Bart Scott called out Jordan Jenkins

LIJetsFan

New York Jets: Bart Scott rips Jordan Jenkins, questions his fluff production

by Paul A. Esden Jr.

Former New York Jets linebacker Bart Scott called out Jordan Jenkins and questioned his ‘layup production’. Here are all the details.

On Thursday afternoon former New York Jets linebacker Bart Scott joined ESPN’s Rich Cimini on his Flight Deck podcast.

During their conversation, Scott decided to call out Jets’ outside linebacker Jordan Jenkins and even went as far as to question his production:

“I don’t know about Jordan Jenkins. I appreciate what he’s done but come on man those sacks were atta boy. Those weren’t meaningful sacks, they were coverage sacks. If you rush the passer 500 times a couple of those are going to be layups and he got a couple of those.

I think they definitely have to upgrade that position. The Jets can’t afford to use some of that equity on a player that we already know what his ceiling is.”

Jenkins is a pending free agent this offseason. During his four years with the green and white Jenkins has exponentially increased his sack total each season: 2016 (2.5 sacks), 2017 (3 sacks), 2018 (7 sacks), and 2019 (8 sacks).

Bart Scott intimated that we’ve already seen Jenkins’ ceiling as a player and in addition to that the production he ended up with was simply fluff. Every blind squirrel eventually finds a nut mentality.

Jenkins is expected to receive a contract that pays him in the vicinity of $10 million per season.

The New York Jets have a little over $60 million in available cap space this offseason and could create as much as $30 million more with some roster cuts.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

I like Jenkins.  I think he's a good player and a good leader.  I don't think he's an elite pass rusher, but he's a good "2nd guy" 

Bart Scott needs to chill out.  He's not the gatekeeper for NY Jets Defense.

Agree Bart Scott is an outspoken critic of all and many. 

I like him and his show this is what he does for ratings. 

It's pretty simple. Coverage/"layup" numbers or not, since they all get them, 7 then 8 sacks for a starting OLB will get him over $10MM/year as a UFA. 

• If the Jets extend him, it'll be at $12MM/year, and then his sack production will dip back down to the 3-sack range again
  • If he signs elsewhere it'll be at $11MM/year, and after we're done high-5'ing each other and laughing at it all offseason, his sack numbers will jump to 12 on his new team, making his adjusted $ value in the $15MM+/year range

So which do you choose?

• WTF? 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I like Jenkins.  I think he's a good player and a good leader.  I don't think he's an elite pass rusher, but he's a good "2nd guy

I think the point is...is he worth $10m?  

• Upvote 1

Just now, JiF said:

I dont think Bart is wrong.  Jenkins certainly doesnt produce those seemingly instant pressure you see from real pass rusher but I'm shocked that Bart of all people, cant see the Jenkins does a lot of the work that doesnt show up on the stat sheet, similar to Bart.  Jenkins is very good at setting the edge and redirecting runners, he's a big reason why they're so good against the run.  Jenkins is the type of player all teams need, good, not great, wont break the bank but isnt a liability either.  idk - I would love to see them retain Jenkins and eventually find a true pass rusher on the opposite side. 

I read somewhere there is free agent interest in Dante Fowler. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I like Jenkins.  I think he's a good player and a good leader.  I don't think he's an elite pass rusher, but he's a good "2nd guy" 

Possibly. Bart is right about the coverage sacks though. The only game I thought Jenkins looked really good in this year was the Giants game. He seemed to be around the QB all game and came away with a couple of big sacks. Outside of that, a lot of his sacks were clean up plays. 

I do agree that he seems like a good guy though, a team leader, and someone who is deserving of a second contract. But for me it all depends on the price. I wouldn't pay him $8 or $9 million a year. We have to get smarter when it comes to spending.

• Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I like Jenkins.  I think he's a good player and a good leader.  I don't think he's an elite pass rusher, but he's a good "2nd guy" .  As hard as it is to imagine, there is more to playing Outside LB than just pass rushing.  Jenkins is overall an above average starter.  He's not a star, but he's certainly where people should point to for an "upgrade needed"

Agreed, fully.  But the issue is, he’s not really the type of guy you want to give a 2nd contract to.  You want to have his replacement waiting.  That said, I don’t think we can afford to let him go, and hopefully can craft a fair “2nd guy” deal.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

Agreed, fully.  But the issue is, he’s not really the type of guy you want to give a 2nd contract to.  You want to have his replacement waiting.  That said, I don’t think we can afford to let him go, and hopefully can craft a fair “2nd guy” deal.

There are smart roster decisions for a good/decently constructed roster and then there is the strategy that we need to use for this poorly constructed/disaster of a roster. With how completely backwards the roster is built and lacking of players at the most important positions, we have to make some decisions that a quality team would not make.

It’s situational and we have to be aware of our roster and lack of resources to dig out of the hole quickly enough to justify letting players walk. Some players need to be retained simply because we cannot create more holes. Jenkins and possibly Anderson fall into this category because they play premium positions that we are STILL weak at even with them. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I will hate Bart Scott forever as the primary reason his defense wasn’t prepared mentally to go into Pittsburgh and win the AFC Championship a year after losing it.  

He talks a lot, doesn’t back it up.  Perfect for radio.

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

Bart Scott is a sad story. They keep giving him jobs in media because he seems like someone capable of saying something interesting, but all he produces is weird “Ker-dush-ee-en” analogies and washed-out, revisionist bitterman takes on his time with the Jets. Good for him for stealing $50 mil from Woody Johnson, but I hope he’s invested some of it because he’s not long for any profession wherein he has to entertain or inform other humans. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's pretty simple. Coverage/"layup" numbers or not, since they all get them, 7 then 8 sacks for a starting OLB will get him over $10MM/year as a UFA. 

• If the Jets extend him, it'll be at $12MM/year, and then his sack production will dip back down to the 3-sack range again
  • If he signs elsewhere it'll be at $11MM/year, and after we're done high-5'ing each other and laughing at it all offseason, his sack numbers will jump to 12 on his new team, making his adjusted $ value in the $15MM+/year range

So which do you choose?

Jenkins seems like a bring his lunch pail to work type of guy, I dont think you run the risk of getting Mo Wilk'd or Tru'd on a new deal.  He's been a high character guy all the way back to Georgia.  I can remember when we drafted him some of my dawgs buddies saying, he'll never be great but you're going to love him because he's a high character guy with an incredible work ethic who is just a good Football player.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

So which do you choose?

I'd say bye to Jenkins in a heartbeat. He's not a difference maker.

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Tom Shane is a sad story. They keep giving him jobs on JN because he seems like someone capable of saying something interesting, but all he produces is weird “Ker-dush-ee-en” analogies and washed-out, revisionist bitterman takes on his time as a Jets fan. Good for him for stealing 50 mil posts from Maxman, but I'm sad he’s invested all that time because he’s not long for any message board posting wherein he has to entertain or amuse other humans. 

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Bart Scott is 100% right. The stats back him up, and the eye test backs him up.

Jordan Jenkins is not a bad player, I would have no problem with the Jets bringing him back, but he is very average when it comes to rushing the passer. Honestly, the Jets would probably be better letting him walk and just using guys like Basham, and Copeland in his spot next year who could replicate his production. 

This team needs to get better on the edge via FA and/or the draft. 

Absolutely have to upgrade an OLB spot.  Getting a true Edge rusher (who doesn't need to be elite but needs to routinely generate pressure and about 10 sacks per year) needs to be the goal.   I don't know who that guy is or whether we get him through FA or the Draft, but we need him.

IF the Jets do that then a guy like Jenkins is perfectly fine at the other OLB spot.  Jenkins and the TBD Edge rusher serving as bookends around CJ Mosley, Williamson/Hewitt/Burgess, etc. creates an above average LB corps IMO.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

In a perfect world they would sign him to a contract that they can easily get out from under in a year or 2.  That way he can help in the short term, but when other pressing needs come up, he can be let go as needed to free up money to address those needs.

Due to the previous regimes the Jets are in the bad spot where they have to potentially pay guys like Anderson and Jenkins, who are good but not great, simply to avoid creating even more glaring holes on the roster.

• Upvote 3

it all comes down to money.  maybe jenkins isn't a monster lb but he's steady and plays every game.  i disagree about the layup sack statement.  even if it is a coverage sack the qb most likely loses yards and there's always a chance the ball will come out.  there is some value in that.  the qb could also throw the ball away if jenkins is so slow.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Ironically, I’d pay him simply because he’s the one player most annoyed by Jamal Adams. 

Was he the one who made the backhanded compliment some weeks ago? Was something like, "Yeah, that's what he does & we're all aware of it. But he's a great player so we don't give him a hard time about it." But sounded like there's a lot of eye rolling, at least from some players.

Sounds like there's more than one thinking hey, at least he's not a mediocre or even a terrible player running at the mouth all the time. 'Cause Jenkins (if that's the recent quote I'm thinking of) wouldn't have said even that much if he felt there'd be a world of backlash from the rest of the locker room.

Annoying people is hardly the worst crime. Lucky for me.