Joe Flacco as the backup in 2020?

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Lovely ;). He’s not getting $7MM to be the backup from game 1 to the finish. Not after calling out his HC on the podium, even if it was freaking Vance Joseph. 

Flacco may be accomplished as a SB-winning QB, but he was rarely the straw that stirred the drink in Baltimore, who was a .500 team with him since that 2012-season superbowl.

He’s 35 already, and has just accepted his role may have to be different from now on. When was his last decent season — 2014?

If he gets $7MM or more it’ll be in bonus form, earned for starting a lot of games and more. Just like other veteran backups. The way it should be. There are a couple situations around the league where he might possibly have the value to make $6.5MM as his floor, but it’s still very unlikely unless he’s their starter heading into the draft.

Only one making that was Bridgewater and he has neither Bridgewater’s youth nor upside. Not even on a contender, as Flacco showed with Baltimore in 2018. 

So would you sign Flacco for market value?

There will be a big market for backups considering all of the injuries. And the fact that if your starting Qb goes down that could be the end of your season even for a good team if the backup is inadequate. So salaries for good backups will probably be high around 10 million per for players like Flacco and that's a big pay cut for him. Also an easier life if you don't have to play that much. Some teams will go cheaper for Qbs like Geno Smith etc. who you can sign for 2 or 3 million. As for us I can't see Flacco but I would overpay for someone with experience. 

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

I just can't see Flacco getting that kind of money if he's released from the Broncos.

Me neither. No one is paying $10M to player they are bringing in as a backup. This is why guys like Cutler retire, only to come back after a starter spot opens. Obviously they are plenty good to be backups still but aren't going to do it for what's offered and teams won't pay more. Flacco's best/only bet to get $10M (pro-rated over however many games are left in the season) is to wait until a starter goes down.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

I just can't see Flacco getting that kind of money if he's released from the Broncos.

I don't think the 10 mil is that high a figure in 2020 for a good backup. Starters are starting to top the 30 mil figure. I mean look the Qb is probably the elite player position in all of sports. Player salaries are going way up probably much of it thanks to the NBA Players Assoc. The NFL for a long time has gotten away with underpaying players. The next contract if negotiated correctly by the union should be a big change with players on all levels getting more cash. 

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So would you sign Flacco for market value?

No, I don't think it's necessary. Plus I think he sucks, and if Darnold gets hurt for an extended period of time we're not going to win all these games or a SB with him any more than without him. The games will be closer, but at age 35 I don't have much confidence in him as a winner. 

Show me the team is actually a contender in 2020 first, where even a game manager would have us at 10-6 in Darnold's place, then we'll talk. 

I'd target $2MM for the QB2. If Flacco wants to come here at $4MM I wouldn't get all bent out of shape over the difference, but I think he could get that from a team with a better shot at him starting (and therefore make him more likely to hit incentives that'd double it or more). Beyond that amt? You can keep playing that game (Well...$5M is only $1M more than $4M; well $6M is only 1MM more than 5MM...), but I wouldn't play. But since that slippery slope logic is unlikely to be limited to this one position, it adds up more than people realize, and before you know it we've downgraded a UFA starter from an OL fixture we keep for 3-5 years to a slouch like Long that we'll dump immediately after his 1 or 2 yrs of guaranteed money's over. 

This is a year where we can't backload contracts so much b/c of the CBA. So it's not as easy to spend now and feel it later, especially given the half-a-team worth of starters we need to upgrade (or need outright). Next year - if we cut ties with Bell - it'll feel like an extra $25MM/year between him and Trumaine Johnson. (Of course that will be short-lived, since Darnold will be extension-eligible after 3 years, but that's the case regardless.). But there'll be time for makeup sex in wasting a couple bucks here & there.

I'd see him as Fitz II: good enough to just still have the team fail to reach the playoffs. Meanwhile, Flacco's mouth is just what a Gase team doesn't need (to the extent anyone needs it). Especially a guy who's made his money already, and has nothing really to lose -- he'll be 36 if he's cut after 1 year and didn't have much NFL time left anyway. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/6/2020 at 9:17 AM, jgb said:

Referring to Sperm's post, I think you may overestimate the cost of some of these guys. Could've had Tannehill for $2M. Jeeze, Macc.

Well he did cost a 4th round draft pick, too. Even I can’t hit him for that when he was looking for a warm body that could start for a stretch and Siemian was $1M plus no pick. Guy got hurt after 5 min; what can you do? Sticking with Falk for 3 games was pretty bad, though, especially when they saw how limited or awful he was. But that’s on Gase/Douglas not Maccagnan.

42 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well he did cost a 4th round draft pick, too. Even I can’t hit him for that when he was looking for a warm body that could start for a stretch and Siemian was $1M plus no pick. Guy got hurt after 5 min; what can you do? Sticking with Falk for 3 games was pretty bad, though, especially when they saw how limited or awful he was. But that’s on Gase/Douglas not Maccagnan.

Tannehill wasn’t a real option because he would never play for Gase again 

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Tannehill wasn’t a real option because he would never play for Gase again 

Why do you make stuff up? Tannehill and Gase had a good relationship.  He wouldn't sign here because he wanted to go to a place where he may have a chance to play.  He's not beating out Sam but he had a chance to play if Mariota struggled.  

Ryan Tannehill is like a modern Pat Ryan or Don Strock.  Good backups who can come in and play well for stretches but not guys you can count on from day 1 to start.

On 2/5/2020 at 12:12 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Nope.  I'd set the cap we should spend on the backup QB spot as no more than $4M.  There's no real sense in bringing in a "high-end" backup behind Darnold. 

The only time to spend big on your backup QB are the following 2 scenarios:

1. If evidence piles up that he's definitely NOT the guy, and we want to bring in a vet to compete, like the Tannehill/Mariota situation in Tennessee this past season.  
  2.  We're a true contending team with a QB who tends to miss games here and there, like the Saints with Brees/Bridgewater.  

I see @jetspenguin and @Villain The Foe were confused by the above post.  I thought it was a pretty straight-forward argument.  Where's the confusion fellas?

9 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Why do you make stuff up? Tannehill and Gase had a good relationship.  He wouldn't sign here because he wanted to go to a place where he may have a chance to play.  He's not beating out Sam but he had a chance to play if Mariota struggled.  

Ryan Tannehill is like a modern Pat Ryan or Don Strock.  Good backups who can come in and play well for stretches but not guys you can count on from day 1 to start.

Lol right. By the way when I predicted Tannehill would start by game 4 last season, people laughed and no one agreed. But I’m sure I’ll be told I was wrong because it was game 6.

On 2/8/2020 at 5:07 PM, jgb said:

Lol right. By the way when I predicted Tannehill would start by game 4 last season, people laughed and no one agreed. But I’m sure I’ll be told I was wrong because it was game 6.

Please see I any info that Ryan and Gase had a poor relationship?  

Tannehill didn't start until game 7.

How did Ryan do in their biggest regular season game then in the playoffs?  He's proven he can win when he has great production from a RB, otherwise he can't win.  Ajayi in 16, Henry this year.  I hope some team gives him a give contract but no one is dumb enough to do that.

• 1 month later...

Broncos waive Joe Flacco

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 19, 2020, 12:51 PM EDT

The Broncos were hoping Joe Flacco would lend some stability to their quarterback position, but he didn’t last half the season.

Now, they’re moving on.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Broncos are waiving the veteran quarterback with a failed physical designation.

They had already cast their lot with 2019 second-rounder Drew Lock, and signed Jeff Driskel to serve as his backup.

With a $20.25 million salary, it was obvious they were going to part ways with Flacco, who now goes into a flooded market of quarterbacks, where he’ll have to look for a backup job (at a reduced rate).

After a neck injury ended his 2019 season, he has said he hopes to play again, but only if it wouldn’t compromise his long-term health.

Getir done, Joe.

• 2 months later...