jgb

Idzik v. Macc: The Final Word

The Worst GM in Jets History  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the worst of the worst?

14 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Hackenberg was a "are you trying to be bad?" pick. 

Geno, if the proper vetting was in place pre-draft could have been avoided. He dropped for a reason. Hopefully Douglas gets the draft process in order- interviews, scouts etc. It's been disorganized since Mangini's departure over 10 years ago.

Geno was one of the easiest bust calls in recent memory. Hackenberg and Rosen round out the top 3. If it wasn’t for Gettlemen, the Jets would’ve drafted all three of these bums.

I can’t believe it’s this close....McCaganen was by far the worst jet employee ever. In fact I’d take Idzik with Kotite as his coach over Big Mac

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Idzik had a plan you could very easily see. A plan that I think most fans would appreciate. He stockpiled pics, didnt want to overspend on free agents. 

Unfortunately, he executed his plan so horribly, it doesnt matter how many picks you stockpile if you dont hit.

Macacagnan seemed like a smart guy, but didnt have a great plan. He didnt seem like he recognized how positional value worked in the NFL. He didnt seem to value the OL, and that killed the Jets last year.

Overall, I'm gonna go with Mac being better. He drafted Darnold. If Darnold becomes the franchise QB we think he can, Mac deserves that credit.

New Poll coming.  Would you rather:

1) have your eyeballs removed with a bic pen while your scrotum is fed into a meat grinder

2) be a Jet Fan for the past 45 years. 

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

It is my firm belief that Idzik was sabotaging Rex.  I know that I am defending Rex in another thread, but it was something that probably had to be done.   I think he tried in 2013 and failed.  He intentionally got zero corners in 2014 and finished the job.  I wonder if he had any real direction with the team.  It is amazing how many picks on WRs the team has spent over the past 2 regimes with nothing to show for it. 

rex sabotaged himself.  first by playing sanchez in a meaningless pre-season game  and then by running a circus in the lockerroom.  he didn't need idzik to show him the door.

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, rangerous said:

rex sabotaged himself.  first by playing sanchez in a meaningless pre-season game  and then by running a circus in the lockerroom.  he didn't need idzik to show him the door.

You s ay that, but even his biggest detractors will tell you he was amazingly resilient.  He did some good things and some bad things right from the start.  There is no doubt that he deserved to go.  He didn't seem to learn from his mistakes, but nobody seemed in a rush to fire him.  Idzik was handcuffed to him the fist year and it seemed obvious that it was an uncomfortable marriage.  Give him a couple of decent corners and Rex can win some games with anything.  Give him Dmitri Patterson and the guy is looking for a new job. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

He turned many of those into compensatory picks

How many?

One?

Two?

47 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Nonsense, Sanchez was never going to start, made no difference he was injured.

The team was being passed on to Geno.  

Idzik was worse, but Mac caused more damage by lasting longer. 

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Macc put us on a path from Fitzpatrick to Hackenberg to McCown.  His "Plan A" in 2017 was Kirk Cousins.  His "Plan B" was Josh Rosen or Josh Allen.  He didn't even engineer the trade with the Colts.  He merely OK'd it.  

Yeah, it was Rosen or Allen.  

And he merely OKs the trade he initiated.

Does it ever end? 

He sucked but the trade and the draft worked out exactly the way he wanted it to play out.  

Both mismanaged the team to a degree that borders on criminal.

I refuse to make subtle meaningless distinctions between the fragrant aroma of two different flavors of poop.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

The arranged marriage between Rex and Idziot forced Rex's hand. There was a power struggle between Idziot (wanted "his" guy Geno to start) and Rex (wanted "his" guy Sanchez to start). Rex was giving Sanchez a shot to make it impossible to justify benching him in favor of Geno. Obviously that backfired but it wasn't some reckless wild decision with no purpose.

We almost certainly would've made the playoffs in 2013 had Sanchez not gotten hurt and Rex got his way to start him. We went 8-8 with Geno going 12/21 TD/INT.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

At least idzik got the salary cap under control Mac spent like a drunken sailor and still got no results.

18 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Idzik had an overarching plan that made some sense. Mac didnt. Both were horrendous at the draft. Mac was willing to overpay in FA and Idzik wasn't. Both were hired due to the parameters set by ownership and better candidates turned down interviews because of said parameters. In the end, Maccagnan was worse because he got more time and passed on Watson and Mahomes (Bowles had influence here too).

We have no idea what Joe Douglas is or what he's going to be- but it's going to take some real effort to be worse. He's not exactly batting after Babe Ruth.

Though I believe Idzik did deserve to get fired because the 2014 draft was horrendous and his press conference in the middle of the 2014 season was downright embarrassing, I have a somewhat perverse curiosity as to whom he would have signed with the huge cap surplus he created for the 2015 off season.      

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

Idzik was worse, but Mac caused more damage by lasting longer. 

Idzik was also saddled with a failed head coach who openly conspired against him

42 % of JN actually thinks Idzik was worse than Mike Maccagnan.  

Idzik hit on over 21 % of his picks and had a free agent win in Eric Decker.  And unlike Macc, he didn't neglect the Offensive Line in his drafts.

Macc hit on less than 18 % of his picks (and that's being kind, it was probably more like 15 %), completely neglecting the OL in the process.  And he had countless free agent disasters like Trumaine Johnson, Spencer Long, Buster Skrine, washed up Revis, etc etc.  

And even when Macc hit, on some of those occasions, he really didn't (like Jamal over Mahomes/Watson).

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Mac was there longer so he had more opportunities to showcase his incompetence.  Idzik, however, was so spectacularly awful that I give him the prize.  I actually believe he was trying to fail to ensure Rex's demise.  Didn't figure that he would be axed so quickly which is atypical for GMs.  In any event, they were two of the worst GMs ever, in my humble opinion, and did severe damage to the Jets franchise.  The fact that Macc didn't pick an OL in five years speaks volumes.  Let's hope Joe Douglas is better.  I would normally say he couldn't be worse but I said that about Adam Gase.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

How many?

One?

Two?

He was here two years.  In 2013 he couldn't create comp picks because he wasn't the GM the prior year.  He did, however, trade Revis for a 1st round pick (13 overall) to Tampa dumping his bloated contract and netting Richardson in the draft.

The following year (his last) he had four compensatory picks in the draft.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

He was here two years.  In 2013 he couldn't create comp picks because he wasn't the GM the prior year.  He did, however, trade Revis for a 1st round pick (13 overall) to Tampa dumping his bloated contract and netting Richardson in the draft.

The following year (his last) he had four compensatory picks in the draft.

Idzik trading Revis and turning that into Sheldon Richardson is better than any move Macc made over a 5-year tenure.  

And no, Macc does not deserve credit for the trade up to 3.  At least no more than a small piece of the credit.  Heimerdinger made that trade with Chris Ballard over drinks.  Macc heard about it afterwards and gave the OK.  

• Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, jcass10 said:

Idzik had a plan you could very easily see. A plan that I think most fans would appreciate. He stockpiled pics, didnt want to overspend on free agents. 

Unfortunately, he executed his plan so horribly, it doesnt matter how many picks you stockpile if you dont hit.

Macacagnan seemed like a smart guy, but didnt have a great plan. He didnt seem like he recognized how positional value worked in the NFL. He didnt seem to value the OL, and that killed the Jets last year.

Overall, I'm gonna go with Mac being better. He drafted Darnold. If Darnold becomes the franchise QB we think he can, Mac deserves that credit.

Agree with all except the Darold bit.  He did not trade up for sam darnold.  He traded up for Darnold, or baker mayfield or josh allen or josh rosen.  He simply got monumentally lucky.  He paid a huge price in the trade up considering there was no guarantee he was going to get his favoured player.

• Upvote 4

One of the worst things about Maccagnan was the way he overpaid the few of Idzik's picks that weren't stiffs.  Winters and Enunwa got contracts they certainly didn't deserve.  That and the money he gave Wilkerson was unconscionable. 

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Idzik was also saddled with a failed head coach who openly conspired against him

Perfect description of Maccagnan/Gase.

11 hours ago, Warfish said:

Both mismanaged the team to a degree that borders on criminal.

I refuse to make subtle meaningless distinctions between the fragrant aroma of two different flavors of poop.

You don't want to smell it, but you'll taste it? 

9 hours ago, TMAC said:

Mac was there longer so he had more opportunities to showcase his incompetence.  Idzik, however, was so spectacularly awful that I give him the prize.  I actually believe he was trying to fail to ensure Rex's demise.  Didn't figure that he would be axed so quickly which is atypical for GMs.  In any event, they were two of the worst GMs ever, in my humble opinion, and did severe damage to the Jets franchise.  The fact that Macc didn't pick an OL in five years speaks volumes.  Let's hope Joe Douglas is better.  I would normally say he couldn't be worse but I said that about Adam Gase.

Fact?  I get that he neglected the line, but he drafted Edoga, Shell and Harrison.  Hell, he actually traded up for Edoga and Shell.  He gave good money to Winters and Long, and traded for Clady and Osemele.   

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Agree with all except the Darold bit.  He did not trade up for sam darnold.  He traded up for Darnold, or baker mayfield or josh allen or josh rosen.  He simply got monumentally lucky.  He paid a huge price in the trade up considering there was no guarantee he was going to get his favoured player.

Macc's plans at QB:

• Plan A.  Ryan Fitzpatrick
  • Plan B.  Christian Hackenberg
  • Plan C.  Kirk Cousins
  • Plan D.  Josh McCown
  • Plan E.  Trade up to 3 (engineered by Heimerdinger), with the assumption that it would either be Mayfield, Rosen or Allen
  • Plan F.  Sam Darnold

Macc was simply a visionary when it came to evaluating QB futures.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Macc's plans at QB:

• Plan A.  Ryan Fitzpatrick
  • Plan B.  Christian Hackenberg
  • Plan C.  Kirk Cousins
  • Plan D.  Josh McCown
  • Plan E.  Trade up to 3 (engineered by Heimerdinger), with the assumption that it would either be Mayfield, Rosen or Allen
  • Plan F.  Sam Darnold

Macc was simply a visionary when it came to evaluating QB futures.  

Wasn't Petty in there too? 

8 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Wasn't Petty in there too? 

Eh, I think I remember a quote by Macc where he said Petty could be a good backup, or something like that. 

Which is fair.  If you use a 4th rounder on a QB and he ends up a solid backup, its a win.  You save money on the backup QB position (which can cost up to $8M per for a high-end backup) for 4 years and if he shows ANYTHING in those 4 years, sometimes you can trade him away or get a compensatory pick out of the deal.  Like Matt Flynn, for instance.  It's why you pretty much want to draft a QB in every draft, within reason.

I don't think Petty was every considered the future here, and that's OK.  Using a 4th on a QB and getting the next Kirk Cousins is very rare.  So I won't kill Macc for that particular pick.  It's how he handled the QB position with every other pick/QB signing (aside from Bridgewater, which was a smart move) that was the problem.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

The greatest “tell” of what Maccagnan really is was that picture of him with 15 coffee cups on his desk.  Which I would analyze as follows..

1.  Its the weakest con I’ve ever seen.  Trying to project yourself as someone getting no sleep, burning the midnight oil and leaving no stone unturned until making the NY Jets a winning organization.  This might fool a 5 year old with a 50 IQ....based on looking at ALL his moves in total.

2.  You’re just exactly what you look like.  A fat slob who has no coherent or strategic thought process that would better any high school football team, forget the pros.  Your “thinking“, if he can even do that, is a mess...just like your desk.

But Johnson couldn’t notice any of this and hired this bum.

That picture was real?!

always thought it was photoshopped 

A lot of people giving Mac credit for Darnold. 

How? He stumbled into him. And even if it was all an act of wizardry( which it wasn’t cause he got on his knees for cousins) 3 early picks, Adams and Darnold is in no way > then Mahomes or Watson And a 1st and 3 seconds (ignore which player could do what with which team, based on straight assets, it’s beyond terrible)

Absolutely no plan or team building in mind with Mac. 

The only thing I’d give him any type of credit for was actually picking Hackenberg, if he was as in love with him as been reported then good for him for having balls and swinging for the fences, to be so grossly wrong is a direct indictment of how ****in bad he really was at all things football  

oh and bridgewater. That’s a good move 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

The only thing I’d give him any type of credit for was actually picking Hackenberg, if he was as in love with him as been reported then good for him for having balls and swinging for the fences, to be so grossly wrong is a direct indictment of how ****in bad he really was at all things football  

Can't even give him credit for being "ballsy".  Tannenbaum trading up for Sanchez was ballsy.  Hackenberg was just dumb.  Dude was a 5th round grade at best.  You don't draft a QB like him with that statistical profile in a round that suggests you think he's your future.  You just don't.  It was arguably the worst pick in Jets history.  Especially since Macc "doubled down" on Hackenberg and avoided Mahomes and Watson in the next draft class.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, talisaynon said:

Dunno man I can’t even remember a good pick idzik had

Sheldon Richardson at # 13 overall >>> Jamal Adams at # 6, passing on the QBs in  the process.  

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Can't even give him credit for being "ballsy".  Tannenbaum trading up for Sanchez was ballsy.  Hackenberg was just dumb.  Dude was a 5th round grade at best.  You don't draft a QB like him with that statistical profile in a round that suggests you think he's your future.  You just don't.  It was arguably the worst pick in Jets history.  Especially since Macc "doubled down" on Hackenberg and avoided Mahomes and Watson in the next draft class.

I get it. It was terrible. But I applaud guys that follow there gut. Problem with goin against the experts and following your gut is you BETTER be right or your gonna look like an idiot as in this case. 

Just now, Anthony Jet said:

I get it. It was terrible. But I applaud guys that follow there gut. Problem with goin against the experts and following your gut is you BETTER be right or your gonna look like an idiot as in this case. 

His "gut" should have noted that he couldn't complete 60 % of his throws against Indiana in 4 tries.  

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sheldon Richardson at # 13 overall >>> Jamal Adams at # 6, passing on the QBs in  the process.  

People just see the names and don’t realize how terrible Mac was at asset management and team building 

• Upvote 1