Trent Williams Trade Proposal

Rhg1084

2 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

In this article they predict the Jets trade Bell and a 3rd for Trent Williams. Would be that be a good trade for Jets?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2871823-predicting-boldest-roster-moves-for-the-2020-nfl-offseason#slide0

Try

Jets - Williams and 5th

Skins - Bell, 6th, and we eat a large portion of his salary. 

JD ain't giving up any picks in pre draft trade deals unless he gets some in return. Take that to the bank. 

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Teams don't let go of good reliable o-linemen. Enough with the damaged and recycled offensive linemen. No trades, no big money FA o-linemen. Draft the hell out of them for the next 3 years and put some young studs in front of Darnold so we can see if he's the damn truth.

THIS

• Upvote 1

I also would like an online build of 24 year old blue chip studs... that’s not how things work

25-50-% of your online will be transitional/filled with a guy that will be there less than 4 years. 

I’d trade a 4th for this guy, which can become a 3rd if he plays all 16 games and makes the pro bowl.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Teams don't let go of good reliable o-linemen. Enough with the damaged and recycled offensive linemen. No trades, no big money FA o-linemen. Draft the hell out of them for the next 3 years and put some young studs in front of Darnold so we can see if he's the damn truth.

“teams” are not the Redskins.  They are pretty boneheaded 

The Jets have to potentially take a chance on OL to give them the flexibility to draft best available impact player and allow Darnold to sensibly develop.   Paying Beachum 20mm over two years may be a better bet than Williams. 

12 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

In this article they predict the Jets trade Bell and a 3rd for Trent Williams. Would be that be a good trade for Jets?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2871823-predicting-boldest-roster-moves-for-the-2020-nfl-offseason#slide0

Its not the idea of trading Bell.  It the idea of giving up Bell and a third for an older OL who may or may not be what he was in the past?  

Id have to think hard about Bell for Trent straight up, never mind sending a 3 to the Skins

• Upvote 1

I would consider the following trade: Bell (and us picking up some of his $$$)
for Williams and a 4th rounder.  We would be taking on the bigger risk since
Williams has been sick and hasn't played in over a year.  WAS would need
to throw in the #4 to compensate us

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

You've been spoiled from the Mangold- Brick era as it never works that way.

Well, clearly the Mangold-Brick era by itself proves that "never" is the wrong word. Perhaps it usually doesn't work this way, but we ought to strive to make it happen again. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, varjet said:

“teams” are not the Redskins.  They are pretty boneheaded 

The Jets have to potentially take a chance on OL to give them the flexibility to draft best available impact player and allow Darnold to sensibly develop.   Paying Beachum 20mm over two years may be a better bet than Williams. 

This guy hasn't started a full season since 2013 when Sam Darnold was in 10th grade. I'm not trading for a 32 year old guy who hasn't started a full season since 2013 unless the compensation is a bag of gummy dicks.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Wow didn’t know he was that old. And when did he last play?  Hard hard pass. Not worth the risk unless he’s cut by Skins and can be signed for chump change/bonus incentive contract. No need to get desperate here. Our OL is a mess as is and there’s no need to be reaching for another Kahil here. If JD signs this guy and pays out the butt for him and he BOMBS, JD will look like a buffoon. As it was, the Kahil signing was a huge stain on his start as GM. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I'd make this trade

and the reason is because LeVeon Bell probably runs a 5 second 40 at this point 

he's gotta be the slowest starting RB in the league, by far 

it's gotten to the point where his lack of speed holds back the offense. 

and yes I know how bad TW injury history is. Scherff has a similar history people want to sign him too... they both have maybe a couple of years left 

but Bell isn't getting any faster and this solves 2 problems at once 

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, KRL said:

This is the only way taking a chance on Williams being physically sound and having anything left in the tank makes sense.  

2 hours ago, KRL said:

Agreed.  I would even be willing to trade them even up.  But no way I am giving up Bell and a 3 for a 32 year old LT who has missed a season and not played a full 16 games in about 5 years.  I really like the flexiility the two 3s gives us in the draft.  We can fill an extra hole, or if someone at a position of need is dropping, we can package them to move up and get a guy we really like.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

I'd make this trade

and yes I know how bad TW injury history is. Scherff has a similar history people want to sign him too... they both have maybe a couple of years left 

If you want to trade them straight up that would be fine but I'm not throwing in a 3rd to get this type of deal done. The 3rd round will still be a sweet spot for Oline, WR, or even a RB that can run faster than a 4.9. 

I would note, though, that the 4 games he missed in 2016 was due to suspension not injury. Still missed the games, but one less year of injury concern. I guess.

But this might be better: if they really have interest in Bell, how about we give them a lower pick (swap our 5th for their 7th or something), and they have to take Bell straight up so we can at least get the salary dump. Because I'm not looking to trade a one-more-year cap albatross for a new 2 year cap albatross on a reworked contract for Williams (that could turn into 3 due to injury guarantees kicking in). I'd want to buy something new with Bell's cap space; not something cranky, old, damaged, and no less expensive. Then in this way we're clearing the space towards a known-quantity starter in exchange for giving up a pick statistically most likely to have use on special teams (temporarily at that).

I'd look at it as a package cleansing of Leo + Bell + #158 for #68 + #216 + 7.5MM, and they can keep Williams or sell his contract to someone else. 

Or just suck it up with Bell for one more season, hope he just needed to lose 10-15 lbs or something to return to form, then get out of it a year from now.

I don't see why Washington would want to take on Bell's guaranteed $13.5MM anyway. That's what someone signs on to pay Bell before seeing his 2019 performance, not after. Washington drafted Guice in 2018 and he's healed from his 2018 ACL and 2019 meniscus tears by now. No, he's not reliable by any stretch, but if they want veteran insurance they still have a very cap-friendly $2.5MM team option on Peterson.

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

I'd make this trade

So you timed him when?  And with Pitt, when?  When the holes opened, he hit them for yardage.  Wasn’t there often enough