Tony The Wiz

Offensive Tackle to the Jets at 11 or ?

Thanks for your insights. If Wirfs, Lamb and Jeudy are all sitting there, who do you take? Do you rank starting LT above #1 WR? I personally go LT all things being equal. 

If it’s a choice between potential Joe Thomas vs. Julio Jones type players I think I’d have to go ALL Pro WR vs. All Pro LT I’d have to go WR (for Sam’s sake)

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Thanks for your insights. If Wirfs, Lamb and Jeudy are all sitting there, who do you take? Do you rank starting LT above #1 WR? I personally go LT all things being equal. 

If it’s a choice between potential Joe Thomas vs. Julio Jones type players I think I’d have to go ALL Pro WR vs. All Pro LT I’d have to go WR (for Sam’s sake)

This is what makes markets.....I'd have to go OT for just the same reason.😎

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

40 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Because of this draft you have to pick the Tackle. The wide Receivers are very deep in this draft.  Even if you produce 8 first round or early 2nd round Wide receivers the draft still will have the likes of Michael Pitman, Van Jefferson, Gabriel Davis and Chase Claypool still out there. You can't say this with the OT.  My harder choice is Epensa. If you watch some of his games he takes over the games more than Chase Young. He is that good. But the OT has to be Wirfs.  If he is gone than go Wide out,   

• Upvote 2

I may not agree with Tony's analysis, but he does his work, so you have to respect him. I'm also pretty high on Epenesa (especially if the Jets switch to a 4-3). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Depends on free agency but assuming we don't sign a LT (Castonzo) then we have to take Wirfs. 

• Upvote 2

I think there's a very possible, even likely scenario where the Jets end up on the clock at #11 with a choice between the #4 OT and the #1 WR.  They will have to decide if they want to take the first WR of the Draft (a Draft rich in WR talent) or take one of the very good leftovers at OT (but a guy who may not have been their first, second or even third OT choice).

I have to trust in J Douglas here, even if he thinks a trade down is the best move.  I just don't want to see us move up.  No reason to do that in this Draft in Round 1.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, maury77 said:

I may not agree with Tony's analysis, but he does his work, so you have to respect him. I'm also pretty high on Epenesa (especially if the Jets switch to a 4-3). 

Is there talk if this potentially? I know they switched up fronts a lot last year, but I think their front 7 personnel fits a 4-3 better.

Take the tackle.  The top two WRs are nice but not must have beasts imo and there is a lot of WR talent in this draft.

Also FA would have absolutely zero factor in my choice.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

I think there's a very possible, even likely scenario where the Jets end up on the clock at #11 with a choice between the #4 OT and the #1 WR.  They will have to decide if they want to take the first WR of the Draft (a Draft rich in WR talent) or take one of the very good leftovers at OT (but a guy who may not have been their first, second or even third OT choice).

I have to trust in J Douglas here, even if he thinks a trade down is the best move.  I just don't want to see us move up.  No reason to do that in this Draft in Round 1.

Now if Epenesa is there and he has an incredible combine and Wirfs and Jeudy  are gone to the Giants and Arizona. Who do you take?   You would have Kenneth Murray, Grant Delpit , Willis,Jr and DeeDee Lamb. Who do you take?     

Tristan Wirfs would be a solid pick - CBS mock has the Jets taking him over the WR but it's early

hopefully the combine does not change the ranking too much - 3 years of tape should be enough 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Now if Epenesa is there and he has an incredible combine and Wirfs and Jeudy  are gone to the Giants and Arizona. Who do you take?   You would have Kenneth Murray, Grant Delpit , Willis,Jr and DeeDee Lamb. Who do you take?     

For me it would be between Wills and CeeDee Lamb.  I'm taking one of these 6 (Thomas, Wirfs, Becton, Wills, Jeudy, Lamb) before I even think about Epenesa.

• Upvote 2

as above, gotta give the ton bone his props...   dont have it in me to do that level of study...    tho i think itd be pretty fun...

9 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

For me it would be between Wills and CeeDee Lamb.  I'm taking one of these 6 (Thomas, Wirfs, Becton, Wills, Jeudy, Lamb) before I even think about Epenesa.

Replace Lamb with Okudah and I agree.

12 hours ago, Tony The Wiz said:

Buy a bottle of Jack Daniels and cry yourself to sleep.

12 hours ago, Tony The Wiz said:

image.png.5367aec698e0abc45f3001f9349e26db.png

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

We desperately need a combination of both (Wirfs, Becton, Thomas) AND (Lamb, Jeudy)

only way we can get it is if we do the smart thing and trade Adams 

Tony the wiz i enjoy your musings and odd writing style. Much like the honey badger, you dont give a shyt.

so, can you give us some hot names in positions of need that might go in rounds 2-4? Not everyone watches tons of college

12 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Tristan Wirfs would be a solid pick - CBS mock has the Jets taking him over the WR but it's early

hopefully the combine does not change the ranking too much - 3 years of tape should be enough 

Wirfs gonna kill his combine

What we have going for us is the top 3 qbs, Young, Simmons, Okudah, Jeudy, Kinlaw are all going top 10 so one of the three top OTs is falling to us at 11

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Is there talk if this potentially? I know they switched up fronts a lot last year, but I think their front 7 personnel fits a 4-3 better.

I haven't heard it, but the switch would make sense

15 minutes ago, section314 said:

EWE asked for it.😁

Almost bannable on account of SHEAR stupidity.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Almost bannable on account of SHEAR stupidity.

This thread might get derailed if we keep trying to RAM these puns down people's throats.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Wirfs gonna kill his combine

What we have going for us is the top 3 qbs, Young, Simmons, Okudah, Jeudy, Kinlaw are all going top 10 so one of the three top OTs is falling to us at 11

Epenesa, and Derrick Brown are also both top-10 candidates. 

20 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

If either one does well in the workouts absolutely 

Plus it’s a deep OL draft some teams may count on drafting OL in round 2

17 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Thank you for your analysis. What’s your opinion ofJosh Jones - Houston LT. ?

is he a possible first rounder?

Josh had a nice Senior Bowl. I only seen twice where the end might of got near the QB, But not as a sack but make him uncomfortable. I am going to watch this game again this week and just look at certain OT's. For him being a first rounder right now no. He would have to have an excellent Combine to do that. We have seen that in the past. 

If there is a top notch LT available I hope we take him we are behind, so far behind.

I never believed in the past that the Jets had as dire a need for OL as they do right now. Not lessening the value of any of those players potentially available at 11, but taking OL IMO is a necessity. I will never support selecting a kid like Sammy and then insisting he work with the worst protection in football. If you want a young QB to succeed you MUST protect him. That's starts in the trenches. That's a positional group that's been so severely neglected for a very long time now. Come hell or high water (and I believe this is JD's thinking as well) the Jets must do whatever is necessary to take OL in the draft. That must happen without reaching for picks. So whether that means trading up or down? Then that's what must happen.

3 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

This thread might get derailed if we keep trying to RAM these puns down people's throats.

That was Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Tony the wiz i enjoy your musings and odd writing style. Much like the honey badger, you dont give a shyt.

so, can you give us some hot names in positions of need that might go in rounds 2-4? Not everyone watches tons of college

I always stated that there are 4 parts of these prospect evaluations for the year.   First part........ Regular Season.  2nd Part.......Bowl Games.   3rd Part.......All Star Games if you attend/ or Your Pro day   and the 4th Part....................The NFL Combine.  We have now viewed most of three parts.  So The Combine and than for some their Pro day will be real important. 

So I am going to give you three examples how these bowl games or All Star games can affect your rankings after your season was up.

We seen Austin Jackson of USC have a bad game in his bowl game. He was up there as the top tackle in this draft and because of this he fell down some. Same as Tyler Biadasz in his bowl game. His game wasn't as bad as Jackson but he made others catch up to him as the best center in this draft.  Now we just watched the Senior Bowl and Calvin Throckmorten was terrible at tackle. At Oregon he looked real good all year. But watching what we saw he would never get drafted as a tackle. He needs to be a Guard.  

So to answer your question we really need to see all 4 parts but these are the tackles I am intrigued with. Josh Jones moved himself up after having a nice game in the Senior Bowl. Lucas Niang who would of been one of the top right tackles if it wasn't for his injury during mid season is someone to keep an eye on.  Mekhi Becton who is a monster at tackle but we need to see him at the combine and see if he can block real good edge rushers.  And other OT'S like Charlie Heck of North Carolina and Colton Mckivitz of West Virginia had a really nice Senior Bowl. 

At Guards there are so many. Solomon Kindley, John Simpson, Shane Lemieux, and three of my favorites Ben Bredeson, Damien Lewis, and the Warrior Logan Stenberg.   Why I like the last three. They have nastiness in them.  Now they will compete for the 2nd best guard to Wills, Jr. of Alabama who is the best.    And lets not forget one Michigan player and one Ohio St. player.  Jon Runyan and Jonah Jackson will surprise how good they are going to become in the NFL.

At Centers there are a number all bunched in behind Biadasz.  You got Cushenberry and Hennessy who had real good Senior Bowl and you have Nick Harris , Cesar Ruiz,  Jake Hanson and Zack Shackleford right next to them.  But there are two centers that really caught my eye.   Darryl Williams of Miss. St had an incredible East West Shrine game and had a wonderful year and Keith Ismael who had a fantastic Senior Bowl Week.      

3 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

• Upvote 2

Remember Clellin Ferrell last year.  He was projected top 10-20, and went top 10.  He had a decent year.  

Epenesa will get drafted higher than we think. 

Sam would not care if Julio Jones was in a Jets jersey if Sam was watching from the sideline in a cervical collar.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Haha 1