Brandon Copeland on Cutting Le'Veon Bell

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Gase was bitching about Bell last summer like crazy 

I’m not even a person who initially supported signing Bell but trading him now for a 7th when we might be getting an OL makes no sense but Gase is the toxic clown it has to be his way 

So Macc wasn't an idiot?

No I agree getting rid of Bell now doesn't make much sense. Gotta see what he does with better blocking. (Hopefully better anyways)

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

No one wants to "just unload him".  That's a straw man argument.

In a recent poll here on JN, over 72% of respondents would trade him straight up for a guard. That's not strawman stuff. I'm also in favor of trading him, in theory, provided they got back a lot more than a guard. 

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

The best way to make [Darnold] give their all to get better is competition, even if pro forma.

Adam Gase took the job here (and Mike McCarthy was interested) because he believed in Sam Darnold. Joe Douglas signed on because he believed the Jets had their franchise QB in the fold. These guys aren't spending any real resources on a backup QB, no matter how much you may believe that competition, even a fake variety, might make Sam Darnold better. They're going to sign some former starter or long time backup to just fill the role. Assets are going to be spent on players who'll actually help Sam on the field. 

37 minutes ago, slats said:

In a recent poll here on JN, over 72% of respondents would trade him straight up for a guard. That's not strawman stuff.

That's also not "just unloading him".

I am sure you can understand the idea that someone might value an elite Guard more than an elite Strong Safety.  You certainly don't have to agree (it IS an opinion question after all), but to someone who values Offense and the O-line, a Strong Safety/Edge hybrid for a Guard is not "just unloading", it's an upgrade.

I'm also in favor of trading him, in theory, provided they got back a lot more than a guard.

Nothing wrong with that.  I've said I prefer the #1 and #3 picks.  I believe a competent GM, in this draft, can turn those picks into long-term O-line and WR starters.

Adam Gase took the job here (and Mike McCarthy was interested) because he believed in Sam Darnold. Joe Douglas signed on because he believed the Jets had their franchise QB in the fold. These guys aren't spending any real resources on a backup QB, no matter how much you may believe that competition, even a fake variety, might make Sam Darnold better.

Understood.  I hope I've been clear, this is my opinion, not what I expect. 

What I expect is yet another worthless veteran JAG to back up Sam, and when Sam inevitably misses 3 or more starts in 2020, we'll lose all three games behind the worthless veteran JAG.

Assets are going to be spent on players who'll actually help Sam on the field. 

If they materially rebuild the O-Line and WR Corp, I'll be very happy, as I've been saying fro what feels like years now.

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

His goal is to clear cap room, not to get Bell off his offense no matter what. If recouping more than a nominal amount of cap room isn't part of the deal, then I doubt it. There would have to be a bad personal issue between the two for that to happen, and there's no evidence of that being the case.

He didn't want to spend a lot of money on Bell. Bell knows it. That's different than, "I hate Bell. Keep that f***er away from me. Get him off my team and I don't care if we only recoup negligible cap space and pick(s)."

If that was the situation he'd have just benched/demoted Bell last year. 

I think Gase wants to get rid of Bell.  

5 hours ago, BUM-KNEE said:

You know who ya old geezer!

If a Fortune 500 company hired the equivalent of an Adam Gase as CEO their stock would go down 30%. And there are 500 of those jobs.

Basically we now must hope Gase does a complete 180 from his history to be successful. Been a jet fan too long to think that’s gonna happen.

• Upvote 1

On 1/30/2020 at 4:01 PM, Warfish said:

lol, don't trade Adams.  Don't sign a backup QB to push Sam.  Don't trade or cut Bell.  

I guess we're just a piece away then, since the consensus of late seems to be "do nothing whatsoever, signa  FA or two and draft some EDGE, and we'll be fine".

If this team gets 2 WR , I edge Rusher , and revamps the OL which are all very possible this offseason in both FA and the Draft we should be fantastic on defense and the offense should start coming around as the OL starts to gel after a few games. 

9 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

If this team gets 2 WR , I edge Rusher , and revamps the OL which are all very possible this offseason in both FA and the Draft we should be fantastic on defense and the offense should start coming around as the OL starts to gel after a few games. 

The entire board is screaming we need a entire new OL, WRs, Edge and CBs but sure make it seem like everyone is screaming, stay put and do nothing to improve the team because people disagree about trading/cutting your best players!

15 hours ago, jgb said:

If a Fortune 500 company hired the equivalent of an Adam Gase as CEO their stock would go down 30%. And there are 500 of those jobs.

Basically we now must hope Gase does a complete 180 from his history to be successful. Been a jet fan too long to think that’s gonna happen.

He’s a more pompous Mangini.  Good luck with him changing

I don’t think it’s outside the realm of possibility he gets canned after we stink again next season

13 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Whatever they do a huge majority of the fan base will go into next season with playoff expectations and the cautious minority will again be slandered as fake fans and losers. It’s just a carousel of craziness. People were actually disappointed by 7 wins this season. Can you believe that? With this HC and this team??

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Whatever they do a huge majority of the fan base will go into next season with playoff expectations. It’s just a carousel of craziness. People were actually disappointed by 7 wins this season. Can you believe that? With this HC and this team??

4 to 8 wins is the norm. It's very exciting.

21 hours ago, jgb said:

All we have is hope...