Idzik v. Macc: The Final Word

jgb

The Worst GM in Jets History  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the worst of the worst?

Just now, DRJETS said:

Yeah but taking a box safety as good as he ever going to be over two future HOF QB was unforgivable.  #BAP

The best part about the Macc flameout is the utter repudiation of #BAP, which is just a name for risk-averse, drafting-not-to-lose, weakness.

• Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

The best part about the Macc flameout is the utter repudiation of #BAP, which is just a name for risk-averse, drafting-not-to-lose, weakness.

BAP works as long as positional importance is factored in.  Completely ignoring the Offensive Line is inexcusable in that light.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

BAP works as long as positional importance is factored in.  Completely ignoring the Offensive Line is inexcusable in that light.

BAP is crap. Mel Kiper ranks based on BAP. GMs are managing actual teams with actual needs. If Mahomes tears an ACL game one next year and Chiefs get top pick, do they go Travor because #BAP? No, they trade the fugg down away from the consensus BAP. Which is what a BAP acolyte should do if a clear best player is available when they are on the clock that is not a position of need. Problem was Macc didn't get this and always balked from trading down because not only was he a slave to BAP but also the hilarious inaccurate and outdated draft chart.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

BAP is crap. Mel Kiper ranks based on BAP. GMs are managing actual teams with actual needs.

Right which folds in nicely with positional importance.  Hence why you end up having to take needs into account; premium positions almost always are a need.  Everyone needs OL, CBs, EDGE rushers, etc at all times.

Premium positions tend to have a smaller pool of prospects available to you.  So if the choice is between the last elite OL on the board and the best DT available, you take the OL even if the DT is the BAP on your board.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Idzik set this franchise back years and basically missed on every draft pick he ever made. At least Mac put us on the path forward with Darnold

here's the thing.  idzik didn't do a very good job drafting but he knew enough what positions to draft.  and as much as been said about the dirty dozen, most of those picks were in the later rounds so the odds of any of them being truly impactful were slim.  mac came in as some sort of good talent evaluator and he just didn't do a very good job.  he had a ton of cap space but brought in a lot of cancers or didn't recognize some of these clowns for who they truly are.  wilky is a prime example.

another point is maybe idzik doesn't pass on mahomes or watson.  sure he drafted geno but geno would've eventually showed himself to be an interception machine and the team would've moved on.  and by drafting mahomes or watson the jets don't waste 2 2nd rounders.  the first one to sign hackenberg and the other two part of the darnold trade.  think about that.  the gm mismanagement caused the team to lose a significant amount of potential talent just because it couldn't draft a qb right.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Right which folds in nicely with positional importance.  Hence why you end up having to take needs into account; premium positions almost always are a need.  Everyone needs OL, CBs, EDGE rushers, etc at all times.

Premium positions tend to have a smaller pool of prospects available to you.  So if the choice is between the last elite OL on the board and the best DT available, you take the OL even if the DT is the BAP on your board.

Caught me editing. Humor me and read my edit. Macc not trading back was a huge whiff. Huge.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Idzik had an overarching plan that made some sense. Mac didnt. Both were horrendous at the draft. Mac was willing to overpay in FA and Idzik wasn't. Both were hired due to the parameters set by ownership and better candidates turned down interviews because of said parameters. In the end, Maccagnan was worse because he got more time and passed on Watson and Mahomes (Bowles had influence here too).

Idzik had a plan that made sense, in accumulating picks.   He simply could not draft well, and missed on them all.

Macc had no plan, and signed some AWFUL huge contracts.   He somehow led the league in money spent on O Line, while having a bottom 5 O Line.   He wasted over 100 million on signing cornerbacks who did nothing, drafted 3-4 DE after 3-4 DE, and didn't even get good ones.   He sucked.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, rangerous said:

here's the thing.  idzik didn't do a very good job drafting but he knew enough what positions to draft.  and as much as been said about the dirty dozen, most of those picks were in the later rounds so the odds of any of them being truly impactful were slim.  mac came in as some sort of good talent evaluator and he just didn't do a very good job.  he had a ton of cap space but brought in a lot of cancers or didn't recognize some of these clowns for who they truly are.  wilky is a prime example.

Idzik did most things well, except execute.  

• Haha 1

Idzik set this franchise back years and basically missed on every draft pick he ever made. At least Mac put us on the path forward with Darnold
Idzik was hired because he was a numbers guy and our team was in a real crappy spot with the cap, such a bad spot that we were basically forced to trade away our best player right after an injury when his value was down? Idzik fixed our cap space though even if it was by not signing players out of spite because he didn't like Rex.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Idzik had a plan that made sense, in accumulating picks.   He simply could not draft well, and missed on them all.

Macc had no plan, and signed some AWFUL huge contracts.   He somehow led the league in money spent on O Line, while having a bottom 5 O Line.   He wasted over 100 million on signing cornerbacks who did nothing, drafted 3-4 DE after 3-4 DE, and didn't even get good ones.   He sucked.

Trumaine Johnson literally walked into the Jets locker room and said I’m not not going to try.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, King P said:

The GM who looked like Norb from Angry Beavers. Who had a year with 12 draft picks and cap space. And managed to squander the huge opportunity at rebuilding. 

It is my firm belief that Idzik was sabotaging Rex.  I know that I am defending Rex in another thread, but it was something that probably had to be done.   I think he tried in 2013 and failed.  He intentionally got zero corners in 2014 and finished the job.  I wonder if he had any real direction with the team.  It is amazing how many picks on WRs the team has spent over the past 2 regimes with nothing to show for it. 

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It is my firm belief that Idzik was sabotaging Rex.  I know that I am defending Rex in another thread, but it was something that probably had to be done.   I think he tried in 2013 and failed.  He intentionally got zero corners in 2014 and finished the job.  I wonder if he had any real direction with the team.  It is amazing how many picks on WRs the team has spent over the past 2 regimes with nothing to show for it. 

I believe it too. He definitely sabotaged Rex, which in turn he sabotaged himself. Cut off his nose to spite his face.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Feel free to explain your reasoning.

I went Idzik. Idzik's dirty dozen was just such an outrageous whiff and with a catchy historical name, I believe he will go down as the worst of the worst.

Id say Idzik.

But would prefer to score it a dead heat.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

BAP is crap. Mel Kiper ranks based on BAP. GMs are managing actual teams with actual needs. If Mahomes tears an ACL game one next year and Chiefs get top pick, do they go Travor because #BAP? No, they trade the fugg down away from the consensus BAP. Which is what a BAP acolyte should do if a clear best player is available when they are on the clock that is not a position of need. Problem was Macc didn't get this and always balked from trading down because not only was he a slave to BAP but also the hilarious inaccurate and outdated draft chart.

Nonsense. This post is crap.