2020 Plan V1.0

BettyBoop

Only one more week to go before the Jets real season begins.  Here's my projections;

Free Agency

• Joe Thuney, G
  • Dante Fowler, OLB
  • Byron Jones, CB
  • Graham Glasgow, G/C
  • Kelvin Beachum, LT
  • Devin Funchess, WR

Draft 

• First Round - Tristan Wirfs, T
  • Second Round - Justin Jefferson, WR
  • Third Round - Jaylon Johnson, CB
  • Third Round - Lloyd Cushenberry, C
  • Fourth Round - Donovan Peoples-Jones, WR
  • Fifth Round - Hakeem Adeniji, T/G
  • Seventh Round - Salvon Ahmed, RB

That's five OL newcomers and while they won't all start, they could be very solid, if not spectacular, by mid-season.  Cornerbacks should be drastically improved with Jones and Johnson.  Yes, yes, I know there isnt a #1 receiver (although I absolutely love Justin Jefferson) but you can't get everything in one off-season.  I also put off taking a RB until round 7 but I think there are too many other holes that need to be addressed.  And of course, if the OL really does improve, so does Bell.  Peoples-Jones is an excellent return guy as well.  Salvon Ahmed is not a big guy but he's got the burners which is what the Jets need at RB.  And he has special teams value as well.

If Douglas has his way (i.e., Chris Johnson stays on his yacht and doesn't interfere), he should avoid the biggest ticket free agents for the sake of filling the many needs of the team.  The only big ticket free agent on my list is Dante Fowler which allows Douglas to address OL and WR instead of an OLB in the draft.

Other Possibilities

• Trades - Would Douglas be willing to trade Bell by picking up $5mm of his contract for a fourth round pick?  Maybe but that creates another hole to be filled.  There is no depth behind Bell and a draft pick would be used to replace him.  And the fourth round pick won't cut it.  I don't think Bell is going anywhere in that scenario.  Now, if a team is willing to give up a decent OL (Hello Dan Snyder)) for Bell, that's another story.  If that happens, it's likely that Jeudy or Lamb is taken in round one and a RB (JK Dobbins?) in round two.  Now you're talking!  Don't think that will happen either.

• Thumb Down 1

Not a bad approach.  In terms of guys to bring back I'd like to see the Jets try to return....

• Beachum at LT
  • Alex Lewis at OG
  • Brian Poole at CB
  • Jordan Jenkins at OLB

Those would be the key guys to me.  If they can add....

• Dante Fowler, OLB
  • Byron Jones, CB
  • Graham Glasgow, G/C

...that would really help heading into the Draft and allow some flexibility.  I'm not a fan of spending a ton of money on Joe Thuney.  I'd find another capable OT (probably a RT) in free agency.

WR is a big concern to me.  There's a chance right now that Crowder might be the only good player returning next year and he's neither an outside X or Z  wide receiver.  Having a great slot guy is nice, but we need some true Wideouts.  It will need to be addressed in BOTH free agency and the Draft.  Jefferson from LSU would be a nice get but I don't see him lasting much longer than early Round 2, probably gone by the time the Jets draft.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:
  • Devin Funchess, WR

Draft 

Image result for clint eastwood gifs
  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Only one more week to go before the Jets real season begins.  Here's my projections;

Free Agency

• Joe Thuney, G
  • Dante Fowler, OLB
  • Byron Jones, CB
  • Graham Glasgow, G/C
  • Kelvin Beachum, LT
  • Devin Funchess, WR

Draft 

That's five OL newcomers and while they won't all start, they could be very solid, if not spectacular, by mid-season.  Cornerbacks should be drastically improved with Jones and Johnson.  Yes, yes, I know there isnt a #1 receiver (although I absolutely love Justin Jefferson) but you can't get everything in one off-season.  I also put off taking a RB until round 7 but I think there are too many other holes that need to be addressed.  And of course, if the OL really does improve, so does Bell.  Peoples-Jones is an excellent return guy as well.  Salvon Ahmed is not a big guy but he's got the burners which is what the Jets need at RB.  And he has special teams value as well.

If Douglas has his way (i.e., Chris Johnson stays on his yacht and doesn't interfere), he should avoid the biggest ticket free agents for the sake of filling the many needs of the team.  The only big ticket free agent on my list is Dante Fowler which allows Douglas to address OL and WR instead of an OLB in the draft.

Other Possibilities

• Trades - Would Douglas be willing to trade Bell by picking up $5mm of his contract for a fourth round pick?  Maybe but that creates another hole to be filled.  There is no depth behind Bell and a draft pick would be used to replace him.  And the fourth round pick won't cut it.  I don't think Bell is going anywhere in that scenario.  Now, if a team is willing to give up a decent OL (Hello Dan Snyder)) for Bell, that's another story.  If that happens, it's likely that Jeudy or Lamb is taken in round one and a RB (JK Dobbins?) in round two.  Now you're talking!  Don't think that will happen either.

Can they afford those free agents?

15 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Free Agency

• Joe Thuney, G
  • Dante Fowler, OLB
  • Byron Jones, CB
  • Graham Glasgow, G/C
  • Kelvin Beachum, LT
  • Devin Funchess, WR

Draft 

Other Possibilities

the positions seem about right.  funchess is pretty slow, 4.7.  why not re-sign robbie and then draft a guy pretty high?

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

the positions seem about right.  funchess is pretty slow, 4.7.  why not re-sign robbie and then draft a guy pretty high?

Funchess would likely take a one year $9-10mm deal due to recent injury.  He's not the fastest for sure but he's a big body that I think would be very useful to Darnold.  Jefferson in the second round would be pretty solid.  

Crowder, Jefferson, Funchess, Herndon and Griffen along with V. Smith and D. Thomas would be solid, if not spectacular.  Even more so with a good OL.

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

Can they afford those free agents?

I hope so.

• Joe Thuney, G - $10mm
  • Dante Fowler, OLB - $15mm
  • Byron Jones, CB - $12mm
  • Graham Glasgow, G/C - $8mm
  • Kelvin Beachum, LT - $10mm
  • Devin Funchess, WR - $9mm

It might mean having to cut Avery Williamson but with the improvements on the OL, CB and OLB I think the juice is worth the squeeze.

54 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Sure. 

but ditch Funchess. He’s done. 

Maybe because I went to Michigan I'm biased.  He was hurt last year but two years ago he had 44 receptions and three years ago he had 63 with 8 TD.  And he's only 25.  I would take a flyer on him on a one year prove-it deal.  Unless Douglas swings for the fences and tries to sign Amari Cooper or AJ Green there aren't too many other free agent receivers out there to speak of.  And both of those guys would be too expensive for this team right now.

8 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Maybe because I went to Michigan I'm biased.  He was hurt last year but two years ago he had 44 receptions and three years ago he had 63 with 8 TD.  And he's only 25.  I would take a flyer on him on a one year prove-it deal.  Unless Douglas swings for the fences and tries to sign Amari Cooper or AJ Green there aren't too many other free agent receivers out there to speak of.  And both of those guys would be too expensive for this team right now.

Didn't he have like a ton of clutch drops in Carolina? Or was it running the wrong routes or both?  Nice 2017 stat line though, I'll give you that.  But that alone doesn't do it for me.  Id rather keep Anderson and draft a WR than Funchess.  I could be totally wrong of course.  That's why Joe Douglas is in Florham Park and I'm not.

Jeez... how long till free agency?  This is going to be torture.  I mean... we are actually talking about Funchess here.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Didn't he have like a ton of clutch drops in Carolina? Or was it running the wrong routes or both?  Nice 2017 stat line though, I'll give you that.  But that alone doesn't do it for me.  Id rather keep Anderson and draft a WR than Funchess.  I could be totally wrong of course.  That's why Joe Douglas is in Florham Park and I'm not.

Jeez... how long till free agency?  This is going to be torture.  I mean... we are actually talking about Funchess here.

?I know, and talking like he could actually help us.

I think the Jets can extend Beachum and Lewis, and sign Conklin, and basically punt at Guard.  Either a good T drops who becomes a G until Beachum is done, or you basically rotate 3 tackles throughout the season as they each inevitably get hurt.  

If for some reason a viable T is not there in Rd 1, you draft one or a G in RD 3 or below.

Winters should go, but a decision does not need to made on him, and Williamson, until early September; a little sleezy, but a possibility.  

21 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Free Agency

• Joe Thuney, G
  • Dante Fowler, OLB
  • Byron Jones, CB
  • Graham Glasgow, G/C
  • Kelvin Beachum, LT
  • Devin Funchess, WR

Draft 

Other Possibilities

I'd be all for the free agency part of your plan (I'd take a gamble on Funchess for cheap)  but idk if we're going to be able to afford all of them. Fowler and Thuney are gonna be at least 13mil/year each, Jones is the best CB on the market. I'll be really upset if we miss on Glasgow though his age+ versatility would go a long way with improving the offense

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Exactly.  Sometimes people just assume if you want to sign a guy he’s yours.  This was just a fantasy football wishlist.  

I think alot of these "market values" are driven up by desperate teams with dopey GMs. 

In recent years that has been Mac and Bruce Allen of the Redskins, among others.

One would hope that as all the dopey GMs get fired, there is no one to offer crazy money to players only slightly better than those who make half as much.

I think that was the Buffalo approach to FA-sign alot of good players for fair prices, and they made the playoffs.  I hope JD pursues a strategy more like that, but a high bid for Conklin as alot of appeal.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Welp said:

Replace Funchess with Perriman if we lose Anderson.

Perriman is an intriguing thought.  He is through his first 4 seasons without really catching on, but he really came into his own at the end of last year.  Over his last 4, he had 20 for 419 and 5.  Extrapolated over 16 game season that would have been 80 for 1,676 with 20 TDs, with a 65% catch rate.  The Bucs passing game was pretty prolific, but he did work with and without Evans and Godwin.  He may be in line for a nice pay day.  He got $4M guaranteed this year and his price went up.  The Bucs probably can't afford to put more money at WR with Evans getting paid and Godwin in the last year of his deal. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not even close.  We're only going to end up with about $30-35M in spending money for free agents.

The OP has us spending over $50M.  lol.

I don’t disagree, but how do you see the math working?

I think that math does make it hard to keep Avery.  

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

I don’t disagree, but how do you see the math working?

I think that math does make it hard to keep Avery.  

We're going to end up having to keep Beachum because I don't see any better FA LT's shaking loose, nor does it seem likely we'll be able to find a day 1 starter at LT at # 11 overall.  So that's at least a $10M 2020 cap hit there and probably more like $12M.  

Cutting Winters is a no-brainer, as is Trumaine to save a total of $10.3M.  I'm against cutting Williamson outright, as he was our 2nd best defender in 2018.  Trade him if you can, keep him otherwise.  

There's a lot of question marks on who we bring back, but Robby, Jenkins, Poole, Alex Lewis, Demaryius Thomas, Hewitt, Burgess and Lac Edwards are all worth at least considering bringing back.  Sign all of them and we end up with even less than I stated earlier.  My assumption is we end up letting Robby walk.  

40 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We're going to end up having to keep Beachum because I don't see any better FA LT's shaking loose, nor does it seem likely we'll be able to find a day 1 starter at LT at # 11 overall.  So that's at least a $10M 2020 cap hit there and probably more like $12M.  

Cutting Winters is a no-brainer, as is Trumaine to save a total of $10.3M.  I'm against cutting Williamson outright, as he was our 2nd best defender in 2018.  Trade him if you can, keep him otherwise.  

There's a lot of question marks on who we bring back, but Robby, Jenkins, Poole, Alex Lewis, Demaryius Thomas, Hewitt, Burgess and Lac Edwards are all worth at least considering bringing back.  Sign all of them and we end up with even less than I stated earlier.  My assumption is we end up letting Robby walk.  

I will keep asking the same question, and maybe there is answer:

If the Jets have such a lousy roster and needs at WR, EDGE and OT, why would some other team pay more for Anderson, Jenkins and Beachum than the Jets would/should?

Maybe the answer is that the Jets need to spend this year on many medium players as opposed to a few big tickets, and focus on the draft?

I think even given that strategy it would be good to keep Beachum and Poole for sanity.  You can see the Jets getting by without Avery and Anderson, in addition to cutting Winters and Roberts.   Sign a big ticket FA like Thuney or Conklin, then we may have something.  

7 minutes ago, varjet said:

I will keep asking the same question, and maybe there is answer:

If the Jets have such a lousy roster and needs at WR, EDGE and OT, why would some other team pay more for Anderson, Jenkins and Beachum than the Jets would/should?

Maybe the answer is that the Jets need to spend this year on many medium players as opposed to a few big tickets, and focus on the draft?

I think even given that strategy it would be good to keep Beachum and Poole for sanity.  You can see the Jets getting by without Avery and Anderson, in addition to cutting Winters and Roberts.   Sign a big ticket FA like Thuney or Conklin, then we may have something.  

Beachum is not the worst starting LT in the league, merely below average.  So if we don't pay him, someone else will.  $10-12M is a fair price for a LT trying for one last payday.  

Jenkins is not a true EDGE.  He's good at what he does but doesn't have a high ceiling.  

Anderson is a difficult case to assess.  He's young and the free agent WR class this year sucks.  Let him test free agency and see what happens.  But my guess is there will be a team out there to hand him around $13M per.  

We're so used to having a dumb GM that we forget sometimes that there are other dumb GM's out there.  And all it takes is one to improperly assess the market.  Macc would probably end up overpaying Robby to stay.  Hopefully ours will be smart enough not to do that.