The Legendary Earl Campbell Calls Into Mad Dog's Show As "Earl In Austin"

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Haha. You actually did a great job.  I sounded out in my head what you wrote and I totally heard Cosell's voice.  Not joking that the pause and the "to THAT man" really did add the magic.

Yeah that was always awesome when Cosell did  move “....(pause) THAT MAN”.  But good catch about me missing “Qwattahback”...

Now I feel like going to YouTube to hear “Down goes Frazzah”

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

Hard to blame him, even though he probably killed Earl's career with the overuse.

Every time the subject of greatest RBs of all time comes up, We get lots of Jim Brown, a bunch of Walter and Barry, and maybe a few other whispers.  I always put Earl at the top of my list.  No knock on Jim Brown, but I believe that Earl was just as dominant in his first few seasons, and was pretty much the most perfect blend of power, speed and agility we have ever seen.  When you watch the film, you see him run away from DBs, and you also see a guy who might have been the hardest player to tackle ever.  There hasn't been a RB like him since.

I didn't see Brown play so I can't really compare them fairly, but to me, I would take Earl over anyone else, including Walter and Barry, 10 times out of 10 if I could have any of them in their prime on the Jets.  

earl was just raw power.  he's probably very close to jim brown in ability.  brown was another of those big backs who gave it as much as he got it.  sanders and payton were also very good but they were slippery.

6 hours ago, rangerous said:

that guy was a running back.  i swear bum phillips playbook was earl left, earl right.  pastorini who?  too bad he got a little burned out.

This is close to the truth. Mixed in a pass every so often to give Earl a breather and make the defense back up a bit. But the Oilers' offense was Campbell almost every down. Had he gone to a team with a more versatile offense he probably would have been almost unstoppable and own every rushing record. 

Didn't see Brown, but think Campbell was probably the scariest guy to tackle, more so than Jackson, Okoye or Herschel Walker. 

On 1/27/2020 at 8:56 PM, Integrity28 said:

This guy was a truck. Some running backs are great, some are just special to watch. Campbell, for me, is in that special category of guys I slide to the edge of my seat for every time he touches the ball... and that’s just watching old highlights. 

Sweetness, Jim Brown, Beast Mode, Eddie George and Barry Sanders are the only other guys I can think of off the cuff that I e felt like that about them. Maybe the Bus.

Also, just realizing that Bus and Beast Mode belong in that best nicknames thread.

Bo Jackson?

• Upvote 1