Robert Saleh’s D gave up 21 points in 9 minutes?

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I can think of plenty of rabid debate over Jets QBs - Pennington, Sanchez, Geno, Darnold, etc.

But the Adams stuff is interesting because of the position. 

It's a stain on Jets fandom that there was ever a pro-Geno camp.

• Haha 3

On 2/3/2020 at 10:52 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

lol.  Come on man.  For years, Adams supporters have made excuses for why he doesn't get INT's.  If Jamal isn't playing the Safety position completely differently than someone like the Honey Badger, then what is he doing out there?

Wait. Aren't we all Adams supporters?   I mean, we're Jets fans right?  Don't we want him making plays, being Top 10 in coverage (according to PFF), getting sacks and forcing fumbles, making consecutive Pro Bowls, etc.?  He doesn't get a lot of INTs when Williams decides to play him at the LOS so often I guess.  Maybe he'd be more popular here if he was roaming around in zone coverage and had Jimmy G chucking a ball into his waiting hands like Breeland got last night?  Does fielding an INT like it was a punt suddenly pad an INT count enough to earn your "support"?  :P

All I know is he's a very good player, he's not perfect, but he's the best we have and the first All Pro we've seen from the Jets in a decade.  Neither you nor I will decide whether he's here longterm or ends up being traded.  All I can do is root for the guy to be the best he can be and hope he leads to this team getting better (whether as a Jet or as a valuable piece that gets the Jets better players).

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Yup.  Very divisive....both for and against.  It's odd.  Some people see him as the savior of the team, the face of the franchise while others dislike him more than they do Tom Brady.  Just weird.

I think the closest thing I can remember is Chad Pennington.  Back in the JI days I remember the Penningtologists (devout Chad lovers) and the ACM (Anti Chad Militia).  Yes, it really was that bad.

The bad part being the Penningtologists, right?  Totally agree.

• Haha 1

Just now, jgb said:

How do you feel about Adams dancing? If you also think it's annoying, then I'll admit I had you pegged wrong.

The truth is, players/coaches dancing don’t actually annoy me. I think guys should be allowed to show their enthusiasm and I think if opposing teams don’t like it they should just stop them from having anything to celebrate on the field. 

As for last night, I just thought Saleh had a goofy look on his face and my wife thought he looked like a cokehead and we were laughing at him all night. That’s all.

You can rest easy. I’m not defending the honor or our terrorist all pro safety in any way, shape, or form. I apologize if I offended you. Jamal’s treachery will be dealt with soon enough, good sir. 

HAIL SATAN 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The truth is, players/coaches dancing don’t actually annoy me. I think guys should be allowed to show their enthusiasm and I think if opposing teams don’t like it they should just stop them from having anything to celebrate on the field. 

As for last night, I just thought Saleh had a goofy look on his face and my wife thought he looked like a cokehead and we were laughing at him all night. That’s all.

You can rest easy. I’m not defending the honor or our terrorist all pro safety in any way, shape, or form. I apologize if I offended you. Jamal’s treachery will be dealt with soon enough, good sir. 

HAIL SATAN 

Thought you were talking about Honey Badger, not Saleh. So I can understand your confusion about why I interjected Jamal.

PS: I like Jamal. I just like consistency more.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

When I think of the Chiefs, I know the first thing that comes to mind is their powerful 17th ranked Defense led by Mathieu. 

Clearly he is the reason they won the Super Bowl last night. Those 6 tackles really should have earned him the MVP tbqh.

It was not funny the first time but the 10 th time is getting nauseating. If you want Tom Shane to rep you just ask him I'm sure he can help

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

A good defense cannot contain a good offense for the entire game when there are no holding calls and a QB has free reign to make plays all day.  My hot take on the SB. 

Despite all of that, if Garoppolo hits Sanders on that late bomb, the Niners win the game, and THAT is where an elite QB is needed - to connect on those pressure throws. Garoppolo isn't elite.  Mahomes is.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

It was not funny the first time but the 10 th time is getting nauseating. If you want Tom Shane to rep you just ask him I'm sure he can help

I'm sorry you're annoyed.  But sadly, I think you're just going to have to live with it.  Or put me on ignore, if you prefer.

4 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

A good defense cannot contain a good offense for the entire game when there are no holding calls and a QB has free reign to make plays all day.  My hot take on the SB. 

Despite all of that, if Garoppolo hits Sanders on that late bomb, the Niners win the game, and THAT is where an elite QB is needed - to connect on those pressure throws. Garoppolo isn't elite.  Mahomes is.  

How completely different is today's conversation in the media, on ESPN, on this board if Garoppolo hits Sanders for a TD there and the 49ers hold on to win 27-24?

Is the thesis suddenly back to run the ball, play great D, and have a "good enough" QB who can make the occasional throw when needed?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Biggs said:

In fairness to the 49ers D, the way the game was called had a much more negative impact on the 49ers than it did on the Chiefs.  There were no offensive holding calls in yesterdays game.  On the critical 3rd and 15 with the Chiefs down 10, Bosa was clearly held which allowed the time for Mahomes to make the pass to Hill.  

The Pats won their first SB when the refs allowed the Pats defensive backs to hold the Rams WR.  The Rams adjusted a little too late.  The Rams of course were built on their WR speed.  Huge impact on the game.

SF is built on their defensive front.  By allowing the OL's of both teams to hold, it clearly favored KC.  

Games are officiated differently but usually teams adjust and it's not a big factor.  In this case and in the Rams case the way the games were officiated helped take away the primary strength of the lossing teams.  

THis is what’s starting to sour me on  football 

13 hours ago, Biggs said:

In fairness to the 49ers D, the way the game was called had a much more negative impact on the 49ers than it did on the Chiefs.  There were no offensive holding calls in yesterdays game.  On the critical 3rd and 15 with the Chiefs down 10, Bosa was clearly held which allowed the time for Mahomes to make the pass to Hill.  

The Pats won their first SB when the refs allowed the Pats defensive backs to hold the Rams WR.  The Rams adjusted a little too late.  The Rams of course were built on their WR speed.  Huge impact on the game.

SF is built on their defensive front.  By allowing the OL's of both teams to hold, it clearly favored KC.  

Games are officiated differently but usually teams adjust and it's not a big factor.  In this case and in the Rams case the way the games were officiated helped take away the primary strength of the lossing teams.  

THis is what’s starting to sour me on  football 

I agree with both of you, and you see it all the time. In the middle of the 4th quarter, I told my son that the refs were going to take over and the Chiefs would win this game. He laughed at me and said no way. He hasn't seen these fixed or rigged games as many times as I have. Well we all know what happened, the calls took the game away from the 9ers. Blatant calls, the Chiefs defense was offsides and no call, ref looking right at him. I am getting to the point now that it is getting real hard to watch these games. If they aren't fixed then I can't explain these refs miss real penalties, then throw a flag when there is no penalty. I don't want to hear they are only human, these mistakes are clearly blatant. It seems now that during the regular season, I usually just watch the Jets games, and I went to 2 of them. Well at least the league will send the 9ers an apology letter as to the incorrect or no calls. That should make them feel better.

giphy.gif

17 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Wait. Aren't we all Adams supporters?   I mean, we're Jets fans right?  Don't we want him making plays, being Top 10 in coverage (according to PFF), getting sacks and forcing fumbles, making consecutive Pro Bowls, etc.?  He doesn't get a lot of INTs when Williams decides to play him at the LOS so often I guess.  Maybe he'd be more popular here if he was roaming around in zone coverage and had Jimmy G chucking a ball into his waiting hands like Breeland got last night?  Does fielding an INT like it was a punt suddenly pad an INT count enough to earn your "support"?  :P

All I know is he's a very good player, he's not perfect, but he's the best we have and the first All Pro we've seen from the Jets in a decade.  Neither you nor I will decide whether he's here longterm or ends up being trading.  All I can do is root for the guy to be the best he can be and hope he leads to this team getting better (whether as a Jet or as a valuable piece that gets the Jets better players).

Find an edge guy (Ngokeou), a CB, and CJ & Adams on the field the defense can be pretty, pretty, pretty good. Doesn't have to be great if we can give Sam time & weapons. 

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

Find an edge guy (Ngokeou), a CB, and CJ & Adams on the field the defense can be pretty, pretty, pretty good. Doesn't have to be great if we can give Sam time & weapons. 

I know we're very focused on OLine and WRs in both FA and the Draft but I think if the Jets can find a capable (doesn't mean great) CB and an upgrade at the Edge (Ngokoue would be a BIG upgrade) then this Defense would be ready to roll into 2020.  I'd assume the Jets bring back Jordan Jenkins (not a safe assumption), but a team with CJ Mosley, Jamal Adams, Yannick Ngokoue, Jordan Jenkins, Maye, a 2nd year Quinnen Williams and Bless Austin, and some solid role players like Williamson/Hewitt/Anderson/Phillips/etc. is more than enough to keep this Defense above average under Gregg Williams.

Based on the Jets draft positioning and player availability I'm not really sure we'll be able to get high quality prospects at either Edge or CB unless the Jets reach for a player.

23 hours ago, Warfish said:

All the best Super Bowl teams were built around their Strong Safeties.

Everyone knows this.

With the best Strong Safety and the 2nd best QB in the AFC, how can we win less than 12 in 2020?  

Man, exciting times.

Youre confusing building around a S and adding a really good player to their D.

And why add Sam into it for no reason? 

Just want tweak the fanbase today? ?

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, jgb said:

I think Jamal is great and am happy it looks like we won't be trading him for scratch-offs (draft picks). What is amusing is the total double standard though when it comes to players of other teams that do the same thing. 

Psst... I know this is tough to hear but players have much less loyalty to their team as fans do. Many have zero.

Wait, fans of the Jets have different standards for players on their teams vs players for other teams you say?

Damn, really?

Come on, its what all fanbases do

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Wait, fans of the Jets have different standards for players on their teams vs players for other teams you say?

Damn, really?

Come on, its what all fanbases do

All people pick their nose too but it's still gross.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Wait. Aren't we all Adams supporters?   I mean, we're Jets fans right?  Don't we want him making plays, being Top 10 in coverage (according to PFF), getting sacks and forcing fumbles, making consecutive Pro Bowls, etc.?

Yes but there are some lunatics here who seem to love Jamal over the Jets' best interests.

There was actually a poster who said "I'd rather win with Jamal".  As if the concept that the team might actually be better by converting Jamal's future $16M+ contract into picks and Offensive Linemen couldn't possibly make the team better.  

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes but there are some lunatics here who seem to love Jamal over the Jets' best interests.

There was actually a poster who said "I'd rather win with Jamal".  As if the concept that the team might actually be better by converting Jamal's future $16M+ contract into picks and Offensive Linemen couldn't possibly make the team better.  

No there are "lunatics" out here who don't agree with you that you trade a really good player for a wing and a prayer.  The go on and on and on and on and on and then more trying to convince all that youre right.  

Because you know, the unknown is clearly better than the known.  

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Youre confusing building around a S and adding a really good player to their D.

And why add Sam into it for no reason? 

Just want tweak the fanbase today? ?

When I read the Board, I see two general sentiments:

1. Adams is super duper awesome and we should keep him and build around him.

2. Sam is super duper awesome, the 2nd best QB in the AFC according to more than just SAR, and can win without great talent because he is Brett Favre reborn.

Ok.  If thats what the fanbase feels, fine.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In Joe We Trust.

Whether we keep Jamal or not, I have to hope that we have a GM who will make the right decisions.  Put it this way....Jamal is pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things.  The Jets will succeed longterm (the next 4+ years) or not because of what Sam Darnold does at QB and how well Joe Douglas acquires talent.  The Patriots continued to win after Chandler Jones left.  The Chiefs won their first Super Bowl after signing an expensive Tyrann Mathieu.  Neither of those things directly correlate with a championship as much as having Tom Brady and a well run organization.....and having Patrick Mahomes and a well run organization.

Personally, I think the Jets will be what they'll be with or without Jamal.  If they're a 10-win team in 2022, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they had Adams on a longterm deal at that point or had traded him for some other pieces.

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

When I read the Board, I see two general sentiments:

1. Adams is super duper awesome and we should keep him and build around him.

2. Sam is super duper awesome, the 2nd best QB in the AFC according to more than just SAR, and can win without great talent because he is Brett Favre reborn.

Ok.  If thats what the fanbase feels, fine.

Actually on a whole I don't see this in general for either player.

Not in general.  

Wel maybe for Adams, because he is super duper awesome.  Don't know of anyone who thinks any one player outside of QB who you build and entire team around.

Just my observation.  

19 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The difference in the game was that the Niner D had to stop Kelce, Hill, Watkins and Williams playing with a QB adept at making plays off schedule. While the Chiefs had to stop who? (Anyone?) playing with a QB for whom the play is essentially over if he does not throw to his second option.

The difference in the game was the refs called offensive pass interference on a big play for SF and didn't call offensive holding on the critical 3rd and 15 play for the Chiefs.  

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

The difference in the game was the refs called offensive pass interference on a big play for SF and didn't call offensive holding on the critical 3rd and 15 play for the Chiefs.  

I guarantee you that the Niner coaches are not breaking down the film and concluding: "We had the more talented team and the better game plan and only lost because of bad officiating".

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

On 2/3/2020 at 1:31 PM, ChuckkieB said:

the niners lost the game before that bomb.  they lost when they failed to move the chains after the second mahomes pick.  shanahan made some bad play calls and the niners didn't execute.  imo garapollo had no chance on that bomb.  he was rattled by the pass rush on the previous couple of series and rushed his throw.

On 2/5/2020 at 3:08 PM, Sonny Werblin said:

The difference in the game was that the Niner D had to stop Kelce, Hill, Watkins and Williams playing with a QB adept at making plays off schedule. While the Chiefs had to stop who? (Anyone?) playing with a QB for whom the play is essentially over if he does not throw to his second option.

This has been a bit overstated. This year Jimmy G had some great games in one what was essentially his first full season as a starter. See: the game at New Orleans as one prime example.