Jets begin contract extension talks with Jamal Adams

Rhg1084

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

This was a given.  And in the long run will be a big mistake. 

This might also be a nice move by Douglas in finding out what he wants and then trying to deal him if he asks for too much.

What you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that even vaguely resembled a rational thought. Everyone on this forum is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you NO points and may God have mercy on your soul.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, slats said:

These preliminary talks will give Joe Douglas a very good idea of what Jamal wants in a new contract when he's shopping him at the combine. 

^^^ This thought should give the victory lap folks pause.  Until Jamal signs the dotted line these articles/tweets mean very little.  

1 hour ago, heymangold said:

Honestly don’t understand the hate for this dude.  

How about when he threw a hissy fit because we did NOT trade him to the Cowboys?  This after he texted Ryan Clark around the deadline that he'd love to play for Dallas.  

Let's see how much people like Jamal when he starts making Revis-esque contract demands.  

26 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Extend Marcus Maye while you’re at it JD.  I mean it.  He’s going into a contract year in 2020 and is underpaid at about $2 mill.  Extend him now giving security but getting a discount on giving him another 3-4 years at what will be his below market rate if he were to complete 2020 and hit FA.  

Marcus is damn good and we didn’t hear much about him this year because he was so damn good.  Made a million game saving tackles where he took great angles and was the last line of defense which is his job.

BEST SAFETY TANDEM IN THE LEAGUE HELL F**KIN YEAH

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

How about when he threw a hissy fit because we did NOT trade him to the Cowboys?  This after he texted Ryan Clark around the deadline that he'd love to play for Dallas.  

Let's see how much people like Jamal when he starts making Revis-esque contract demands.  

Jamal Adams played lights out football all season long if more NY Jets played like he does every down every play we would be discussing this Sundays Super Bowl and the NY Jets being in it. 

STOP THE HATE

16 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Revis to Tampa probably. As well as 

-Abe

-Keyshawn

but then we also often simply cut Pro Bowlers like Demario Davis, James Farrior, and Terrance Mathis

Don't forget John Riggins the diesel back in the day.

Younger fans are a little more interested in individual players than the overarching longterm process it takes to build a team....so it's understandable they'd want Adams back at all costs. Adams has done a phenomenal job selling himself and connecting with that portion of the fanbase. He's certainly social media savvy and the Jets business side cares deeply about that type of stuff (too much I've heard- and with replacing Glatt in house dont expect much of a shift there). Adams is the PR face of the Jets and the only one with a national following. 

Anyways, Adams, while a good player...you'd certainly need to do an honest assessment to determine if he's worth giving a massive contract to. A strong safety who isnt particularly strong in pass coverage can only make so much of an impact. The Jets are in dire need of talent at a lot more important positions.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

What you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that even vaguely resembled a rational thought. Everyone on this forum is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you NO points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Every time you post one of your little rants it affirms my comments on the matter at hand.  I don't think I've seen even one good or even mediocre post by you on the subject of the NY Jets.

17 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Revis to Tampa probably. As well as 

-Abe

-Keyshawn

but then we also often simply cut Pro Bowlers like Demario Davis, James Farrior, and Terrance Mathis

Ah yes, Revis.  Fair enough.  

But that trade actually worked out pretty well, other than a past-his-prime Darrelle later signing with NE and riding Brady's coattails to a ring.  We used that pick on Sheldon Richardson, who of course was a pretty dominant force for a while.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Every time you post one of your little rants it affirms my comments on the matter at hand.  I don't think I've seen even one good or even mediocre post by you on the subject of the NY Jets.

Panties in a bunch?

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

As I noted in my post, we need high picks to revamp the OL.  Unless of course you want it to take 2-3 drafts to do that.  

It would have anyway. Your delusional if you thought JD was going to fix the OL in one off-season. JD will probably get 3 new players for the OL by opening day 2020 using both FA and the draft.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ed Reed had 64 career INTs and 7 TDs.

Sean Taylor had 12 INTs and 8 FFs in his 4-year career.  

Troy Polamalu had 32 career INTs, 12 sacks, 56 TFLs and 14 FFs.

Just stop.  

Jamal just completed year 3. And everyone mentioned had help up front. Pressure on the QB. Top tier defenses.

Jamal is in that mold. He plays fast and makes plays all over the field. He was on pace to break the DB sack record before he got hurt. He’s an All-Pro. Enjoy him. We don’t get them very often. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, InstantClassic said:

Jamal just completed year 3. And everyone mentioned had help up front. Pressure on the QB. Top tier defenses.

Jamal is in that mold. He plays fast and makes plays all over the field. He was on pace to break the DB sack record before he got hurt. He’s an All-Pro. Enjoy him. We don’t get them very often. 

Totes.  He's Ed Reed.  

51 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

AND he's straight up worth every penny.

Great, wake me when he leads us to a Super Bowl (instead of the Toilet Bowl this franchise has been in since he was drafted).

Like I said, if folks were REALLY excited about long-term, highest-paid-defender-in-NFL type deals for Adams, they wouldn't care what I think.  At all.  They'd be far too busy celebrating.

12 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

"We can get by with a Rontez Miles type."

A step up from Miles, sure.  There are plenty of decent FA S's out there this offseason, if needed.

Rodney McLeod, Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix, Tre Boston, Anthony Harris, Justin Simmons, Vonn Bell, Karl Joseph, Jimmie Ward, Tavon Wilson, etc.

And of course we still have Marcus Maye.  

Maye + FA at Safety + picks/players to rebuild OL + cap space saved by not signing Jamal ($15M+ per season) >>>  Jamal + Maye + current picks  

• Upvote 2