Jets begin contract extension talks with Jamal Adams

Rhg1084

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

I just said a simple fact about our best player - "he's one of the best players in the league". Literally not a single person with half a brain that watches Football would argue that.  The only smooth brains that do?  Jets fans.

Bro, this fanbase is straight up nutty.  We really deserve how bad we've been.  Legit. 

How big is your list for 'among the best'?

The best SS in the league is less important than the 32nd LT in the league or Wr, or CB or pass rusher.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

If you tried to tell a single player, coach or GM that Jamal Adams isnt one of the best players in the league, this gif would be their exact response.  You'd be laughed out of the room and told to never share a Football opinion again.

Thats how stupid you look right now. 

Lol, whatever you say dude.  No wonder Jets Fans are held in such low regard outside the NY/NJ bubble.  Wow.

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The best SS in the league is less important than the 32nd LT in the league or Wr, or CB or pass rusher.

Pretty sure if you're the best at your position, your one of the best players in the league.  Pretty sure when you make an All-Pro team, you're recognized as one of the best players in the league. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Lol, whatever you say dude.  No wonder Jets Fans are held in such low regard outside the NY/NJ bubble.  Wow.

You're right.  It is exactly what I said.  You'd be laughed out the room for sounding like a total moron and told to never open your mouth again for saying something so stupid.  My location has nothing to do with you sounding like a total moron. 

• Upvote 1

Jamal Adams expects Jets to deliver with extension talks beginning

By Brian Costello

January 29, 2020 | 4:07pm

MIAMI — The Jets and the representatives for All-Pro safety Jamal Adams have begun talks on a contract extension.

That is what Adams said here at Super Bowl 2020 on Wednesday.

“They’ve talked about it, no numbers yet,” Adams told two New York reporters. “I’d be lying if I said I don’t expect to be extended. I do because of not for what I’ve just done on the field, but even off the field for what I’ve done for the organization. I’ve done everything they’ve asked me to do. I’ve done it at a high level each and every year. I’ve proven that I’m the best safety doing it right now.”

Adams was named first-team All-Pro this season for the first time and was selected for his second Pro Bowl. The 24-year-old is eligible for a contract extension after completing his third season. It is understandable why he would be looking for a raise. He is set to earn $3.5 million in 2020, far below what the top safeties in the league are getting.

“I’m not trying to be paid just to be the highest-paid whatever,” Adams said. “I’m trying to get paid for my status and what I’ve done. That’s what I’m about.”

The Bears set the market for safeties earlier this month when they signed Eddie Jackson to a four-year, $58.4 million contract with $33 million guaranteed. The $14.6 average per year is a new high for safeties. The highest total contract for a safety is Landon Collins’ deal with the Redskins ($84 million over six years).

“I’m happy for him,” Adams said of the Jackson deal. “I told him after the Pro Bowl he deserved it. Like I said, I’m not competing to be the highest-paid safety. I’m competing within myself to get what I’m worth, my status. That’s what I’m about.”

Adams is at the Super Bowl promoting New Era NFL 100 hats that have their bills made out of footballs.

jamal adams jets contract extension Joseph E. Amaturo

The Jets had talks about trading Adams in October at the deadline, but did not make a deal. Adams was upset at the time that the team had considered trading him. Adams’ play jumped after the deadline as he became a force blitzing in Gregg Williams’ defense. He had two sacks against the Giants in November and stripped the ball from quarterback Daniel Jones to return for a touchdown. The following week he had three sacks against the Redskins. He had 6 ½ sacks in all.

The Jets have not had a winning season since drafting Adams No. 6 overall in 2017. They finished 7-9 this year after going 6-2 in the second half of the season, something Adams said is nice but not satisfying.

“Obviously, to me, we didn’t win,” Adams said. “We didn’t give ourselves a chance in the playoffs and that’s the ultimate goal. For me, it wasn’t successful. I’m not going to even sit here and tell you it was. Yeah, we played better toward the end and finished strong. But that’s not what it’s about. It’s about winning ballgames.”

Last year, Adams recruited free agents to come to the Jets, including running back Le’Veon Bell. This year, he is leaving it up to general manager Joe Douglas to improve the team.

“You’ve got to realize you can only recruit so much,” Adams said. “At the end of the day I don’t have too much say-so into it. That’s not really my job. But obviously I want to bring players in. We’ve got to bring some big names in to help us get over the hump, but the main thing is staying healthy.”

Adams said he is confident that Douglas can fix the roster, and then they need to avoid the injuries that plagued last season.

“One is mainly staying healthy, jelling together and understanding that we’ve got to bring in some players to fix these holes that we do have,” Adams said. “We’ve got to put the team together. I think Joe Douglas is going to do a hell of a job with that. I have a ton of respect for him and we’ll see where we go.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/01/29/jamal-adams-aiming-for-status-as-jets-embark-on-extension-talks/amp/

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Now that is a take.

If the Bears offered Charles Leno Jr tomorrow for Jamal Adams, you are accepting?

• Haha 3

Honestly don’t understand the hate for this dude.  He plays hard, does what he can to help the team.  Is he a shutdown corner?  No.  He is what he is and happens to be the best player on the team.  Do the good teams constantly talk about trading their best players? No.  They sign them long term and build WITH them.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Now that is a take.

If the Bears offered Charles Leno Jr tomorrow for Jamal Adams, you are accepting?

LT are more important than SS

CB are more important than SS

Legit Pass Rushers are more important than SS

Wr weapons are more important, TE weapons are more important, C or OG are more important

Qb of course is more important.

SS is perhaps more important than ILB or run stopping DTS

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Wr weapons are more important, TE weapons are more important, C or OG are more important

Ok.  I agree with some of that.  Not all of it.  But that's not what you said before. 

You said the league worse starter at a group of those positions is more valuable to a team than the Best Strong Safety in the league.  Do you legitimately believe that?

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

But you said you’d rather the WORST of those positions than the BEST SS.  That’s a terrible take.

YEAH BABY!!!! I am so happy to see this. JD is intelligent beyond his years for doing this also. Jamal Adams is a franchise player. He makes an entire team. He has the kind of impact on the Jets that Darelle Revis did once upon a time. I'm thinking they'll get Adams locked up long term for approximately the same price as Eddie Jackson. I figure Adams will give the Jets a smidge of a discount because they're plan is to tear up his rookie contract. He's clearly outplayed it and the Jets know it. Number 33 is going to someday PERMANENTLY belong to Jamal Adams!!!!

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

You're right.  It is exactly what I said.  You'd be laughed out the room for sounding like a total moron and told to never open your mouth again for saying something so stupid.  My location has nothing to do with you sounding like a total moron.

Little bit butthurt, eh? ?  Your overcompensation for the weakness of your position ("moron, moron, moron.....") is obvious.

Be assured mate, no one outside of the bubble would put Adams anywhere near the top 50 players in the NFL today.  And no, being the best Stroing Safety doesn't, in fact, make you one of the best in the league, it just makes you the best Safety,  The best Kicker isn't one of the best players in the league either, even if he's an All-Pro.

Re-Draft the NFL today, Adams isn't picked in the top 100, maybe not even the top 200.  I guarantee it. If being the 201'st best player in the NFL makes him "among the leagues best players", ok.  Lol, like I said, whatever you say.  

You should be happy, sounds like we're going to pay him very handsomely, and a year early to boot.  Everything you wanted, right?  Enjoy your moment.  Don't worry about me.....at least until you have to defend yet another 32nd ranked offense down the road with "well, at least Adams had 3 sacks and almost an INT this year too, tho", lol.

• Thumb Down 1