Idzik v. Macc: The Final Word

jgb

The Worst GM in Jets History  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the worst of the worst?

1 minute ago, JetsFanatic said:

Idzik actually had a plan in place, but did not have the expertise required to carry it out. 

I did not vote because both did not do a good job, it’s immaterial who may have been worse.

Just now, BigRy56 said:

Idzik set this franchise back years and basically missed on every draft pick he ever made. At least Mac put us on the path forward with Darnold

Opposite opinions yet both resonate.

4 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Idzik set this franchise back years and basically missed on every draft pick he ever made. At least Mac put us on the path forward with Darnold

Sheldon Richardson was not a miss. 

Brian Winters was not a miss.  

Oday Aboushi was not a miss.  

Even with the "Idzik 12" in mind, Idzik hit at a better rate than Macc did.  And that's sad.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Idzick didnt have a single positive moment as a GM that wasnt led by the greatness of Rex Ryan.

At least Mac had a 10 win season, Jamal Adams and Sam Darnold.

Over a 5-year period, it's pretty horrific to only have those as your highlights.  Especially since Jamal Adams was a bad pick in context and we were extremely lucky to end up with Sam (who himself has some pretty significant question marks).  

Macc's actual highlights were Jordan Jenkins and Brian Poole.  1 solid pick and 1 FA signing that had no downside to them.  

• Upvote 2

God

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Macc sucked at everything required of a GM.  And he demonstrated that in all 5 years he was here.  His draft sucked, his free agent signings sucked, and any success he had were driven by luck (Sam falling into his lap after Cousins was his Plan A) or still were failures in the long run (Jamal over Mahomes/Watson/etc).  

Idzik only sucked at drafting.  Which of course is the # 1 most important thing about being a GM.  But he also did a decent job in FA when he signed Eric Decker. 

And that 2013 draft is arguably the best we've had since the Revis draft in 2007.  Not saying much, but still.  Sheldon Richardson was a quality pick, and he got him outside the Top 10.  Hard to complain about a DT who got 16.5 sacks over his first 3 years.  Brian Winters, who mostly sucks was at least a decent starting G for a while.  Oday Aboushi is still bouncing around the league as a backup OL, which is more than you can say for most of Macc's picks that are no longer in the league.  And I can't knock the Geno pick too much even in hindsight.  He was the best-rated QB in a bad QB class and had a MUCH better profile than fellow 2nd rounder Christian Hackenberg, who had no better than a 5th round resume. 

The 2014 draft class was god awful.  No doubt about it.  But it's not enough to put Idzik below Macc.  Especially when you consider Idzik is actually employed, and has been moving his way back up the Jaguars' ladder.  Macc shouldn't ever sniff a significant job again, not even as an area scout.

I voted Idzik (it wasn't an easy choice) but after this post I would be shocked if this poll wasn't 50/50 lol

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Macc put us on a path from Fitzpatrick to Hackenberg to McCown.  His "Plan A" in 2017 was Kirk Cousins.  His "Plan B" was Josh Rosen or Josh Allen.  He didn't even engineer the trade with the Colts.  He merely OK'd it.  

#conqueringhero

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Macc sucked at everything required of a GM.  And he demonstrated that in all 5 years he was here.  His draft sucked, his free agent signings sucked, and any success he had were driven by luck (Sam falling into his lap after Cousins was his Plan A) or still were failures in the long run (Jamal over Mahomes/Watson/etc).  

Idzik only sucked at drafting.  Which of course is the # 1 most important thing about being a GM.  But he also did a decent job in FA when he signed Eric Decker. 

And that 2013 draft is arguably the best we've had since the Revis draft in 2007.  Not saying much, but still.  Sheldon Richardson was a quality pick, and he got him outside the Top 10.  Hard to complain about a DT who got 16.5 sacks over his first 3 years.  Brian Winters, who mostly sucks was at least a decent starting G for a while.  Oday Aboushi is still bouncing around the league as a backup OL, which is more than you can say for most of Macc's picks that are no longer in the league.  And I can't knock the Geno pick too much even in hindsight.  He was the best-rated QB in a bad QB class and had a MUCH better profile than fellow 2nd rounder Christian Hackenberg, who had no better than a 5th round resume. 

The 2014 draft class was god awful.  No doubt about it.  But it's not enough to put Idzik below Macc.  Especially when you consider Idzik is actually employed, and has been moving his way back up the Jaguars' ladder.  Macc shouldn't ever sniff a significant job again, not even as an area scout.

Hackenberg was a "are you trying to be bad?" pick. 

Geno, if the proper vetting was in place pre-draft could have been avoided. He dropped for a reason. Hopefully Douglas gets the draft process in order- interviews, scouts etc. It's been disorganized since Mangini's departure over 10 years ago.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Over a 5-year period, it's pretty horrific to only have those as your highlights.  Especially since Jamal Adams was a bad pick in context and we were extremely lucky to end up with Sam (who himself has some pretty significant question marks).  

One guy did good things even by mistake.

The other guy did nothing good at all.

Both terrible and possibly the 2 worst GM's to ever grace the NFL but Mac has takeaways that Idzick does not. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Both terrible and possibly the 2 worst GM's to ever grace the NFL but Mac has takeaways that Idzick does not. 

Both horrific, yes.  But Idzik is currently an Assistant GM.  Macc is at Starbucks.  

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Idzik if given the 4 years probably would have backed his way into some decent moves/picks. The whole thing sucks. Until things change way up top the Jets will never attract big time candidates.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Considering our back and forths on the topic, oh yes I do.  lol

See, but you ripped the Fitz acquisition at the time, and anyone who supported it.  So that doesn't get to be part of your "Macc is better argument", is what I'm saying.

I was duped by the Fitz cycle.  It happens.  

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Hackenberg was a "are you trying to be bad?" pick. 

Geno, if the proper vetting was in place pre-draft could have been avoided. He dropped for a reason. Hopefully Douglas gets the draft process in order- interviews, scouts etc. It's been disorganized since Mangini's departure over 10 years ago.

Probably the 2 dumbest GM moves ever were owned by Macc:

1. Hack's former college coach, Bill O'Brien's Texans leapfrogged the Jets in the 2nd and didn't take Hack. For some reason this non-selection convinced Macc that Hack was in high demand and caused him to pull the trigger in the 2nd to not let him get away. What? I wish I could get a seat at whatever Long Island poker game Macc is playing in.

2. Macc (correctly) identified Kamara as a future star. He inquired about moving up to get him. Balked when the asking price included a late rounder beyond what Macc's "budget" was so he passed. Saints made the move. Voila, superstar.

Here I am talking myself out of my Idzik vote.

• Upvote 1

After 5 full drafts.

- A total rebuild of the oline is required, there might be one guy we should keep from last year and that would be begrudgingly.

- No true Wr weapons.

- No true TE weapon.

- No true RB weapon.

- No #1 or even #2 CB

- No pass rushers at all.

Like this is literally a hard thing to do to fail so badly in the draft and FA.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Idzik if given the 4 years probably would have backed his way into some decent moves/picks. The whole thing sucks. Until things change way up top the Jets will never attract big time candidates.

I think you're being very generous to Idzick who was an incompetent as incompetent gets. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

See, but you ripped the Fitz acquisition at the time, and anyone who supported it.  So that doesn't get to be part of your "Macc is better argument", is what I'm saying.

I also was duped by the Fitz cycle. But then again when the alternative is Geno... I would've clamored for 50-year-old Brett Favre.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

How many "executive of the year" trophies does Idzick have?

lolololololol

• Haha 2

Since T0m likes Idzik and Pac likes Mac how about we settle this in the Thunderdome? Each nitwit battling to the death for their boos honor. The surviving JN'er decides the results

Then just as the winner raises his hand in victory we fire a projectile at them from at tactical grenade launcher, declare them both losers and unite in celebration that both GM's and posters are no more.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

After 5 full drafts.

- A total rebuild of the oline is required, there might be one guy we should keep from last year and that would be begrudgingly.

- No true Wr weapons.

- No true TE weapon.

- No true RB weapon.

- No #1 or even #2 CB

- No pass rushers at all.

Like this is literally a hard thing to do to fail so badly in the draft and FA.

Actually a good point. Jets roster for the last several years was the easiest to break on to. To not find upgrades from a roster of JAGs almost requires purposeful suck.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CTM said:

Since T0m likes Idzik and Pac likes Mac how about we settle this in the Thunderdome? Each nitwit battling to the death for their boos honor. The surviving JN'er decides the results

Then just as the winner raises his hand in victory we fire a projectile at them from at tactical grenade launcher, declare them both losers and unite in celebration that both GM's and posters are no more.

Can I pull the trigger of the grenade launcher? 

28 minutes ago, jgb said:

Feel free to explain your reasoning.

I went Idzik. Idzik's dirty dozen was just such an outrageous whiff and with a catchy historical name, I believe he will go down as the worst of the worst.

Yeah but taking a box safety as good as he ever going to be over two future HOF QB was unforgivable.  #BAP

• Upvote 3