Beerfish

Guys names I see on the mock  simulators past the 1st round seem to be:

Austin Jackson - USC

Prince Tega Wanagho - Auburn

Isiah Wilson - Georgia

Lucas Niang - TCU

Trey Adams - Washington

Matt Peart - Connecticut

So who is the best of this lot?  Who else should be in this group for 2nd tier OT's (left or right)

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Guys names I see on the mock  simulators past the 1st round seem to be:

Austin Jackson - USC

Prince Tega Wanagho - Auburn

Isiah Wilson - Georgia

Lucas Niang - TCU

Trey Adams - Washington

Matt Peart - Connecticut

So who is the best of this lot?  Who else should be in this group for 2nd tier OT's (left or right)

I like the two I highlighted above as picks after Round 1.  The Prince likely goes in the 2nd, Peart seems like a 3rd rounder.

I don't know if you have Josh Jones from Houston in your Tier 1 but he's a guy who probably sits at the end of Tier 1 or the very beginning of Tier 2.  @bitonti has some opinions on him, especially his potential fit for the Jets.

Another name of a deep sleeper brought up in the Mock Draft thread by @BklynJetsFan85 was Alex Taylor for SC State.

• Upvote 2

Prince Tega failed Senior Bowl medicals for a knee injury (usually the player's agent pulls the player out to recover or whatever) - a red flag at SB is rare -  so this situation bears watching 

the most important part of the combine happens in medical exam room 

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2020/01/prince-tega-wanogho-i-didnt-pull-out-i-was-pulled-out-from-senior-bowl.html

it's really hard to rank these guys without workouts 

Becton could show up like Jon Ogden and go 4 or he could go show up like Terrance Cody and go 4th round 

• Upvote 1

My favorite out of this group is Wanogho. He is a bit raw right now but has the most upside.

I also like Niang right behind him.

Then A.Jackson.

Then Adams but I worry about his back injury in college.

Peart is more of a project, I'd look at him later on in the draft. 

To be honest I don't know much about Wilson. I always kind of wrote him off as an NFL OG prospect and project. But maybe I am wrong. With Kindley and Thomas being part of that same O-line, I haven't paid nearly as much attention to him. 

SIDENOTE: Josh Jones out of Houston should be on this list.     

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

SIDENOTE: Josh Jones out of Houston should be on this list.     

Disgree, I think he's Tier 1. He won't make it iut the 1st. Heck, the more I watch his tape the higher I put him up top my OT rankings.

If we were to trade down and draft him, I'd be lowkey ecstatic

• Upvote 3

I don’t know how his interviews go since he supposedly got suspended for drug tests in college (at the very least got suspended) but Saahdiq Charles looked good when I watched him and was part of a big time line in college. Think he’s being slept on right now as a tier 2 tackle.

Jackson is my favorite option for R2 and Peart is my favorite for R3. The small school tackle who was at the Senior Bowl is interesting too. Bartch I think.

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Trey Adams scares me a little. With so many other options in those first 3 rounds I wouldn’t mind if he didn’t become a Jet. 

Adams has the potential to turn into a great draft value if he falls into the 4th round. I get that his injury history isn’t good and his back may have sapped a little of his flexibility, but to me he looks like a plug and play starter at RT and if you can find that past the 4th round it an excellent value. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/5/2020 at 5:50 PM, jetstream23 said:

Trey Adams scares me a little. With so many other options in those first 3 rounds I wouldn’t mind if he didn’t become a Jet. 

He’s my top pick for the 2nd round obvi then the 3rd as well if he falls

if healthy he’s a top 5 overall pick. The potential of that steal is too tantalizing for me to pass up. The jets have thrown away so many 2nd rounders that I’m probably over eager to get a home run. I’ve been reading about him for years and I want him. Taking an OT at 11 and double dipping on Adams who at 6’7” is a giant- we’d have bookends for Sams whole career if it worked out. The lesser of them would play RT or even guard if needed. Let them battle it out for years. 

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

USC OT Austin Jackson a top-25 player in the 2020 NFL Draft?

The player who has impressed me the most from the Pac-12 so far is USC tackle Austin Jackson.

Watching his footwork, lateral range, and ability to adjust makes me believe Jackson is the purest left tackle prospect in the 2020 NFL Draft. He’s not as strong or as good a run blocker as my higher-rated tackles, but Jackson comes with great upside.

As the 2019 college season closed out, a west coast scout told me he believed Jackson was a top-15 pick. I didn’t believe him then and don’t believe him now, but I absolutely think Jackson will be a top-25 choice.

Austin Jackson

Josh Jones - Borderline tier 1, I've fallen for him, feet do the thing I like, strong hands

Lucas Niang - If he's healthy he can move. There's injury and there's a strength inconsistency but he's legit

Matt Peart - I really like his game. I think he's a guard right now but if he figures out spacing he can do well

Prince Tega Wanagho - I loved him but he over-extends a lot. Looks dominating during some reps and less so in others.

Austin Jackson - I don't see it. Weak, messy, overpowered by guys with both strength and speed. I stay away but his tools exist they're just a year away from being functional tools

Also- LUCAS NIANG, LUCAS NIANG, LUCAS NIANG

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Josh Jones - Borderline tier 1, I've fallen for him, feet do the thing I like, strong hands

Lucas Niang - If he's healthy he can move. There's injury and there's a strength inconsistency but he's legit

Matt Peart - I really like his game. I think he's a guard right now but if he figures out spacing he can do well

Prince Tega Wanagho - I loved him but he over-extends a lot. Looks dominating during some reps and less so in others.

Austin Jackson - I don't see it. Weak, messy, overpowered by guys with both strength and speed. I stay away but his tools exist they're just a year away from being functional tools

I'm curious why you think Peart is a guard? He's long and lean, almost borderline skinny and has some pretty good feet. He's easily one of my favorites later in the draft as strictly a Tackle at the next level.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, RobR said:

I'm curious why you think Peart is a guard? He's long and lean, almost borderline skinny and has some pretty good feet. He's easily one of my favorites later in the draft as strictly a Tackle at the next level.

Because I think he’s strong enough to handle it and good enough where I think he’ll be able to play immediately. You’re probably right and there’s some laziness in my analysis but I’m also trying to avoid claiming that there are 8 day one tackle starters.

5 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Because I think he’s strong enough to handle it and good enough where I think he’ll be able to play immediately. You’re probably right and there’s some laziness in my analysis but I’m also trying to avoid claiming that there are 8 day one tackle starters.

I definitely don't agree with that. He needs work, especially as it relates to strength but he has every measurable you look for in a LT even though he played mostly on the right side, or at least in the tape I've watched.

I've done  a bunch of tape work on these prospects and I've never been this giddy about OT's in a draft ever. Normally I have some players that I absolutely hate even though they are ranked high.....just not this year. 

I like Peart a lot, but only as a tackle. I also think he's going to go a lot higher than many think....I have a 2nd round grade on him.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, RobR said:

I definitely don't agree with that. He needs work, especially as it relates to strength but he has every measurable you look for in a LT even though he played mostly on the right side, or at least in the tape I've watched.

I've done  a bunch of tape work on these prospects and I've never been this giddy about OT's in a draft ever. Normally I have some players that I absolutely hate even though they are ranked high.....just not this year. 

I like Peart a lot, but only as a tackle. I also think he's going to go a lot higher than many think....I have a 2nd round grade on him.

The only issue I have with Peart has nothing to do with Peart. He was really good against whoever played across from him. He had more push than I expected but he played at UConn. I like him more than I liked every OT except Jonah Williams last year. I honestly see 8 tackles taken in the first 2 rounds.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, kdels62 said:

The only issue I have with Peart has nothing to do with Peart. He was really good against whoever played across from him. He had more push than I expected but he played at UConn. I like him more than I liked every OT except Jonah Williams last year. I honestly see 8 tackles taken in the first 2 rounds.

I may be one of the few who wouldn't have a problem waiting on OT until Round 2 if the Jets use the #11 on an elite WR like Jerry Jeudy.  BUT, I get the feeling the Jets may have to maneuver up in Round 2 to get the OT they'd want.  I'm not sure I want to give up a pick, even a late pick, to go from #48 to the 30's or something but it might be necessary to grab a higher quality OT with less bust risk.

And let me contradict myself a bit here. :P  I see the quality of OTs and WRs being similar in Round 1.  I don't know if that's the case for Round 2.  I think there will higher quality WRs than OTs in that 2nd round.  Guys like Justin Jefferson, Reagor, Brandon Ayuik, etc. seem better than Austin Jackson, Prince Wanogho, Matthew Peart, etc.  So an approach of OT in Rd. 1 and WR in Rd. 2 might make more sense but we'd have to be able to stomach taking the 3rd or 4th best OT at #11 when all of the WRs could be on the Board staring us in the face.  Just my take.

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I may be one of the few who wouldn't have a problem waiting on OT until Round 2 if the Jets use the #11 on an elite WR like Jerry Jeudy.  BUT, I get the feeling the Jets may have to maneuver up in Round 2 to get the OT they'd want.  I'm not sure I want to give up a pick, even a late pick, to go from #48 to the 30's or something but it might be necessary to grab a higher quality OT with less bust risk.

And let me contradict myself a bit here. :P  I see the quality of OTs and WRs being similar in Round 1.  I don't know if that's the case for Round 2.  I think there will higher quality WRs than OTs in that 2nd round.  Guys like Justin Jefferson, Reagor, Brandon Ayuik, etc. seem better than Austin Jackson, Prince Wanogho, Matthew Peart, etc.  So an approach of OT in Rd. 1 and WR in Rd. 2 might make more sense but we'd have to be able to stomach taking the 3rd or 4th best OT at #11 when all of the WRs could be on the Board staring us in the face.  Just my take.

Yeh, I think you nailed it -- the WR depth is excellent, you get a legitimate playmaker in the 3rd or 4th so OT in Rd1 really makes the most sense as much as I love Lamb and Jeudy. 

On 2/19/2020 at 6:33 PM, kdels62 said:

He's Tier 1 to me. His footwork is damn near immaculate, plus he moves very well in space and knows how to use his hands. Fits our zone blocking perfectly

Wouldn't mind trading down and taking him at all

• Upvote 3

On 2/20/2020 at 6:16 PM, bigalbarracuda said:

Yeh, I think you nailed it -- the WR depth is excellent, you get a legitimate playmaker in the 3rd or 4th so OT in Rd1 really makes the most sense as much as I love Lamb and Jeudy. 

We're taking a LT at 11 unless JD thinks the run on them above us puts us in the 2nd tier & he doesn't see an instant starter. 

We have so many holes the most important thing is to get a STUD with that 1st pick. Whether it's an Olineman or a WR. 

This is still a 2 year rebuild. Start stacking some Super Stars. 

On 2/20/2020 at 3:16 PM, bigalbarracuda said:

I agree with this.
In fact, this is the reason I think we go CB in round 2, unless a super-stud WR falls to 48, like Justin Jefferson. 

• Upvote 2

On 2/18/2020 at 9:58 PM, cant wait said:

Isaiah Wilson is intriguing. Obviously overshadowed by Andrew Thomas at UGA but he was a rock solid RT for them and former 5 star recruit himself. Could be a nice value in round 2 or 3

Triple dip: Thomas, Wilson and Kindley! Could do worse!

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

If this draft gets to 11 and both Jones and Thomas are there, I'm taking a trade down if its available. Adding another 3rd rounder or even a second rounder could really make this team a contender quickly. 

That would be Mac level atrocious. If Thomas is there at 11 (he won't) you run up to the podium and turn in the card and don't try and get too cute and outsmart yourself.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, RobR said:

That would be Mac level atrocious. If Thomas is there at 11 (he won't) you run up to the podium and turn in the card and don't try and get too cute and outsmart yourself.

The value in trading down along with the early actions of teams and Thomas's slide amongst the better draft guys makes me feel like some of these tackles especially Jones and Thomas will be available after a short drop in the draft. Gettleman talking about defense makes me feel like he's targeting Isaiah Simmons. Arizona took themselves out of the early OT draft race. There aren't enough teams in front of us for the tackle well to dry up. 

5 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

The value in trading down along with the early actions of teams and Thomas's slide amongst the better draft guys makes me feel like some of these tackles especially Jones and Thomas will be available after a short drop in the draft. Gettleman talking about defense makes me feel like he's targeting Isaiah Simmons. Arizona took themselves out of the early OT draft race. There aren't enough teams in front of us for the tackle well to dry up. 

You're overthinking it, just like Mac used to and you're buying into rumors at a time when rumors are rampant. I have no idea why people are saying that Thomas is sliding but I don't buy it one bit. He is everything you look for in a LT and I can't find a single red flag on him.

Maybe a side bet with 11 as the O/U. Loser can only respond and quote Jetnut for an entire week.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, RobR said:

You're overthinking it, just like Mac used to and you're buying into rumors at a time when rumors are rampant. I have no idea why people are saying that Thomas is sliding but I don't buy it one bit. He is everything you look for in a LT and I can't find a single red flag on him.

Maybe a side bet with 11 as the O/U. Loser can only respond and quote Jetnut for an entire week.

That bet is amazing. 11 is a push? Quoting and responding to Jetnut for a week after draft week will be brutal. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, kdels62 said:

That bet is amazing. 11 is a push? Quoting and responding to Jetnut for a week after draft week will be brutal

Yeah, I think I'm chickening out. As much as I love Thomas I don't think I could subject myself to that. Definitely a bad proposal on my part.

Side note: Do you think Thomas could fall to 11 or later? I sure as hell don't.

7 minutes ago, RobR said:

Yeah, I think I'm chickening out. As much as I love Thomas I don't think I could subject myself to that. Definitely a bad proposal on my part.

I don't think he should. I think value-wise the top 5 OTs should all go before 11 because the cost and ability of those guys are so great. But it doesn't work like that and I just think there isn't room for 5 OTs to be drafted that early and if that's true it looks like the 2 guys in the rear of the wagon are Thomas and Jones. I'd take Thomas before everyone else except Wirfs (so versatile I can't help but love him).

So yes, I think Thomas could be there and I'd want him badly but the question is "Do I want him more than I want a combination of Jones and Mims or Jones and Justin Jefferson?"

1 hour ago, RobR said:

I totally agree with this idea about Thomas - now is when the top guys start to get picked apart for clicks.  No one is going to read 100 articles saying Thomas is the best, they want to see why Dane Brugler or Matt Miller thinks Wirfs or Wills is better. 

To me the key with Thomas was his arm measurements, 36 inches is excellent, longer then the entire class except Peart.  

Unless a team has a LT and is strictly looking to build their OL with a RT/G like Wills or Wirfs, I do think Thomas winds up as a top 10 pick and if he doest, he would be an excellent pick at 11.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, kdels62 said:

If this draft gets to 11 and both Jones and Thomas are there, I'm taking a trade down if its available. Adding another 3rd rounder or even a second rounder could really make this team a contender quickly. 

I think this could be in play if someone behind us falls in love with LOVE. It's definitely not out of the realm of possibility. 

We're sitting right outside of the top 10 at 11, and we have a few teams behind us looking for a QB. We're definitely NOT in the QB market & other franchises know we have a lot of holes & will be seriously considering more draft picks. This is going to be a fun draft. 

On 2/26/2020 at 3:01 PM, Jethead said:

Triple dip: Thomas, Wilson and Kindley! Could do worse!

I’m not expecting Thomas to be there at 11 but absolutely. Although it would be fun to take Becton and Wilson and go full planet theory with that pair of behemoth 6’7 350 pound bookend OT’s

On 2/26/2020 at 7:38 PM, RobR said:

If he makes it past 11, I'll sh*t. 

• Haha 1