Boomer & Gio - Mark Sanchez Interview This Morning At The Super Bowl

SAR I

It definitely didn’t workout in the end with Sanchez- as described in the interview and what really happened with him and his development really was not all his fault. It does kind of suck for him that the world will only remember him as the kid that buttfumbled. When I go back and watch some of those games from his first three years... There really was some real talent there. Not saying he would’ve ever been elite - but certainly think he was more than good enough to win with had he been developed properly. Good for him that he’s found his way with what he does now as a part time analyst- he’s pretty good at it.Likewise good for him and his positive attitude and the ability to poke fun at himself.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Gibby said:

It definitely didn’t workout in the end with Sanchez- as described in the interview and what really happened with him and his development really was not all his fault. It does kind of suck for him that the world will only remember him as the kid that buttfumbled. When I go back and watch some of those games from his first three years... There really was some real talent there. Not saying he would’ve ever been elite - but certainly think he was more than good enough to win with had he been developed properly. Good for him that he’s found his way with what he does now as a part time analyst- he’s pretty good at it.Likewise good for him and his positive attitude and the ability to poke fun at himself.

No doubt.

• Upvote 1

Mark is a class guy, but he subtly found a way to kill Tannenbaum for signing every castoff thug WR to hit the waiver wire, and Boomer goes in on how bad Rex Ryan was for Mark's development. Anyone who thought, or thinks, that Rex Ryan was a value-add for this franchise was/is dead wrong, and anyone who thinks Gase had a chance in Miami with Mike Tannenbaum as his boss is out of their mind. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

48 minutes ago, Gibby said:

Right! Try telling that to anyone not a Jet fan. Court of public opinion tells you he’s the worst quarterback ever to play the game. Simply not true.

Not the worst. But he washed out of the league in his early 30's. He just wasnt an NFL starter and a marginal backup.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Just imagine trying to learn how to play QB with Derrick Mason, Plaxico Burress, and Santonio Holmes in your face every play. Good lord. 

I never thought of that.  Jesus.  Now I’m starting to not be as down on Sanchez as I was.

The lawyer/accountant Tannenbaum wasn’t smart enough to just get a feel for what a terrible mix that would be?  ALL idiot thug WRs matched with 1 wet behind the ears QB?

Yeah, the Jets are really one the stupidest organizations in all of pro sports and it comes from the very top on down.  The Johnson brothers couldn’t run a corner deli properly and would never own a team if not for their last name.  Leon Hess didn’t know a thing about football, but at least you have to give him credit for being self made in the oil business.  In no coincidence one of the few times the Jets were successful during his ownership was when he just got 100% out of the way and let Parcells do Parcells things.

I just hope Joe Douglas is only half of what he is hyped to be.  And if so the other hope is for the Johnsons to just go off and play in the corner.

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Just imagine trying to learn how to play QB with Derrick Mason, Plaxico Burress, and Santonio Holmes in your face every play. Good lord. 

You know, I never really thought about it until you just said that.  Especially with someone as inexperienced as Sanchez.  Rather than learning how to read defenses and coverages etc, a large portion of his "processing" was simply them just telling him how they were open every play.  Even when they weren't.  

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, usanyj said:

He played well enough in those playoff games to get us to the show. The defense let us down.

Yes, that's true.  Mark Sanchez was the best Jet on the field in those Championship Games, he had that postseason clutch gene.  We'll never know what might have been if Tony Sporano wasn't the world's worst offensive coordinator and Chaz Schillens / Glyde Gates / Stephen Hill the world's worst WR's.

Mark was a good guy, never blamed others for his problems, and I'm glad to see him doing well on TV. 

SAR I

• Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

The lawyer/accountant Tannenbaum wasn’t smart enough to just get a feel for what a terrible mix that would be?  ALL idiot thug WRs matched with 1 wet behind the ears QB?

He wanted to look cool in front of his buddy Rex, so he signed a lot of the players Rex wanted.  It was a Middle School environment on 1 Jets Drive.

Sanchez blew and he walked into a very good situation his first 2 years here.  But Rex and Tannenbaum did him no favors the rest of his career with the Jets.  Other than giving him an undeserved mega extension, that is.  Mark Sanchez's net worth is $40M.  Think about that for 2 seconds and tell me you don't want to just walk into the ocean with ankle weights on.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Mark is a class guy, but he subtly found a way to kill Tannenbaum for signing every castoff thug WR to hit the waiver wire, and Boomer goes in on how bad Rex Ryan was for Mark's development. Anyone who thought, or thinks, that Rex Ryan was a value-add for this franchise was/is dead wrong, and anyone who thinks Gase had a chance in Miami with Mike Tannenbaum as his boss is out of their mind. 

I agree but I thought in true millennial form he didn’t really take any responsibility for his own below average play. He subtly trashed Tanny which is fine but I think some humbleness was called for as well. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

2010 was a GREAT season!

Remember the Detroit game?

Yup.  Down 10 points in the 4th quarter, Mark led us back and tied it, won it in OT.

There were 5 such games that season where the Rex Plan wasn't working, the D wasn't good enough, the RB wasn't good enough, and Mark Sanchez brought us to victory.  Detroit, Denver, Houston, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh.  What might have been 6-10 turned into 11-5, another playoff berth, and the epic revenge victory over the Patriots.  And don't forget the Indianapolis wildcard game either.  Not Mark's best night but he made two big throws with under a minute to go to turn a 16-14 loss into a 17-16 victory.  It's an absolute shame we didn't try to develop him and let our head coach scapegoat him.  Just a terrible moment in team history.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

Mark’s ability to discuss these things is impressive. It’s true he doesn’t fully admit his faults but by admitting he wasn’t a “developed QB”, naturally some of that has to do with him- but he is correct that he wasn’t helped by coaches and front office.

When I see him I still see “Our Future Franchise QB” ? it’s just what was embedded in my mind when we made the incredible trade up to get him with the Browns, after he got us one step away and this young stud was on the cover of GQ in a kelly green shirt (I ignore the other homo erotic pics in that shoot).  I swear I see him and I still think- this young talent is going to get us to the promised land one day...and then I realize 10 years have gone by, he faded like a firework and doesn’t even play football anymore but I’m hardwired to see that face and feel hope.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Facts:  Tannenbaum was not Gase's boss.  Grier was GM and Tannenbaum was VP of Ops.  Gase reported to neither.  Gase reported to the owner, Stephen Ross.  Just like he does here with Chris (ne: Woody) Johnson. 

The organizational structure was horrible.  After Gase and Ross had their final spat, where Gase made sure he said enough sh!t to the owner to be fired, Ross smartened up and decided that whoever the next HC was going to be would report to Grier.  Stephen Ross changed his failed organizational structure to a more traditional one.  Chris (ne: Woody) Johnson did not.  Gase does not report to Douglas.  I don't care what anyone says and if a greater number of teams are doing this now...  this structure blows when the owner is an abject idiot.  At least if the HC reports to the GM he is somewhat insulated from the clueless owner.

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He shouldn't have been subtle.  Tanny and REX had a very servicable QB and did NOTHING to help him.  We draft Kyle Wilson when a Gronk is on the board.  This teams management philosophy is awful.  Just awful.  Why? Becasue the owner hasn't a clue. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

He shouldn't have been subtle.  Tanny and REX had a very servicable QB and did NOTHING to help him.  We draft Kyle Wilson when a Gronk is on the board.  This teams management philosophy is awful.  Just awful.  Why? Becasue the owner hasn't a clue. 

Tanny and Rex indeed did nothing to help him.  95 % of what was good about our roster was in place prior to the 2009 season, and beyond 2010 they did nothing positive with it.  And of course Rex had no interest in offense and delegated entirely to his OC's.

But that doesn't mean Sanchez was "serviceable".  He was a slow processor and an awful, inaccurate QB, and held the team back as well.  Giving him an extension after failing to get Peyton Manning was a mind-numbingly dumb decision. 

None of the above are mutually exclusive points.  

41 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Tanny and Rex indeed did nothing to help him.  95 % of what was good about our roster was in place prior to the 2009 season, and beyond 2010 they did nothing positive with it.  And of course Rex had no interest in offense and delegated entirely to his OC's.

But that doesn't mean Sanchez was "serviceable".  He was a slow processor and an awful, inaccurate QB, and held the team back as well.  Giving him an extension after failing to get Peyton Manning was a mind-numbingly dumb decision. 

None of the above are mutually exclusive points.  

25 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

Something most bone headed Jet fans forget. He was within 1 game of the SB twice. Say what you want, it is what it is. Go watch the SD playoff game from 09, he made some amazing throws in that game.

JF80...Look at Ash's post.  I agree with him. I absolutely see your point BUT imagine Mark with Gronk, a solid QB coach etc. 

Just now, southparkcpa said:

JF80...Look at Ash's post.  I agree with him. I absolutely see your point BUT imagine Mark with Gronk, a solid QB coach etc. 

Then he'd just be a bad QB with Gronk and a good HC.  His circumstances couldn't suddenly make him a good or even average QB.

And what we called "great playoff games" out of Mark were really just mediocre days for a competent QB.  He played better in the postseason, that's for sure, but that isn't saying much.  And in both AFC Title games he threw up duds.  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

2010 was a GREAT season!

Remember the Detroit game?

I remember the Texans  game. After giving up the lead late we have the ball with less than 2 minutes and Sanchez hits Braylon Edwards for a long pass down the sidelines then hits Holmes in the end zone for the winner. Great game great win. Had real good seats for that game - we had a lead all game only for Rex's defense to crumble late but Sanchez pulled out the win.

• Upvote 1