Maccagnan passed on Mahomes for Darnold, not Adams

Larz

1 hour ago, johnnyjet said:

Mahomes did not win the Super Bowl alone.  

you may have some issues. 

And he wouldn't have won a SB for the Jets.  Mahomes went to the perfect situation with a loaded team.  The Jet will never be a perfect situation and are far from loaded.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Well seeing as he traded up to #3 and the odds were there is no way he was going to get Danrold unless two teams head of him were monumentally  stupid this whole premise is stupid and inaccurate.

Also IF he fell in love with Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen and Allen it highlights all the more how bloody awful he was by doing nothing in that draft to fix the oline or get any legit weapons.

McCagnan was the worst GM this team has had by orders of magnitude.  Far far worse than Idzik.

I wouldn't  go as far as worse than Idzik. Idzil had i think 13 picks in the OBJ draft and came away with zero. 

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I wouldn't  go as far as worse than Idzik. Idzil had i think 13 picks in the OBJ draft and came away with zero. 

Agreed. Idzik was an awful as you can get.  He had all those picks and got nothing really.  I guess the only saving grace was Sheldon Richardson which we traded for a second rounder and used that second rounder to get Sam.  Besides that Idzik was probably the worst GM is history for any team lol 

3 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Macc sucked. Mahomes has the best coach for his skill set. He wouldn’t be that here.

This is a sad argument. What’s the use of drafting good players at all? Sorry but drafting good players=good team. “Well he wouldn’t have been as good here” not only is a throwaway argument but it doesn’t excuse piss poor team management. 

3 hours ago, Welp said:

He passed on Mahomes for a QB he had no clue if he would even have a chance to draft the following year?

Looks like someone wants back in the league next year and is working every media contact he has left

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, Larz said:

Maccagnan scouted 2 QB draft classes at the same time.

Probably should've focused on one at a time given how bad he was at even that.

15 hours ago, Larz said:

As Saquon Barkley came off the board at 2, Maccagnan leaned over to Heimerdinger, sitting to his left, and said, “We … we … he just fell to us.” The GM then got up and walked around the front table in the war room, and over to Bowles and owner Christopher Johnson, who were seated to his right, so he could whisper to them, “Hey, this is not what we expected. I’m going to draft Sam Darnold here. You guys OK with that?”

Not the words of a man whose years-long Machiavellian plan was finally coming to fruition. More like a thunderstruck deer in headlights who can't believe the dump truck swerved at the last moment before flattening him.

15 hours ago, Larz said:

When the Jets dealt up to the No. 3 spot in the draft in March, they’d identified three quarterbacks—Darnold, Mayfield, and UCLA’s Josh Rosen—they were good with. This was better than that.

Was painfully obvious he was never going to go for Allen--too reminiscent of Hackenberg from a cursory level of understanding. We were on a collision course with Josh "Most Punchable Face in the NFL" Rosen the moment Browns took Mayfield. Thank God for Dave Gettleman.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Mac fell in love with hack so not sure I can give him credit for Sam - that was luck

I actually know for a fact that it was Bates who fell for Hack. Bates wasn't with the team at that point, Heimerdinger made a phone call to Bates and that was his recommendation. This is the reason Bates was brought in in 2017, they wanted to try and make Hack work before investing in another QB.

Mac ultimately made the pick but it was Bates/Heimerdinger that pounded the table for Hack.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I actually know for a fact that it was Bates who fell for Hack. Bates wasn't with the team at that point, Heimerdinger made a phone call to Bates and that was his recommendation. This is the reason Bates was brought in in 2017, they wanted to try and make Hack work before investing in another QB.

Mac ultimately made the pick but it was Bates/Heimerdinger that pounded the table for Hack.

Which is funny, because Bates was a fan of Mahomes as well. In fact Mahomes wanted to hire Bates as his private QB coach in offseason leading up to the draft before the Jets hired him

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Mac mistake was not laying low and eying on Josh Allen. Josh Allen and 3 second round picks would have been better to work with, but knowing him he would of blew the picks.

If Jets stayed put we'd be in the middle of a huge board civil war right now between the "Rosenites" and the "Rosen haters."

Would make the old Geno debate appear peaceable.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

This is absolute garbage, especially given that most people thought Darnold would be gone when they made trade for #3.

It's Macc calling in every favor he has left to make him palatable for an(y) NFL position next season.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, jgb said:

This is a sad argument. What’s the use of drafting good players at all? Sorry but drafting good players=good team. “Well he wouldn’t have been as good here” not only is a throwaway argument but it doesn’t excuse piss poor team management. 

Looks like someone wants back in the league next year and is working every media contact he has left

Poor team management is why the lament of Mahomes is misguided. I think Mahomes has insane talent and it would’ve been worth taking a flyer on him but he’d be shell shocked behind the talent Macc put in front of him. Macc’s inability to acquire talent and Bowles’s failure to understand how to coach would’ve put Mahomes in position to fail. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Poor team management is why the lament of Mahomes is misguided. I think Mahomes has insane talent and it would’ve been worth taking a flyer on him but he’d be shell shocked behind the talent Macc put in front of him. Macc’s inability to acquire talent and Bowles’s failure to understand how to coach would’ve put Mahomes in position to fail. 

Sad fact is if Macc drafted Mahomes, he and Bowles would probably still be here as Jets became a perennial 8 or 9 win team.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

This is absolute garbage, especially given that most people thought Darnold would be gone when they made trade for #3.

Biggest question mark that I have is why didn't the Giants put the screws to us and force us to trade up to #2?

And if they tried and Macc wasn't interested, that's even more damning because it means he had Darnold and Rosen basically even.

• Upvote 1

the article is dated 2018.  it's really old news.  maybe mac was waiting on darnold's class maybe not.  in the end he had to rely on bonehead drafting by the browns and giants to draft darnold.  and even that was at the cost of 2 second rounders.  not exactly a great plan.  as for mahomes, imo it's doubtful he would've had the same success with the jets.  mac was still drafting dline and reaching on players in the 4th+ rounds.  but he's a heck of a qb and fun to watch.  good for the chief.  it's also nice a former afl team won (besides the patsies).

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Missing Mahomes, the next Brady, was pretty bad.  But in retrospect he was a risk, and other teams passed on him too.  He would not have been good on the Jets   There was no way we could have coached or supported him  

I am more worked up about Polite, Darron, Adarius, Hansen, Donahue passing on Kittle, Godwin, Whitehair, Deion Jones.  Many more in both columns  

But the result was the same.  Mac is gone, and out of football forever.  

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

Watson is missing the clutch gene and Mahomes just became the luckiest Super Bowl MVP in NFL history.

I'll take Darnold, thanks.  No, he's not Mahomes, but he's Top 3 in the AFC and damn if that doesn't feel good right now.

SAR I

You’re such a dork, but it’s growing on me. Might as well. I like Darnold too. 

• Haha 1