Can Chiefs be a Dynasty? 49ers downhill from here?

Zachtomims47

We already know Jets suck, should've taken Mahomes/Watson, yada yada...

So what are we thinking happens with these two teams? 

Chiefs look to be set up for a while, especially with a QB like Mahomes only in his 3rd year. Could hold them back once they pay him a billion dollars but rest of the team I think is signed until at least 2022 (Kelce, Clark, Hill, Fisher, Schwartz). Plus that division is kind of weak.

49ers I feel like will have a Superbowl hangover. That division is tough and will only get better. But I do think Shanahan is one of the best coaches in the NFL. Add another draft class and smart free agent moves and they could be back. 

49ers are built around young, dominant lines on both sides.  As long as they have that, they will be very competitive.  Samuel looks like the real deal at WR so with Kittle, they have weapons.  Sherman is toast.  They need to get a young CB in there clearly.  But honestly, I think the biggest question there is Jimmy G.  He's good when he has protection.  But as soon as things get dicey, he seems to turn stupid.  KC rushed 6 in the 4th quarter and he threw maybe the worst pass in SB history.  They need to figure that out.

• Upvote 2

I saw a stat, I believe the 49ers have added 47 players on their current roster since John Lynch took over.

That is an amazing roster turnover, led by someone who clearly knows what he is doing.   I see no reason (other than health) the 49ers can't be competitive for 2-3 more years.   That being said, their division is very tough, so next year they could easily go to 10-6.

Don't forget, they are 1 yard away from being a WC instead of the #2 seed.

Chiefs could repeat - Reid sounds like he is ready to go (no retirement thoughts) and there is plenty of young talent on the team, plus a draft 

49'ers will need to start grooming a new LT and some CB help (probably time to move Sherman to FS) also need to see if Jimmy can recover from that 4th quarter, brutal

20 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

We already know Jets suck, should've taken Mahomes/Watson, yada yada...

So what are we thinking happens with these two teams? 

Chiefs look to be set up for a while, especially with a QB like Mahomes only in his 3rd year. Could hold them back once they pay him a billion dollars but rest of the team I think is signed until at least 2022 (Kelce, Clark, Hill, Fisher, Schwartz). Plus that division is kind of weak.

49ers I feel like will have a Superbowl hangover. That division is tough and will only get better. But I do think Shanahan is one of the best coaches in the NFL. Add another draft class and smart free agent moves and they could be back. 

The teams that stay good for a long time are those with great QB's. As long as Mahommes is healthy the Chiefs will be a factor, SF will have a hard time keeping it's team together for any sustained success unless Garropolo gets a lot better.

Definitely. 

Dynasties are created when you have a GM/HC combo that can last. A GM who can consistently find talent year in and year out and a HC who can consistently coach them up. Pat Mahomes is currently on the quick route to becoming a living legend. KC has a great organization from top to bottom and the kind of QB to lead them into the final four wax hand every year just like Brady has for NE. 9ers are just a bit different to me in that regard because I just don’t believe in Jimmy G nearly as much as Mahomes. He doesn’t seem to have that killer instinct and he folded on his one and only drive to take the game over by 3 in the last 1:45 left on the game. At some point the 49ers May replace him but easily can still be a consistent winner and playoff contender for years and years since the GM/HC combo works really well.

What separates teams who are consistent playoff contenders each year and teams that are true dynasties is easily championship rings. Dynasties in football don’t come around often at all because it’s so hard to win or even get to the super bowl. Lots of luck, circumstance and ect are involved every year. KC has the kind of QB, HC and GM to make that happen though.

2 hours ago, Drums said:

Those were two great football teams and I don’t see that changing next year. 

Agreed.  Good coaching, young QBs, solid rosters should keep both teams competitive in the coming years.  I don't know their Cap situations but assuming they can each retain key personnel they should be good.  For the 49ers, Bosa will be on a rookie deal for a while, Kittle will need to be paid very soon (possibly in the next couple months), but Jimmy G just finished year 2 of his deal so I think the 49ers will be in good shape.  They'll need to replace Richard Sherman soon.

The Chiefs could be in a slightly tougher spot.  They added some big  money guys on D to push them over the top (and it worked).  Frank Clark and Tyrann Mathieu most notably.  Mahomes will cost a fortune but that deal may be a year off.  Not sure about the other guys.

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Definitely. 

Dynasties are created when you have a GM/HC combo that can last. A GM who can consistently find talent year in and year out and a HC who can consistently coach them up. Pat Mahomes is currently on the quick route to becoming a living legend. KC has a great organization from top to bottom and the kind of QB to lead them into the final four wax hand every year just like Brady has for NE. 9ers are just a bit different to me in that regard because I just don’t believe in Jimmy G nearly as much as Mahomes. He doesn’t seem to have that killer instinct and he folded on his one and only drive to take the game over by 3 in the last 1:45 left on the game. At some point the 49ers May replace him but easily can still be a consistent winner and playoff contender for years and years since the GM/HC combo works really well.

What separates teams who are consistent playoff contenders each year and teams that are true dynasties is easily championship rings. Dynasties in football don’t come around often at all because it’s so hard to win or even get to the super bowl. Lots of luck, circumstance and ect are involved every year. KC has the kind of QB, HC and GM to make that happen though.

Agreed.  I don't know what the order of importance is but GM, HC and QB are definitely the Three Amigos of sustaining success for a NFL team.  I'd like to think that the Jets have something in Sam Darnold and Joe Douglas.  I'm less convinced about Gase but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for another year until he proves us right or wrong.

But the more I think about it the HC is probably the easiest piece to change that can give you the quickest turnaround.  A GM needs at least 2 offseasons to imprint his vision on a roster, two free agency periods and two Drafts.  A great QB is very, very hard to find (we saw that for 10 years), but a HC can be swapped sometimes with immediate results.  I think back to Parcells taking over the Jets and, just this year, what Matt LaFleur seemed to do for the Packers.  So I guess if I had to choose 2 of the 3 I'd really want to know that the Jets have the right QB and the right GM because I think a HC could be swapped more easily.  Thinking outloud a bit on this one though...

I could see them winning it all again next year, but it is so hard to actually do. 

There's no point in talking about a dynasty until they are at least close to winning another one. For example, we should already be talking about their second straight ring (they were easily the best team last year, but Dee Ford was off sides - so much can go wrong)

We'll see. 

With their coaching staff staying intact, and no big names up for free agency, the future looks bright for both teams.

I will say that it is hard for defenses to repeat years like San Frans had this year. They’ll need to upgrade their secondary.

Chiefs need some OL and secondary help.

The Chiefs will be around long-term because Mahomes can carry the team - QBs make a dynasty. 

The 49ers will be good next season but won't be good past the next 2-3 years unless they find themselves a true game changer at QB. Jimmy G is an advanced version of Kirk Cousins.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

The Chiefs will be around long-term because Mahomes can carry the team - QBs make a dynasty. 

The 49ers will be good next season but won't be good past the next 2-3 years unless they find themselves a true game changer at QB. Jimmy G is an advanced version of Kirk Cousins.

not so sue about the ADVANCED part but...   a good comp.

Absolutely no plays made with the feet...  can't have that. Or..  it's a disadvantage anymore NOT TO have that

imo both of these teams will be around for a while.  the chiefs will be good as long as reid coaches and mahomes is qb.  the rest of the team besides hill and kelce are good, not great.  the noners have a really good defensive group and garapollo can play if he's kept clean.  mostert is a good rb.  they probably need someone reliable besides kittle as a receiver.  and shanahan needed to coach better.  they got the ball in the first half with plenty of time to get some points but then just sat on it.  in the second half, they went away from the run at the very time kc found a pass rush.

Nothing is promised.  There's no one on earth who thought after last year's SB appearance
that the LAR wouldn't even make the playoffs this year.  When you get that far in the 
playoffs you better win, you may never make it back

I think they have multiple SB's appearances in them... the Chiefs.  Niners aren't going anywhere either but Jimmy actually has to raise his level of play. Next year is a huge in deciding the next decade of football.  Brady's future is up in the air and we'll see if the Pats slide any further... or if BB has a late career bloom.  My gut tells me that neither of these teams are going to be the next dominating dynasty.  Those aren't really something you can predict and you don't always seem them coming.  Anything can happen.  Whenever you point and react to a coach & QB tandem, like "they should dominate."  Those teams never do.  Success is so elusive and undefinable. 

Dynasty is a bit tough to predict today.  Too many variables.

But there is no reason to think the Chiefs won't be a favorite to repeat next year, barring injury.

Very well coached, elite QB, very good overall team talent with enough elite pieces at impact positions.

The AFC is sorta weak these days, and is in transition.  I only see a few possible legit competitors.

But it's football, anything can (and often does) happen.  

Two great teams played an ugly game and Jimmy G didn’t hit the game winning pass.

Both rosters are stout, and I expect both to be serious contenders next year. I don’t buy the Shanahan f***ed up argument and I don’t think either of these teams were products of luck this year. 

They’ll both be good. Congrats to Andy Reid.

One reason I think it may be difficult for KC to have a "dynasty" is with almost every football dynasty you have...

1.  A Front Office that can replace players at will

2.  A coach that is ahead of the curve.  Lombardi, Landry, Brown, Walsh, Belicheck all had a ton of copycats. 

3.  You need a great quarterback. 

Reid is one of the games greatest offensive minds but he's 61 and he JUST got a ring.  Are his best years ahead of him.... (shrugs)  Not saying they won't be there again but an awful lot of things have to go right.