Chargers Officially Move On From Rivers

SR24

Other than Burrow this is to me a horrifying draft if you need a QB.  Classic case of need pushing guys up and I hope this happens as it is good for us.

Tua is a huge injury concern and even pre injury I thought he was slightly overrated.

Herbert and Love now going top 10?  Boo ya!  Bring it on, huge errors for teams to reach for QBs now.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Rivers looked terrible with weapons galore, why would he look good anywhere else? 

Changing of the Guard happening abruptly now, Eli, Brady, Rivers, Brees, I could even see Stafford being challenged. 

As much as fans thought most teams had their QBs, I see Chargers, Raiders,  Broncos, Colts, Titans. Who knows? 

16 hours ago, SR24 said:

Tampa Bay. He just moved his family there 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/philip-rivers-is-moving-to-florida-and-heres-the-nfl-team-in-the-state-hes-already-being-linked-to/

According to CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora, who reported in November that Rivers and the Chargers would likely be parting ways, there's "a lot of buzz" about Tampa Bay as a potential landing spot for Rivers, which is intriguing for multiple reasons. 

What about Winston? 

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Other than Burrow this is to me a horrifying draft if you need a QB.  Classic case of need pushing guys up and I hope this happens as it is good for us.

Tua is a huge injury concern and even pre injury I thought he was slightly overrated.

Herbert and Love now going top 10?  Boo ya!  Bring it on, huge errors for teams to reach for QBs now.

That is what everybody was saying in 2017.

This might end up being one of the most fascinating and chaotic draft years/off season in recent history. Between all the guys retiring, there's QB's who are free agents, QB's to draft ... All of a sudden, it's very few teams, rather than most of them, that you can actually be sure of who is their starter next year.

NE: Do they move on to a new cheater?

BUF: standing pat.

NYJ: ditto

MIA: Fitz, Rosen - a draft pick?

BAL: standing pat and tall

PIT: The Molester is over the hill - do they draft/sign/trade for a QB? Not sure the QB is on the roster

CLE: standing pat for now

CIN: Dalton is out - who is in with Pick 1?

HOU: standing pat

TEN: Mariotta gone, Tannehill maybe gone, Rivers in?

IND: May be looking - Carr, Bridgewater, draft?

JAX: Probably pat with Minshew and big $ stuck with Foles

KC: Duh.

DEN: Standing pat with Lock, at least this year

OAK: Chuckie will dump Carr whether it's a good idea or not

LAC: Suddenly in the hunt for a QB

PHI: Standing pat

DAL: Who knows if Prescott gets too expensive - but probably ends up a franchise tagger; Dallas could burn a second rounder or later on a QB, because they don't have a screaming need with a relatively deep (underperforming) roster

NYG: Sticking with Jones

WASH: Sticking with Haskins

GB: Standing pat with Rodgers

MIN: Will unload Cousins next year, but can't do it this year

CHI: Will stick with Trubisky for one more year - but could burn a second or later on a replacement

DET: Sticking with Stafford

NO: Does Brees return? Does Bridgewater return and or take over? 

ATL: Sticking with Ryan

TB: Does Ariens stick with Winston or get Rivers/someone else?

CAR: Moving along from Cam Newton - do they stick with Kyle Allen or ?

SF: Duh.

SEA: Duh

LAR: Sticking with Goff

ARI: Sticking with Murray.

So, new faces in as many as 12 teams. It should make for an interesting first half of the 2020 season as the offenses get sloppy with new QB's on new teams, too.

Lastly, being no guru, I wonder if the pending renegotiation of the collective bargaining agreement will have any impact on who signs where and for how long, etc. Can anyone shed light on that one? 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

Rivers looked terrible with weapons galore, why would he look good anywhere else? 

Changing of the Guard happening abruptly now, Eli, Brady, Rivers, Brees, I could even see Stafford being challenged. 

As much as fans thought most teams had their QBs, I see Chargers, Raiders,  Broncos, Colts, Titans. Who knows? 

“Weapons galore?”

20 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

1) He's currently a UFA.

2) The Titans trusted him so much, he only threw 60 total passes over 3 postseason games, for 369 yards (6.2 YPA).  And a lot of those passes/yards were in garbage time against the Chiefs.

He's a dink-and-dunk passer and a very good backup.  Not a franchise guy.  

Substitute "Chargers" for "Titans" and you just described Rivers.

19 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I disagree totally, if you are going to dump him for his playoff stats then jimmy G is in the same boat.  The Titans were going exactly no where before he took over and even with limited passing in the playoffs he got some all important early td passes which allowed them to run Henry all game.

He also had good chemistry with their emerging Wr and TE.

I'd be shocked beyond belief if they let him go.

I think they're going to try to upgrade at QB. Tannerhill sucks. He's Mark Sanchez playing on the same type of team Sanchez played for.

Weird year for Rivers considering his previous one. One of his worst of his career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QBs just get old. And when they do, the decline is sharp.

Brady thought he could beat Father Time by eating plants and HGH and doing a bunch of gay stretches. It didn’t work.
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/27/2020 at 4:24 PM, joewilly12 said:

Rivers     390 completions 591 attempts 4615 yards 23 TD's 20 INT's 

Darnold 273 completions  441 attempts 3024 yards 19 TD's 13 INT's 

Chargers would kill to have a 22 year old replacement like Sam.

• Upvote 1

On 1/28/2020 at 12:51 AM, Aussie Jet said:

Bridgewater is an unrestricted free agent. There is no certainty he goes back to the Saints. He could well end up at a quarterback-needy team who see him as a better bet than a rookie, even a top 10 rookie.

If Bridgewater is smart he stays with the saints that’s the perfect place for him

15 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

QBs just get old. And when they do, the decline is sharp.

Brady thought he could beat Father Time by eating plants and HGH and doing a bunch of gay stretches. It didn’t work.

Didn’t work?  He was in the playoffs this year at 43 years old and if he goes to the right place he will be in the playoffs next year

i think we should all try some guacamole ice cream I had it and it’s good

so no one is commenting on this? Where's there's smoke …

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(from NFL Rumors)

The potential new team for Brady “that continues to get the most buzz” is the Dolphins, according to Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com. While Brady going to a team that was in a full-blown rebuild this past season wasn’t something anybody has expected, there are at least some connections. Dolphins head coach Brian Flores spent 15 seasons with Brady in New England, and there are other ex-Patriots on staff.

Florio also highlights the presence of Dolphins owner Stephen Ross’ business partner Bruce Beal. Florio writes that there has been talk of “Beal buying the team and selling a sliver of it to Brady.” One league source told Florio “that a sale to Beal is possible not long after” Miami finishes hosting the Super Bowl. All that being said, Ross himself quickly threw some cold water on all the speculation.

Responding to the report he might sell the team, Ross said “I have no interest in selling the team. Zero. Got it? People can write what they want to write. I’m going to own it until I die,” per David Wilson of The Miami Herald (Twitter link). Beal still appears to be Ross’ successor as owner, but it doesn’t sound like he’s selling anytime soon. Ross, 79, also didn’t sound overly enthused about the possibility of adding Brady.

Ross said “we’re building” and that “people are writing about it. People need something to write about,” when asked about the Brady rumors, via Armando Salguero of The Miami Herald (Twitter link). It would’ve been very entertaining to see Brady stay in the AFC East and play the Pats twice a year, but it doesn’t seem too likely as of right now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now while the writer puts it out there and then squashes the whole thing, how many times do you see a far fetched rumor that ends up becoming true?

Now before you go all nutzo with the "never will happen" comments, the partial ownership thing in a warm city would be his only incentive to go there. It is a great concept to think about because he would be completely exposed without his O-line and a system that was made for him. I would figure 1 year if this ever happened, but the Jets get to clobber him twice before he goes.  Plus he would be part of the trivia question: When Josh Rosen was cut by the Dolphins after the  2021 season after throwing less than 150 passes for them, he said "The Dolphins will regret starting 3 different QB's instead of me". Name the 3. 

Meanwhile, I still see him in LA next year after all is said and done, if not back in NE.

Just a fun thing to contemplate.