What If?

Warfish

Due to other discussion today, I'm curious what people honestly think.

WHAT IF: 

What if the 2018 New York Jets had chosen to sit firm at pick # 6 in the 2018 Draft, and retained their three 2nd round picks (#37 & #49 in 2018 and #34 in 2019).

Instead of drafting Sam Darnold at #3 overall, the Jets instead chose to draft:

2018 #6:    Josh Allen, QB
2018 #37:  Courtland Sutton, WR
2018 #49:  Connor Williams, Guard
2019 #34:  Dalton Risner, O-Tackle

What would be the big differences between what happened and this alternate scenario?  For purposes of this I'm not changing any other move the team made.

Would our record be 11-21 combined in 2018 & 2019?  Would it be better, or worse, and why?

Would our Offenses have been ranked 29th and 32nd, respectively, in 2018 & 2019?  Would it be better, or worse, and why?

Would our outlook for 2020 be better?  Worse?  Why?

Would we be looking at WR and O-Line in the 2020 Draft?  Or other positions?  And why?

Thread is admittedly 100% speculative and calls for opinion.  No answer is wrong, and no one can truly know. 

So have fun, speculate, and tell us what you think this alternate universe might look like today. :)

• Upvote 1

Darnold is better than Allen, so that alternate scenario would have been very bad for the Jets.

Land the quarterback.  Then land the GM.  Then let the GM build an offense tailored to that QB. 

It's Year 1.  Consider Darnold's first two years as positive, real-world experience for a kid who would otherwise still be in college and nothing more.  Instead of drafting graduating Darnold right now, we've got NFL eyes on two years of seeing who he is and what he needs.  Joe D simply now has to get it done.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

What’s that smell? Oh that’s the smell of fresh agendas hot out the oven.

Call it Devil's Advocating.

To hold a view, you should (in theory) be able to defend a view, or explain why an alternate view is or isn't better.

Lets be honest, I make you all better debaters simply by existing here at JN.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

WHAT IF: 

What if the 2018 New York Jets had chosen to sit firm at pick # 6 in the 2018 Draft, and retained their three 2nd round picks (#37 & #49 in 2018 and #34 in 2019).

What would be the big differences between what happened and this alternate scenario?  For purposes of this I'm not changing any other move the team made.

Would our record be 11-21 combined in 2018 & 2019?  Would it be better, or worse, and why?

Would our Offenses have been ranked 29th and 32nd, respectively, in 2018 & 2019?  Would it be better, or worse, and why?

Would we be looking at WR and O-Line in the 2020 Draft?  Or other positions?  And why?

Thread is admittedly 100% speculative and calls for opinion.  No answer is wrong, and no one can truly know. 

So have fun, speculate, and tell us what you think this alternate universe might look like today. :)

What IF... in 2017 they pick Pat Maholmes at the #6 spot instead of Adams... 

2018 #6: Nelson, OL

2018 #37: James Daniels, C

2018: #49:  DJ Chark, WR

2019: #34: Rok-Ya Sin, CB

hmmmmm... 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

The real what if is Sam dropping to #6 - many said that the Jets should let the draft fall to them and I think it would have, who else would have traded up for Sam?

lol that was NEVER going to happen. If Darnold has slipped past the Giants with Indy at 3 there would have been an insane bidding war to get the pick. You’d be looking at us trading 3 first rounders to move up 3 spots.

WHAT IF: 

This is treason. Worthy of suspension. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Josh Allen would still suck. We would no longer enjoy it as much. 

and we'd all be sitting here, wondering if:  a) douglas will trade josh allen, b) douglas will draft another qb in the first round, c) douglas will acquire someone like cam newton or phillip rivers, or d) we continue to suck with josh allen.

WHAT IF: 

I believe when all is said and done that the difference between Darnold and Allen is going to be BIG. The other oline talent would be great, but i see Allen hitting a ceiling much sooner than Darnold.

• Sympathy 1

WHAT IF: 

this is an excellent point and further makes mac look like a fool for passing on watson/mahomes to wait for darnold.  i have no doubt darnold will be a very good qb but if the jets can't put a decent team around him then he becomes another matt stafford or even philip rivers.  and it's not like allen is that terrible.  yes he essentially lost the bills playoff game (twice) but he throws well enough and has good running ability.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

WHAT IF: 

Sadly, wanna know what I think would have happened?  With Buffalo already trading up to #7 I don't see them moving up any further. I think the Jets still grab Darnold with the 6th pick. Unless Cleveland picked Sam too to have both QB's  hahaha

So the Jets would have had Sam AND the 3 2nd rdrs.  I struggle with even pretending Macchiato's would have taken the two linemen you mention here, but for the sake if the game I think we would have been a bit better and Bowles and Macc would still be here.  

So no... I do not like this scenario as I think Bowles is the worst coach ever. 

• Sympathy 1