***OFFICIAL SUPER BOWL LIV GAME THREAD***

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

QBase has since acknowledged they placed too much weight on the talent Watson had surrounding him at Clemson.

Once again the WEPPPINZZZ argument falls flat.  

This is why I always go with the eye test personally.

/snark.. I hadn't read that but have they adjusted thier system in response yet. I know they were toying with one around functional mobility that had Darnold rated higher than Baker but I think it disappeared this year 

3 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I’m surprised nobody has really mentioned the KC defense.  IMO they won the game by stepping up in the final few San Francisco drives.  

Blind squirrel.

The moment was too big for Shanahan and Garoppolo.  Simple as that.  The Chiefs were gifted the game no different than the Patriots when the Seahawks threw the ball and when the Falcons choked away a huge lead.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, CTM said:

Baker had one of the better rookie qb seasons I van remember and then spent the offseason making commercials and reading his own press

Darnold had had several runs of top 1/3 QB play, just not sustained

Mahommes is way more talented than both of them and way more down to earth than baker. He was going to be good anywhere.

Fair points that I can't disagree with.  However in this hypothetical, Mahomes is starting from day one for Todd Bowles/John Morton, John Fox/Dowell Loggains, and Hue Jackson/called his own play for that season, with attrocious rosters.  The 2017 Browns went 0-16 for crying out loud.  I don't think any of those three coaches help with the massive flaws he had coming out of college.  Does he eventually reach his potential on those teams when his career is said and done?  Perhaps.  Do I think he is looked at as a top 10 QB three years into his career like he is now?  No, I don't think so.  I think he looks like a promising young QB that needs more talent and stability around him.

Just now, CTM said:

Garropolo was pretty bad too

Neither QB was that good to be honest.  Garropolo folded at the end for sure.  Mahomes looked good at times but other times looked a bit shook.  It really came down to the KC defense stepping up and Shanahan making one of the dumber decision since Pete  Carroll by abandoning the run when he was up 10

3 minutes ago, CTM said:

This is why I always go with the eye test personally.

/snark.. I hadn't read that but have they adjusted thier system in response yet. I know they were toying with one around functional mobility that had Darnold rated higher than Baker but I think it disappeared this year 

Honestly I'm not sure.  I tried to find info on whether they adjusted the formula but couldn't find anything.  

27 minutes ago, CTM said:

Garropolo was pretty bad too

He overthrew badly on that late 4th quarter deep ball- 2nd or 3rd down.  Brady always nails that throw. He had a chance to win the super bowl on that play and he didn’t make a great play. The table was set for him.  Game manger QB. Not special.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

Fair points that I can't disagree with.  However in this hypothetical, Mahomes is starting from day one for Todd Bowles/John Morton, John Fox/Dowell Loggains, and Hue Jackson/called his own play for that season, with attrocious rosters.  The 2017 Browns went 0-16 for crying out loud.  I don't think any of those three coaches help with the massive flaws he had coming out of college.  Does he eventually reach his potential on those teams when his career is said and done?  Perhaps.  Do I think he is looked at as a top 10 QB three years into his career like he is now?  No, I don't think so.  I think he looks like a promising young QB that needs more talent and stability around him.

I think you arent appreciating how large the difference between top 10 and where Mahommes is today. Hes on GOAT trajectory, Tannenhil and Garropolo are top 10 guys

7 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Neither QB was that good to be honest.  Garropolo folded at the end for sure.  Mahomes looked good at times but other times looked a bit shook.  It really came down to the KC defense stepping up and Shanahan making one of the dumber decision since Pete  Carroll by abandoning the run when he was up 10

Mahommes was shook for sure, wasnt being quick or decisive and wasnt accurate 

9 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I can't actually believe he did that a second time.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Honestly I'm not sure.  I tried to find info on whether they adjusted the formula but couldn't find anything.  

Ok, I dont believe they did either but I havent paid as much attention since we have a guy for now 

9 minutes ago, CTM said:

Mahommes was shook for sure, wasnt being quick or decisive and wasnt accurate 

Yup.  I mean he still made plays but he didn’t look anywhere close to his usual self.  He almost had a third pick on that PI call.  If the guy simply turns around he would have picked it off and the game would have been over.  So some good fortune but really the KC defense deserves the most credit I feel 

25 minutes ago, CTM said:

I think you arent appreciating how large the difference between top 10 and where Mahommes is today. Hes on GOAT trajectory, Tannenhil and Garropolo are top 10 guys

I absolutely do appreciate it and, despite my reservations on the kid in college, completely agree that he might end up the GOAT when it's all said and done. 

I played QB.  I'm ridiculously biased when it comes to the position and my stances on players.  I guess what I'm really trying to say is that I feel that his immediate success can be attributed more to his situation and development than anything else. 

As for Tannehill and Jimmy G being top ten guys?  I'd rank an overall top ten this way, as of today:

Mahomes.

Rodgers.

Brees.

Wilson.

Jackson (I need to see it more than once to put him over the guys still kicking it with massive sample sizes, but he's absolutely top 5)

Watson.

Cousins.

Brady.

Big Ben (guy still threw for 5,000 yards last year, I'm not ready to take him off the top 10 just yet)

Prescott.

Jimmy G.

So yeah, I guess I could agree with you on Garropolo, but not Tannehill.  I still think some young guys out there would succeed just as much as him on that Titans team, with their running game and defense.

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, Sam isn't within miles of Pat Mahomes.  Only a homer would say otherwise.  

Last thing I am is a homer and Sam can absolutely play at that level.  

When Mahomes was under pressure yesterday he didn’t look great.  Sam played under that level of pressure almost every play, all season.

And yes, he can be in the top 10 this year...if we get him some support (players and coaching)

8 hours ago, David Harris said:

He overthrew badly on that late 4th quarter deep ball- 2nd or 3rd down.  Brady always nails that throw. He had a chance to win the super bowl on that play and he didn’t make a great play. The table was set for him.  Game manger QB. Not special.

Good point. That late deep ball throw is the one Brady always seems to make when he had too. One of the SB loss to the Giants Brady made that throw but Welker dropped it. Giselle lost her shit. Haha 

16 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I absolutely do appreciate it and, despite my reservations on the kid in college, completely agree that he might end up the GOAT when it's all said and done. 

I played QB.  I'm ridiculously biased when it comes to the position and my stances on players.  I guess what I'm really trying to say is that I feel that his immediate success can be attributed more to his situation and development than anything else. 

As for Tannehill and Jimmy G being top ten guys?  I'd rank an overall top ten this way, as of today:

Mahomes.

Rodgers.

Brees.

Wilson.

Jackson (I need to see it more than once to put him over the guys still kicking it with massive sample sizes, but he's absolutely top 5)

Watson.

Cousins.

Brady.

Big Ben (guy still threw for 5,000 yards last year, I'm not ready to take him off the top 10 just yet)

Prescott.

Jimmy G.

So yeah, I guess I could agree with you on Garropolo, but not Tannehill.  I still think some young guys out there would succeed just as much as him on that Titans team, with their running game and defense.

I was using dvoa for 2019, just a quick example of the drop off from GOAT trajectory  to # 10 not a thorough analysis 

• 4 years later...