Darron lee -super bowl champion

On 2/2/2020 at 10:47 PM, bealeb319 said:

Is it really "netting us a pick" if we spent a first and get back a sixth? The chiefs won that trade he was worth the risk of a sixth just to get him under new coaches and see if he could be salvaged.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

How did the Chiefs win that deal?

They gave up a pick, could care less what it was for a player who contributed nothing to their team.

They didnt need to bring him to see if he could be salvaged, there was plenty of tape available that shows exactly what he is

And for bonus points paid him

When we spent a 2016 1st in 2016, and got back a 2020 6th in 2019 (trade value of a 2019 7th, since we didn't get the 6th rounder until a season after he was traded). Oh yeah, and it'll be the #32 pick in that 6th round at that. 

I've said a couple times before that Gase would have been better off holding on to Lee, playing him instead of our starter(s) in meaningless preseason snaps. Along the way through the summer, or even the early part of the season, he could have seen if a more desperate team - particularly a playoff contender, or one with a GM/HC on the hot seat - lost a starting MLB/ILB or was displeased with their own healthy starter, and makes us a better offer than a typically-worthless, low 6th rounder a full season later -- especially since Lee's $1.8MM salary was very low for a young, 3-year starter. His net cost was less than that, since he'd have bumped someone else from the roster even if we weren't able to trade him. 

Gase should explain to Jets fans - before he or his DC had coached him in one contact practice - why Lee was worth a late 6th round pick to the team that became SB champs, but was such an emergency for the Jets to dump for a future late 6th round pick. 

Look, screw Darron Lee. I didn't like the pick when it was made; I didn't buy into his glorious improvement that was yammered on about to justify the pick; I didn't buy into how he'd arrived and was now a top 5 (if not the #1) ILB in the league because Bowles & the coaches stole Matt Patricia's signals for week 1, where Lee & other defenders knew the plays before the ball was snapped. Also screw him for that video that looked like he was going to beat the piss out of his woman, the phony police report, and surely other things that never reached the fans' eyes/ears.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's a net loss, not a net gain, when we spend a 1st in the (then) current season's draft and get back a late 6th in a future draft after the current season.

I dont blame Gase for that. If we were keeping a running tab on every blown draft pick without any scope of who draft whom... then we never stop talking about drafting Dan Mar -- oh, I get it!

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

When we spent a 2016 1st in 2016, and got back a 2020 6th in 2019 (trade value of a 2019 7th, since we didn't get the 6th rounder until a season after he was traded). Oh yeah, and it'll be the #32 pick in that 6th round at that. 

Douglas already traded that pick for Nate Hairston.

18 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Darren Lee will be out of the league next year.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Why?  He played 15 snaps in the super bowl.  He can run and play specials.  Unless he is looking for real money, there should be a place for him in the NFL.  Remember, Brandon Copeland is apparently the 9th best player on the Jets.

Where is Waldo? 

TOT    SOLO    SACKS    TFL    PD    QB HTS    TD
Bashaud Breeland    7    6    0    2    1    0    0
Tyrann Mathieu    6    4    0    0    0    0    0
Daniel Sorensen    6    4    0    0    0    0    0
Kendall Fuller    4    3    0    0    2    0    0
Derrick Nnadi    4    3    0    1    0    0    0
Charvarius Ward    4    3    0    0    0    0    0
Damien Wilson    4    2    0    0    0    0    0
Anthony Hitchens    4    1    0    0.5    0    1    0
Byron Pringle    3    3    0    0    0    0    0
Reggie Ragland    2    1    0    0    0    0    0
Tanoh Kpassagnon    2    1    0    0    0    0    0
Ben Niemann    2    1    0    0    0    1    0
Terrell Suggs    2    0    0    0    0    1    0
Frank Clark    1    1    1    1    0    2    0
Sammy Watkins    1    1    0    0    0    0    0
Dorian O'Daniel    1    1    0    0    0    0    0
Tyreek Hill    1    1    0    0    0    0    0
Khalen Saunders    1    1    0    0    0    0    0
Rashad Fenton    1    1    0    0    0    0    0
Mike Pennel    1    0    0    0    1    1    0
Chris Jones    1    0    0    0    3    0    0
TEAM    58    38    1    4.5    7    6    0

How did the Chiefs win that deal?
They gave up a pick, could care less what it was for a player who contributed nothing to their team.
They didnt need to bring him to see if he could be salvaged, there was plenty of tape available that shows exactly what he is
And for bonus points paid him
If we are being honest darron Lee never lived up to his draft hype but he did improve each year with us. His last season with us was his best season as a pro.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

On 2/3/2020 at 9:28 AM, rangerous said:

was lee even on the field?  i don't think i heard his name called once.  mike pennel made some nice plays.  wasn't he an ex jet?

He watched the game at Chuckie Cheese with Leo, Geno Smith and a bunch of other ex Jet busts. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/4/2020 at 3:59 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

It's a net loss, not a net gain, when we spend a 1st in the (then) current season's draft and get back a late 6th in a future draft after the current season.

yep.  maybe lee wasn't worth a first round pick when he was drafted he did have some production at lb for the jets.  now, as you say, the position will need to be filled and it will take more than the 6th round draft pick they got back.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

yep.  maybe lee wasn't worth a first round pick when he was drafted he did have some production at lb for the jets.  now, as you say, the position will need to be filled and it will take more than the 6th round draft pick they got back.

Why would we need to replace Lee?  ILB is one of our few strengths.  

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

i'll give the guy some benefit of the doubt.  he was from ohio state and did have a lot of speed.  too bad his brain didn't work as fast as his feet.

I thought the way you were putting it you were talking in hindsight, where it seemed more definitive than maybe. With him and Williamson on board, they still felt a need to upgrade to the tune of a jaw-dropping $17MM/yr. That’s what teams pay when the cupboard is bare at the position (if even then). 

FFS after his best season by far, for all the Jets fans cooing over his wondrous progress and early PFF rankings, and with another cheap year on his orig 4 yr deal (plus a cheaper 5th yr option as an 11-32 pick), his value around the league was still just a late 6th round pick. There’s no maybe there ;).

But when the team had no QB, had Mo holding out with a contract impasse, had Fitz with a contract impasse with no agreement in sight (and locker room buddies lobbying for his re-signing), and with the knowledge the #1 pick was available (seeing how the Rams got to #1 from not that much higher than us), and with the team appropriately having no interest in drafting Lynch even if he fell to #20? I don’t see how even then it was a maybe to stand pat at #20 and take a shrimpy ILB/SS hybrid. Only makes it worse that he was a mental mama’s boy who wasn’t even a good LB.

They stayed at #20 and took him because Maccagnan figured he had an ace up his sleeve in Hackenberg (and then re-signing Fitz so they could ease the Hacker in). He probably felt at the time he could get his FQB in round 3 (before Houston spooked him by leapfrogging us in rd 2), opening up the first 2 rounds to other positions. 

So instead of getting the franchise moving with a QB in 2016? We got Darron Lee, Christian Hackenberg, Fitz Part II at $12MM, re-signed Mo for $37MM, McCown x2 for ~$17MM, and at least 2 extra seasons of misery for the fan base, including quasi-tanking the 2017 season. Worst of all, if either Goff or Wentz was taken in 2016 and was a terrible bust, we could have still been in the same Darnold sweepstakes in 2018, and bet we get more than a late 6th round offer for the 2016 bust QB. That ****ing moron lol.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I thought the way you were putting it you were talking in hindsight, where it seemed more definitive than maybe. With him and Williamson on board, they still felt a need to upgrade to the tune of a jaw-dropping $17MM/yr. That’s what teams pay when the cupboard is bare at the position (if even then). 

FFS after his best season by far, for all the Jets fans cooing over his wondrous progress and early PFF rankings, and with another cheap year on his orig 4 yr deal (plus a cheaper 5th yr option as an 11-32 pick), his value around the league was still just a late 6th round pick. There’s no maybe there ;).

But when the team had no QB, had Mo holding out with a contract impasse, had Fitz with a contract impasse with no agreement in sight (and locker room buddies lobbying for his re-signing), and with the knowledge the #1 pick was available (seeing how the Rams got to #1 from not that much higher than us), and with the team appropriately having no interest in drafting Lynch even if he fell to #20? I don’t see how even then it was a maybe to stand pat at #20 and take a shrimpy ILB/SS hybrid. Only makes it worse that he was a mental mama’s boy who wasn’t even a good LB.

They stayed at #20 and took him because Maccagnan figured he had an ace up his sleeve in Hackenberg (and then re-signing Fitz so they could ease the Hacker in). He probably felt at the time he could get his FQB in round 3 (before Houston spooked him by leapfrogging us in rd 2), opening up the first 2 rounds to other positions. 

So instead of getting the franchise moving with a QB in 2016? We got Darron Lee, Christian Hackenberg, Fitz Part II at $12MM, re-signed Mo for $37MM, McCown x2 for ~$17MM, and at least 2 extra seasons of misery for the fan base, including quasi-tanking the 2017 season. Worst of all, if either Goff or Wentz was taken in 2016 and was a terrible bust, we could have still been in the same Darnold sweepstakes in 2018, and bet we get more than a late 6th round offer for the 2016 bust QB. That ****ing moron lol.

so how do you really feel about mac?

• Haha 2