Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I myself am shocked that so many people think Eli Manning should be in the hall of fame so I would like to know what everyone thinks the criteria for being a hall of fame player is?

Do you think that making plays in clutch moments in big games should make you eligible or are you like myself who thinks you need to have sustained greatness over a period of time to in?

Also are you fans of using team accomplishments as reasoning for individual accolades?  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like when a guy like Winston Hill gets in but mostly I think HoFs are a bunch of BS, with my least favorite being the Rock-n-Roll HoF. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look at Dan Fouts  stats.   I vote ELI in.    2SB in the Brady era.   Top ten in many categories.   But yes.  It’s close.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Eli Manning 7th all time passing yards ahead of ahead of roethlsiburger, moon, rogers

Eli Manning 7th all time td passes ahead of the same three guys and elway

Eli Manning 7th all time completions, 6th all time attempts

Eli Manning 7th games started.

He has a very legit reason to be considered if he did nothing in the playoffs.

Seeing as he won 2 superbowls, and all playoff games via wild card and beat the mighty pats twice he should be in easily.

 

 

Yeah but then look at the QBs around him and let me know the amount of games played compared to him.  I get that durability is a plus but that doesn’t make you great.  All I’m saying is was there ever a season where you thought Eli was a top 3 QB in the league?   Just name one season.  

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eli was an overrated sack. His great defenses and Coughlin got him his rings. And a miracle David Tyree catch.

  • Post of the Week 1
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BallinPB said:

Yeah but then look at the QBs around him and let me know the amount of games played compared to him.  I get that durability is a plus but that doesn’t make you great.  All I’m saying is was there ever a season where you thought Eli was a top 3 QB in the league?   Just name one season.  

Well numbers either mean something or they don't.

Winning SBs either means something or it doesn't.

He has numbers and SB wins.

Rogers, favre, brees 1 SB

Marino zero

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Yeah but then look at the QBs around him and let me know the amount of games played compared to him.  I get that durability is a plus but that doesn’t make you great.  All I’m saying is was there ever a season where you thought Eli was a top 3 QB in the league?   Just name one season.  


The two that he won Superbowls?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a buddy point out to me a few years ago when I was making a case that the hall of fame should be more limited and harsh in admittance point out to me that it was the "Hall of Fame", not the "Hall of Great". Considering the definition of Fame, it makes a lot more sense that certain guys get in. If some kid eating a tide pod on youtube can be 'famous' then the standard of the hall of fame makes a lot more sense. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TNJet said:

Eli was an overrated sack. His great defenses and Coughlin got him his rings. And a miracle David Tyree catch.

Please... he carried those teams on his back.   They were 9-7 and 10-6 his 2 SB years. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Winning two Super Bowls doesn't automatically get you into the hall of fame. See: Jim Plunkett. 

Being a two time Super Bowl MVP against Bill Belichick's and Tom Brady's dynasty can't be overstated. He ended what would have been the greatest season of the NFL, and any American sport for that matter. 210 consecutive regular season starts doesn't hurt. Most players don't win a Super Bowl. Most players don't even make it to the Super Bowl. Most players don't win a Super Bowl MVP. A total of FIVE players have won multiple Super Bowl MVPs including the guy Eli Manning beat twice. Tom Brady has four Super Bowl MVPs. If Eli Manning had beaten Phillip Rivers and Andy Dalton instead of Tom Brady, there MIGHT be a case for Eli not making the hall of fame. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

How does Eli compare to a HOF guy like Curtis Martin in terms of career accomplishments?

Similar - but I would argue that Curtis Martin was easily a top 3-5 NFL running back for several years and Eli was never close to being a top 3-5 NFL QB in any single season of his entire career. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TNJet said:

Eli was an overrated sack. His great defenses and Coughlin got him his rings. And a miracle David Tyree catch.

 

5 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Please... he carried those teams on his back.   They were 9-7 and 10-6 his 2 SB years. 

These two posts read together sum it all up. Debate is futile because anything can be twisted to fit any agenda.

  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

How does Eli compare to a HOF guy like Curtis Martin in terms of career accomplishments?

Great comparison, I wasn't a big CM guy, probably wouldn't have voted for him. He is right there at the door but his poor playoff play was the difference for me.   Eli?? His playoff record is the difference for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eli getting in  depends on if the guys voting him decide to use the word Lucky or Clutch. They can view him as one of the luckiest of all time or one of the most clutch QB's of all time. The Daivd Tyree catch was lucky but Eli escaping the rush and launching that ball in my opinion was clutch. Eh,, to each his own. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's pretty simple -- if longevity and the fact that he won two super bowls mean a lot to you, you're gonna put him in. If actually being an all time great matters to you, you won't.

Eli Manning played in an era of unprecedented offensive explosion where elite QBs dominated. He has a career passer ratings of 84.1, just behind Sam Bradford, Case Keenum, and David Garrard. At no point was he ever even one of the five best QBs in the NFL. He won "Super Bowl MVP" because the greatest offense of all time was held to 14 points.

Personally I think he's one of the most overrated players of all time. His career is virtual identical to Joe Flacco's and NOBODY will argue Flacco should be in the Hall.

Manning will get in because he was a Giant and he's a Manning, but he was an average QB for pretty much his entire career.

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BallinPB said:

Yeah but then look at the QBs around him and let me know the amount of games played compared to him.  I get that durability is a plus but that doesn’t make you great.  All I’m saying is was there ever a season where you thought Eli was a top 3 QB in the league?   Just name one season.  

Hes top ten in every category that counts.

Hes skewed because he didnt miss games due to injury so he complied? Really his durability is a liability? 

I'm looking for the HOF requirement that says you have to be the best in single seasons instead of career accomplishments 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Great comparison, I wasn't a big CM guy, probably wouldn't have voted for him. He is right there at the door but his poor playoff play was the difference for me.   Eli?? His playoff record is the difference for me.

You have to do a lot of explaining to keep the RB with the 4th most total yards out of the HOF 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

 

Personally I think he's one of the most overrated players of all time. His career is virtual identical to Joe Flacco's and NOBODY will argue Flacco should be in the Hall.

Manning will get in because he was a Giant and he's a Manning, but he was an average QB for pretty much his entire career.

Try comparing his numbers to elway. The numbers are identical. And NOBODY would argue elway shouldn't be in the hall of fame.

Eli has more passing yards — 57,073 to Elway’s 51,475, more touchdowns 366 to 300, a higher career completion percentage 60.3% to 56.9%, and one more Super Bowl MVP

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

I had a buddy point out to me a few years ago when I was making a case that the hall of fame should be more limited and harsh in admittance point out to me that it was the "Hall of Fame", not the "Hall of Great". Considering the definition of Fame, it makes a lot more sense that certain guys get in. If some kid eating a tide pod on youtube can be 'famous' then the standard of the hall of fame makes a lot more sense. 

This has always been my argument. The Hall of Famous is a collection of things that were famous points in time for said sport/genre. I'm pretty sure OBJs gloves from that catch against Dallas are in the Hall of Fame.

Between the 2 SBs and the healthy game streak I think that's plenty of justification. Not to mention the Giants were given no shot to knock off the Pats in that first one. Is he one of the best QBs in terms of say selecting a QB to have for 1 given season? Probably not but he is a QB in a major city with a golden last name to go along with the previously mentioned accomplishments. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NFL 100 is a better judge of all time greats than the HOF.  The reason Winston Hill got in and Joe Klecko won't is simple.  You look at the tape of SB 3 Winston Hill was the most dominating player on the field against what at the time was the best D in the NFL.  That has impact on voters.  Pure domination in big games.

Winning championships isn't the only criteria.  In a team game if you win two SB MVP's you get a good hard look.  

When HOF voters look at the tape on that pass to Mario Mannheim and they will, it will have an impact. It epitomized great clutch performance.  It counts.  

Drew Brees and Curtis Martin aren't on the NFL 100 for a reason.  Eli Manning would never make that list.  The HOF rewards, longevity, championship and superior play for a relatively short time frame if you got rings.  If you're an OL man different story.  You better be real good for a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Similar - but I would argue that Curtis Martin was easily a top 3-5 NFL running back for several years and Eli was never close to being a top 3-5 NFL QB in any single season of his entire career. 

For 2 SB runs he was arguably the best QB in the NFL against the best competition.  Martin not so much.  

The reality is Martin doesn't belong in the same club as Jim Brown, Joe Montana, Lawrence Taylor and Jerry Rice and neither does Eli Manning.  Lots of guys get in who have no business being considered all time greats.

If the criteria is all time great the HOF should be fumigated.  The criteria is subjective to the voters.  

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

I had a buddy point out to me a few years ago when I was making a case that the hall of fame should be more limited and harsh in admittance point out to me that it was the "Hall of Fame", not the "Hall of Great". Considering the definition of Fame, it makes a lot more sense that certain guys get in. If some kid eating a tide pod on youtube can be 'famous' then the standard of the hall of fame makes a lot more sense. 

This is a great post.  The other thing about the HOF is it functions to promote NFL Football.  Putting in popular players is good business.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Great comparison, I wasn't a big CM guy, probably wouldn't have voted for him. He is right there at the door but his poor playoff play was the difference for me.   Eli?? His playoff record is the difference for me.

As a Jets fan, who would you rather have in a big game, Curtis Martin or Freeman McNeil? Not even close. I think Freeman is 100x better than Curtis.

  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Eli getting in  depends on if the guys voting him decide to use the word Lucky or Clutch. They can view him as one of the luckiest of all time or one of the most clutch QB's of all time. The Daivd Tyree catch was lucky but Eli escaping the rush and launching that ball in my opinion was clutch. Eh,, to each his own. 

Doing something once might be lucky. Doing it twice means your clutch.

Joe Namath is in the Hall of Fame mostly because of one incredibly significant win, Super Bowl III was the first win for the AFC. Eli gets into the Hall of Fame because of not one, but two Super Bowl wins and two Super Bowl MVPs. The first win over the Patriots was truly historic, maybe not on the level of Super Bowl III, but it prevented a 19-0 undefeated season.

Put those two huge accomplishments next to him being 7th all time in passing yards, touchdowns, etc. I do not know how you keep him out.

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, section314 said:

As a Jets fan, who would you rather have in a big game, Curtis Martin or Freeman McNeil? Not even close. I think Freeman is 100x better than Curtis.

I'd rather have Bo Jackson.  He's not going in the HOF either.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ronde Barber's career to me is a no brainer HOF career and he hasnt even been a finalist so who knows. I think Tiki deserves consideration too, considering he was dominant at his peak and had a fairly long career for a back. Also retired kinda early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Doing something once might be lucky. Doing it twice means your clutch.

Joe Namath is in the Hall of Fame mostly because of one incredibly significant win, Super Bowl III was the first win for the AFC. Eli gets into the Hall of Fame because of not one, but two Super Bowl wins and two Super Bowl MVPs. The first win over the Patriots was truly historic, maybe not on the level of Super Bowl III, but it prevented a 19-0 undefeated season.

Put those two huge accomplishments next to him being 7th all time in passing yards, touchdowns, etc. I do not know how you keep him out.

Well said it is a done deal folks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Try comparing his numbers to elway. The numbers are identical. And NOBODY would argue elway shouldn't be in the hall of fame.

Eli has more passing yards — 57,073 to Elway’s 51,475, more touchdowns 366 to 300, a higher career completion percentage 60.3% to 56.9%, and one more Super Bowl MVP

 

Mark Sanchez has a better career TD/INT ratio, comp pct and more playoff wins than Joe Namath. 

That's about how foolish you sound suggesting Eli is even in the same class as Elway.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BallinPB said:

I myself am shocked that so many people think Eli Manning should be in the hall of fame so I would like to know what everyone thinks the criteria for being a hall of fame player is?

He's not getting in.

SAR I

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I'd rather have Bo Jackson.  He's not going in the HOF either.

When you watch the 30 for 30 on ESPN about Bo, it's just plain scary what a great athlete he was. I am 62, but never got to the the immortal Jackie Robinson play. So far, from all I've seen, Bo is the greatest I've ever witnessed. Not counting Roy Hobbs.😁

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Mark Sanchez has a better career TD/INT ratio, comp pct and more playoff wins than Joe Namath. 

That's about how foolish you sound suggesting Eli is even in the same class as Elway.

This.

Playoffs don't determine if one is a Hall Of Famer.  It's the entire career, and Eli is a .500 quarterback.  I can't even believe we are having this conversation.  He wasn't even Top 5 at his position. 

Eli's reward for his career will be 2 rings and 2 Super Bowl MVP trophies.  That's enough.

SAR I

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, section314 said:

When you watch the 30 for 30 on ESPN about Bo, it's just plain scary what a great athlete he was. I am 62, but never got to the the immortal Jackie Robinson play. So far, from all I've seen, Bo is the greatest I've ever witnessed. Not counting Roy Hobbs.😁

I'd put Bo in the HOF for his 91 yard run into the tunnel on Monday night football. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...