Trade for Trent Williams

Bleacher Report

MAURICE MOTON

Predicting Landing Spots for the NFL's Biggest 2020 Trade Targets

LT Trent Williams to the New York Jets

e799f4aeb87ad3c463c64c8702964eb5_crop_exact.jpg?w=2975&h=2048&q=85 Rick Scuteri/Associated Press

Washington Redskins receive: 2020 1st-round pick, 2020 5th-round pick

Prior to the 2019 trade deadline, the Redskins attempted to move Trent Williams but couldn't find a team willing to give up anything more than a second-round pick, per NFL Network's Ian Rapoport.

Rapoport said Washington would attempt to trade Williams again in the offseason, hoping for more compensation. 

Head coach Ron Rivera has worked to mend fences between the organization and Williams after a dispute over the handling of a cancerous growth on his scalp. At one point, the seven-time Pro Bowler said he'll "never be a Redskin again," per Rhiannon Walker of The Athletic. 

If Rivera cannot convince Williams to return, the Redskins will definitely revisit trade talks. This time, a team in dire need of a high-end pass protector may offer more than a second-round pick. 

The Jets could fall into that category. Gang Green have the 11th overall selection in the upcoming draft, which potentially leaves them outside of the range for the top two or three tackles in the class. Unless the coaching staff thinks Chuma Edoga could fill one of the positions in the starting lineup, the team may add two players at the position.

General manager Joe Douglas can push to acquire Williams. As a perennial Pro Bowler going into his age-31 term, the tackle is worth the proposed compensation. 

The Redskins would likely look at the package the Houston Texans used to acquire left tackle Laremy Tunsil. The AFC South club sent two first-round picks (2020 and 2021) and next year's second-rounder to Miami in the deal. Williams isn't as young and missed 13 games from 2016-18, but his Pro Bowl accolades elevate trade value.

If the Jets want an instant solution to cover quarterback Sam Darnold's blind side, they should make a strong attempt to acquire Williams.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

????, so no one wanted to give up anything more then a 2nd but all of a sudden the author feels the Jets should offer the 11th overall.

• Thumb Down 5
  • WTF? 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 5

Williams had issues with the Redskin medical staff. Osemele and Enunwa had issues with the Jet medical staff. Giving up first and second round picks for this headache is not a good idea. Plus Williams would kick and scream about coming here due to this as well.

Williams had issues with the Redskin medical staff. Osemele and Enunwa had issues with the Jet medical staff. Giving up first and second round picks for this headache is not a good idea. Plus Williams would kick and scream about coming here due to this as well.

Great point. I would however give up our 2 Nd for him

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I'd actually send the 2nd and 5th for him tbh. If we land Thomas/Wirfs/Wills in the draft we'd have 2 stud OTs, hopefully we'll have added Glasgow, resign Lewis and we've got a good line with Harrison at C. Hell we'd have the cap to add Cooper/Yannick too (Not advocating that we do) but it's definitely something to think about 

I might consider the 2nd rounder with something lower coming back depending on what we got with the 1st rounder.  If we miss on an OT in the 1st, it has its appeal, yet even that still feels a touch high to me for the red flags with TW.  He just isn't risk-free at this point.

However, collecting all of the NFL coaches and players named Williams does have its appeal.

I know it's a speculative article with someone just making wild predictions but if Douglas traded a 1st and a 5th for a 32 year old who can never stay healthy in a year where the depth at his position in the draft is as strong as we've seen in a long long, I'd be very upset and share my displeasure with this board. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

Washington Redskins receive: 2020 1st-round pick, 2020 5th-round pick

And while we're at it I think I'll trade my new iPhone in for a VCR.

WTF??  I'd even debate giving up our 2nd round pick for Williams.

That dude's price is going to go down is my guess.  I could be wrong but the only teams giving up a 1st for Williams are a win-now team.  Maybe it's a gift to Tom Brady in his upcoming final season with the Patriots.

• Haha 1

Same article;

RB Le'Veon Bell to the Washington Redskins

6c5da722bb3f32d98eae604cb5831f51_crop_exact.jpg?w=2975&h=2048&q=85 Jim McIsaac/Getty Images

New York Jets receive: 2020 3rd-round pick

Aside from signing a four-year, $52.5 million deal, Le'Veon Bell had a rough stretch through 2019.

In his first season with the New York Jets, he finished with a career-low 3.2 yards per carry. Despite averaging 16.3 rushing attempts per game, he expressed dissatisfaction with his workload. 

A couple of days after the 2019 season ended, general manager Joe Douglas said he'd "listen" to trade offers for Bell.

ESPN's Rich Cimini thinks the Jets will trade the two-time All-Pro, but he pointed to head coach Adam Gase's philosophy at running back rather than Bell's disappointing campaign. 

"[Gase] didn't want Bell in the first place because he prefers a 'committee' backfield instead of having a high-priced feature back, but he was overruled by former GM Mike Maccagnan. My hunch is he will push for a trade," Cimini wrote.

Unfortunately for the Jets, Bell's underwhelming performance takes some luster off his trade value. Douglas may have to settle for a third-rounder to unload his starting tailback.

The Washington Redskins don't have an established long-term option at the position. Adrian Peterson will turn 35 years old in March, and Derrius Guice has battled knee injuries since entering the league in 2018, suiting up for just five games. Rookie fourth-rounder Bryce Love is recovering from a torn ACL and sat out all of 2019.

When in Carolina, new Redskins head coach Ron Rivera had Christian McCaffrey—a dual-threat running back who handled most of the carries and caught 303 passes for 2,523 yards and 15 touchdowns through three seasons. Bell fits the same mold. In 77 contests, he's racked up 9,246 yards from scrimmage, and approximately 34 percent of that output was as a pass-catcher.

Rivera would obtain a featured ball-carrier still in his prime to help Dwayne Haskins under center. Unless left tackle Trent Williams returns and then re-signs, the Redskins need to bolster their pass protection, but Bell could become a reliable option on short throws.

1 hour ago, Jets0712 said:

Great point. I would however give up our 2 Nd for him

No way... he isn't even worth a 3rd at this stage.... you guys are delusional... He has a cancerous tumor in his head where he can't put on a helmet yet the Jet fan is so starved for any offensive lineman they are like sure... why not...  

No way... he isn't even worth a 3rd at this stage.... you guys are delusional... He has a cancerous tumor in his head where he can't put on a helmet yet the Jet fan is so starved for any offensive lineman they are like sure... why not...  

No not any offensive lineman. A 7 time pro bowl lineman for a 2 Nd.... how de we do with 2 Nd round picks???