Jamison Crowder: "I think I was very consistent this year"

Love this piece on Crowder from the Jets: https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/consistent-jamison-crowder-striving-for-greatness

He reminds me a lot of Jerricho Cotchery (my favorite Jet of all time), and not just because they're wide receivers with the same initials. They're not #1 guys and likely never will be (although he led the team in most categories this year), but they seem to always be there over the middle on a third down... they rarely drop the ball... they're just ultra-consistent and trustworthy. Every team needs a receiver like him and I'm glad he'll be back in green and white (and black) next year. Sam obviously has a good rapport with him. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, sameoldjetsstore said:

Love this piece on Crowder from the Jets: https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/consistent-jamison-crowder-striving-for-greatness

He reminds me a lot of Jerricho Cotchery (my favorite Jet of all time), and not just because they're wide receivers with the same initials. They're not #1 guys and likely never will be (although he led the team in most categories this year), but they seem to always be there over the middle on a third down... they rarely drop the ball... they're just ultra-consistent and trustworthy. Every team needs a receiver like him and I'm glad he'll be back in green and white (and black) next year. Sam obviously has a good rapport with him. 

One of MM better signings for sure

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, sameoldjetsstore said:

Crowder does not "rarely drop the ball"

• Haha 1

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

That's 1 drop for every 10 he caught. 

Look, he's a pretty good receiver. Not beast-great, but certainly not bad. I still consider him an asset (especially in light of how thin the position group is).

He obviously has the ability to catch a higher percentage, as he did over his first 2 seasons when his catch rate was north of 70% (where it should be for a guy running 5-10 yard routes with high percentage throws). Of course he can catch these passes he dropped, so hopefully this "consistent" label gets applied appropriately in 2020 as he and Darnold gain familiarity with the offense and each other.

8 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It seems you're correct. Tied for 6th in the league in drops with 8.

Hmm. I suppose I was wrong. He's ranked fairly high in targets as well though. Not top 10, but obviously more targets = more drops.  His catch percentage was 64%, which is solid but could be better.

Side note as I'm looking at these stats... Michael Thomas caught 81% of passes thrown his way this season (wow), trailing only Kyle Rudolph, but I think Thomas has a slight edge since he had 110 more receptions and 1400 more yards.

His catch rate will rocket adding a #1 WR & getting Herndon back with an amped up Oline. 

Everything is relative in the NFL. No Skill players? You can double more. No TE that can get down the field quickly? You can double more & play more man to man. Oline doesn't give the QB enough time? Ball comes out quicker allowing defenders to not have to defend a space for long. 

You add a WR like Jeudy, Lamb, or even a Jefferson in the 2nd, keep Robbie, get Herndon back & give Sam another second or two & Crowder will be open 24/7.