SAR I

BREAKING NEWS: KOBE BRYANT DIES IN HELICOPTER CRASH

I was at the pub having a quick lunch as the pro bowl started. The whole place gasped loudly when the news cut in. So crazy......

rip

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

others were died in the crash including baseball high school national coach of the year John altobelli , his wife and  daughter who was playing at the same basketball team as Kobe's daughter

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, fusionCA said:

others were died in the crash including baseball high school national coach of the year John altobelli , his wife and  daughter who was playing at the same basketball team as Kobe's daughter

Jeez that's a disaster.

• Upvote 1

Ok, I have a request to open this. This is a thread to mourn Kobe and the others that loss their lives that day, if you feel the need to share with us anything other than than I’m going to ban you. Go to another thread. Thanks. 

• Upvote 4

Lakers-Clippers game tonight has been Postponed.  No surprise there.  That org/city needs at least a day or 2 to recover from the shock.  

As sad as I am for the loss of Kobe I'm even more sad for those three 13-year old girls that were lost.  Just terrible.  And it was preventable too.  No way that chopper should have taken off in the weather that was reported in the area.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

Heard an interesting analogy trying to put in perspective for those outside Los Angeles what this kind of loss feels like.  "Imagine as a lifelong New Yorker and Yankees fan you woke up today and found out Derek Jeter had been killed in a car accident.  That's what kind of shock this is."

First, thanks to @The Crusher for opening this again.  I wasn't really a Kobe fan, in fact...I pretty much disliked the guy most of his career but I had huge respect for his competitiveness and drive.  He's on the same level with guys like Tiger Woods, Tom Brady, etc.  There was a different kind of fire that burned inside that guy.

We're hearing stories now about his "second act" and how happy, fulfilled and giving he was becoming in his post-NBA life.  It sucks to see someone struck down in his prime.....and that's what I really think this was, Kobe was heading into his prime as a father, as an entrepreneur, as a human being.  I think he was trying to make his second act even better than the years he spent throwing a ball through a hoop.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Lakers-Clippers game tonight has been Postponed.  No surprise there.  That org/city needs at least a day or 2 to recover from the shock.  

As sad as I am for the loss of Kobe I'm even more sad for those three 13-year old girls that were lost.  Just terrible.  And it was preventable too.  No way that chopper should have taken off in the weather that was reported in the area.

LAPD wasn't flying that morning.  The cloud ceiling and visibility didn't meet the requirements for them to put their two helicopters in the air that day.  This does look avoidable unfortunately.  The pilot was well-respected and competent, not just as a pilot but as an instructor as well.  I don't know if there was pressure on him to make the flight against his better judgement or what, but this is just a complete tragedy and a reminder to always err on the side of caution.

Lots of families and communities hurting from this, not just because of the Bryants.  I work south of LA often, in the Long Beach and Orange County areas.  There a lots of small, close knit communities down there and the loss of the Mausers and Altobellis will be felt for a long time.  Those people were very involved in schools, sports and their communities.  The loss of those 3 girls is even more tragic and will leave scars on their friends, classmates and teammates forever.

• Upvote 3

Saw this posted on twitter earlier today, posted by wife of a former Phoenix Suns PR exec..  What a beautiful story. 

RIP Big Kobe and Little Kobe.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lith said:

Saw this posted on twitter earlier today, posted by wife of a former Phoenix Suns PR exec..  What a beautiful story. 

Wow, thanks for sharing. Me? No I’m not crying honest. 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lith said:

Wow. 

This is an incredible story

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Vanessa Bryants Eulogy ... I cried 

& Jordan saying he's going to have to deal with another crying meme. 

Great send off... I hope I never get to experience something so painful in her shoes. 

• Like 1