Super Bowel weekend! (That's not a typo) A PSA from your fellow Jets fan

Feel free to move to The Lounge if necessary but wanted to take a minute to remind everyone that your health is important and you need to be proactive with it.  I'm going in for the ole Colonoscopy tomorrow.  Not fun, embarrassing to talk about for people, etc. and that's why I'm raising my hand and starting this thread.  

Everyone should have one no later than 50 years old.  I'm in my mid-40's but some colon cancer history in the family means I should get it done earlier.

You can feel 100% fine and not know that you have something lurking.  Do it for yourself, do it so that your kids have their parents around to see them grow up, do it so that you can be around for the Jets Super Bowl Championship in 2024!

And, if this helps keep the thread on the main board for a few days then here's your Jets linkage...

Mark Gastineau's 40-year odyssey: Sleeper, sack dancer, cancer patient

When Mark Gastineau went for a colonoscopy last October, his doctors knew immediately that something was wrong. They detected a malignancy so clearly that they told Mark and Jo Ann on the spot before the biopsy results. The tumor was removed at Fox Chase, where he spent three weeks recovering from surgery.

A game plan was set: Eight chemotherapy sessions, followed by 5½ weeks of radiation, five times a week. He's in the middle of the radiation phase, optimistic he will beat the cancer, but knows it's only "halftime" in this battle.

"There's no way to describe it," Gastineau said of the disease. "It's tough to describe, but you know what? There's going to be a day when it's over. There are people there that are worse than I am."

Gastineau, who once relished the spotlight, doesn't do a lot of interviews. He agreed to speak to ESPN in part because he wants to raise awareness for colon cancer.

"I think the reason I have this is to tell people to get tested," he said, making this reporter promise he would have a colonoscopy. "[The cancer] came on like a thief in the night."

i.jpeg.6b3b7c490ec4886485e7702551832657.jpeg

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/79737/mark-gastineaus-40-year-odyssey-sleeper-sack-dancer-cancer-patient

The hardest part is simply committing to get it done.  Make the call or mention it to your doctor during an annual physical (if he hasn't already mentioned it to you).  It is REALLY easy to let something like this fall to the bottom of your list of to-do's.  Don't let it.  I want you guys around for a long time so we can keep bitching about the Jets. :D

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

The procedure is no problem and like SAR said they put you out like a light using propofol. The same stuff that killed Michael Jackson but there's no need to worry unless your anesthesiologist is incompetent.

The part that really 'stinks' is the preparation for the procedure. Have a good book because you'll be spending many hours in the bathroom.

• Upvote 1

To the original poster - well said.. I have family with a history of colon cancer and it's no joke, I lost my grandpa to it.  I'm 41 now and I've already had 2 of them and I'm overdue for my next check up.  Easy to do and not worth taking the risk so get it done if you haven't.

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Feel free to move to The Lounge if necessary but wanted to take a minute to remind everyone that your health is important and you need to be proactive with it.  I'm going in for the ole Colonoscopy tomorrow.  Not fun, embarrassing to talk about for people, etc. and that's why I'm raising my hand and starting this thread.  

Everyone should have one no later than 50 years old.  I'm in my mid-40's but some colon cancer history in the family means I should get it done earlier.

You can feel 100% fine and not know that you have something lurking.  Do it for yourself, do it so that your kids have their parents around to see them grow up, do it so that you can be around for the Jets Super Bowl Championship in 2024!

And, if this helps keep the thread on the main board for a few days then here's your Jets linkage...

The hardest part is simply committing to get it done.  Make the call or mention it to your doctor during an annual physical (if he hasn't already mentioned it to you).  It is REALLY easy to let something like this fall to the bottom of your list of to-do's.  Don't let it.  I want you guys around for a long time so we can keep bitching about the Jets. :D

I have a female Doctor so when she checks my prostrate, I have a cigarette and a scotch and ask her to re check it.  

Couldn't help myself.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

The procedure is no problem and like SAR said they put you out like a light using propofol. The same stuff that killed Michael Jackson but there's no need to worry unless your anesthesiologist is incompetent.

The part that really 'stinks' is the preparation for the procedure. Have a good book because you'll be spending many hours in the bathroom.

d785e23d1b6d46cdf93f7e05c1b23833.jpg

This.

Also, if you watch your diet the 48 hours before you start the liquid cleanse, that day in the bathroom is a breeze, no cramping or discomfort at all.  People talk about how its difficult, but if you eat what you should the few days before the cleanse day it just turns out to be a strange day off from work.

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

3 hours ago, CTM said:

Not looking to pry but best wishes and speedy recovery man.

Thank you sir, I appreciate it.   You’re not prying.  I’m waiting for a kidney transplant.  Feeling amazingly well all things considered.  

Again, Many thanks 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 4

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Thank you sir, I appreciate it.   You’re not prying.  I’m waiting for a kidney transplant.  Feeling amazingly well all things considered.  

Again, Many thanks 

Yeah I figured from the Hooters gif you included. Godspeed! Its amazing how routine something so complex has become.

• Upvote 1

On 2/1/2020 at 5:25 AM, CTM said:

Yeah I figured from the Hooters gif you included. Godspeed! Its amazing how routine something so complex has become.

I've been in full kidney failure for almost 10 years, have been in dialysis 10 years.  5 hours a day, three days a week. Complications kept me from getting a transplant earlier.  There are different ways you can take it.  While one side you can cry why me, why did I get a terminal disease, the other side is its a terminal disease I  can live with, so I carry on.  I'm as positive about myself and my future as can be

Youre right, transplantation, at least kidney, has become so commonplace, I go to testing discussing it like its a trip to the dentist.  Success rates, medications, matching are so much easier today, the outlook for so many is normalcy and independence.

Thank you

• Sympathy 3

• 2 weeks later...

I am up tomorrow.  Just starting the prep now.  Predicting snow over night.  Most of the storm is supposed to stay to our south, but the are predicting 2 - 4 inches by morning.  Really hoping the models have it right and we don't get hit with a major storm. 

Would really suck to go through the prep, only to have the procedure cancelled in the AM due to a snowstorm.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Lith said:

I am up tomorrow.  Just starting the prep now.  Predicting snow over night.  Most of the storm is supposed to stay to our south, but the are predicting 2 - 4 inches by morning.  Really hoping the models have it right and we don't get hit with a major storm. 

Would really suck to go through the prep, only to have the procedure cancelled in the AM due to a snowstorm.  

Snow where in N.J?  

15 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yeah, that would suck.  Good luck.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Lith said:

That happened to me this last time after the first prep I got the flu and couldn't go for in my fourth colonoscopy, since  my 40's. I've been on the every 3 year plan. Good luck, Lith.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

That happened to me this last time after the first prep I got the flu and couldn't go for in my fourth colonoscopy, since  my 40's. I've been on the every 3 year plan. Good luck, Lith.

Thanks.  I am on the 3-year plan too.  Hoping with a little luck and a clean report I can go back to the  normal 10-year cycle.

• Upvote 1

On 1/31/2020 at 1:38 AM, Big_Slick said:

That stuff is unreal,  I’ll never forget counting backwards from 100, made it to 95.  Woke up, after what only felt like a few minutes, to find I’d been out for an hour and a half (colonoscopy & endoscopy).  Love to have a few gallons of that stuff   home 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, ID. said:

That stuff is unreal,  I’ll never forget counting backwards from 100, made it to 95.  Woke up, after what only felt like a few minutes, to find I’d been out for an hour and a half (colonoscopy & endoscopy).  Love to have a few gallons of that stuff   home 

Ha!  We should all have it at 1PM on Sundays in the Fall. :P

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1