Jets all in on Jack Conklin

Rhg1084

On 1/29/2020 at 8:25 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Even if its true, Conklin has to hit the open market first.  I really see no circumstance where Conklin walks.  

they gotta pay Henry and tannehill . I absolutely could see Conklin hitting the market.  Especially since they will likely have to use the tag on tannehill. 

16 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

They don't want to keep him, clearly. That's the real issue. It's a red flag.

No, I don't think that's true.  I think they wanted to keep their options open rather than locking in at $13M for Conklin.  Especially given his injury history.  He has a torn ACL on his record plus some other minor injuries.  And the 5th-year option comes with an injury guarantee:

The Titans did have the ability to pick up the option and then back out by next offseason with no dead money. However, Conklin’s recent injury history complicates that as well. If he were to get hurt in 2019 and was not able to pass a physical next offseason then the Titans would be on the hook for the $13M. 

I imagine they'll try to negotiate a new deal with Conklin once they've dealt with Derrick Henry and made a decision on Tannehill.  Meanwhile, they can create further cap space by cutting guys like Delanie Walker ($6.4M savings), Cameron Wake ($5.6M) and Dion Lewis ($4M).  

If they want Conklin back, he'll be back.  

• Post of the Week 1

On 2/3/2020 at 6:31 PM, Scoop24 said:

they gotta pay Henry and tannehill . I absolutely could see Conklin hitting the market.  Especially since they will likely have to use the tag on tannehill. 

Why would they tag Tannehill?  The QB tag for 2019 was around $25M.  They could probably sign him for around that.  The tag for RB is $11M, and OLine $14M.  If they want all three back, it makes more sense to franchise one of the other two. 

To add to my thoughts about the tagging.  RB is what you tag.  The way the Steelers did with Bell.  Tag him and ride him hard.  RBs get used up all the time.  That is who you don't want to give a huge long-term deal.

49 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I keep seeing people claim they doubt the Titans let Conklin walk...

Why?

Have you ever seen a rookie have their 5th year option not picked up only to be re-signed to a massive contract?

They don't want to keep him, clearly. That's the real issue. It's a red flag.

I think the medical scare was the only reason they didn't exercise it.  They also have an excellent swing tackle in Kelly that could pick up the slack.  Kelly is also a FA, so they have to pay someone.  They supposedly have been working to re-up Conklin, but have been haggling about the price.  He would have earned almost $13M, I think he can be had at less than that average.

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, I don't think that's true.  I think they wanted to keep their options open rather than locking in at $13M for Conklin.  Especially given his injury history.  He has a torn ACL on his record plus some other minor injuries.  And the 5th-year option comes with an injury guarantee:

I imagine they'll try to negotiate a new deal with Conklin once they've dealt with Derrick Henry and made a decision on Tannehill.  Meanwhile, they can create further cap space by cutting guys like Delanie Walker ($6.4M savings), Cameron Wake ($5.6M) and Dion Lewis ($4M).  

Delanie Walker?  That is one 86 year old I would love to have on my team. 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think the medical scare was the only reason they didn't exercise it.  They also have an excellent swing tackle in Kelly that could pick up the slack.  Kelly is also a FA, so they have to pay someone.  They supposedly have been working to re-up Conklin, but have been haggling about the price.  He would have earned almost $13M, I think he can be had at less than that average.

Fair point about the injury guarantee, I forgot about that. It still seems unlikely to me that a guy not optioned will sign a big deal with his hometown team... If he reaches UFA I don't see why the Titans would really have an advantage in signing him. The team willing to overpay will get him.

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

My guess is tannehill gets a short term deal, henry gets tagged and conklon walks

Why would they tag Tannehill?  The QB tag for 2019 was around $25M.  They could probably sign him for around that.  The tag for RB is $11M, and OLine $14M.  If they want all three back, it makes more sense to franchise one of the other two. 

Because another team will sign their QB who just got them to the AFCCG. They were losing games with Marriota. They can’t take the chance

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Looking at this draft, I am not seeing a guaranty that the Jets can draft a future all pro T or good LT. I think there is a very good chance they can get a very good starting WR in round 1 or good one in round 2.  Depending on how Epenesa does at the combine, there could be a very good 4-3 edge there. 

So if I am the Jets I am signing Beachum, Conklin, Lewis and Thuney.  If they draft an ol, Lewis goes to back up while the rookie waits for Beachum.  Pass on Robbie and Jenkins.  Cut Williamson, Winters and Roberts.  Draft WR, edge, cb and iOl.   

This way they help Darnold develop, spend on  and RB but not QB and WR, and let the coach build the defense with what is signed and drafted.  Don’t waste money on second contracts for players who don’t fit.  With next years schedule, 2021 is the Jets next playoff year. 

On 2/5/2020 at 2:35 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Yea this is what I was thinking as well. They will likely try to retain him but I think teams will get the opportunity to talk with him. If I were Conklin I definitely would want to hear all offers since the team did not have enough confidence to apply the 5th year option initially. (For understandable reasons)