Jets Targeting Thuney

SR24

In the past I'd say our chances in free agency competing for talent were much tougher, but having a 22 year old modest QB with a good sense of humor helps. There is a much better chance the Jets can win with Darnold leading them than some over the hill veteran. 

He can move around, and that helps the oline, Bell is no slouch, Douglas seems like a guy a player can relate to so I like our chances getting a couple of guys to board the Jets train. We'll see soon. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

In the past I'd say our chances in free agency competing for talent were much tougher, but having a 22 year old modest QB with a good sense of humor helps. There is a much better chance the Jets can win with Darnold leading them than some over the hill veteran. 

He can move around, and that helps the oline, Bell is no slouch, Douglas seems like a guy a player can relate to so I like our chances getting a couple of guys to board the Jets train. We'll see soon. 

Manish says nobody wants to play for Gase.

On 1/31/2020 at 4:12 PM, chirorob said:

Like, an amazing food truck.

Gyro, fat cat, cheese steak.  Cheese steak with a fried egg on it was devine.

Ahhh  Never heard them called grease trucks before. LOL

All we have up here for those is fries and gross lobster.

22 hours ago, Jetmech said:

I believe they have like 12 picks in the draft. Wouldn’t surprise me they trade some picks for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Brady leaves the smartest thing they can do is go 0-16 

And that roster with no Brady or gifts from the refs that’s a possibility 

If Brady leaves the smartest thing they can do is go 0-16 

And that roster with no Brady or gifts from the refs that’s a possibility 

They do have a good defense though. I could see them maneuvering to get into the Lawrence thing.

4 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

They do have a good defense though. I could see them maneuvering to get into the Lawrence thing.

That defense is sooooo overrated they got their stats playing the dolphins and Adam Gase first half of the season 

Thuney makes sense of course.  He's a good young, dependable guard that will stabilize the OL to a certain extent.  He was the one bright spot on a terrible Pats Oline last year (that whole line was playing hurt all year)

You figure Douglas/Gase have one season to turn this around or their jobs will be on the line, so getting 'sure' value on the OL likely keeps him employed.  If they swing and miss on an injury prone player, or another old guy, you can be sure they'll be gone.

The downside of Thuney is that he's not exactly elite, and he's going to get paid like he is in this FA market.  He's probably just outside the top ten.  Still sure value is sure value.

Teams believe New York Jets will pursue G Joe Thuney (Report)

By
 Kyle Newman
 - 
 01/31/2020
EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - NOVEMBER 27: Joe Thuney #62 of the New England Patriots in action against the New York Jets during their game at MetLife Stadium on November 27, 2016 in East Rutherford, New Jersey. (Photo by Al Bello/Getty Images)

The New York Jets are desperate for offensive line help and teams, reportedly, believe Gang Green will pursue Joe Thuney.

According to Tony Pauline of Pro Football Network, teams around the league expect the New York Jets to pursue former New England Patriots guard Joe Thuney.

“I heard nothing from Jets sources but several league insiders believe the team will go hard after Joe Thuney – which makes perfect sense,” Pauline wrote.

The Jets are likely looking for an upgrade at both guard spots. Brian Wintersjust isn’t good enough anymore and Alex Lewis’s contract is up. Considering Thuney was a Second-Team All-Pro in 2019, he would be a good place to start.

Pauline prefaces this rumor by saying it came from sources around the league and not someone inside the organization. Of course, the rest of the league expects the Jets to make a play at the best offensive lineman on the market. They need offensive line help in a big way.

The move seems logical, but the rumor should be taken with a grain of salt since it is not coming from a Jets source. Free agency is still a month and a half away. There’s a possibility that Thuney doesn’t even hit the market.

If he does though, expect the Jets to show some level of interest. That doesn’t mean Thuney is destined to be wearing green next season, but they should look into signing the talented lineman. They’re too desperate at the position not to at least look into the matter.

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Or you go to the titans and almost get to the Super Bowl

Mark Sanchez almost got to 2 Super Bowls, and your point is?

Gase never sat Tannehill, he sat out because he was injured all the time. Notice how Sam hasn't run as much? Maybe Gase is trying to protect Sam from being injured all the time from his experience watching Tannehill run as much as he did. 

The Jets will "have an eye one" pretty much every FA OL this offseason, and they will certainly "pursue" all of those good ones that do not resign with their current clubs.

And, they can easily overpay at least one guy b/c they are spending almost nothing on the OL at this time, and they'll have 2-4 guys drafted this year on rookie contracts for a few years. 

It's time to draft and put some serious cash into the OL.

• Upvote 1