BettyBoop

Building The NY Chiefs

11 minutes ago, rangerous said:

imo, the team to mimic are the niners.  the chiefs have that wunderkind at qb plus decent offensive players.  the rest of the team isn't that great.  the niners are way more balanced and  have both a good offense and defense.   also the niners lost that game more than the chiefs winning it.  they easily could've played a rope a dope running game after mahomes 2nd int and run the clock out.  they didn't.  and then they had t have garapollo win it for them which he was incapable of doing.

I'd say that the Chiefs offensive players are considerably better than "decent," but I do agree that the 49ers are a more realistic team to model. 

Mahomes is a generational talent. 

31 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Every time a team wins a SB there's someone creating a thread on how to mimic that team.  

It gets old.  

Correct. 

A lot of different formulas have resulted in a SB title. 

Great defense/power running game (e.g. 2000 Ravens), explosive/high flying passing game (1999 Rams), jack of all trades team (most NE titles), etc. 

Let's start by drafting a some really good players at impact positions (OT, OG, WR, OLB, CB) and take it from there. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i'm not saying mahomes isn't a great qb at the moment or won't be in the foreseeable future but i think it depends on what is meant by generational.  just a few weeks ago lamar jackson was a generational talent.  what kind of time span?  if it's 5 years or maybe even 10 then mahomes can be considered generational.  if you go out much longer then there are guys like rodgers, or brees or even brady that fit the bill.

I wouldn’t call Mahomes a generational player just yet, but I would double down on the generational talent label.

He is basically the best combination of arm strength, arm speed, accuracy, and mobility that I have seen since . . . ? (Not sure) 

Whether he can sustain his level of excellence for a full career 10-15 year career remains to be seen, but if he stays healthy, I like his chances. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

so was goff before he wasnt.

pretty watkins and others dont really matter. Williams for example. What they drafted was mahomes - crazy talent - and Hill who can beat anyone.

BUT

THE LINE THE LINE THE LINE. Untill it is unquestionable good, we sshould be spending 2 of the top three picks we have on OL.

I’m not sure who thought Goff was a generational talent, but I sure didn’t. Lol

agree on the line. Our line isn’t currently good enough to talk seriously about contending for anything 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

That word gets tossed around too much.  

I wanted Wentz over Goff but at the time would have been thrilled with either.  Doesn't mean they're "generational" talents.  Elway was a generational talent, and this was seen as true the moment he entered the draft. 

Andrew Luck was probably the next one, though of course that didn't work out so well.  

totally agree.

we are talking about Elway, Marino, possibly Peyton, Luck, and Mahomes.

(possibly Rogers?) 

But Mahomes is probably as physically gifted as anyone I have ever seen. This doesn’t mean his career will live up to that. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, JetsLife said:

Wrong, for you and the poster you replied to. 

It’s not about mimicking the Chiefs, not least there’s only one Mahomes. 

It’s about acknowledging the obvious reality of this NFL era: you must be able to light up the scoreboard first and foremost.  Playoff teams and SB winners/participants in recent seasons are a who’s who of the NFL’s highest scoring teams. Baltimore, KC, SF, New Orleans, Green Bay, Dallas, Minnesota, New England, Tennessee, Houston and so on. In this high scoring era middling offenses are generally wild cards at best in this era. Whereas in prior eras, you could win with a shutdown defense and a possession-based offense that did just enough. Now it’s the reverse and has been for years since the NFL became the new NFL, the National Fantasy (football) League. Defenders can barely lay a finger on a receiver past 5 yards - so scoring shot up dramatically for years now. 

You are generally correct that scoring is the name of today’s game, but most SB winning teams in recent years have had at least a good defense (Eagles had the 4th ranked defense in 2017, the Pats had 7th ranked defense in 2018, the Broncos arguably had the best defense in the league in 2015, etc) and a few have had an elite defense. 

Championship teams usually have to be able to do both competently and there will always be examples of both dominant offenses and dominant defenses winning the super bowl.

There is no formula and there never will be 

• Upvote 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company