BREAKING NEWS: KOBE BRYANT DIES IN HELICOPTER CRASH

SAR I

I’m sure it’s been said here before but I’m just shocked. I don’t think it’s actually hit me yet. 

I can’t imagine the pain that say a 20-25 year old Lakers fan is feeling right now literally growing up watching this guy. The only equivalent I could think of for me is if Jeter died tomorrow. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 3

Lakers-Clippers game tonight has been Postponed.  No surprise there.  That org/city needs at least a day or 2 to recover from the shock.  

As sad as I am for the loss of Kobe I'm even more sad for those three 13-year old girls that were lost.  Just terrible.  And it was preventable too.  No way that chopper should have taken off in the weather that was reported in the area.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

Heard an interesting analogy trying to put in perspective for those outside Los Angeles what this kind of loss feels like.  "Imagine as a lifelong New Yorker and Yankees fan you woke up today and found out Derek Jeter had been killed in a car accident.  That's what kind of shock this is."

First, thanks to @The Crusher for opening this again.  I wasn't really a Kobe fan, in fact...I pretty much disliked the guy most of his career but I had huge respect for his competitiveness and drive.  He's on the same level with guys like Tiger Woods, Tom Brady, etc.  There was a different kind of fire that burned inside that guy.

We're hearing stories now about his "second act" and how happy, fulfilled and giving he was becoming in his post-NBA life.  It sucks to see someone struck down in his prime.....and that's what I really think this was, Kobe was heading into his prime as a father, as an entrepreneur, as a human being.  I think he was trying to make his second act even better than the years he spent throwing a ball through a hoop.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Lakers-Clippers game tonight has been Postponed.  No surprise there.  That org/city needs at least a day or 2 to recover from the shock.  

As sad as I am for the loss of Kobe I'm even more sad for those three 13-year old girls that were lost.  Just terrible.  And it was preventable too.  No way that chopper should have taken off in the weather that was reported in the area.

LAPD wasn't flying that morning.  The cloud ceiling and visibility didn't meet the requirements for them to put their two helicopters in the air that day.  This does look avoidable unfortunately.  The pilot was well-respected and competent, not just as a pilot but as an instructor as well.  I don't know if there was pressure on him to make the flight against his better judgement or what, but this is just a complete tragedy and a reminder to always err on the side of caution.

Lots of families and communities hurting from this, not just because of the Bryants.  I work south of LA often, in the Long Beach and Orange County areas.  There a lots of small, close knit communities down there and the loss of the Mausers and Altobellis will be felt for a long time.  Those people were very involved in schools, sports and their communities.  The loss of those 3 girls is even more tragic and will leave scars on their friends, classmates and teammates forever.

• Upvote 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...