Jets legend Joe Namath: Giants’ Eli Manning was best Super Bowl-winning QB to play for New York

Jets legend Joe Namath: Giants’ Eli Manning was best Super Bowl-winning QB to play for New York

That comes straight from the New York Jets legend, who talked Friday to the New York Post about the retirement of Manning after 16 seasons with the New York Giants.

“I was pretty good and did some things. Eli, I marveled at. He was remarkable,” Broadway Joe told The Post right around the time Manning announced his retirement Friday morning. “I wouldn’t compare myself to Eli. He’s done far more than I ever did on the field. ... The games played. The durability. The playoffs. I remember early on he was getting some heat, he didn’t always smile much, but every player that’s ever played with Eli swears by his work ethic and his character.”

Manning made his retirement official on Friday, during a first-class press conference at the Quest Diagnostics Training Center in East Rutherford, N.J.

Current and former players and coaches, including Tom Coughlin, attended the press conference to celebrate Manning’s many accomplishments, most notably his two Super Bowl MVPs. Namath, you may remember, was the MVP of Super Bowl III when the Jets upset the Baltimore Colts, 16-7.

One thing Namath has going for him is his status as a Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee, joining the NFL’s legends in Canton, Ohio in 1985.

Manning retired with a record of 117-117, making his Hall of Fame induction anything but a slam dunk.

Manning’s departure clears the way for Daniel Jones to assume a leadership role as the Giants’ starting quarterback. General manager Dave Gettleman used the No. 6 pick in the 2019 NFL Draft on Jones, the former Duke quarterback who pushed Manning to the bench for the last time.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nj.com/giants/2020/01/jets-legend-joe-namath-giants-eli-manning-was-best-super-bowl-winning-qb-to-play-for-new-york.html%3foutputType=amp

• Upvote 2

He's not wrong.

Namath's career is as notable for what could have been as it is for what he actually accomplished.

Namath is a lot like Micky Mantle in many ways. But MM actually did put up huge numbers and won multiple championships despite injuries, not taking proper care of his body and living life in the fast lane. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

It should have been Jim Kelly.  He was better than all of them.

Tomatoes are a fruit.

Bananas are a berry.

Mountain Goats are not actually goats. 

The Buffalo Bills are not a "New York" team despite being geographically located in New York State. 1/4 of the fans who attend the home games are Canadian. 

Joe is just being humble. Eli had the longer career and played better longer but Eli was never great.  People know I feel Joe's career was overrated but he was actually great for a few years something Eli never was.  Joe's a humble guy, he's a nice guy which is something he has in common with Eli.  

What is a Hall of Famer now? Is it a guy who played a long time?” Sanders said. “It’s so skewed now. Once upon a time, a Hall of Famer was a player who changed the darn game, who made you want to reach in your pocket and pay your admission to see that guy play. That’s not a Hall of Famer anymore. Every Tom, Dick and Harry, you’re a Hall of Famer, you’re a Hall of Famer, you’re a Hall of Famer. They let everybody in this thing. It’s not exclusive anymore. And I don’t like it.”

Although Sanders didn’t want to name any specific players who he thinks have watered down the Hall of Fame, when Patrick asked him about Eli Manning, Sanders answered, “You get the point.”

• Upvote 1