Pro Bowl Alternative

So I assume we all agree that the modern pro bowl is a waste of time.

However, the SB Bye week almost requires that some kind of NFL be displayed this week.

So what's the alternative?

• You could move up the NFL Championship Game one week. Would that hurt revenues much?
  • The NFL used to hold a  "runner up" game, but that didn't work. If it wasn't for Tom Matte having to play QB that one time, no one would even remember it. 
  • The skills competition is just silly
  • Touch football tourney between conferences?
  • Can't do an old-timers game 

So how is this (saw it suggested recently)

Have a playoff between the two worst teams for the #1 draft pick. Tell me that wouldn't be interesting, especially if your team is in it.

I'd take that one step further. the Saturday of the Conference Championships, Seed #4 at Seed #1, Seed #3 at seed #2. The Sunday before the NFL Championship Game, the winners of the two games would play for the first pick in the upcoming draft.

If nothing else, it would give all the "tank for whatevers" fan a rare chance to see what it is to root for the team that they support to win a game.  

Any thoughts?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

59 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

However, the SB Bye week almost requires that some kind of NFL be displayed this week.

• You could move up the NFL Championship Game one week. Would that hurt revenues much?
  • The NFL used to hold a  "runner up" game, but that didn't work. If it wasn't for Tom Matte having to play QB that one time, no one would even remember it. 

Have a playoff between the two worst teams for the #1 draft pick. Tell me that wouldn't be interesting, especially if your team is in it.

I'd take that one step further. the Saturday of the Conference Championships, Seed #4 at Seed #1, Seed #3 at seed #2. The Sunday before the NFL Championship Game, the winners of the two games would play for the first pick in the upcoming draft.

If nothing else, it would give all the "tank for whatevers" fan a rare chance to see what it is to root for the team that they support to win a game.  

Any thoughts?

Players association would never allow it. You would have 3 more weeks of practice and a game for 2 teams with no tangible (cash) upside for the players.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, The Crimson King said:

Any thoughts?

What ? With BOTH teams trying to throw the game to get the #1 pick.

My idea is this...

It would still be nice to recognize Pro Bowl performances without having to play the useless game.  So, I propose this.

You still select Pro Bowlers for each position.  They get the tittle and the recognition.

Next...

You send all the Pro Bowlers to Hawaii for an amazing vacation.  And you have a fun spectacle on TV that will be a lot more entertaining and safe for the players than an actual football game...

NFC vs AFC in the following

1. Tug Of War

2. Dunking Booth,

3. Pie Eating Contest

4. Idiotic but funny and safe obstacle course

5 Blocking Sled push

6. Football through the tire

7. Bobbing for apples

8. Greased pig chase

You get the picture.  Lots of fun and laughs.  The most points wins. NFC or AFC

16 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

My idea is this...

It would still be nice to recognize Pro Bowl performances without having to play the useless game.  So, I propose this.

You still select Pro Bowlers for each position.  They get the tittle and the recognition.

Next...

You send all the Pro Bowlers to Hawaii for an amazing vacation.  And you have a fun spectacle on TV that will be a lot more entertaining and safe for the players than an actual football game...

1. Tug Of War

2. Dunking Booth,

3. Pie Eating Contest

5 Blocking Sled push

7. Bobbing for apples

8. Greased pig chase

9. tackling your most hated rivals mascot

Had to add one

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Any thoughts?

Just watch the Royal Rumble 

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Players association would never allow it. You would have 3 more weeks of practice and a game for 2 teams with no tangible (cash) upside for the players.

Think of how huge the fake injury lists would be for this. Absolutely zero incentive for any player to risk his health in that game.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

56 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

My idea is this...

Next...

1. Tug Of War

2. Dunking Booth,

3. Pie Eating Contest

5 Blocking Sled push

7. Bobbing for apples

8. Greased pig chase

Basically, bring back the 'Superstars' competition ABC used to run back in the 70s.

• Haha 1

won't it basically the the same as teams that are in the championship playoffs?

Why would the players play this game? Most players are paid well under their pay rate for the Super Bowl (I think winners get $119k, losers half that, and the average NFL salary works out to about $170k/game), but it's the Super Bowl. Otherwise I don't see them playing, and I don't see anyone paying $18MM in salaries (average × 106 players) for the loser bowl. 

Honestly, I was fine watching the all-madden team in the bye week, back when the pro bowl was played after the super bowl. Just do something like that, wrap the year up to that point with the mother of all highlight shows.

5 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Any thoughts?

Tom matte played QB in the actual NFL championship game against the packers.  Bart Starr also got knocked out of that game very early, so it was backup QB vs running back qb.

6 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Any thoughts?

This doesn't make sense to me. You are you going to take the two worst teams and make them play after they have been off for a few weeks.

Who gets the # 1 pick the team that wins or the team that loses? Flawed either way, if it is the loser you are going to have a team who probably already fired their coach. If the winner gets the # 1 pick you could have a scenario where an 0 and 16 team gets blown own because a 3 and 13 team was much better. You just gave the worse team the 2nd overall pick.

• Upvote 1

Yes.  Unquestionably.

It really doesn't.

Nothing would be the best alternative.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, THE BARON said:

My idea is this...

Next...

1. Tug Of War

2. Dunking Booth,

3. Pie Eating Contest

5 Blocking Sled push

7. Bobbing for apples

8. Greased pig chase

Bowling, its in the name.

7 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

What ? With BOTH teams trying to throw the game to get the #1 pick.

It would be whoever wins gets the better draft pick. So the Bengals would have to win a game or two.

In theory I like it but I'd have to imagine there are a ton of hurdles. 

- Would coaches be fired after the season? Or do they need a few weeks of limbo until after these games?

- Would players try to throw a game, specifically a QB that could prevent his successor from being selected?

- There would probably need to be a financial incentive for the players

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Think of how huge the fake injury lists would be for this. Absolutely zero incentive for any player to risk his health in that game.

I'd have to imagine the better pick would be awarded to the winning teams not the losing teams. That's the only way a format like that could makes sense. Players contracts would have to be extrapolated to include those games without cap ramifications.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Bingo. These guys are the best in the league. Why risk $15 million contracts. They are not going to get hurt in some meaningless game. 

16 hours ago, T0mShane said:

brings up a question ...

so they players in post season don't get paid extra for those games? I always assumed that they would, which is kind of an incentive 

besides, a pro is a pro no matter what profession

Name the all stars, put together a 90-120 minute TV show with highlights and human interest stories on the “participants,” and air it on the Sunday between the championships and the Super Bowl. Done. 

Playing the game or, really, having them do anything physically is useless. They’re all -rightly- concerned about getting hurt for nothing. So don’t put them in that situation.