Joe Flacco as the backup in 2020?

26 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Wonder how competitive he still is.  Those last few games he played for Denver he looked about as thrilled as Iggy Pop fronting The Osmonds.

He kind of looked like he was punching a clock and collecting a pay check all year.  I don't want a guy with that little mojo anywhere near Sam.  

8 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

I think he's a viable target if the Broncos release him. Sam Darnold would have a Super Bowl MVP as a mentor. Joe Flacco has already been quoted as saying he'll go the backup route next season. If Flacco's cleared to play in 2020, and the Broncos release him to save cap space, I think Joe Douglas will target Flacco in free agency to be the Jets backup quarterback in 2020. Jets GM Joe Douglas actually discovered Flacco at Delaware while working as the Ravens Northeast area scout. The two Joe's have history.

Didn't Flacco make some news last offseason saying something like "I'm not here to mentor anyone." when asked about how he could help lock?   Seems like a dickhole to me.  I don't want that around the Golden Ginger! 

51 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Didn't Flacco make some news last offseason saying something like "I'm not here to mentor anyone." when asked about how he could help lock?   Seems like a dickhole to me.  I don't want that around the Golden Ginger! 

Flacco wants to continue drawing an NFL salary, so expect a new wanna mentor attitude. 

22 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Flacco wants to continue drawing an NFL salary, so expect a new wanna mentor attitude. 

haha. good point.  I still wouldn't expect sunshine and roses ala Josh McCown if Flacco is the backup. He'd be eying sneaking into the starter roll as soon as he could imo.  

It seems I may not like him very much.  lol 

• Haha 1

He'd be able to leave it and get more elsewhere AND a chance to compete for starting duties.  Pretty simple.  The market has been fairly well established for high-end backup QB's.  Keenum, Bridgewater and Tannehill all made $7-7.5M per this past season.

His starting days are over unless someone gets hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

3 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

His starting days are over unless someone gets hurt.

Not with the shortage of QBs leaguewide.  There's only about 8 good or better QB's in the league right now, and a lot of trash ones.  He'll be a journeyman the rest of his career, but will definitely get starts here and there due to poor performance by the starters he backs up.  

1 hour ago, jgb said:

We need 2 QBs. Get a vet and draft one in round 4 or 5.

Carrying 3 QBs on your active roster just seems silly in this day and age.  I get that we needed to use our QB3 last season, but that's not at all common.  

If we draft a QB in the 4th/5th, a veteran backup is not really needed.  Grab a UDFA and put him on the PS as your QB3.

18 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No chance in the world Flacco would only accept $5M.  High end backups typically go for $8M or more.  

Matt Moore would be a good one.  He only made $2.6M over the last 2 years so he'd come at a good price too.

Nate Sudfeld (Eagles FA) would make the most logical sense to at least bring in for a look though, given that Douglas was in Philly when they drafted him in the 6th round.  

I like the idea of Matt Moore as our backup. I trust him coming in and managing for a game or two. I'm not a fan of Flacco and I sure wouldn't give him more than 3-4 million. 

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Carrying 3 QBs on your active roster just seems silly in this day and age.  I get that we needed to use our QB3 last season, but that's not at all common.  

If we draft a QB in the 4th/5th, a veteran backup is not really needed.  Grab a UDFA and put him on the PS as your QB3.

I dunno, with Darnold's availability question marks, carrying 3 not such a bad idea. We clearly need a guy who has the potential for .500 ball if Darnold misses time. Hard to trust a 4th/5th. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

I dunno, with Darnold's availability question marks, carrying 3 not such a bad idea. We clearly need a guy who has the potential for .500 ball if Darnold misses time. Hard to trust a 4th/5th. 

Considering Darnold's career record is 11-15, if we can find a guy who can play .500 ball with this sh*t roster, name him the starter.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

What about Mariota?

Also likely to be too expensive.  

It's pretty simple.  If the guy has significant starter experience there's no real reason to bring him in.  We're f**ked whether Darnold gets hurt or not.  Spending $7M+ on the backup QB slot when we need 3-4 new Offensive Linemen is a poor allocation of resources.

Regardless of how bad Siemian was when he got into games, that's the level of backup QB we should be targeting.  Nate Sudfeld makes the most sense to me.

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Also likely to be too expensive.  

It's pretty simple.  If the guy has significant starter experience there's no real reason to bring him in.  We're f**ked whether Darnold gets hurt or not.  Spending $7M+ on the backup QB slot when we need 3-4 new Offensive Linemen is a poor allocation of resources.

Regardless of how bad Siemian was when he got into games, that's the level of backup QB we should be targeting.  Nate Sudfeld makes the most sense to me.

I actually want a fire lit under Darnold. Some schlub isn't going to do that. JD should understand the value of a legitimate backup QB seeing as one won SB MVP while he was with the team.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, jgb said:

I actually want a fire lit under Darnold. Some schlub isn't going to do that. JD should understand the value of a legitimate backup QB seeing as one won SB MVP while he was with the team.

We're still doing this bullsh*t with young QBs?  No backup is going to make Darnold play better.  He has enough motivation ahead of him in the form of a 2nd contract. 

We don't need to be spending big money on a backup for a silly purpose like that.  If Sam doesn't step his game up in Year 3 it'll be because he's not a good QB, not because the backup didn't "push him" enough.  

Douglas sees value in a backup QB....for a championship-caliber squad.  We're not anywhere close to that.  We're a 7-9 team that might drop to 6-10 or 5-11 if Sam misses a couple games.  The horror!

19 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He'd be able to leave it and get more elsewhere AND a chance to compete for starting duties.  Pretty simple.  The market has been fairly well established for high-end backup QB's.  Keenum, Bridgewater and Tannehill all made $7-7.5M per this past season.

That’s not really accurate.

• Keenum was on a 2 year $36MM contract to be the starter in Denver. When Washington traded for him it was to be the backup, at $3.5MM and nothing more. 
  • When he was traded to Tennessee, Tannehill agreed to a contract for $2MM plus incentives. If Flacco goes to the Jets or anywhere, and has Tannehill’s 2019 season, I’d say he’ll have earned his $4MM in bonuses. But if Tannehill stayed as the backup all season - and played as much as Falk did for the 2019 Jets - I think his cost would have stayed at $2MM. 
  • Bridgewater is the only one who got $7MM for the season, and that’s because they were very much contenders and had to at least thinking about him soon taking over for Brees - already 40, never know when he’ll hit the wall, could up & retire at any time, plus only had 1 year left on his deal - so they don’t have to then begin a search while the rest of the team is a contender. 

I doubt very much Flacco will get an $8MM base salary if he’s going to a team where he’s entrenched as the backup from day one. More likely it’d be similar to Tannehill: he’ll get paid $2-4MM to be the backup (maybe add another $1MM for inflation), and if he ends up starting he’ll appropriately get a big bonus because he’ll be performing more than just backup duties. He’d still be underpaid in that scenario, but he’ll have increased his value for free agency a year later, even at 36.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We're still doing this bullsh*t with young QBs?  No backup is going to make Darnold play better.  He has enough motivation ahead of him in the form of a 2nd contract. 

We don't need to be spending big money on a backup for a silly purpose like that.  If Sam doesn't step his game up in Year 3 it'll be because he's not a good QB, not because the backup didn't "push him" enough.  

Douglas sees value in a backup QB....for a championship-caliber squad.  We're not anywhere close to that.  We're a 7-9 team that might drop to 6-10 or 5-11 if Sam misses a couple games.  The horror!

Well we just disagree. JD probably won't go for one of these plus backups because he knows this team isn't ready.

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That’s not really accurate.

• Keenum was on a 2 year $36MM contract to be the starter in Denver. When Washington traded for him it was to be the backup, at $3.5MM and nothing more. 
  • When he was traded to Tennessee, Tannehill agreed to a contract for $2MM plus incentives. If Flacco goes to the Jets or anywhere, and has Tannehill’s 2019 season, I’d say he’ll have earned his $4MM in bonuses. But if Tannehill stayed as the backup all season - and played as much as Falk did for the 2019 Jets - I think his cost would have stayed at $2MM. 
  • Bridgewater is the only one who got $7MM for the season, and that’s because they were very much contenders and had to at least thinking about him soon taking over for Brees - already 40, never know when he’ll hit the wall, could up & retire at any time, plus only had 1 year left on his deal - so they don’t have to then begin a search while the rest of the team is a contender. 

I doubt very much Flacco will get an $8MM base salary if he’s going to a team where he’s entrenched as the backup from day one. More likely it’d be similar to Tannehill: he’ll get paid $2-4MM to be the backup (maybe add another $1MM for inflation), and if he ends up starting he’ll appropriately get a big bonus because he’ll be performing more than just backup duties. He’d still be underpaid in that scenario, but he’ll have increased his value for free agency a year later, even at 36.

Flacco is a more accomplished NFL QB than any of the guys listed.  That's where I figured $8M would be a good estimate.

Even if its $6.5-$7M, that's far too much for my liking.  

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

The Eagles paid Nick Foles $4M the year he won the SB.

$4M is a good number to target as a cap.  

Referring to Sperm's post, I think you may overestimate the cost of some of these guys. Could've had Tannehill for $2M. Jeeze, Macc.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Referring to Sperm's post, I think you may overestimate the cost of some of these guys.

Maybe.  But you also have to factor in how few good QB's there are.  There's a "changing of the guard" going on in the NFL with QBs right now, and there are a lot of bad/horrific ones across the board.  That will drive up the price of less-than-stellar options.  

I was only basing my estimates on 2019 salaries.  I didn't look further back than that to see what the "average" high-end backup was going for in previous seasons.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Maybe.  But you also have to factor in how few good QB's there are.  There's a "changing of the guard" going on in the NFL with QBs right now, and there are a lot of bad/horrific ones across the board.  That will drive up the price of less-than-stellar options.  

I was only basing my estimates on 2019 salaries.  I didn't look further back than that to see what the "average" high-end backup was going for in previous seasons.

I still think JD goes with a vet and a drafted rook. Whether they both make the roster, different question.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

I still think JD goes with a vet and a drafted rook. Whether they both make the roster, different question.

I think if he gets a veteran of any substance, that drops the chances we use a pick on a QB.  At least not a pick any higher than a 6th rounder.  After all, Sudfeld was a 6th rounder.  

• Upvote 1

I think the most likely team to pay him $8MM kind of money to be the backup from day one would be Denver, unless they still just hate him for mouthing off on the playcalling, even after firing Joseph. Even that’d purely be because their cap is ****ed a bit if they have to outright cut him in 2020 after converting some $17MM of 2019 salary into signing bonus in September. Plus they still need to find a backup because Brandon Allen is a waste of mile high oxygen. But is that really good for Lock if he has a string of a few bad games - it’ll happen eventually - to have teammates and fans calling for Flacco? Also with Lock’s cap hit at just $1.5MM they could actually absorb it all in 1 year, sign a veteran at ~$4MM and have their QB position cost under $20MM — still lower than most teams. Then next year they’re 100% clear of the Flacco mistake.

Next up would be a more or less lock contender team with a very low cost starter — e.g. going back to Baltimore. But the optics of that suck ass with the AA stud / league MVP making less than 1/3 of that, so I’m doubtful even that happens unless it’s for normal backup money.

So maybe a contender with a moderate cost starter like maybe Tennessee, if they can sign a starter to $22MM or less among Tannehill / Brady / Bridgewater / other (and spread a good amt of both QBs’ hits to 2021+). Who else is in that situation? Maybe Oakland, but if they are it’ll be because of Carr’s $22MM cap hit allowing them to spend that money on other positions. Wherever he goes they’d better have an elite line. He was sacked 9% of the time, but Drew Lock (not exactly Lamar Jackson himself) managed to get sacked at just 1/3 that rate. 

No one else is paying 35 year-old Flacco $8MM to be just the backup all season long. If he gets $8MM it’ll be to a team that doesn’t have a starter and is looking to get one in the draft a month later. But then he’s signing on to potentially be the starter not the backup initially, until a rookie shows he can take pro snaps without soiling himself Rosen-style (and even then only if the team is losing with Flacco). 

Plus I think he may have really cost himself by opening his big yapper to call out his HC/OC after that game. Someone will sign him, but no HC wants that - not on the podium, and not whispering around in his locker room or practice field - unless he’s desperate. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Flacco is a more accomplished NFL QB than any of the guys listed.  That's where I figured $8M would be a good estimate.

Even if its $6.5-$7M, that's far too much for my liking.  

Lovely ;). He’s not getting $7MM to be the backup from game 1 to the finish. Not after calling out his HC on the podium, even if it was freaking Vance Joseph. 

Flacco may be accomplished as a SB-winning QB, but he was rarely the straw that stirred the drink in Baltimore, who was a .500 team with him since that 2012-season superbowl.

He’s 35 already, and has just accepted his role may have to be different from now on. When was his last decent season — 2014?

If he gets $7MM or more it’ll be in bonus form, earned for starting a lot of games and more. Just like other veteran backups. The way it should be. There are a couple situations around the league where he might possibly have the value to make $6.5MM as his floor, but it’s still very unlikely unless he’s their starter heading into the draft.

Only one making that was Bridgewater and he has neither Bridgewater’s youth nor upside. Not even on a contender, as Flacco showed with Baltimore in 2018. 

• Upvote 1