Bell comments re: Gase

CTJetsFan

Le'Veon Bell‘s first season with the Jets was unsuccessful on the field and it played out with a narrative that head coach Adam Gase didn’t particularly want him on the roster.

Bell signed with the Jets when Mike Maccagnan was still the team’s General Manager, but Maccagnan was fired before last season and reports that Gase didn’t want to sign Bell popped up throughout the year. That led to chatter about the team trying to trade the running back this offseason, but Bell downplayed any issues between him and the coach.

“Everybody blowing everything out of proportion,” Bell said, via TMZ. “Water under the bridge — we’re fine. We good . . . Jets for four more years unless something drastic changes.”

Bell’s actually under contract for three more years and it becomes possible for the Jets to move on without hurting their cap too much after the 2020 season. There’s a lot to play out before reaching that point and that makes it likely that this won’t be the last time we check in on the relationship between Bell and Gase.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/le-veon-bell-adam-gase-154023775.html

• Post of the Week 1

36 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Nice.

Manish will write ten more articles saying how much the players hate Gase.

But hey, wins and losses are all that matter. Gase gets this year to turn this around.

but the wins an dlosses didnt matter last year? or his years in Miami? 

Why do the jets always make us not count the wins and losses, every next year is a prove it year untill they bring in the next GM or HC. I wish the first year was the prove it year, dont you?

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Le'Veon Bell has been a class act on and off the field. 

I could not agree more.  I was 100% wrong on what I thought we were getting in that regard. Now if he could just get 1000 yds I'd feel better about the super great nice guy we have here. :) 

• Upvote 2

the big knock is that gase allegedly didn't use bell enough.  it's true that bell got 3-5 fewer carries  per game than he did with the steelers but he was off about 1 yard per carry.  the point is it's tough to give a rb a ton of carries if he's not getting the yards.  part of that needs to be at the feet of the oline.  that group did not do a very good job run blocking.  another part reason may be bell not being ready for the season.  sure he worked out but he didn't appear in any pre-season games.  it also looked like his carries tailed off in the middle of the season after starting out strong.  it also ended strong.  as it is, if bell averaged just one more yard per carry he would have easily had a 1000 yard season and, coupled to his pass, catching, would've been responsible for about 110 yards per game of offense.  not quite steeler numbers but pretty good.

the bottom line is if the oline gets revamped and turnout to be average then bell's ypc should get back up to where he was with the steelers.  that'll give gase more incentive to use him.  add a coupe more carries per game and a couple more pass receptions and this guy will be right back where he was with the steelers.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

The OL was bad a big reflection on Bell. 

Team him up with a rookie speedster for 1-2 punch of the backfield. 

Be that as it may, he definitely looked slower and heavier last season. When he had the rare opportunity to kick in the afterburner on a run he never really seemed to hit the next level. Still like him and think he can bounce back next season. However, I really wish he would on occasion just burst into the hole instead of always waiting for something to open up. 

2 minutes ago, shevys said:

Be that as it may, he definitely looked slower and heavier last season. When he had the rare opportunity to kick in the afterburner on a run he never really seemed to hit the next level. Still like him and think he can bounce back next season. However, I really wish he would on occasion just burst into the hole instead of always waiting for something to open up. 

Agree I would also like to add a rookie speedster to the NY Jets backfield this season. 

23 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This wasn’t exactly a ringing endorsement of Gase - it was an attempt at mending the fences and nothing more.

Sounds like he’s fine with the player but just didn’t (and still doesn’t) want to spend that much on a RB. But what’s done is done, and there’s little that can be done about it until after this season.

Bell, for his part, is playing this smart. If he gets into a thing with Gase, he doesn’t get carries. Then he gets cut and no one’s going to pay him big again. Not likely to happen anyway, but it’ll be that much less if he’s demoted or merely splitting carries.

I think they both want success and just realize they’re stuck with each other. Also add a dash of Gase has maybe been working on his people skills lol. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

but the wins an dlosses didnt matter last year? or his years in Miami? 

Why do the jets always make us not count the wins and losses, every next year is a prove it year untill they bring in the next GM or HC. I wish the first year was the prove it year, dont you?

Because unless youre either delusional or rewriting history, 7 wins was more or less where everyone predicted we'd wind up before the season started.  Now its like we were a 9 or 10 win team talent wise that were held back.

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Sounds like he’s fine with the player but just didn’t (and still doesn’t) want to spend that much on a RB. But what’s done is done, and there’s little that can be done about it until after this season.

Bell, for his part, is playing this smart. If he gets into a thing with Gase, he doesn’t get carries. Then he gets cut and no one’s going to pay him big again. Not likely to happen anyway, but it’ll be that much less if he’s demoted or merely splitting carries.

I think they both want success and just realize they’re stuck with each other. Also add a dash of Gase has maybe been working on his people skills lol. 

What I think is happening is Gase doesn’t want Bell.  The reason he wasn’t getting carries is because he’s not good anymore.

What I saw, and I realize I’m in the minority around here, was a RB that was incredibly slow and entire ineffective.  I know he was never fast but I saw from him last year was someone with no burst whatsoever.  Which he used to have.  He would wait for a hole then explode through it - he just didn’t have that. 

28 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

What I think is happening is Gase doesn’t want Bell.  The reason he wasn’t getting carries is because he’s not good anymore.

What I saw, and I realize I’m in the minority around here, was a RB that was incredibly slow and entire ineffective.  I know he was never fast but I saw from him last year was someone with no burst whatsoever.  Which he used to have.  He would wait for a hole then explode through it - he just didn’t have that. 

No doubt he looked slow, but that's not the only thing Bell brings. If taking handoffs was his only value, then he never would have been franchise tagged in the first place (let alone twice in a row). But Gase's desire to not have Bell on the team stemmed from before he looked slow for the Jets.

Since we're tied to him for another year - barring something unexpected trade-wise - I'm holding out hope he was shaking off a year off of rust (after an overused year in 2017) and will look a lot better this year. It's not like he was old or anything, despite the silliness from some all season long, framing a 27 year-old as an old man.