Jets begin contract extension talks with Jamal Adams

Rhg1084

i don't why all the adams negativity.  he's arguably the best player at his position and should be paid like he is.  i know many will say his position is easy to fill but maybe it isn't quite so easy.  and like others have said, the jets will find out if they can afford him in their plans or if they need to opt away.  the problem there is once they've determined they can't afford his services then his trade value becomes that much less.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A step up from Miles, sure.  There are plenty of decent FA S's out there this offseason, if needed.

Rodney McLeod, Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix, Tre Boston, Anthony Harris, Justin Simmons, Vonn Bell, Karl Joseph, Jimmie Ward, Tavon Wilson, etc.

And of course we still have Marcus Maye.  

Maye + FA at Safety + picks/players to rebuild OL + cap space saved by not signing Jamal ($15M+ per season) >>>  Jamal + Maye + current picks  

Justin Simmons had 94 tackles and four picks. No hot dance moves, though, and no public meltdown at the trade deadline so he's probably not very good.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Very interested to find out what a contract with no numbers looks like.

I'd imagine this is something his agent is telling him, but has no basis in fact. As in, Jamal asks him if he's getting paid this off-season and his agent says something like, "oh hell yeah," and Jamal just kinda buys it because he seems fairly childlike and dim. 

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Great, wake me when he leads us to a Super Bowl (instead of the Toilet Bowl this franchise has been in since he was drafted).

Like I said, if folks were REALLY excited about long-term, highest-paid-defender-in-NFL type deals for Adams, they wouldn't care what I think.  At all.  They'd be far too busy celebrating.

I am busy celebrating. I celebrate by talking with my Jet fan buddies online!

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ed Reed had 64 career INTs and 7 TDs.

Sean Taylor had 12 INTs and 8 FFs in his 4-year career.  

Troy Polamalu had 32 career INTs, 12 sacks, 56 TFLs and 14 FFs.

Just stop.  

Ed Reed had 21 picks after 3 seasons.  Jamal will never get there in his career.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A step up from Miles, sure.  There are plenty of decent FA S's out there this offseason, if needed.

Rodney McLeod, Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix, Tre Boston, Anthony Harris, Justin Simmons, Vonn Bell, Karl Joseph, Jimmie Ward, Tavon Wilson, etc.

And of course we still have Marcus Maye.  

Maye + FA at Safety + picks/players to rebuild OL + cap space saved by not signing Jamal ($15M+ per season) >>>  Jamal + Maye + current picks  

Wow.  You took that bait easy.

1 minute ago, Lizard King said:

I’ll never understand this. You’d never settle for less, why should they? 

OK fair enough.  But Jamal likely won't want just top Safety money.  He'll want to be one of the highest-paid defensive players in the game.  

More power to him if he can do that, but we'd better not be the ones to pay him that kind of coin.  

2 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Will Big Joe come out of this making Jamal look unreasonable and like he forced his way out? #MadGaseSkillz

Pretty sure this is exactly what's about to happen.  

JD seems smart enough to come out of this on the winning side of the PR battle.  The key is somehow keeping the Johnson's from meddling.  

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And in the process I educated you on the FA Safety market!  

Nope.  I literally don't give two sh*ts about the inane conversations regarding Adam's presence in this team.  I am more interested in Douglas' acquisitions and draft picks rather than obsessing about the one premium talent we do have.  Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will this team be.  If Adam's a talisman for that team rebuild that would be wonderful.  If not, that will be one move in a series of many.  I am not sticking to one narrative over another.

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We did it in 2006.  

Jason Fabini, Adrian Jones, Jonathan Goodwin, Pete Kendall, Brandon Moore.

D'Brichashaw Ferguson, Pete Kendall, Nick Mangold, Brandon Moore, and Anthony Clement

Actually they did NOT in 2006. They changed LT and Center. They placed a BAND-AID or stopgap at RT in Anthony Clement. Just the same, they changed THREE starting spots, two Tackles and a Center. They did NOT overhaul the entire OL in 2006. Pete Kendall and Brandon Moore remained from the 2005 roster.

You didn't actually think you were going to get me with this amateur drivel did you? So what I said still remains. JD is not going to overhaul the entire OL during the off-season.

2 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Nope.  I literally don't give two sh*ts about the inane conversations regarding Adam's presence in this team.  I am more interested in Douglas' acquisitions and draft picks rather than obsessing about the one premium talent we do have.  Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will this team be.  If Adam's a talisman for that team rebuild that would be wonderful.  If not, that will be one move in a series of many.  I am not sticking to one narrative over another.

I am too.  That's why I want to trade Jamal, so we'll have more draft picks to rebuild the offense.

And meanwhile, if we were to trade him, its nice to know (at least to me) that there are several viable free agent Safeties out there we could pair with Maye.

To each their own I suppose!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Jason Fabini, Adrian Jones, Jonathan Goodwin, Pete Kendall, Brandon Moore.

D'Brichashaw Ferguson, Pete Kendall, Nick Mangold, Brandon Moore, and Anthony Clement

Actually they did NOT in 2006. They changed LT and Center. They placed a BAND-AID or stopgap at RT in Anthony Clement. Just the same, they changed THREE starting spots, two Tackles and a Center. They did NOT overhaul the entire OL in 2006. Pete Kendall and Brandon Moore remained from the 2005 roster.

You didn't actually think you were going to get me with this amateur drivel did you? So what I said still remains. JD is not going to overhaul the entire OL during the off-season.

So adding a franchise LT and C to man those spots for about a decade isn't an instance of "rebuilding the  line" just because we didn't have a good RT?

Come on now.  2 elite OL is all it takes to completely turn around an OL.  They help make the other 3 guys on the line better at their jobs.  

And obviously, the expectation is JD will also add at least 1 veteran starting OL in free agency/trades.  We need both.  

24 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

"You don't pick up the phone for Tom Brady or Aaron Donald."

it depends. if the chargers knew that they wouldn't even sniff a championship with rivers do you think they wouldn't have listened to trade offers?  i'm not sure about tommy boy.  he's got one of those special relationships with the patsie owners.  aaron donald?  i'll bet the rams would take the call.  at some point the gains from the trade just get too much to disregard.

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

it depends. if the chargers knew that they wouldn't even sniff a championship with rivers do you think they wouldn't have listened to trade offers?  i'm not sure about tommy boy.  he's got one of those special relationships with the patsie owners.  aaron donald?  i'll bet the rams would take the call.  at some point the gains from the trade just get too much to disregard.

Hmm, just making sure you knew.....I was quoting Jamal there....

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hmm, just making sure you knew.....I was quoting Jamal there....

at the time of adams' rant he made it sound like he was in their class as being too important.  he needed to be educated because teams will pick up the phone on just about any player.  it's all about the deal.

4 hours ago, mrcoops said:

I'm happy to pay him. He's an excellent player and the heart and soul of the team.

We need to stop trading away star players rather than paying them.

Give him the $15M a year it will take to make him the highest paid Safety in the NFL.

what star players have we traded away?

41 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i don't why all the adams negativity.  he's arguably the best player at his position and should be paid like he is.  i know many will say his position is easy to fill but maybe it isn't quite so easy.  and like others have said, the jets will find out if they can afford him in their plans or if they need to opt away.  the problem there is once they've determined they can't afford his services then his trade value becomes that much less.

They can afford to pay him, so that's not really the question. The question is, if he's good enough to pay, he's probably good enough to reap a few decent draft picks in return, so what makes more sense: signing Jamal to a mega-contract or turning Jamal into a few high-end prospects at positions of greater immediate need and using the money you were going to give him to sign a top free agent OL, receiver, CB, etc.?

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

They can afford to pay him, so that's not really the question. The question is, if he's good enough to pay, he's probably good enough to reap a few decent draft picks in return, so what makes more sense: signing Jamal to a mega-contract or turning Jamal into a few high-end prospects at positions of greater immediate need and using the money you were going to give him to sign a top free agent OL, receiver, CB, etc.?

Bingo!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Jets fans:  PAY JAMAL EVERYTHING 

Also Jets fans:  lol like you really think Jamal could bring back a 1st & 3rd

Just now, T0mShane said:

Addition by subtraction not always good. The NY Jets currently have the best Safety in the NFL trading him away is a risk that the talented lacking NY Jets cant take. You build winning teams around player like Jamal Adams.