So it’s official

Lupz27

4 hours ago, jgb said:

Good weapons and line definitely help but why don't we ever hear the flip side? What would these weapons look like on the Browns or Bengals?

Good QBs elevate weaponz. Weaponz bring out the best in good QBs. They are symbiotic, although I still think the QB has more influence on the weapons than the other way around.

Fair point. It irritates me that the argument is Mahomes would be somewhat pedestrian without those weaponz. Watching him play, really watching, you can appreciate he's a generational talent. Seems insignificant, but while mounting the KC comeback he scrambled and went out of bounds. In one fluid motion he sprinted back to the huddle because he was fully aware that the clock wouldn't stop (there was like 10:00 left I think). That's excellent awareness in the heat of the moment. Naturally, we all know about his arm and ability to make plays with his legs, but it's that kind of thought process, coupled with his ability to see the entire field, that just makes him special. Anyone arguing otherwise is dumb.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jetworks said:

Fair point. It irritates me that the argument is Mahomes would be somewhat pedestrian without those weaponz. Watching him play, really watching, you can appreciate he's a generational talent. Seems insignificant, but while mounting the KC comeback he scrambled and went out of bounds. In one fluid motion he sprinted back to the huddle because he was fully aware that the clock wouldn't stop (there was like 10:00 left I think). That's excellent awareness in the heat of the moment. Naturally, we all know about his arm and ability to make plays with his legs, but it's that kind of thought process, coupled with his ability to see the entire field, that just makes him special. Anyone arguing otherwise is dumb.

The problem is that if you accept the "that guy would not be good in that situation," then you must accept that no player can ever be evaluated. Is it the situation or the player? But that's exactly what GMs and evaluators are paid to do. Extrapolate how a player would play in a different situation.

This is why I have the perfect amateur player evaluation model: 

-good players play good

-bad players play bad

No evaluation model is perfect but I can live with "missing" the occasional Jared Goff to avoid all the Geno Smiths. 

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

I wish I had the drugs you're all apparently using.

On the bright side, the "2nd best QB in the AFC" should be good enough to win 10 games in 2020 no matter what Douglas does.

So at least there is that.

Think of it this way, and take Mahomes out of the conversation for obvious reasons:

Which current AFC quarterback do you see as having the potential to get his team to the Super Bowl as a future franchise quarterback?:

Darnold
Allen
Mayfield
Jackson
Watson

Allen and Jackson flash but are that "running quarterback" faux dual threat, we've seen RGIII before, they don't win anything.  Worse, they get hurt and set their franchises back years.  Watson seems to have hit his peak, we've seen enough to make the call, he isn't a playoff quarterback, he's like Chad Pennington, stat compiler, Mr. November.  Mayfield?  Don't like what we've seen so far.

Darnold?  He was a baby in his first year, defensive head coach, can't really make the call but passed the eye test.  Second year, hit with as many rocks and arrows as possible, beat up roster, mono, new playbook, out of sync with his HC, yet figures it out, makes half-season adjustments and finishes very strong.

It's a case of seeing a higher ceiling for Darnold than we've already seen whereas I think we already know what to expect from the rest on that list (and the tired old veterans) and it's not enough.  Hence the reason I claim Sam as the #2 QB in the AFC.

SAR I

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

And considering that TB12 and Big Ben are near the end of their careers, it really only puts Mahomes, Lamar Jackson and Deshaun Watson ahead for the long-term.  And to be honest, I wouldn't trade Sam for either LJ or DW.  

There you go.

Tom and Ben will of course open 7-1 if they remain with the Pats and Steelers, but that's where it ends, they run out of gas very quickly and put up a dud in the second half.  Old QB's, we've seen that show many times before.  I pray for Jets at Patriots, Week 17, playoffs on the line.  We'll put Brady down for good ourselves.

Jackson isn't a quarterback.  Great option RB, but that dies quickly, the RGIII Mike Vick genre never works.  Watson has hit his ceiling and it's not good enough.  Allen I put here out of respect to Sam as he's his friend, but he's not a franchise quarterback.

And that leaves Sam.  He is who we were told he is.  Young, but all the tools, smart, just needs to be in a situation where he can succeed.  So let's build that.

SAR I 

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

There you go.

Tom and Ben will of course open 7-1 if they remain with the Pats and Steelers, but that's where it ends, they run out of gas very quickly and put up a dud in the second half.  Old QB's, we've seen that show many times before.  I pray for Jets at Patriots, Week 17, playoffs on the line.  We'll put Brady down for good ourselves.

Jackson isn't a quarterback.  Great option RB, but that dies quickly, the RGIII Mike Vick genre never works.  Watson has hit his ceiling and it's not good enough.  Allen I put here out of respect to Sam as he's his friend, but he's not a franchise quarterback.

And that leaves Sam.  He is who we were told he is.  Young, but all the tools, smart, just needs to be in a situation where he can succeed.  So let's build that.

SAR I 

Sam is the reason I haven't been this optimistic about the Jets since Parcells.  It really stinks though that we wasted last offseason with Macc (rather than Joe D) because the clock is ticking on Sam's rookie contract. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

Mahomes best qb in the league. That being said you be lucky to have him look like he did the 1st 2.5 quarters behind the jets o line 

Yes he is, but he gets rattled when he's getting pressure in his face or getting knocked down and he didnt look so good when Tyreek Hill and Sammy Watkins were out vs the Colts at home - only managed 2 FGs and one TD.  Wonder if Darnold had the Chiefs Oline as well as Watkins, Hardman, Kelce and Hill how much different his performance would be. 

mahomes ran a 4.80 and darnold ran a 4.85 in the 40 during their combine drills.  imo darnold is more similar to mahomes than people may think.  both are very accurate and throw well on the run.  both shake off bad plays and come right back.  and both can run at times.  i didn't see mahomes break off any long gainers by design in the sb.  when he ran, he ran because his receivers were covered.  darnold can do the same thing.  at times he waits too long for his receivers when running for a first down will work just as well.  and both qb's don't have prototypical passing styles.  right now mahomes is better.  he has been putting up some darn good numbers for a pretty long time.  of course he also has a better oline and wr's.

the bottom line the jet fans shouldn't be so upset at having darnold even though they could have had mahomes.