Joe Douglas effect

Jet Nut

54 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The task in front of Douglas is daunting. He inherited a roster with very little blue-chip talent and no middle class after years of poor drafting.

Happy to hear he’s got respect in the biz. But this part needs to be respected by us. Rome wasn’t built in a day

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Happy to hear he’s got respect in the biz. But this part needs to be respected by us. Rome wasn’t built in a day

I'll be happy with the groundwork for growth to the roster with an influx of good, exciting, young talent. 

Thats all any of us should hope for.  Enough of the jerking around we endured with Macc, Idzik and the final run of Tanny/Rex

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I was pounding on this last Spring when the national media, ESPN, local sports talk was shredding the Jets for making the change in May.  Completely agree that Maccagnan should have been let go sooner, but there was absolutely no reason to give him "one last chance" and allow him to stay through this previous 2019 season just to see how his 2019 free agency class and draft picks did.

The Jets were smart to ignore the haters, to weather the storm of criticism and to allow Douglas to jump into the job prior to the 2019 season so that he could not only prepare his staff and instantiate his processes, but so that he'd have a front row seat to "self scout" his own team, see their strengths and weaknesses, and size up the current Jets in order to prioritize needs.

But the past is the past.  We're hearing good things so far.  It's full steam ahead fellas!  Let's hope we have the right Captain of this ship.

It happened the way it happened, what's done is done.  At least CJ saw a problem and reacted to it as opposed to waiting a whole year to avoid the backlash some fans and the twisted media spewed when he fired Macc.  Still waiting for the same treatment towards the Jags who fired their GM after the Jets fired Macc.  Crickets.

As said JD now is at an advantage in that he goes into his first draft with an entire year of roster evaluation.  Along with a better knowledge  of what all the coaches want out of their units.  

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Douglas met with each area scout individually in December, and they went over his region in depth. The staff will meet as a group in the coming weeks as they prepare for the combine next month. The coaches will also get involved in the process soon when the Jets begin narrowing their focus.

This is the key. Sounds like the last straw for Macc was last years draft, when supposedly, the coaches had zero imput on the process. Hence, when they showed the Jets "war room" the night of the draft, there was nobody there but Macc.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

This is the key. Sounds like the last straw for Macc was last years draft, when supposedly, the coaches had zero imput on the process. Hence, when they showed the Jets "war room" the night of the draft, there was nobody there but Macc.

Totally agree.

This was hinted in interviews when Macc was fired.  In the rush to call CJohnson a boob it was ignored.  Once the word got back to CJ that the "building", as he called it, had issues with Macc, that communication broke down this last year during the draft, he came to the conclusion that Macc had to go.  

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, section314 said:

Coaches should have minimal input other than to tell the gm i need these positions filled with these type of players imo.

Coaches do not scout all year and I hate the old thing where a coach watched 1/2 hour of film or goes to the combine and falls in love with a player (see rex ryan) and then the gm lets him have input.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Coaches should have minimal input other than to tell the gm i need these positions filled with these type of players imo.

Coaches do not scout all year and I hate the old thing where a coach watched 1/2 hour of film or goes to the combine and falls in love with a player (see rex ryan) and then the gm lets him have input.

Yep.  People defended Macc for the Darron Lee pick and blamed Todd Bowles instead.  Macc should have told Bowles to f**k off.  But he didn't, because he was spineless and couldn't scout for sh*t.  

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  People defended Macc for the Darron Lee pick and blamed Todd Bowles instead.  Macc should have told Bowles to f**k off.  But he didn't, because he was spineless and couldn't scout for sh*t.  

Bad example given Lee went to the Jets pretty much exactly where he and his talent level were mocked.

We have no clue that Bowles wanted Lee or anyone else at that spot.  

Coaches input should come in the way of letting their GM know what kind of unit they envision, could help determine what TYPE of player taken, if there is an option to what left on JDs board.  Not to make the pick for him, tow different things.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Bad example given Lee went to the Jets pretty much exactly where he and his talent level were mocked.

We have no clue that Bowles wanted Lee or anyone else at that spot.  

Yes, but we absolutely know Darron Lee was exactly the type of player Bowles valued in Arizona, in the mold of Deone Bucannon.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

My point was it sounded like Macc and the scouts did everything away from the coaches. When you start getting serious and are putting together your board to some degree, it would be prudent to have coaches imput as to what they see/feel about the players the team is really considering. Not that they will make the final call, but to help evaluate what they see. It makes no sense to trust coaches to scheme and gameplan all year, but not trust them to give some opinion on what they see in players you might add to your team. Actually, it shows a GM that has no confidence in his scouts and himself that he doesn't need to hear other opinions.

• Upvote 4

35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, but we absolutely know Darron Lee was exactly the type of player Bowles valued in Arizona, in the mold of Deone Bucannon.

He was mocked as the 19th or so best player.  Bowles once coached someone his size so we ignore that and go with its Bowles pick.  I get the logic but its not like he went against the chalk for a Bowles player. 

And doesn't change the fact that the pick just didnt work out.  To put it mildly.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

My point was it sounded like Macc and the scouts did everything away from the coaches. When you start getting serious and are putting together your board to some degree, it would be prudent to have coaches imput as to what they see/feel about the players the team is really considering. Not that they will make the final call, but to help evaluate what they see. It makes no sense to trust coaches to scheme and gameplan all year, but not trust them to give some opinion on what they see in players you might add to your team. Actually, it shows a GM that has no confidence in his scouts and himself that he doesn't need to hear other opinions.

Well this also goes back to the issue of hiring a coach and gm separately and often hiring the coach 1st.

I hate the new paradigm in the nfl of doing this all the time.  I much preferred the old school method of hiring a gm and then let him hire the coach.  At the very least those two will be on the same page.

Too bad I think so little of Gase as at least now the Jets have a combo that at least should be able to work together.

• Upvote 3

Well this also goes back to the issue of hiring a coach and gm separately and often hiring the coach 1st.

I hate the new paradigm in the nfl of doing this all the time.  I much preferred the old school method of hiring a gm and then let him hire the coach.  At the very least those two will be on the same page.

Too bad I think so little of Gase as at least now the Jets have a combo that at least should be able to work together.

It's because half of these spoiled brat owners think that if they are one of the 32 people/groups to join the club of owning a multi-billion dollar enterprise, they think that they should be able to meddle in any way that they want.  After all, it's their toy to play with.

They're the kind of people who were born on Third Base and think they hit a Triple.  Thus they have an over-inflated sense of their own business acumen.  

• Upvote 1

Agree 100% with you on this. I think the new way is crazy. I don't know the answer to this....Did Lynch hire Shanahan? Was Dorsey GM when they hired Andy Reid?

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

I don't know how true that is.  I thought when I read the Pepper Johnson hit piece that he said the other coaches and scouts were in on it together.  He complained about drafting Leonard Williams.  He wanted Grady Jarrett, and he was saying how the other coaches and scouts were busting his balls because they wanted length.  Maybe you are right and it is just because he disliked Rodgers more than anybody else. 

23 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I think the coaches need to have a sh*tload more input than that.  I get that you don't want them naming the players you pick, but they should have input.  More importantly, I think  that they need to tell you the kind of players they want.  Are they looking for a WR to take the top off, or someone to catch underneath routes and slants?  Are they looking for a guy to 2 gap or 1 gap?  Are they looking for scheme versatility or a specific piece to fit what they are trying to do? 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

Well put. 

And if a pick or two doesn’t pan out, the pitch forks should probably stay right where they are. It’s about how many he can hit on and the importance of the position he’s hitting on. 

We cannot nit pick. No GM gets a starter or decent player out of every single pick.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I feel like these are the same articles that come out every single time we hire a new guy.

Meh tend to agree and hate fluff pieces but this one seems a bit different being that it was universally known that he was the best candidate available with 2 rings, tons of scouting experience, tons of network connections to possible staff members and plenty of other notables.

Macc was on his way to getting fired from Houston. Only real comparison I can draw is that they said he had a scouting background.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

The glass is usually 1/2 full with me but I'm really optimistic concerning JD. Will know better once the 3rd day of the draft ends and we discuss it here. The draft is the key to building a winning team. Get the drafts right and you only need FA to fill in here or there. Rookie contracts help manage the cap as well.

I know we can't completely expect fully addressing all needs, but hopefully the main ones of Oline, WR, Edge rusher and CB can be somewhat addressed by below:

FA: 1 Guard, 1 WR, 1 CB, and maybe 1 Edge Rusher

Draft: With picks in rounds 1 and 2 an OT and WR, with the two 3rd round picks a Center and Edge rusher, and 4th/5th round picks a Guard and CB. 

6th rounder can be taking another shot at another Olineman or even another skill position like RB or TE.

If we can do above for this year I would be very happy. BTW, I am also hoping we can use the CBs we had plus the 1 FA CB I stated and just a little later in the draft puck up the CB. I also said that about Guard because we just can't expect to spend all our FA and Draft resources in 1 year on 6-7 Olineman. We have to intermix with keeping at least 3-4 we have like Beachem at LT, Lewis at LG, Harrison at C, Compton at backup for right guard, and Chuma at RT. Then between the draft and FA maybe 4 actually make the team and start or be backups at OT, C, and Guard.

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

The moment he doesnt hit on 90-100% of his draft picks or makes one mediocre FA signing he'll be ripped to shreds by the ignorant part of the fan base.  It's really sad honestly.  This is a 2-3 year project and should be viewed as so. 

You can already tell from reading the board peoples expectations about this offseason and how blown out of proportion they are.  People have mock off seasons and drafts out with us filling literally almost every hole on the team somehow lol It's not happening, hell, the offensive line probably wont be completely fixed this offseason LET ALONE THE 100 OTHER HOLES.  

People need to temper their expectations of this team an JD this offseason and next year and really realize how big of a hole this team is in and how long it will take to produce a consistent winner out of it.  2-3 years. 

• Upvote 2