously won't fly. The big question is whether or not Robby Anderson returns in free agency this offseason, as a strong second half would suggest the Jets would want to bring him back -- only at the right price. There's also Quincy Enunwa to worry about, but he can't be banked on with another season-ending neck injury last season. 

Joe Douglas will be conducting his first Draft as the Jets' GM, and with his No. 11 overall pick, he could be filling that receiver void on his roster. Of course, there are others to address like offensive line and edge rusher. But setting up Darnold with his go-to target for years to come could be at the top of the priority list. 

Mock drafts have had both Jeudy and Lamb available for the Jets at No. 11, so the question becomes who would the Jets write down on their draft card if they had to choose? Here are the pros and cons to each top receiver, and ultimately which route the Jets should take...

Jerry Jeudy

Height: 6-foot-1
Weight: 192 pounds
2019 Stats: 77 receptions, 1,163 yards, 10 touchdowns
Career Stats: 159 receptions, 2,742 yards, 26 touchdowns

Accolades: 2018 Consensus All-American, 2018 Fred Biletnikoff Award, 2018 SEC touchdown leader (14), Two-Time All-SEC First-Team

Jeudy came out of high school as a five-star recruit, and Alabama coaches believed that he could be the next Julio Jones in their program. Yeah, that's a pretty bold statement, especially after posting 14 receptions for 264 yards and two touchdowns in his freshman season. 

But Jeudy most certainly lived up to the hype in 2018, becoming the NCAA's best wide receiver in the country with the Biletnikoff Award given to him after his best season. Tua Tagovailoa loved throwing the ball his way, and as The Draft Network writes about Jeudy, his tremendous ability to run routes always had him open. 

"He's phenomenal in short spaces against press coverage and against off [coverage] he'll produce false steps like clockwork," a Draft Network analyst wrote.

Walter Football also loves his technical abilities with footwork and route-running, but admits that his hands are "average." There have been stints of drops, but not too worrisome. Overall, that's the only thing to be picky about if you really tried to find a weakness in Jeudy. 

His speed is well above average -- he should be somewhere in the low-to-mid 4.4s -- and that to go along with his route-running is a cornerback's nightmare. Also, watching Jeudy make defenders miss in the open field is actually comedy. He can stop on a dime and cut at a whim, which is devastating with his speed. 

And even his blocking -- the skill many overlook when talking about a receiver -- is solid due to his length and ability to be a pest to corners. 

His NFL comparison? Walter Football said Odell Beckham Jr. It's not Jones, but Jeudy will definitely like being compared to one of the best in the game now. 

CeeDee Lamb

Height: 6-foot-2
Weight: 189 pounds
2019 Stats: 62 receptions, 1,327 yards, 14 touchdowns
Career Stats: 173 receptions, 3,292 yards, 32 touchdowns

Accolades: 2019 Consensus All-American, 2019 First-team All-Big 12, 2017 ESPN Freshman All-American

When you have quarterbacks like Kyler Murray and Jalen Hurts to work with the past two seasons, life as a Sooner receiver is fun. And Lamb definitely took full advantage of that. 

The Draft Network immediately points out Lamb's ability to track down the deep ball and make the big plays -- something that was especially evident in the 2018 season with Murray launching the ball to him and Marquise "Hollywood" Brown. 

"Elite ability to track the football in the air and adjust. Does a wonderful job of positioning his frame at the catch point to win with consistency," the publication wrote. 

Anderson has been the Jets' deep ball threat for the past couple seasons, but Lamb could easily take his place there. Heading into this season, which became his best in college, Walter Football was amazed by his ability to make just ridiculous grabs that were reminiscent of Beckham and DeAndre Hopkins

His route-running is extremely solid, but there is room for improvement there. Also, his speed shouldn't be categorized as elite, with experts believing his 40-yard dash time would be coming in the 4.55 range. 

But even though he might not blow past his defender, Lamb has that knack to go up and get a ball with confidence and grace all in one. In the open field, he'll make you miss, but defenders could be surprised when he lowers his head and runs through you. That physicality is also seen in the blocking game. 

A very dependable receiver and one that simply knows how to get open and help make his quarterback's job easy, The Draft Network compared him to Hopkins. CBS Sports' Chris Trapassosaid Allen Robinson, while adding this: "he's probably the most ready -- right now -- to step into an NFL offense and be a No. 1 receiver on the outside. I'm serious."

Who Should The Jets Take? 

Kinda tough to make this call, right? Each receiver excels in many areas of the game with little to no weaknesses to account for. But if I had to follow my gut, I think Jeudy would be the best option here. 

Lamb might be the most NFL-ready receiver, but Jeudy's ceiling as a perennial Pro Bowler and a player that can wreak defenses with speed and technicality combined is too intriguing to pass up. 

Jeudy's physical traits outshine Lamb just a tad, in particular speed. Lamb's hands and body control is better, but Jeudy can work on those things once on the Jets. 

Darnold needs someone that is going to consistently get open, and if the Jets are down, a player that he can take a shot with downfield. Both players fit that bill, but I'd rather have Jeudy's breakaway speed that can torch corners and safeties rather than Lamb going up to make a contested grab. 

Of course, having Jeudy fall to No. 11 out of the Top 10 is a gamble. Both receivers may not make it to the Jets. If they do, though, I'd expect Douglas to give the Crimson Tide product a new Jets hat on that stage in Las Vegas. 

• Upvote 3

Neither of these guys to me are worthy of top 15 picks. They don’t fit the prototype. A top 10 receiver needs to be 6”3+ and posses that rare combination of physicality and speed. Moss, Johnson, Edwards, Green, Fitz, Jones etc. This needs to be your safety blanket not just a dangerous weapon. 

• Thumb Down 2

Free Agent signings will go a long way to determining the flexibility the Jets have at 11.  If they can sign an above average OT and an upgraded OG as well as bring back some guys like Beachum and Lewis, then I'm much more comfortable going with a WR at #11 and taking OLinemen in the 2nd and/or 3rd.

• Upvote 4

I heard CeeDee Lamb is a great person, great to talk to, very smart but is a big time partier. It was 1 of those 2 that has some partying issues and I think it was Lamb. Anyway I will take Jeudy. We don't need another Josh Gordon on our hands. Do your homework Big Joe. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, section314 said:

If we bring Robby back, and these two guys are there, would that change anything on who the choice would be?

imo it would be interesting to see either of these guys paired with robbie.  they'd push each other to get better and they'd certainly compliment each other in the offense.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I would hope the Jets draft Oline in the 1st. There will be plenty of talented WR's in the 2nd-5th round, there wont be many talented OT's past the 2nd round.

I like both Jeudy and Lamb as prospects, kinda leaning towards Lamb tho...especially if the Jets resign Anderson. Lamb would compliment Anderson and Crowder better than Jeudy would.

This WR class is so loaded im not so sure that either Lamb or Jeudy will be the best from this draft, when it's all said and done. Gimme Thomas/Wirfs/Becton, or Willis in the 1st and Colin Johnson, Jefferson, Shenault, Gandy-Golden, Claypool, Pittman or Reagor in the 2nd or later.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

Neither of these guys to me are worthy of top 15 picks. They don’t fit the prototype. A top 10 receiver needs to be 6”3+ and posses that rare combination of physicality and speed. Moss, Johnson, Edwards, Green, Fitz, Jones etc. This needs to be your safety blanket not just a dangerous weapon. 

Do you actually watch football?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

Where did you get this from? 

FYI, Belichick is on record as saying that he thinks that shorter WRs have a key advantage over taller guys: They tend to be much better at maintaining their balance when getting jammed at the line. 

1 hour ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Only if top OTs Thomas, Wirfs, and Wills are off the board should they then look next to these 2 WRs. Long term we have to rebuild this oline and JD likely will take that over the sexy picks of WR, Edge etc. 

In a vacuum, I agree. But in reality, it also depends on what happens in FA and what he thinks of 2nd/3rd round WRs vs. 2nd/3rd round OLs.