Trade for Trent Williams

1 hour ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Same article;

RB Le'Veon Bell to the Washington Redskins

6c5da722bb3f32d98eae604cb5831f51_crop_exact.jpg?w=2975&h=2048&q=85 Jim McIsaac/Getty Images

New York Jets receive: 2020 3rd-round pick

Aside from signing a four-year, $52.5 million deal, Le'Veon Bell had a rough stretch through 2019.

In his first season with the New York Jets, he finished with a career-low 3.2 yards per carry. Despite averaging 16.3 rushing attempts per game, he expressed dissatisfaction with his workload. 

A couple of days after the 2019 season ended, general manager Joe Douglas said he'd "listen" to trade offers for Bell.

ESPN's Rich Cimini thinks the Jets will trade the two-time All-Pro, but he pointed to head coach Adam Gase's philosophy at running back rather than Bell's disappointing campaign. 

"[Gase] didn't want Bell in the first place because he prefers a 'committee' backfield instead of having a high-priced feature back, but he was overruled by former GM Mike Maccagnan. My hunch is he will push for a trade," Cimini wrote.

Unfortunately for the Jets, Bell's underwhelming performance takes some luster off his trade value. Douglas may have to settle for a third-rounder to unload his starting tailback.

The Washington Redskins don't have an established long-term option at the position. Adrian Peterson will turn 35 years old in March, and Derrius Guice has battled knee injuries since entering the league in 2018, suiting up for just five games. Rookie fourth-rounder Bryce Love is recovering from a torn ACL and sat out all of 2019.

When in Carolina, new Redskins head coach Ron Rivera had Christian McCaffrey—a dual-threat running back who handled most of the carries and caught 303 passes for 2,523 yards and 15 touchdowns through three seasons. Bell fits the same mold. In 77 contests, he's racked up 9,246 yards from scrimmage, and approximately 34 percent of that output was as a pass-catcher.

Rivera would obtain a featured ball-carrier still in his prime to help Dwayne Haskins under center. Unless left tackle Trent Williams returns and then re-signs, the Redskins need to bolster their pass protection, but Bell could become a reliable option on short throws.

I think we'd only see Bell moved during the season, prior to the trade deadline.  If there's a 6-3 team in November that is heading towards the playoffs and loses their RB they could be willing to take on Bell's price tag for the remainder of the 2020 season.  A lot of things would need to line up for that to happen - A RB need by a competitive team, that team having the Cap space, the Jets having a reasonable group of RBs to step up into the vacancy for their running game, etc.

2 hours ago, KRL said:

Beyond stupid, he shouldn't be allowed to write about football ever again

He shouldn't be allowed to cross the street unsupervised.

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

No way... he isn't even worth a 3rd at this stage.... you guys are delusional... He has a cancerous tumor in his head where he can't put on a helmet yet the Jet fan is so starved for any offensive lineman they are like sure... why not...  

I agree that his value is fairly low, but I thought he was cleared to play last summer?   He owes the Redskins over $2M in fines.  I can't imagine they could fine him like that if he can't even put on a helmet.  The Pats supposedly offered a 1st really early on, but I don't see it.  I don't think people realize the amount the value of a trade drops from the deadline in 2019 to now.  As with Adams, you lose a half a year of team control and the ability to salvage the season.  Trent Williams value is considerably lower now than in the summer and fall of 2019. 

1 hour ago, Jets0712 said:

No not any offensive lineman. A 7 time pro bowl lineman for a 2 Nd.... how de we do with 2 Nd round picks???

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

HAHAHA, failed argument... JD has never had a draft... don't even start with the past draft picks... they have no relevance to this regime. A 7 time pro-bowler that hasn't played in years and has a cancerous tumor preventing him from wearing a normal helmet on the back end his career... sounds like a winner. Why not give up a 1st and 2nd.... that sounds smart... 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

He shouldn't be allowed to cross the street unsupervised.

I agree that his value is fairly low, but I thought he was cleared to play last summer?   He owes the Redskins over $2M in fines.  I can't imagine they could fine him like that if he can't even put on a helmet.  The Pats supposedly offered a 1st really early on, but I don't see it.  I don't think people realize the amount the value of a trade drops from the deadline in 2019 to now.  As with Adams, you lose a half a year of team control and the ability to salvage the season.  Trent Williams value is considerably lower now than in the summer and fall of 2019. 

He tried to get back on the field to play and he couldn't put on his helmet... So the team NFI'd him. He wanted to come back and get his money, they used the helmet as an excuse not to pay him.  Look it up... 

Pats offered a first for a 2nd and trent in return... They offered a trade down from a late 1st to an early 2nd... that is not the same as offering a first.

HAHAHA, failed argument... JD has never had a draft... don't even start with the past draft picks... they have no relevance to this regime. A 7 time pro-bowler that hasn't played in years and has a cancerous tumor preventing him from wearing a normal helmet on the back end his career... sounds like a winner. Why not give up a 1st and 2nd.... that sounds smart... 

No. I just said 2nd. True past drafts have no bearing on this draft. Just say injury aside. If he’s cleared. I would give up our 2. That’s all I’m saying

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

4th rdr tops.  The skins are stupid and should have moved him for whatever they could last offseason. As soon as he said he would never play for the skins again it should have been done. There was a rumor that the Pats offered their 1st. A 2nd for a guy who refuses to play?  Take it and move on. I'd make the call and offer a 4th and consider throwing in a player such as.... um.... actually we don't have anyone of value.  A 4th it is. 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, jgb said:

Do it but I suggest trading 11 down to end of round and picking up some more picks then giving the low 1 for Williams.

An oft injured 31 year old is still an oft injured 31 year old even if you use a low 1st instead of the 11th on him.

If he's not playing and misses another season it doesn't become a good trade because we used a lower 1st on him.  

Jets need, desperately to get LT right IMO

I continue to doubt that an older, injured O-Lineman who is bitter and angry about the medical staff malfeasance of his current horrible team will accept a trade to another horrible team with a prominent O-lineman who was bitter and angry about that team's medical staff malfeasance.

Maybe it's just me.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

An oft injured 31 year old is still an oft injured 31 year old even if you use a low 1st instead of the 11th on him.

If he's not playing and misses another season it doesn't become a good trade because we used a lower 1st on him.  

Jets need, desperately to get LT right IMO

There is always the "if" element. You may think he's too big a risk, that's a fair point. I still think a chance at 3-4 years of an elite LT is worth that risk, but probably not for #11.

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

There is always the "if" element. You may think he's too big a risk, that's a fair point. I still think a chance at 3-4 years of an elite LT is worth that risk, but probably not for #11.

I'm more worried over the loss of a 1st if he doesn't work out than the risk of him not playing.  

Only because I would rather risk the loss of a 1st a player who deserves to be taken with that pick.  I'm thinking long term we'd be better off using that pick on a OL draft pick. 

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I'm more worried over the loss of a 1st if he doesn't work out than the risk of him not playing.  

Only because I would rather risk the loss of a 1st a player who deserves to be taken with that pick.  I'm thinking long term we'd be better off using that pick on a OL draft pick. 

It's fair although in my scenario, trading from 11 down to the 20s might well get us another first next year or at least a couple 2s, to use on OL.

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

There's no chance we could get 3-4 years of elite LT play out of him, so toss that out of the window immediately.  Unless you're taking PEDs all the time and getting away with it, NFL players at nearly all positions start a steep decline at about 32 years old.  So as a starting point, you're only talking about 2 more years of potential elite LT play.

THEN you have to bake his health into his value.  Obviously he missed all of 2019 on his own volition, but prior to that, he'd missed between 1-6 games every year for 5 straight years.  So now you can only assume, at most, about 25-28 regular season games of elite LT play over 2 seasons.

Now also factor in that sitting out the year does him no favors.  We saw that impact Le'Veon Bell.  You can talk a big game about your offseason workout program all you want.  It doesn't matter.  A voluntary offseason workout program will never come close to a mandatory workout program in intensity and effectiveness.  And I struggle to imagine Trent Williams matching Le'Veon in workout intensity.  

So now you have to assume Trent shows up to camp out of shape.  Hardly ready to play at an elite level.  Go ahead and chop off the first 4 games with his new team when using the word "elite play".

NOW, what is Trent Williams worth for, at most, 20-24 elite regular season games at LT?  Keep in mind we'd need to hand him a new contract too.  

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

There's no chance we could get 3-4 years of elite LT play out of him, so toss that out of the window immediately.  Unless you're taking PEDs all the time and getting away with it, NFL players at nearly all positions start a steep decline at about 32 years old.  So as a starting point, you're only talking about 2 more years of potential elite LT play.

THEN you have to bake his health into his value.  Obviously he missed all of 2019 on his own volition, but prior to that, he'd missed between 1-6 games every year for 5 straight years.  So now you can only assume, at most, about 25-28 regular season games of elite LT play over 2 seasons.

Now also factor in that sitting out the year does him no favors.  We saw that impact Le'Veon Bell.  You can talk a big game about your offseason workout program all you want.  It doesn't matter.  A voluntary offseason workout program will never come close to a mandatory workout program in intensity and effectiveness.  And I struggle to imagine Trent Williams matching Le'Veon in workout intensity.  

So now you have to assume Trent shows up to camp out of shape.  Hardly ready to play at an elite level.  Go ahead and chop off the first 4 games with his new team when using the word "elite play".

NOW, what is Trent Williams worth for, at most, 20-24 elite regular season games at LT?  Keep in mind we'd need to hand him a new contract too.  

What would you trade for him in terms of draft capital, or is he on your "do not want" list?

1 minute ago, jgb said:

It's fair although in my scenario, trading from 11 down to the 20s might well get us another first next year or at least a couple 2s, to use on OL.

I agree, tempted by the additional picks too.  With the depth at WR and one needs if theres a market for our #11 pick I would hope we pull off the trade

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

What would you trade for him in terms of draft capital, or is he on your "do not want" list?

To me that's worth no more than a 4th round pick.  Ideally a conditional 4th.  Especially since we have a Plan B to that:  Bring back Beachum.  He's far from elite but he's capable, and doesn't come with the risks that Williams does.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

This would be a great trade, the Jets should strongly consider this, as long as the compensation back to the Skins is a 3rd round pick.

I wouldn't even trade a 2nd rounder.

Considering both our 3rd rounders are early 3rd's, I think that would be paying too much.  SEE:  My earlier post.

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

This would be a great trade, the Jets should strongly consider this, as long as the compensation back to the Skins is a 3rd round pick.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Considering both our 3rd rounders are early 3rd's, I think that would be paying too much.  SEE:  My earlier post.

Would be a great scenario. You're probably both right that Skins will be forced to move off their first rounder demand.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

To me that's worth no more than a 4th round pick.  Ideally a conditional 4th.  Especially since we have a Plan B to that:  Bring back Beachum.  He's far from elite but he's capable, and doesn't come with the risks that Williams does.  

There is a good chance that Williams would be cheaper for 2020.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Would be a great scenario. You're probably both right that Skins will be forced to move off their first rounder demand.

Nope.  And the closer we get to the draft the lower his value drops.  Teams spend all offseason getting excited and fully invested in the draft.  They fall in love with players.  It becomes harder and harder to give up precious draft picks for a big risk like Williams.

Best bet for the Redskins might end up being to wait for Day 2/3 of the draft to come around and for teams to start to realize Williams is better value than the guys left on the board.  OR wait until after the draft and trade 2021 picks.  

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Nah. It would have to be a third day pick at this point. There's no way that Washington's leverage got stronger through all this. I'd also bet that seeing results from the last high-priced FA addition with significant time off just went, they'd be a little gunshy here too. I say try to sign Fant or resign Beachum and draft our LT in rd1. I cant see a situation where all top 4 are gone. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yeah they are going to miss on one of the 3rd rounders anyway lol.

I agree with what you wrote, I think the Skins are way overplaying their hand. They aren't getting a 1st or 2nd rounder for him. I'd be thrilled with a 4th.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, freestater said:

Nah. It would have to be a third day pick at this point. There's no way that Washington's leverage got stronger through all this. I'd also bet that seeing results from the last high-priced FA addition with significant time off just went, they'd be a little gunshy here too. I say try to sign Fant or resign Beachum and draft our LT in rd1. I cant see a situation where all top 4 are gone. 

No you have to patch this oline and take a wide receiver in round one. Edoga all the way. So what he doesn't work out. You don't need a right tackle who can bench press.

Edit: Sorry Macc hacked my account.

• Haha 2

No you have to patch this oline and take a wide receiver in round one. Edoga all the way. So what he doesn't work out. You don't need a right tackle who can bench press.

Edit: Sorry Macc hacked my account.

Edoga blocked so well that our new edge rusher (2nd best in the draft) didnt last through training camp. That's how badass he is. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Nope.  And the closer we get to the draft the lower his value drops.  Teams spend all offseason getting excited and fully invested in the draft.  They fall in love with players.  It becomes harder and harder to give up precious draft picks for a big risk like Williams.

Best bet for the Redskins might end up being to wait for Day 2/3 of the draft to come around and for teams to start to realize Williams is better value than the guys left on the board.  OR wait until after the draft and trade 2021 picks.  

Wait until the draft and I am not giving up 2020 picks.  I will wait until after and give up 2021 picks.  The only way I am comfortable giving up anything serious for a guy like Williams is having him in, physical, make sure he actually wants to play for you.  Make sure he is satisfied with his contract or what you will pay.  Can't do that without Redskins approval and I am not swapping picks on draft day without it.

Yeah they are going to miss on one of the 3rd rounders anyway lol.

Sure, the one they don't trade away.

• Upvote 2

On 2/4/2020 at 11:37 AM, SR24 said:

If we trade #11 for a 30yr old LT with injury history i'll be pretty pissed. He's a nasty LT but that's too rich for my blood I could be convinced to send a 2nd but not #11

Our 11th? He’ll yeah do it. Trent is worth our 11th round pick- what’s that the 341st pick in the draft.