Would you trade Jamal Adams for Quenton Nelson?

Would you trade Jamal Adams for Quenton Nelson, assuming similar contract $$, timeframe, etc.?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Jamal Adams for Quenton Nelson, assuming similar contract $$, timeframe, etc.?

• Yes, I would trade S Jamal Adams for OG Quenton Nelson
    • No, I would NOT trade S Jamal Adams for OG Quenton Nelson

Hypothetical, but it's the offseason....so indulge me! :D 

Similar caliber players, both All Pros, both taken 6th overall, both play what some people consider non-premium positions as neither are QBs, Edge rushers, CBs, LTs, etc.  Both are young guys and, for the sake of argument, assume that they'd cost about the same and would need to get new contracts at the same time.  In other words, don't use the fact that Nelson (drafted 2018) would be around one more year on a rookie deal versus Adams (drafted 2017).

If you would NOT trade Adams for Nelson then provide some reasoning given that Nelson would be an asset on offense, help protect the Jets most important player in Sam Darnold, and would lead the rushing attack.

If you would trade Adams for Nelson then provide your justification for giving up a difference maker at a defensive position who impacts the football and has actually scored points as compared to a guy who is just 1 of 5 OLinemen and isn't an OT or even a Center.

6 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

No.  If we were gonna trade Jamal it would have to be for a package of high picks or a high pick and a good OL 

I'd agree.  Lots of people have thrown around potential trade ideas using the Cowboys as a partner.  Most are looking for one of their top OLinemen AND a Draft pick....say someone like Zack Martin and a 3rd rounder.  I like that approach but with Martin being 29 and Nelson being 23 (and a better player IMO) wouldn't that be close to a reasonable trade?  What if it was Nelson and a 5th rounder?  Remember that the Jets would be giving up a 24 year old heading into the prime years of his career.  Martin might have 3-4 good seasons left, Nelson likely has a decade.  I'm not disagreeing, just trying to frame the things we might want to consider.

The value of the players are equal and it would definitely help the OLine.  But I wouldn't do it
because the "attraction" to trade Adams is the ability to get multiple high picks.  In this case
from a desperate DAL team,  which could be used in beefing up multiple positions 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

this question should be would you trade Quentin Nelson for Sam Darnold and 3 second round picks 

because that's what actually happened 

THAT would be interesting question for the Colts right now.

If you are Indy and you're luke warm on Jacoby Brissett after watching how he plays behind a good OLine that features guys like Quenton Nelson, Anthony Castonzo,  and has playmakers like TY Hilton and Marlon Mack.....would you trade an OG and a few 2nd round picks for a potential franchise QB?  The Colts made that trade out of the #3 spot thinking they had Andrew Luck playing for another 5 years.

2 minutes ago, KRL said:

The value of the players are equal and it would definitely help the OLine.  But I wouldn't do it
because the "attraction" to trade Adams is the ability to get multiple high picks.  In this case
from a desperate DAL team,  which could be used in beefing up multiple positions 

Do you think Dallas will still give up multiple high picks for Jamal Adams who they'd have to re-sign to a long-term extension when they have big contracts to give out to Dak Prescott and Amari Cooper this off-season?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Do you think Dallas will still give up multiple high picks for Jamal Adams who they'd have to re-sign to a long-term extension when they have big contracts to give out to Dak Prescott and Amari Cooper this off-season?

The cowboys would probably rather take a Xavier McKinney at 17 is my guess. Maybe a trade is worked out in the event he's not available?

5 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I'd have to know for sure what they were offering the first time around, but probably not. (I don't necessarily believe that we can trust that the compensation reported in the media was accurate)

Dallas is interesting because their secondary is arguably their biggest weakness. 

7 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Yes I do.  After they missed the playoffs this year I believe Jones is desperate to make a splash

40 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

No.

39 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

No.

36 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

No.  If we were gonna trade Jamal it would have to be for a package of high picks or a high pick and a good OL 

Lot's of vocal supporters for Jamal.  That makes sense.

But currently its 11-6 in favor of making a trade like this.  That tells me there's a lot of Jamal supporters who quietly agree a Pro Bowl G >>> Pro Bowl SS.  

22 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

THAT would be interesting question for the Colts right now.

If you are Indy and you're luke warm on Jacoby Brissett after watching how he plays behind a good OLine that features guys like Quenton Nelson, Anthony Castonzo,  and has playmakers like TY Hilton and Marlon Mack.....would you trade an OG and a few 2nd round picks for a potential franchise QB?  The Colts made that trade out of the #3 spot thinking they had Andrew Luck playing for another 5 years.

The Jets pick 11

There are 3 teams (in this range) who need QB Las Vegas (Oak) @12, IND@13 and TB@14 

I'm usually dead against trade downs but assuming Burrow, Herbert and perhaps even Tua off the board, Jordan Love could be on the board at 11 and multiple teams reportedly love the dude.  LV is his floor at 12. 

Jets could pry an extra 3rd or 4th to move 2 or 3 spots and take Josh Jones the player they wanted anyway.  

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Lot's of vocal supporters for Jamal.  That makes sense.

But currently its 11-6 in favor of making a trade like this.  That tells me there's a lot of Jamal supporters who quietly agree a Pro Bowl G >>> Pro Bowl SS.  

I’m not a big Adams fan by any means but I feel if you are gonna trade him it has to be for a big package instead of just a one for one.  Yes Nelson is proven but I’d rather have the picks or at least a good pick and a proven player 

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The Jets pick 11

There are 3 teams (in this range) who need QB Las Vegas (Oak) @12, IND@13 and TB@14 

I'm usually dead against trade downs but assuming Burrow, Herbert and perhaps even Tua off the board, Jordan Love could be on the board at 11 and multiple teams reportedly love the dude.  LV is his floor at 12. 

Jets could pry an extra 3rd or 4th to move 2 or 3 spots and take Josh Jones the player they wanted anyway.  

Those Josh Jones rumors don't seem to have a ton of bite.  Not sure what you're hearing put I'm putting them in the same category as the trade-up in Round 2 for Prince Wanogho.

29 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I'd have to know for sure what they were offering the first time around, but probably not. (I don't necessarily believe that we can trust that the compensation reported in the media was accurate)

Dallas is interesting because their secondary is arguably their biggest weakness. 

The other interesting thing is that outside of Adams the Jets secondary is arguably a very big weakness.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I’m not a big Adams fan by any means but I feel if you are gonna trade him it has to be for a big package instead of just a one for one.  Yes Nelson is proven but I’d rather have the picks or at least a good pick and a proven player 

Nelson might well be the best G in the league.  I'll take a proven product in that instance.  Especially since the only teams looking to acquire Jamal will likely be ones with mid-late first rounders.  Nelson >>> a mid-late 1st + a significantly lesser talent.

Not to mention its never been more difficult to evaluate OL prospects.  When you find a sure thing, that player's stock skyrockets.

Just now, jetstream23 said:

Those Josh Jones rumors don't seem to have a ton of bite.  Not sure what you're hearing put I'm putting them in the same category as the trade-up in Round 2 for Prince Wanogho.

Prince failed some sort of medical at weigh ins 

all rumors aside Josh Jones feels like exactly the type of LT they want for this offense 

Just now, jvill 51 said:

Maybe i missed something but what are you basing this on?

Im not basing it on any rumor per se

just the fit of Jones in Gase zone heavy scheme. He likes tall long players who are agile and can pass protect 

Wirfs is awesome

Wills and Thomas are more mauler types 

Jones probably fits this offense the best (but whether he's worth 11 is another discussion entirely) 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Im not basing it on any rumor per se

just the fit of Jones in Gase zone heavy scheme. He likes tall long players who are agile and can pass protect 

Wirfs is awesome

Wills and Thomas are more mauler types 

Jones probably fits this offense the best (but whether he's worth 11 is another discussion entirely) 

Gotcha, thought you might have heard something.

I went with yes,  because I really thought adding a guy like Alan Faneca 10+ years ago really made a difference.  And, we'd be getting this guy for likely a decade instead of a couple of years.  If  you think the QB is going to be your FQB, then OL is everything at the moment.  Time to throw makes mediocre WR's look awesome.  JMO.

• Upvote 3