Jets begin contract extension talks with Jamal Adams

Rhg1084

Jamal Adams says Jets have discussed contract extension Jamal Adams of the New York Jets reacts

Jamal Adams of the New York Jets reacts after defeating the Oakland Raiders at MetLife Stadium on Nov. 24, 2019. Credit: Jim McIsaac

By Al Iannazzone al.iannazzone@newsday.com January 29, 2020 3:53 PM

MIAMI BEACH – The Jets have begun contract talks with Jamal Adams' representatives, the third-year safety said Wednesday.

Adams sounded extremely confident that he will sign an extension with the Jets this offseason.

“They’ve talked about it. No numbers yet,” Adams said after appearing on Radio Row. “I’d be lying if I said I don’t expect to be extended. I do. Not for what I’ve just done on the field but even off the field for what I’ve done for the organization. I’ve done everything they’ve asked me to do. I’ve done it at a high level each and every year.”

Adams, the No. 6 pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, is eligible for an extension now, and the belief was always that the Jets would do everything they could to make sure they locked him up long term. Adams has made the Pro Bowl the last two years, and was named First-Team All-Pro for the first time following this season.

Although general manager Joe Douglas listened to trade offers for Adams this past season, he said he was never close to moving Adams. Team CEO and acting owner Christopher Johnson said he would like to see Adams spend the rest of his career in a Jets uniform.

Adams has professed his love for being a Jet many times. Now the two sides will just have to agree on a deal.  

“I’ve proven that I’m the best safety doing it right now,” Adams said. “I’m not trying to be paid just to be the highest paid whatever. I’m trying to get paid for my status and what I’ve done. That’s what I’m about right now.”

The Bears set the market for safeties when they signed Eddie Jackson to a four-year, $58-million contract earlier this month. That made him the highest-paid safety. Adams likely will seek more than that.

"I seen it,” Adams said. “I’m happy for him. I told him after the Pro Bowl he deserved it. Like I said, I’m not competing to be the highest paid safety. I’m competing within myself to get what I’m worth, my status. That’s what I’m about.”

Adams, who was promoting a New Era cap commemorating the 100-year anniversary of the NFL, proved this season he is someone who should be a cornerstone player for the Jets.

He became a dominant force in defensive coordinator Gregg Williams’ system. Adams set a franchise record for defensive backs with 6.5 sacks and finished second on the Jets with 75 tackles despite missing two games with an ankle injury. But it’s clear Adams needs help and can’t do it alone.

Adams, who helped recruit players last year including Le’Veon Bell, said he would be active again to get the Jets more difference-makers. The Jets haven’t made the playoffs for nine consecutive seasons.

“You got to realize that you can only recruit so much,” Adams said. “At the end of the day I don’t have too much say so into it. That’s not really my job. Obviously, we got to bring some big names in to help us get over the hump. But the main thing is we got to stay healthy.”

The Jets were decimated by injuries last season. They started 1-7, and finished 7-9 with a strong push at the end of the season. The main loss was linebacker C.J. Mosley, who played in only two games, because a groin injury. Quarterback Sam Darnold also missed three games with mono.

Adams said if the Jets can stay healthy and add some playmakers, they could challenge for the playoffs next year.

“Mainly staying healthy, jelling together and understanding that we got to bring in some players to fix these holes that we do have,” Adams said. “We got to put the team together. I think Joe Douglas is going to do a hell of a job with that. I have a ton of respect for him. We’ll see where we go.”

https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/jamal-adams-contract-talks-1.41202336

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, RedBeardedSavage said:

Might be the unpopular opinion - but I’m happy to re-sign Jamal for big money. He’s a damn good player that has improved every season and clearly cares about winning. 

All 16 of 'em!

If he cares that much about winning, maybe he'll accept less than top Safety money.  

***snorts***

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

The Jets have begun contract talks with Jamal Adams' representatives, the third-year safety said Wednesday.

Adams sounded extremely confident that he will sign an extension with the Jets this offseason.

“They’ve talked about it. No numbers yet,” Adams said after appearing on Radio Row. “I’d be lying if I said I don’t expect to be extended. I do. Not for what I’ve just done on the field but even off the field for what I’ve done for the organization. I’ve done everything they’ve asked me to do. I’ve done it at a high level each and every year.”

Lol there’s that pat on the back I was looking for.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

All 16 of 'em!

If he cares that much about winning, maybe he'll accept less than top Safety money.  

***snorts***

It’s a brutal sport. Get paid while you can because your life will be shorter and your career could end at any moment. 

The whole take less money to be on a winner I think applies more to other sports or to a player that’s already on a great team within their window to win the big one. 

Just one man’s opinion

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

“I’ve proven that I’m the best safety doing it right now,” Adams said. “I’m not trying to be paid just to be the highest paid whatever. I’m trying to get paid for my status and what I’ve done. That’s what I’m about right now.”

lolwut

Translation: Hes trying to be paid to be the highest paid whatever.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

I have no problem if Adams is here long term, he's an excellent player.  His extension
shouldn't be executed until after the free agency period though.  We need as much financial
flexibility as possible

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

23 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

We got to put the team together. I think Joe Douglas is going to do a hell of a job with that. I have a ton of respect for him. We’ll see where we go.”

Lol oh how the tone has changed from his Twitter temper tantrum. All Joe had to do was talk to his agent about an extension and now he’s no longer the back stabbing deceitful animal he was a month or two ago.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Trade his ass wtf are we doing!?!?!!! Our offense has more holes than a golf course and we’re gonna make him the highest paid safety in the league!?!?!?!! 

For what it's worth, it never sounded to me like Jamal was getting traded. 

Douglas and Gase have gone out of their way to make it sound like they want him to be here long term. They could obviously just be hyping up his trade value, but I feel like I can usually read between the lines in those situations and I genuinely have never gotten the impression they are looking to trade him. 

I also question how many suitors he would even have this off-season. SS is nowhere near a premium position and there are some good safeties in this draft. 

39 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Revis 2.0

As predicted, it has already begun and he hasn't even asked for a number yet. 

"Jamal Adams the heart of the defense" soon to become "Jamoney Adam$ the money grubbing greed pig" on a message board near you. All his defenders going to turn on a dime when he wants to be paid commensurate with how they've built him up.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

A lot of us who oppose Adams and an extension aren’t even actually mad. We recognize he’s a good player...just not what we want or agree with.

It's all about positional value. 

Jamal is an awesome player who plays a relatively unimportant position. So, giving him a giant contract doesn't sit well with a lot of folks. 

I think we are in a tough spot, because Jamal is a popular player in the locker-room and in the media. There will be considerable pressure from both the inside and outside of the organization to sign him long term. 

• Upvote 2