Nick Bosa wins DRoY

1 minute ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Quinnen Williams almost got a sack that one time.

Still think losing games doesn't matter? Does anyone care that we beat the Bills last year to take us from drafting 2 to 3?

That does suck. But bring back the thread where a sh*t ton of Jet fans didn't want Nick Bosa because of a history of injuries with the family. 

But yes, we no longer even employ the guy that tripped over his own feet & stumbled into the endzone. I have to admit I've never cheered against the Jets but Sam had already brought them into scoring range so I saw all I needed to see. I did not want McGuire to score, I wanted the 2nd pick & Bosa. We've needed a stud pass rusher in FOREVER. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

crying-over-spilled-milk.jpg

It's completely ******* idiotic to win games when you have no chance to make the playoffs. I remember people cheering when they beat the Bills in a completely insignificant game --- well I can't say it's insignificant now, since we had the chance to finally replace Abraham after 15 god damn years and we ended up picking ANOTHER turd from Alabama.

Only the Jets.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Follow up question:  Should the 2019 Jets have lost, on purpose, every game after we fell to 1-7?

Nope. 

Because after 1-7, Darnold’s psyche and Gase’s rally were far more important to our future than rising ten clicks on the draft board. 

SAR I

7 minutes ago, Jetster said:

That does suck. But bring back the thread where a sh*t ton of Jet fans didn't want Nick Bosa because of a history of injuries with the family.

I was one of those and have been wrong so far. 1 season doesn't make a career though, we'll see

Didn't want QW either, in fact he's who I wanted last of the top 3 defenders

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We seem to get that 'feel good' win late often and it kills us in the draft.

Funny how Coaches and players still want to win and perform well in "meaningless games", especially if they might be FA's or get fired, eh?

It's almost like what fans want (better pick) and what coaches and players want (to look good) aren't the same.

:-k

I'll ask the same question, how to you plan to get those coaches and players to lose on purpose?

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Doesn't matter.  If were picking # 2, Macc would have taken Bosa.  I think he even stated as much at the time.  

23 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

It's completely ******* idiotic to win games when you have no chance to make the playoffs. I remember people cheering when they beat the Bills in a completely insignificant game --- well I can't say it's insignificant now, since we had the chance to finally replace Abraham after 15 god damn years and we ended up picking ANOTHER turd from Alabama.

Only the Jets.

Yes, the Jets beating the Bills is the only reason we didn't "replace Abraham after 15 years".   We totally couldn't have simply taken Josh Allen, Brian Burns or, even better value, Maxx Crosby along with Quinnen, and shut up every genius that thinks winning games is a bad thing.

It's bad drafting that has hurt us and the big bad Boogeyman that made those choices has been gone for months.  It's time to stop crying over it.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

30 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Only the Jets.

So what exactly did you want them to do? Lose on purpose? Do you honestly expect every player and coach just to say “Hey guys we know most of you are fighting for jobs or for your next contract but we need you to purposely lose today so we can drop one spot in the draft”.  Come on man ? 

I also thought Bosa was too big an injury risk to take and have to eat crow now.

But does it even matter? He was gone by our pick anyway. 

Most of us wanted to trade down but that didn’t work out. QW, while disappointing as a rookie, could definitely turn it around. We’ll see.

The real crime of that draft was Polite. There were a lot of good players on the board still; Terry McLaurin, David Montgomery and Chase Winovich to name a few. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Only the Jets.

It's completely idiotic to expect a group of paid professionals to lose a game on purpose. Whether we as fans wanted to lose the game or not is irrelevant. Just let it go.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Funny how Coaches and players still want to win and perform well in "meaningless games", especially if they might be FA's or get fired, eh?

It's almost like what fans want (better pick) and what coaches and players want (to look good) aren't the same.

:-k

I'll ask the same question, how to you plan to get those coaches and players to lose on purpose?

We all cheer for the team to win, look at the game day threads everyone wants us to do well and win.

All of that does not change the outlook of....what is the difference if you win 6 or 3 games and the end of the year?

The difference can be Quinnen Williams vs bosa.

If this was a one time one year thing you might hear a murmur, the jets do it almost every year.

In non winning years since the famous kotite year lets look at some of our win totals.

6,4,4,6,4,5,5,4,7  Bad enough to have no hope of playoffs early on, just good enough to often be picking 5 or 6

We had to trade 3 2nd round picks to move up to 3 to get a QB.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Quinnen Williams almost got a sack that one time.

Still think losing games doesn't matter? Does anyone care that we beat the Bills last year to take us from drafting 2 to 3?

It’s short sighted to not see the big picture and how draft position is important after a lost year. It’s usually WAY more valuable than building minimal confidence and winning an extra few games.

You use your backups more to evaluate the back end of a sh*t roster and lose the game. Treat it like the preseason so you still build chemistry with your starters. It’s not hard. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We all cheer for the team to win, look at the game day threads everyone wants us to do well and win.

All of that does not change the outlook of....what is the difference if you win 6 or 3 games and the end of the year?

The difference can be Quinnen Williams vs bosa.

If this was a one time one year thing you might hear a murmur, the jets do it almost every year.

In none winning years since the famous kotite year lets look at some of our win totals.

6,4,4,6,4,5,5,4,7  Bad enough to have no hope of playoffs early on, just good enough to often be picking 5 or 6

We had to trade 3 2nd round picks to move up to 3 to get a QB.

Ok.

So....I'll ask the same question a third time:  how to you plan to get those coaches and players to lose on purpose?

If we have no answer for that, what are we talking about exactly? :-k

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

I didn't want QW either.  I don't take issue with objection to the pick.

I will always take issue with the silly fan idea that NFL teams can and will "lose on purpose" for a better draft spot.  

You mean to tell me that a franchise wouldn't try to lose a game where losing at that moment is more meaningful than actually winning it...on top of the fact that doing so is not illegal or cheating?

This is the same league where the Partiots would film opponent sidelines and signals to win, or turning off mic communication or deflating footballs which is clearly cheating and illegal  Or teams like the Falcons pumping artificial crowd noise into the stadium. 

You can take issue with it and find it a silly fan idea, but I remember the year of the Winston/Mariota draft and literally seen the Bucs do everything possible to lose that week 17 game in order to secure the 1st overall pick. 

It's a bit weird to know that teams would outright cheat, but tanking a week 17 game for a higher pick would be considered "going way too far". 

You can get a team to lose a game for an offseason advantage just like you can get a team to throw and catch deflated footballs and not say a word about it.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Ok.

So....I'll ask the same question a third time:  how to you plan to get those coaches and players to lose on purpose?

If we have no answer for that, what are we talking about exactly? :-k

IR for players that may not be in the team’s future plans and you don’t want to risk being on the hook for guaranteed money and play your backups more to evaluate the roster. I agree that no players will tank EVER. When you have a new coach, you have a chance to do this if necessary.

I agree with @SAR I that the Jets playing well the 2nd half of 2019 was far more important than draft position. However, the 2018 failure Jets with a coach that was about to be fired, could have taken advantage of the moment. Hell, they got the #3 pick without tanking and trying their hardest.

Would it really have been that hard to tell Bowles that we will keep you til the end of the year as a courtesy and to not stain your coaching reputation too much, but we need to evaluate the depth on this roster and focus on draft position for next year?

I think there is an easy middle ground here for situational awareness of draft position for certain years. In an already lost season, it depends on the prospects, if you already have a FQB or not, or if you can score a potential haul because another team will be looking for a FQB. It also depends on the coaches job safety or lack there of because you are moving on. 2018 we already had our potential FQB but were getting rid of Bowles and the team was TERRIBLE. Focus on the future in those situations. 

• Upvote 1

A classic JetNation Thread: Something happens somehwere in the world that can be spun as casting the Jets or one of their players in a bad light and a small cadre of little trolls fall over themselves to be the 1st to post it.

Quinnen Williams appears to be the primary target now that Adams turned out to be great and Leo has been traded. 

• Post of the Week 2

So how would you convince a Head Coach and the players to lose on purpose then?

Follow up question:  Should the 2019 Jets have lost, on purpose, every game after we fell to 1-7?

Follow up question if the Jets played the same 8 games/schedule as the first half again after would they have gone 6-2?

7 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

A classic JetNation Thread: Something happens somehwere in the world that can be spun as casting the Jets or one of their players in a bad light and a small cadre of little trolls fall over themselves to be the 1st to post it.

Quinnen Williams appears to be the primary target now that Adams turned out to be great and Leo has been traded. 

Well @Sarge4Tide  this is a football message board and we discuss football related stuff and quite frankly Bosa is 1000x better than QW. 

So if the shoe fits buddy. 

14 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Post Of The Decade.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Well @Sarge4Tide  this is a football message board and we discuss football related stuff and quite frankly Bosa is 1000x better than QW. 

So if the shoe fits buddy. 

If we had passed on Bosa to take Williams it would be a valid complaint.  But now its just the same old jets fans, trolls, and habitual whiners doing what they do best

• Upvote 2

So how would you convince a Head Coach and the players to lose on purpose then?

You don't. The HC and players are out there to win the game. However, upper management can make moves that ensure losing games.

As for your second question - Yes. Adam Gase would've gotten fired and we could start fresh instead of going through the next several year charade pretending Gase is a good coach when everyone knows he's not. Then again, I understand not a lot of people are familiar with delayed gratification.

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I also thought Bosa was too big an injury risk to take and have to eat crow now.

But does it even matter? He was gone by our pick anyway. 

Most of us wanted to trade down but that didn’t work out. QW, while disappointing as a rookie, could definitely turn it around. We’ll see.

The real crime of that draft was Polite. There were a lot of good players on the board still; Terry McLaurin, David Montgomery and Chase Winovich to name a few. 

That's..... kinda the point of this thread. We would've been at #2 if we didn't beat the Bills last year in a totally meaningless game for both parties.

6 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

You don't. The HC and players are out there to win the game. However, upper management can make moves that ensure losing games.

As for your second question - Yes. Adam Gase would've gotten fired and we could start fresh instead of going through the next several year charade pretending Gase is a good coach when everyone knows he's not. Then again, I understand not a lot of people are familiar with delayed gratification.

That's..... kinda the point of this thread. We would've been at #2 if we didn't beat the Bills last year in a totally meaningless game for both parties.

Just a question, not meant to be argumentative...

What do you think they could have done to lose? What's the plan to lose on purpose? How do you lose on purpose without it looking like you're losing on purpose?