Jags to play back to back games in London

jetsons

This is the first significant test of whether moving a NFL team to London permanently could work.  The NFL reaaallly wants to do this in order to grow the game internationally and to financially support the Jaguars.  Florida has 3 NFL teams and the Falcons play just a couple hundred miles away from Jacksonville.  There is no other professional sports team in Jacksonville and the stadium is often 50% empty.  In fact, most Jacksonville residents have been fans of either Atlanta's professional sports teams or Miami's.

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

You need to get out more.

London and Jacksonville are arguably the 2 greatest cities in the world.  

THE two greatest?  You need to travel a little more my friend. :P

And I like Jacksonville, have spent a lot of time there.  Still have at least 3 balls lost in the woods down at Sawgrass. lol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Why ding their fans for two home games?  Make one home and one away.  Unless ticket sales suck that bad in JAX in which case this is definitely a market test for moving them.

Not to mention robbing the team of two home games.

19 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

They should just relocate to London and be done with it. Atleast they will sell out games in London. And create a bigger audience for the league

St Louis wasn't a market the NFL wanted.  San Diego wasn't a market the NFL wanted.  Jacksonville isn't a market the NFL wants.  There is always this natural "awww well, its inevitable" kind of reaction whenever outright greed is brought up.   That's all it is.  I cant think of enabled group of scumbags in worldwide sports than NFL owners  There's Shad living rent free in a yacht of the Florida coast as he takes away a team Jacksonbille fans have supported since day one.  (22nd in attendance for a team that bad is more than the Steelers drew.)  ****.  The way they can rely on consent among NFL fans... go hog wild guys!  Just start taking baseball bats outside of the NFL draft and start destroying fans' cars at random.  They will probably thank you for it.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

St Louis wasn't a market the NFL wanted.  San Diego wasn't a market the NFL wanted.  Jacksonville isn't a market the NFL wants.  There is always this natural "awww well, its inevitable" kind of reaction whenever outright greed is brought up.   That's all it is.  I cant think of enabled group of scumbags in worldwide sports than NFL owners  There's Shad living rent free in a yacht of the Florida coast as he takes away a team Jacksonbille fans have supported since day one.  (22nd in attendance for a team that bad is more than the Steelers drew.)  ****.  The way they can manufacture consent among NFL fans... go hog wild guys!  Just start taking baseball bats outside of the NFL draft and start destroying fans' cars at random.  They will probably thank you for it.

I think the NFL did want SD, but 1 moronic owner wanted to go to LA.   LA, which has not historically supported 1 NFL team well, now has 2, and a problem.

For the Jags, that 2nd game is a huge advantage, they will already be there, less jetlag, less culture shock of "we are in a different country".  They can't sell out their home games anyway, so now they only have to sell 6 instead of 8, and they get 2 more sellouts.   It does kind of screw over the people who work at their home games, those people lose out on jobs for 2 weeks.

14 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

They should just relocate to London and be done with it. Atleast they will sell out games in London. And create a bigger audience for the league

10 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Why ding their fans for two home games?  Make one home and one away.  Unless ticket sales suck that bad in JAX in which case this is definitely a market test for moving them.

The actual logic behind it is because they're doing more renovations to the stadium.  One of the biggest parking lots is being turned into a small "wrigleyville" if you will.  It's going to be a riverfront entertainment district catered to the sports/concert activities downtown, which desperately needs the investment.  The rationale is that this is going to be a major disruption to have during the season so they're using the opportunity to just stay for 2 weeks.  Or at least that's how they're pitching it. 

I dont see Kahn going to London with the team permanently.  He's invested heavily in the city to build a better game day experience and I think the stadium renovation is around the corner.  I think he plans to keep it here.  He already has a London based soccer team.

Could be wrong though, dudes filthy rich so this is just play money anyway. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

St Louis wasn't a market the NFL wanted.  San Diego wasn't a market the NFL wanted.  Jacksonville isn't a market the NFL wants.  There is always this natural "awww well, its inevitable" kind of reaction whenever outright greed is brought up.   That's all it is.  I cant think of enabled group of scumbags in worldwide sports than NFL owners  There's Shad living rent free in a yacht of the Florida coast as he takes away a team Jacksonbille fans have supported since day one.  (22nd in attendance for a team that bad is more than the Steelers drew.)  ****.  The way they can rely ob consent among NFL fans... go hog wild guys!  Just start taking baseball bats outside of the NFL draft and start destroying fans' cars at random.  They will probably thank you for it.

The NFL isn't a charity for low-performing cities.

You want to start the Charity Football League, by all means, have at it! 

If you go that route, please get Richmond VA a team if we're going to have one of those kinds of leagues.  I like the name "Generals" for my new Richmond team, thanks! :)

Sadly, in the real world, cities who under perform tend to loose their teams.  DC lost TWO Baseball teams for that reason.  Because DC back then couldn't properly support them.  Now it can (fingers crossed).

Jacksonville is a fringe city orf pro sports.  Not an attack, just a fact.  Hell, I'm surprised Detroit still has a team in anything, that place is a disaster.

But as some places decline, new places will spring up, or older places will revitalize.  That's just how it works.  

59 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

This is the first significant test of whether moving a NFL team to London permanently could work.  The NFL reaaallly wants to do this in order to grow the game internationally and to financially support the Jaguars.  Florida has 3 NFL teams and the Falcons play just a couple hundred miles away from Jacksonville.  There is no other professional sports team in Jacksonville and the stadium is often 50% empty.  In fact, most Jacksonville residents have been fans of either Atlanta's professional sports teams or Miami's.

Jax actually does better than both the Bucs and the Fins from a ticket sale and attendance and revenue perspective. 

56 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

THE two greatest?  You need to travel a little more my friend. :P

And I like Jacksonville, have spent a lot of time there.  Still have at least 3 balls lost in the woods down at Sawgrass. lol

I've traveled the world my friend.  4 Continents, 27 countries, surfed in 3 oceans.  

Typically I hear how many balls someone lost on 17, lol.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Jax actually does better than both the Bucs and the Fins from a ticket sale and attendance perspective. 

I've traveled the world my friend.  4 Continents, 27 countries, surfed in 3 oceans.  

Typically I hear how many balls someone lost on 17, lol.  

You can lose some balls in the sticks on the 2nd hole if you aren’t hitting it straight that day.  

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

You can lose some balls in the sticks on the 2nd hole if you aren’t hitting it straight that day.  

Oh, you can lose your ball in a plenty of places on the course.  If the rough is high, you can sometimes have a hard time finding it altogether of the tee.  I'm just saying, most of the time you hear about someone playing Sawgrass the story is about their experience on golf's most famous hole. 

22 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The NFL isn't a charity for low-performing cities.

You want to start the Charity Football League, by all means, have at it! 

If you go that route, please get Richmond VA a team if we're going to have one of those kinds of leagues.  I like the name "Generals" for my new Richmond team, thanks! :)

Sadly, in the real world, cities who under perform tend to loose their teams.  DC lost TWO Baseball teams for that reason.  Because DC back then couldn't properly support them.  Now it can (fingers crossed).

Jacksonville is a fringe city orf pro sports.  Not an attack, just a fact.  Hell, I'm surprised Detroit still has a team in anything, that place is a disaster.

But as some places decline, new places will spring up, or older places will revitalize.  That's just how it works.  

How is Jacksonville a low performing city?  There are many teams that draw less fans than they do.  Hell.  The Chargers who are in LA, one of the biggest markets in the world... draw several thousands less fans.  What would moving the Jaguars across the Atlantic Ocean do?  If you destroy established fan bases then when league interest dips... you won't have any!