Jets begin contract extension talks with Jamal Adams

Rhg1084

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

A lot of us who oppose Adams and an extension aren’t even actually mad. We recognize he’s a good player...just not what we want or agree with.

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

It's all about positional value. 

Jamal is an awesome player who plays a relatively unimportant position. So, giving him a giant contract doesn't sit well with a lot of folks. 

I think we are in a tough spot, because Jamal is a popular player in the locker-room and in the media. There will be considerable pressure from both the inside and outside of the organization to sign him long term. 

Nothing left to do here. Those who love him will hate him when he gets paid. Jamal will have few defenders in 2020 as Jets stare down barrel of another 6 or 7 win season.

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Slow down, nothing has been signed yet.  My guess is Douglas is going to make him a fair offer, Adams is going to rebuff him, and then we'll either be off and running towards:  1) A trade, 2) a holdout, and/or 3) An endgame where Adams ends up walking as a free agent at the end of his deal.  

Of course I could be wrong here, and JD could be a total dumbass who thinks you pay a SS $15M+ per season.  We'll see.  But either way it's not likely Adams was going to be willing to play for "just" $7M next season without causing some trouble.  

I’d want Adams here if we had any sort of talent on offense besides Crowder, Sam and Bell. Unfortunately we literally have like 8 positions on offense that could be upgraded and after resigning people (besides Adams) we’re gonna be low on cap as it is. Definitely going to be interesting to see how it unfolds 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Nothing left to do here. Those who love him will hate him when he gets paid. Jamal will have few defenders in 2021 as Jets stare down barrel of another 6 or 7 win season.

I don’t like that they’re going to eat cap like this when we need every tiny bit for the offers we extend to FA offensive lineman, corner, edge or weapons... and Jamal is saying he wants us to “sign some big names” like his contract wouldn’t impede on that very direction lol. Just a really weird situation to be in.

I’m definitely not going sharpen my pitch forks over this and go full idiot though. I just wish we had another year before we had to make this decision...wait we do but Adams wants his money now. 

Lol smh.

• Sympathy 1

Conflicted. Do not think safeties, generational talents excluded e.g. Ed Reed, are worth the investment that they see at the top. However, IF you are going to pay someone, guys who have work ethics to be great, like Jamal, are the ones I have less fear of paying. Only thing worse than paying a safety quarterback money, is paying a safety quarterback money who stops trying. 

5 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I'm happy to pay him. He's an excellent player and the heart and soul of the team.

We need to stop trading away star players rather than paying them.

Give him the $15M a year it will take to make him the highest paid Safety in the NFL.

Self declared heart and soul of the team.  There are about a half dozen other positions that are far more important than even the best ss in the league.  If signing him impedes any of those it is a bad move.

I also see some back tracking already in his next post (oh we have had prelim discussions - his agent probably phoned douglas and douglas said 'we'll talk about it sometime this off season.' and setting the jets up to be the bad guys no matter what.

This guy is a phonier than a 2 dollar bill.

• Upvote 3

Still see what the top offer is, if Douglas is able to do so under the radar, but I expect it'll fall short of what people were holding their noses at.

The cap room he'll eat up isn't the greatest resource allocation, but he's a top player. Ultimately what it means is every year Douglas can have one less mid-level FA screw-up (or 1-2 more starter hits in the draft than we were banking on). He does that in these upcoming 2 drafts, then we wouldn't even feel him making $10MM more than he currently does.

I still thought it was asinine use of the #6 overall pick for a team so desperate for a QB, only made even worse in hindsight by seeing how Watson and especially Mahomes have panned out, but that's not the situation Douglas is in today. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Trade his ass wtf are we doing!?!?!!! Our offense has more holes than a golf course and we’re gonna make him the highest paid safety in the league!?!?!?!! 

No.

We're going to make him the highest paid defensive player in the NFL.

Totally different.

26 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I don’t like that they’re going to eat cap like this when we need every tiny bit for the offers we extend to FA offensive lineman, corner, edge or weapons... and Jamal is saying he wants us to “sign some big names” like his contract wouldn’t impede on that very direction lol. Just a really weird situation to be in.

I’m definitely not going sharpen my pitch forks over this and go full idiot though. I just wish we had another year before we had to make this decision...wait we do but Adams wants his money now. 

Lol smh.

I also wish elite players would play for my team for peanuts.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

A lot of us who oppose Adams and an extension aren’t even actually mad. We recognize he’s a good player...just not what we want or agree with.

This.

If we were say, 8th in Offense and 11th in Defense in 2019, with a great O-line and at least two very good WR's......sure, keep Adams.  He is a good Strong Safety, no one (except Tom Shane) denies that.

A reminder:  We were the 32nd ranked Offense in the NFL in 2019.  The worst in the league.  We sucked.  Pathetic.  Mocked around the league.  Worst of all.....Uncompetative. 

In an offense-driven era, we are the worst offense, and have been for years.  

Keep that in mind when you hear folks pleading to use our available assets to rebuild the Offense.  

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Slow down, nothing has been signed yet.  My guess is Douglas is going to make him a fair offer, Adams is going to rebuff him, and then we'll either be off and running towards:  1) A trade, 2) a holdout, and/or 3) An endgame where Adams ends up walking as a free agent at the end of his deal.  

Of course I could be wrong here, and JD could be a total dumbass who thinks you pay a SS $15M+ per season.  We'll see.  But either way it's not likely Adams was going to be willing to play for "just" $7M next season without causing some trouble.  

too bad jerry stiller GIF

While it'll be a lot for a safety, we weren't likely to just let him walk into free agency in 2022, plus presume we weren't going to get a blockbuster offer now that'd turn his $15MM+/year extension into a high-end FA (even if it's a safety) plus 2 additional cheap starters from the draft. If that happens, somehow, he still has to take it.

At least Douglas is not making things worse by waiting another year, then the 5th year option, then franchise tagging him to start the 2022 offseason, and then extending him anyway some weeks/months later (like you know who). This way Adams gets paid more now, but the Jets get him extended with 2 fewer years of cap inflation, plus the ability to spread his signing bonus over additional years (though that's probably hampered a bit by the CBA expiring).

It's definitely an anti-Maccagnan move; in 5 offseasons I can't recall one time he extended a player until after the final game under his prior contract.

Remember when JJ Watt got that huge deal? It was a $16MM/year extension but his cap number never reached $16MM even as the league's cap rose steadily. Now imagine how much he'd have been if Houston waited 2 more years - 2 more probowls, 2 more 1st team all-pro votes, 2 more AP DPOTY awards, and 38 more sacks - by tagging and extending him the same way Macc did with Mo (who got a contract extension at even more per year than Watt). 

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A first round pick with essentially two years left on his deal- I don’t see holding out as a realistic option. Only bc he’s a safety.

47 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I get it and respect this point of view.

He’s a talented player and he’s ours.

Pay him, and hope that JD can make it cap friendly...that’s what we should be worried about. How will this extension affect the team’s cap space.

Great news.  No brainer.  Ofcourse you're going to pay your best player and the heart and soul of your team. 

The best part about it?  Signing Jamal Adams before the end of his deal!!!  Something Big Mac was immune too.  And his contract wont hold the Jets back from doing more in FA and obviously in the draft.  It's great to finally have an awesome Football player on the Jets.  So few and far between over the years.  Happy for the Pres.  I want him to be here when the Jets start making moves toward owning the AFCE.

He's ride or die Jets and I'm ride or die with the Pres.

Lets do this! 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

While it'll be a lot for a safety, we weren't likely to just let him walk into free agency in 2022, plus presume we weren't going to get a blockbuster offer now that'd turn his $15MM+/year extension into a high-end FA (even if it's a safety) plus 2 additional cheap starters from the draft. If that happens, somehow, he still has to take it.

At least Douglas is not making things worse by waiting another year, then the 5th year option, then franchise tagging him to start the 2022 offseason, and then extending him anyway some weeks/months later (like you know who). This way Adams gets paid more now, but the Jets get him extended with 2 fewer years of cap inflation, plus the ability to spread his signing bonus over additional years (though that's probably hampered a bit by the CBA expiring).

It's definitely an anti-Maccagnan move; in 5 offseasons I can't recall one time he extended a player until after the final game under his prior contract.

Remember when JJ Watt got that huge deal? It was a $16MM/year extension but his cap number never reached $16MM even as the league's cap rose steadily. Now imagine how much he'd have been if Houston waited 2 more years - 2 more probowls, 2 more 1st team all-pro votes, 2 more AP DPOTY awards, and 38 more sacks - by tagging and extending him the same way Macc did with Mo (who got a contract extension at even more per year than Watt). 

Yep!  Last thing you need is to sit on this, Jamal has another All-pro season, adds a few more takeaways, sacks and TD's and puts up a DPOY type performance....then what?  Do it now, when there is nobody else to pay, Sam is on his rookie deal and you still have plenty of cash to buy some OL this offseason and/or pay Robby if you'd like.  

I really dont see a downside to locking up one of the best players in the NFL.

• Upvote 1

People saying he doesn’t play an important position or doesn’t impact the game. Really?

What about Ed Reed? Sean Taylor? Troy Polamalu? 

Jamal has improved every year he’s been here. If he starts forcing turnovers like those guys mentioned..watch out. 

Give me Jamal Adams all day long..and go figure..he actually WANTS to be a Jet. We’re such a starved fan base that we can’t even enjoy a top tier ALL PRO player coming into his prime that was actually drafted by us without bitching about his pay..or mocking that he’s a leader.

We need 52 more Jamal Adams. Some of you have lost your minds. 

3 minutes ago, InstantClassic said:

People saying he doesn’t play an important position or doesn’t impact the game. Really?

Jamal has improved every year he’s been here. If he starts forcing turnovers like those guys mentioned..watch out. 

Give me Jamal Adams all day long..and go figure..he actually WANTS to be a Jet. We’re such a starved fan base that we can’t even enjoy a top tier ALL PRO player coming into his prime that was actually drafted by us without bitching about his pay..or mocking that he’s a leader.

I just said a simple fact about our best player - "he's one of the best players in the league". Literally not a single person with half a brain that watches Football would argue that.  The only smooth brains that do?  Jets fans.

Bro, this fanbase is straight up nutty.  We really deserve how bad we've been.  Legit. 

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Dear Lord, you really WERE serious.

giphy.gif&key=77181f5775b7728b3042f24aed

If you tried to tell a single player, coach or GM that Jamal Adams isnt one of the best players in the league, this gif would be their exact response.  You'd be laughed out of the room and told to never share a Football opinion again.

Thats how stupid you look right now. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, InstantClassic said:

The players you listed created turnovers and were game changers, Adams is not.  He has 2 ints in three years.

So now we have seen Ed Reed, Polamalu, Taylor, Tom Brady, Aaron Donald (last two from jamal himself)

Totally ridiculous.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I just said a simple fact about our best player - "he's one of the best players in the league". Literally not a single person with half a brain that watches Football would argue that. 

Great, so by all means, link us some articles written outside the New York bubble, naming Jamal Adams as "one of the best players in the NFL".

Best strong safeties, sure.

Best players?  Lol, not even close.  But hey, if you can support it with some objective writing, by all means do so.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1