Robert Saleh’s D gave up 21 points in 9 minutes?

The 49ers were led by the defense all season. They then crumbled at the most crucial time of the year. After holding the Chiefs to 10 points for over 3 quarters of the game they gave up three touchdowns in less than 10 minutes. Yes, Kyle Shanahan‘s offense got stuck in the mud at the end but man, Saleh’s D really fell apart when it mattered most.  

• Upvote 1

The Chiefs have shown a consistent pattern this playoffs of starting slow, then finding their groove.  The problem for their opponents is, once they find their groove, they can score 21 points in 5 minutes without breaking a sweat.  This is the closest thing we've seen to the Rams 'Greatest Show on Turf'.  And just think for a moment what it would look like if Kareem Hunt were still on the team.  As long as they keep a good OL in front of Mahomes, this is going to be a frightening team to play against.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

57 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The 49ers were led by the defense all season. They then crumbled at the most crucial time of the year. After holding the Chiefs to 10 points for over 3 quarters of the game they gave up three touchdowns in less than 10 minutes. Yes, Kyle Shanahan‘s offense got stuck in the mud at the end but man, Saleh’s D really fell apart when it mattered most.  

Rex Ryan?

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

49'ers would have won if they only had Jamal Adams?

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

All the best Super Bowl teams were build around their Strong Safeties.

Everyone knows this.

With the best Strong Safety and the 2nd best QB in the AFC, how can we win less than 12 in 2020?  

Man, exciting times.

True,the Steelers haven't sniffed the Super Bowl since Polamalu retired.?

• Upvote 2

In fairness to the 49ers D, the way the game was called had a much more negative impact on the 49ers than it did on the Chiefs.  There were no offensive holding calls in yesterdays game.  On the critical 3rd and 15 with the Chiefs down 10, Bosa was clearly held which allowed the time for Mahomes to make the pass to Hill.  

The Pats won their first SB when the refs allowed the Pats defensive backs to hold the Rams WR.  The Rams adjusted a little too late.  The Rams of course were built on their WR speed.  Huge impact on the game.

SF is built on their defensive front.  By allowing the OL's of both teams to hold, it clearly favored KC.  

Games are officiated differently but usually teams adjust and it's not a big factor.  In this case and in the Rams case the way the games were officiated helped take away the primary strength of the lossing teams.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

25 minutes ago, Warfish said:

All the best Super Bowl teams were build around their Strong Safeties.

Everyone knows this.

With the best Strong Safety and the 2nd best QB in the AFC, how can we win less than 12 in 2020?  

Man, exciting times.

19 minutes ago, section314 said:

True,the Steelers haven't sniffed the Super Bowl since Polamalu retired.?

The light.

It has been seen.  Safeties matter. Just 10 months ago.....

1927743012_ScreenShot2020-02-03at8_51_45AM.png.9ba30a2d6d908a8010cd2c613e094a8d.png

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The light.

1927743012_ScreenShot2020-02-03at8_51_45AM.png.9ba30a2d6d908a8010cd2c613e094a8d.png

Remember when Macc drafted two safeties in a row during an off season with a plethora of pro-bowl safeties available as FAs?

Amazing memories.

I still think Matthieu would've been a Jet if he hadn't knocked up Bowles' daughter. No way weak noodle Bowles could've handled that situation. Imagine disciplining Matthieu "you're suspending me? Cool, coach. I'll be at your daughter's place if you need me."

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The light.

When I think of the Chiefs, I know the first thing that comes to mind is their powerful 17th ranked Defense led by Mathieu. 

Clearly he is the reason they won the Super Bowl last night. Those 6 tackles really should have earned him the MVP tbqh.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

When I think of the Chiefs, I know the first thing that comes to mind is their powerful 17th ranked Defense led by Mathieu. 

Clearly he is the reason they won the Super Bowl last night. Those 6 tackles really should have earned him the MVP tbqh.

Nah.  That's crazy talk.  The real MVPs were the KC OLinemen holding Nick Bosa.  They really showed that OLine is more important than Safeties.  I forget their names but they did a great job last night.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Nah.  That's crazy talk.  The real MVPs were the KC OLinemen holding Nick Bosa.  They really showed that OLine is more important than Safeties.  I forget their names but they did a great job last night.

An entire game without 1 holding call on either team? I thought I was watching the Patriots, another team that can go 3 playoff games in a row without a holding call. Total advantage goes to the passing team & the QB that can move & that QB was Mahomes. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mathieu is a FS/CB hybrid.  Adams is a SS/LB hybrid.  They might as well be playing a completely different position.

Oh, no doubt.  Completely different.  Like Lamar Jackson is a RB/Long snapper hybrid and Harrison Butker is a Punter/Soccer player hybrid.  It's like completely and totally different. :P

It's a miracle Jamal even had enough reps to get ranked in coverage!

The New York Jets' secondary was led by dynamic safety Jamal Adams, who earned the seventh-highest coverage grade (87.3) among safeties to go along with his position-leading 90.2 pass-rush grade. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Leave it to @Warfish.  Only took until the 6th post.  Some people are just infatuated with our Pro Bowl Safety and need to talk about him in every thread. :P 

The Adams thing is interesting. 

He is about as big of a lightning rod as I can remember any non-Jets QB being among fans. 

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

We definitely needed to bring up Jamal Adams in this thread. 

So Honey Badger jumping around with excitement during a SUPER BOWL is annoying but Adams doing his public performance art during worthless games in lost seasons isn't self-aggrandizing or annoying at all. OK.

10 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Oh, no doubt.  Completely different.  Like Lamar Jackson is a RB/Long snapper hybrid and Harrison Butker is a Punter/Soccer player hybrid.  It's like completely and totally different. :P

It's a miracle Jamal even had enough reps to get ranked in coverage!

lol.  Come on man.  For years, Adams supporters have made excuses for why he doesn't get INT's.  If Jamal isn't playing the Safety position completely differently than someone like the Honey Badger, then what is he doing out there?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The Adams thing is interesting. 

He is about as big of a lightning rod as I can remember any non-Jets QB being among fans. 

Yup.  Very divisive....both for and against.  It's odd.  Some people see him as the savior of the team, the face of the franchise while others dislike him more than they do Tom Brady.  Just weird.

I think the closest thing I can remember is Chad Pennington.  Back in the JI days I remember the Penningtologists (devout Chad lovers) and the ACM (Anti Chad Militia).  Yes, it really was that bad.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Yep, that’s definitely what I think

So Honey Badger jumping around with excitement during a SUPER BOWL is annoying but Adams doing his public performance art during meaningless games in lost seasons isn't self-aggrandizing or annoying at all. OK.

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Leave it to @Warfish.  Only took until the 6th post.  Some people are just infatuated with our Pro Bowl Safety and need to talk about him in every thread. :P 

Well, he is the best player (on Defense) in Jets History.....shouldn't he be a regular part of our conversations?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

So Honey Badger jumping around with excitement during a SUPER BOWL is annoying but Adams doing his public performance art during worthless games in lost seasons isn't self-aggrandizing or annoying at all. OK.

When did I ever bring up how I felt about Adams dancing? Why are you interjecting Adams into this discussion?

You have a pretty big a hard on for him, huh? 

Up 20-10, 3rd & 15 with 7 minutes remaining - perhaps Saleh should've deployed a zero blitz. If it works KC punts, perhaps giving SF just enough of an edge to close it out. Or not, maybe SF offense continues sputtering and KC still pulls it out. 

Interesting analysis on zero blitz:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2019/case-zero-blitz

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Well, he is the best player (on Defense) in Jets History.....shouldn't he be a regular part of our conversations?

I think Jamal is great and am happy it looks like we won't be trading him for scratch-offs (draft picks). What is amusing is the total double standard though when it comes to players of other teams that do the same thing. 

Psst... I know this is tough to hear but players have much less loyalty to their team as fans do. Many have zero.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mathieu is a FS/CB hybrid.  Adams is a SS/LB hybrid.  They might as well be playing a completely different position.

Troy Polamalu was probably best described as a FS/CB/SS/LB hybrid.  But he did a lot of what we ask Adams to do.  And he made the HoF doing it while helping his team win 2 SBs.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

When did I ever bring up how I felt about Adams dancing? Why are you interjecting Adams into this discussion?

You have a pretty big a hard on for him, huh? 

How do you feel about Adams dancing? If you also think it's annoying, then I'll admit I had you pegged wrong.

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Yup.  Very divisive....both for and against.  It's odd.  Some people see him as the savior of the team, the face of the franchise while others dislike him more than they do Tom Brady.  Just weird.

I think the closest thing I can remember is Chad Pennington.  Back in the JI days I remember the Penningtologists (devout Chad lovers) and the ACM (Anti Chad Militia).  Yes, it really was that bad.

I can think of plenty of rabid debate over Jets QBs - Pennington, Sanchez, Geno, Darnold, etc.

But the Adams stuff is interesting because of the position.