Idzik v. Macc: The Final Word

jgb

The Worst GM in Jets History  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the worst of the worst?

41 minutes ago, JiF said:

lol - dickbags.  

Truth be told, the only poster I remember being on board with me about Watson was Senor Gato.  lol  Everyone was else was telling me how I was a moron, he's a 3rd RD pick, INT's, MPH, ect. etc. etc.  I legit dont remember any of you being in Watson's camp.

It was basically me - Watson, Lupz - Mahomes and the rest of the board calling us idiots. 

I wanted Watson or Mike Williams.  Those were my top 2.  Receipts are available I just wasn't loud about it.  You were pounding the table, no doubt about it.

20 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

In retrospect, both were abysmal but I am going to give Mac some credit for trading for the Darnold pick (maybe it wasn't his idea but he did pull the trigger).  Also, going 0 for 12 is almost mathematically impossible but Idzik managed to do it that year.

1/12.  Enunwa in the 6th.  Even with his injury history and hindsight as a guide that was a "hit" given where we took him.  Had he been, say, a 2nd/3rd round pick, no I don't think you could call him a hit.  But the 6th/7th rounds are where any WR you draft is more likely a Special Teamer than a guy who can become a legit receiving option. 

But that was blind squirrel stuff there.  Given how good the WRs in that draft class were it was inexcusable not to come away with a better one than Enunwa.  

1 hour ago, Bruce Harper said:

In retrospect, both were abysmal but I am going to give Mac some credit for trading for the Darnold pick (maybe it wasn't his idea but he did pull the trigger).  Also, going 0 for 12 is almost mathematically impossible but Idzik managed to do it that year.

I just revisited the 2014 draft.  Using pro football reference AV, Idzik's picks rated as follows:

Pryor 14, Amaro, 4, McDougle 2, Saunders and Evans 0, Dozier 7, George and Dixon 3, Enunwa 13, Enemkpali 1, and Reilly 3. Tajh Boyd was so bad he didn't even rate a zero.  He had no grade point average!

By comparison, I checked out our 2014 mock draft.  We only went 4 rounds.  @NYJetsVets91 had the Jets.  He got Bortles (44) in the 1st, Troy Niklas (1), Pierre Desir (13) in the 3rd, Robert Herron (0) and Kirksey (25) in the 4th.  He got Bortles and Kirksey way later than in the actual draft.  The other 3 picks directly mirrored Idzik TE in the 2nd, CB in the 3rd and WR with the 1st 4th.  On those picks, the poster beat Idzik  1-13-0 to 4-2-0.

FWIW, I had the Bengals and Redskins.  For the Bengals, I took Jason Verrett (12), Trent Murphy (29), Ju'wan James (29) and Will Clarke (6).  The actual Bengals took Darqueze Dennard (12), Jeremy Hill (21), Will Clarke a round earlier than me (6) and Russell Bodine (28).  For the Redskins I had a fairly pitiful draft, taking Cyrus Kouandjio (7) in the 2nd, Travis Swanson (26) in the 3rd and Jackson Jeffcoat (YIKES! 1) in the 4th.  The actual Redskins had given up a bunch of picks for Griffin, but traded down from the 2nd (giving the Cowboys DeMarcus Lawrence[41]) and ended up with Trent Murphy (29), Morgan Moses (39), Spencer Long (20) and Bashaud Breeland (28).  They dropped from #34 to #47, but added #78.  We didn't allow trades.  Jeffcoat wasn't drafted, but did end up with the Redskins.  

Edited to add @T0mShane because I think he also strangely likes this sh*t.  If not, maybe he will find tagging him annoying.  A win either way.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

I'm shocked that Idzik is winning. I don't remember anyone in the Jets org more hated than him other than Kotite. Does this mean that time heals all wounds or that people have a short memory span. Their hatred for Macc is more recent. I didn't vote. I always thought that Idzik got a raw deal only two years and no chance to spend most of the cap space he accumulated. One reason he was fired I think was his inability to communicate with the press. He was inarticulate and difficult to them and they got him back for lack of cooperation etc. And of course that presser was embarrassing. He was just not able to communicate with the toughest press corp in the NFL. It wasn't his personality. Macc was better not good with the press. I thought he improved as GM and made better moves like the trade up for Darnold later in his tenure. I wouldn't have fired him when they did but there obviously was a breech between him and the new HC. If you look at most teams there are more misses than hits in the draft. And sometimes players need time to find a role and later play better. I mean look at Demario Davis. Fans are really tough on GMs but you could fire all of them for more misses than hits. 

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

+ offered Kirk Cousins more money than 31 other GMs.  It was only because the Jets' roster sucked so much that Cousins turned us down and saved us from that "no-mans land" fate that only @Warfish still wants.

I think he & his agent were using us. I think it was partly our situation, but he was getting a fully guaranteed contract anyway. As much as the roster I think it was that, so long as he had other options in the ballpark, he didn't want to play in Gomorra. He's a small town midwest guy. Yes there are suburbs and farms in NJ, too, but you can't even drink the water lol. 

Like McCown. Except no one else was in the ballpark compared to our offers of $8MM and then $10MM (despite being in his last years at age 38 and 39, it was more than he'd made in the prior 6 years combined). Plus he'd already played everywhere else, so it's like picking the next vacation spot where he gets to see new things.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think he & his agent were using us. I think it was partly our situation, but he was getting a fully guaranteed contract anyway. As much as the roster I think it was that, so long as he had other options in the ballpark, he didn't want to play in Gomorra. He's a small town midwest guy. Yes there are suburbs and farms in NJ, too, but you can't even drink the water lol. 

Like McCown. Except no one else was in the ballpark compared to our offers of $8MM and then $10MM (despite being in his last years at age 38 and 39, it was more than he'd made in the prior 6 years combined). Plus he'd already played everywhere else, so it's like picking the next vacation spot where he gets to see new things.

Yep.  Having the most cap space is rarely good news, because FA's know it and can use you for it.  They can say to teams "give me more or I'll just sign with the Jets", much like Anthony Barr did.  

But it's still factual that no one offered more money to Cousins than we did.  Whether there was ever a chance he was going to come here or not, its clear that Macc wanted him and was willing to give him entirely too much money to get him.  

24 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think he & his agent were using us.

Oh unquestionably, our desperation was palpable, and they used it to drive up the market price as much as possible.  

A better GM could and would have sealed the deal with $$ and a vision for improvement, but Macc was never going to be that guy as our GM.

For some reason this thread reminds me of one of my all time favorite movies, 'Support Your Loval Gunfighter.'  Part of the plot is that Jack Elam (he of the googly eyes) is masquerading as a deadly gunfighter named Swifty Morgan.  He's a total loser drifter but gradually he begins to like the reputation he gets and respect from being considered a "fast gun."  There is a running gag where Elam keeps trying to compare his feeble draw ability with James Garner, a gambler with no interest in gunfighting.

Elam:  "I've got my reputation to think about!"

Garner: "What good is your reputation If your dead."

Elam:  "I've been practicing.  When I saw draw... draw."

"Draw!"

Garner immediately pulls out his gun before Elam can reach his holster.

Garner:  "I'm slow Jug.  But you're the slowest."

No idea why I thought of this.  But somehow the conversation applies to Idzik and Maccagnan's spectacular ineptitude.  As to which character applies to which GM... I will let you decide.

• Upvote 1

The question will be skewed because comparing directly is nearly impossible. I give no points for "came into xxx situation" because coaches/front office guys know what they're coming into and you often see weak candidates like Idzik take jobs because there's something rotten that top tier candidates shy away from...not saying 'no' to a bad situation doesn't absolve you having to produce results. 

I went with Idzik. Regardless of being saddled with Rex, a roster that the only option was a tear down, etc...his drafts were abysmal. Not simply bad, utter trash. They didn't have any redeeming traits. It was basically a two year black hole of players. There's no arguing Mac was bad with some pretty bad misses, but his problem wasn't so much even the misses as much as the complete lack of ability to judge value. Max also managed to judge value in the most important pick he made..I don't give him any props for the selection of Darnold, but he knew he had to be in a position to pick a QB early.